Nebraska under investigation

Here is the link to the Husker Board if anyone cares to see what the natives are thinking.

Mostly a few minutes of polite "can't get into the details".

Trev looked/sounded good and polished to me, granted I've never seen/heard him before.

Frost looks like a convenience store worker. Camo trucker "N" hat and all.
Alberts did quite a bit of TV work after he retired from his short NFL career. He was a college football guy in the early years at CNN/SI when they were trying to operate a sports network to rival ESPN and then worked for ESPN for a few years. I don't think he's the guy to restore Nebraska to their former glory, but he's quite comfortable in front of a camera.

Alberts did quite a bit of TV work after he retired from his short NFL career. He was a college football guy in the early years at CNN/SI when they were trying to operate a sports network to rival ESPN and then worked for ESPN for a few years. I don't think he's the guy to restore Nebraska to their former glory, but he's quite comfortable in front of a camera.
Bolded: curious, why not?

I am worried about him, tbh. Once he cans Frost ... what if he is able to lure away Matt Campbell? Or hire a similarly promising up-and-comer coach from the MAC or Mountain West?

I am worried about him, tbh. Once he cans Frost ... what if he is able to lure away Matt Campbell? Or hire a similarly promising up-and-comer coach from the MAC or Mountain West?
Let's pump the brakes on Campbell being the best thing since sliced bread. He's followed a series of failures at ISU that has set a really low bar to clear. He coaches in a conference that views playing defense as an option. He won last season after Covid interrupted a full season for two conferences. He beat an Oregon team that shouldn't even have been the Pac12 representative. And finally... he's blessed to have a very senior laden lineup this year.

I'm not sure he's even better than Fleck right now.

Nebraska, now, isn't your daddy's Huskers. They still haven't figured out how to win November football in B1G country. It's not a big time destination.

I probably should have said "I don't necessarily think he's the guy. . . " since he certainly has some of the tools to be successful. In a lot of ways, the job is to return Nebraska to competing for national championships in football and I don't even know if that is possible.

The two biggest question marks in my mind are, first, that he's a "Tom Osborne is my mentor" guy and that hearkens back to a prior era where the winning was omnipresent, but the corners were cut in ways that aren't feasible now. Second, he was a candidate for the job twice before, including just 3-4 years ago, and was passed over. Maybe he just wasn't quite ready, but there were reasons why he wasn't the choice when they hired the last two guys and I don't think he did anything at UNO in the past few years to change that.

Sure, if he or any AD identifies and hires a successful football coach he's off to a great start. I just don't think he's in any better position to do that than dozens of other candidates.

Alberts is media savvy, and will be able to deal with the fanbase, too. I think he'll have a chance to hire his guy sooner rather than later. I think there's enough support from boosters to get rid of Frost after the 2021 season.

Most new ADs get the chance to make their own football hire.

Personally, I'd like Frost to win just enough this year to get another few years. But it's funny how the expectations have changed. Many Husker fans would settle for just qualifying for a bowl game this year.

Part of me wants Frost to stay, since it gives MN an easy win every season.

But I actually think he's bad for the B1G and the student-athletes at Nebraska. He reminds me of the jock-bully in those 80s movies. His "tough-guy" coaching tactics are not effective and are also dangerous for players.

That being said, I doubt the NCAA will heavily penalize him or Nebraska for this. But I'm hopeful that the new AD uses this as an opportunity to start fresh.

I probably should have said "I don't necessarily think he's the guy. . . " since he certainly has some of the tools to be successful. In a lot of ways, the job is to return Nebraska to competing for national championships in football and I don't even know if that is possible.

The two biggest question marks in my mind are, first, that he's a "Tom Osborne is my mentor" guy and that hearkens back to a prior era where the winning was omnipresent, but the corners were cut in ways that aren't feasible now. Second, he was a candidate for the job twice before, including just 3-4 years ago, and was passed over. Maybe he just wasn't quite ready, but there were reasons why he wasn't the choice when they hired the last two guys and I don't think he did anything at UNO in the past few years to change that.

Sure, if he or any AD identifies and hires a successful football coach he's off to a great start. I just don't think he's in any better position to do that than dozens of other candidates.
Bolded: interesting, did not know that.

Though frankly, I don't know why they hired Moos or what the connect was there to a Washington State guy.

One possible thing would be if Nebraska's president has changed recently, and so wanted to go a different way on the AD hire? No idea if true, guessing probably not.

Geeez, talk about polar opposites in looks and media presence. Alberts looks and sounds like he should be hosting a game show, and Frosty looks like he just got off the couch after watching/dozing on and off after a Saturday full of football games.

Geeez, talk about polar opposites in looks and media presence. Alberts looks and sounds like he should be hosting a game show, and Frosty looks like he just got off the couch after watching/dozing on and off after a Saturday full of football games.
Yeah, I am thankful that when I see our AD and football coach together I don't have to think "Boy, one of there guys looks and sounds like he was born to be on camera and the other looks and sounds like he's on his way to his IRS audit." Oh, wait.

But I actually think he's bad for the B1G and the student-athletes at Nebraska. He reminds me of the jock-bully in those 80s movies. His "tough-guy" coaching tactics are not effective and are also dangerous for players.

That being said, I doubt the NCAA will heavily penalize him or Nebraska for this. But I'm hopeful that the new AD uses this as an opportunity to start fresh.

Scott Frost would definitely "sweep the leg."

NERDS!!!!!

Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-featured.jpeg

12-20 for Frost - and now this! He was the dream coach and now the AD who hired him has been summarily dumped. Frost next?

Let's pump the brakes on Campbell being the best thing since sliced bread. He's followed a series of failures at ISU that has set a really low bar to clear. He coaches in a conference that views playing defense as an option. He won last season after Covid interrupted a full season for two conferences. He beat an Oregon team that shouldn't even have been the Pac12 representative. And finally... he's blessed to have a very senior laden lineup this year.

I'm not sure he's even better than Fleck right now.

Nebraska, now, isn't your daddy's Huskers. They still haven't figured out how to win November football in B1G country. It's not a big time destination.
Wow. I agree with a Boomtime post.

Is he a polished all-talk and no-action hire? Boy, Nebraska is really going to the pinnacle.

More on Frosty:

"Among the things on Frost’s to-do list? Win more than 3 B1G games. Produce a top-50 offense. Beat Iowa. Make a bowl game. Avoid getting fired.
How realistic is that unofficial to-do list? Time will tell."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The thing is, we need him to stay. We as fans need a punching bag to laugh at. Although Bratwurst Bielma might just take his place.

Just checking neb tech's schedule and don't see a lot of wins. they play at Oklahoma in a month and just guessing the sooner will put up 50+ points. They also have Michigan Ohio State and Iowa at home. Anyway you look at it, can't see frost surviving.

Just checking neb tech's schedule and don't see a lot of wins. they play at Oklahoma in a month and just guessing the sooner will put up 50+ points. They also have Michigan Ohio State and Iowa at home. Anyway you look at it, can't see frost surviving.
Yeah they got a rough schedule, not a good time to be desperate to show progress...

I like the Tech reference. They are not the flagship for the state anymore.
I think Midland University in Fremont, Nebraska has the best football program in the state. Actually I don't know that they even have football, but still better than the Omaha State Nebraska Polytechnic in Lafayette Cornhuskers.

The NebTech faithful on one of their fan forums have the Gophers as an “easy” B1G opponent they have to beat on their way to 7 or 8 wins in 2021.🧐

Top Bottom