NDSU or Iowa

As someone who believes the gophers have at least a small chance of getting 10 or 11 wins this year, you have to want any big ten west team to win any non-conference game. That is my thought.

If NDSU loses, great. That means Iowa may be undefeated when the Gophers play them and Bison fans truly are insufferable. If the Hawkeyes lose great; because an Iowa loss might be a sign that they are a paper tiger and are demoralized when the Gophers play them. Oh and how could Bison fans get more insufferable anyway?

See? Either loss is a "win/win" for Gopher fans.

If NDSU loses, great. That means Iowa may be undefeated when the Gophers play them and Bison fans truly are insufferable. If the Hawkeyes lose great; because an Iowa loss might be a sign that they are a paper tiger and are demoralized when the Gophers play them. Oh and how could Bison fans get more insufferable anyway?

See? Either loss is a "win/win" for Gopher fans.

I agree with this too, it is like when Wisconsin and Iowa play. I hope for a tie, but either way the enemy is losing.

I think that depends on ... how much that matters.

I think it matters if you go by folks looking at the stats closely.

But I also think the bigger issue for anyone outside of us isn't quite looking at it that granularly as much as if MN can beat either of the quadrangle ... at all. It's possible it's a push either way and just being able to beat Iowa or another upper half West team is what drives a ranking or perception.

Folks doing super granular SOS calculations are really more concerned with playoffs and etc, not us.

You are kidding, right? Have you watched the analyst shows? They all look at it from this perspective. The Playoff committee talks about it and that has a direct cascading effect with the bowl picks. If the Gophs are at 9+ wins, it absolutely matters.

If it's the difference between the Foster Farms Bowl and Pinstripe, who cares? I'd maybe care a little bit if the difference came down to Music City and Outback. That would be small consolation though.

Well yeah, that would mean the Gophs had a disappointing 6/7 win season. Completely matters if they are at 9+ wins.

As someone who believes the gophers have at least a small chance of getting 10 or 11 wins this year, you have to want any big ten west team to win any non-conference game. That is my thought.

Bingo. Sadly some people just don't get it.

What's the computer matter anymore after you've beaten a team in the top 15?

If Iowa loses to NDSU, they won't finish the year top 15. Also, I'll let you in on a secret: the computer doesn't matter in any scenario.

You are kidding, right? Have you watched the analyst shows? They all look at it from this perspective. The Playoff committee talks about it and that has a direct cascading effect with the bowl picks. If the Gophs are at 9+ wins, it absolutely matters.

Have you watched the analyst shows?

Have they ever spent much time seriously going over the Gophers ranking and opponent SOS?

So then it doesn't really matter.

Have they ever spent much time seriously going over the Gophers ranking and opponent SOS?

If the Gophers have 10+ wins and are ranked top 15 they will absolutely talk about their SOS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This question is easy. I work at NDSU, so of course I'm rooting for them. In fact, I'll be at the game wearing NDSU garb. I will likely get my a$$ kicked or beer dumped on me, but I'm going. I just hope NDSU isn't completely embarrassed. I'm hoping for a close game. With regard to NDSU fans, sure...there are some who are crazy and/or wildly unrealistic. But most are level-headed college football fans (and Vikings fans, so you have common cause there) who are just happy to have a winner to cheer for--at whatever level. Many NDSU fans are also Gopher fans as they grew up in MN. Regarding the obnoxious fans...well, most other NDSU fans find these people obnoxious too and are embarrassed when they show up on opponents boards (especially FBS opponents) talking trash.

NDSU has been a God-send for me. I get to watch the team play and usually I'm smiling at the end of the game. The Gophers--not so much smiling in the past few years. Of course, I'm certainly hoping for a different kind of Gopher season this year.

If the Gophers have 10+ wins and are ranked top 15 they will absolutely talk about their SOS.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Unless the rest of country falls apart I'd be surprised at either event, even if 10 wins happened.

It also still wouldn't matter...

Unless the rest of country falls apart I'd be surprised at either event, even if 10 wins happened.

It also still wouldn't matter...

TCU was very concerned how we were going to do last year. They were rooting for us in every game because they knew if we "looked" better, so did they. Assuming we have 10+ wins and we beat Iowa, the better Iowa looks (or is ranked by some computer), the better for us. Sure, us winning games is THE most important thing, but our SOS would matter in that scenario of a top 25 or top 15 season.

My main reason for cheering for Iowa is NDSU fans are FAR more annoying than Iowa fans - at least the ones I come across on a regular basis.

TCU was very concerned how we were going to do last year. They were rooting for us in every game because they knew if we "looked" better, so did they. Assuming we have 10+ wins and we beat Iowa, the better Iowa looks (or is ranked by some computer), the better for us. Sure, us winning games is THE most important thing, but our SOS would matter in that scenario of a top 25 or top 15 season.

My main reason for cheering for Iowa is NDSU fans are FAR more annoying than Iowa fans - at least the ones I come across on a regular basis.

TCU was hoping for the playoffs and we were the notable difference maker on their schedule compared to Baylor (who apparently is unable to play anyone OOC).

Iowa isn't getting us into the playoffs...

This question is easy. I work at NDSU, so of course I'm rooting for them. In fact, I'll be at the game wearing NDSU garb. I will likely get my a$$ kicked or beer dumped on me, but I'm going. I just hope NDSU isn't completely embarrassed. I'm hoping for a close game. With regard to NDSU fans, sure...there are some who are crazy and/or wildly unrealistic. But most are level-headed college football fans (and Vikings fans, so you have common cause there) who are just happy to have a winner to cheer for--at whatever level. Many NDSU fans are also Gopher fans as they grew up in MN. Regarding the obnoxious fans...well, most other NDSU fans find these people obnoxious too and are embarrassed when they show up on opponents boards (especially FBS opponents) talking trash.

NDSU has been a God-send for me. I get to watch the team play and usually I'm smiling at the end of the game. The Gophers--not so much smiling in the past few years. Of course, I'm certainly hoping for a different kind of Gopher season this year.

That reads like a packer fan talking that doesn't realize that they're all obnoxious fans. The very, very few level-headed packer fans that I know are outnumbered by a huge factor by the drunk a-holes that are the norm.

My hope? That one side loses, but that the one that doesn't lose has to forfeit the game. In that way, they both lose.

I have and, yes they talk about it for every top 25 team. I expect the Gophs to be in that group, because they should be able to take advantage of their favorable schedule, so their stronger opponents records and who they win/lose to matters a lot.

If Iowa loses to NDSU, they won't finish the year top 15. Also, I'll let you in on a secret: the computer doesn't matter in any scenario.
They would still have Michigan and Wisconsin on the schedule after losing to NDSU and the Gophers. Nebraska also could be ranked pretty high. The main point is I don't call our 1999 win over #2 Penn State a win over the #11 team in the final poll, or our win the next year over #6 Ohio State a win over an unranked team.

That reads like a packer fan talking that doesn't realize that they're all obnoxious fans. The very, very few level-headed packer fans that I know are outnumbered by a huge factor by the drunk a-holes that are the norm.

I'm glad you can read. That's a start. But comparisons to packer fans? Let's not get in the mud. I've got degrees from Univ of Illinois and the Univ of Minnesota. I've hated all things Wisconsin--certainly to include the Packers-- for as long as I can remember. I don't think most NDSU fans are even remotely similar to Packers fans.

I thought this was highly interesting. just published on ESPN from their writeup for this week

Under the radar: North Dakota State at Iowa. Don't dismiss the Bison. If they were in the FBS, they would rank 83rd in FPI and would have a higher rating than four Power 5 teams (Kentucky, Virginia, Iowa State and Kansas).

I'm glad you can read. That's a start. But comparisons to packer fans? Let's not get in the mud. I've got degrees from Univ of Illinois and the Univ of Minnesota. I've hated all things Wisconsin--certainly to include the Packers-- for as long as I can remember. I don't think most NDSU fans are even remotely similar to Packers fans.

You're not on the outside, so you are tainted. Wisconsin, Iowa, Packers, NDSU, and UND fans are about as obnoxious as they get. Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Virginia, Syracuse, and anyone in Nashville as about as nice as it gets.

You're not on the outside, so you are tainted. Wisconsin, Iowa, Packers, NDSU, and UND fans are about as obnoxious as they get. Nebraska, Illinois, Northwestern, Virginia, Syracuse, and anyone in Nashville as about as nice as it gets.

I agree with that statement 100%, minus NDSU. I've only been on the inside of NDSU for 2 years, so I feel I'm still pretty objective here. Very enthusiastic fans, sure. But vast majority are salt of the earth and would give you the shirt off their back. Everyone who mingles with NDSU fans at tailgates and games (home or away) seem to have great experiences with them. There are 3 or 4 NDSU fans who apparently don't have fulltime work because they are on other team boards 24/7 throwing hand grenades. But most are decent, just like the players and the coaches. Good people playing and watching football as God intended.

I'm rooting for Minnesota to beat CSU this weekend.

I find it amusing when the people from one Midwestern farm state acts like their fans are totally different from the people in the Midwestern farm state next door.

Agreed.

The whole insecurity about NDSU thing just makes gopher fans look bad.

Are you kidding?? It NEVER gets old worrying and obsessing about a school's team that not only isn't in the B1G, but isn't even in the FBS.

I find it amusing when the people from one Midwestern farm state acts like their fans are totally different from the people in the Midwestern farm state next door.

We have paved roads, electricity, and buildings taller than a grain silo here

I think you mean Saturday the 24th, but we will still take the love. BTW i checked the Iowa Rivals board to see the SAB thread for this week. Boy do you have an infestation of Bison fans. Your Hawkeyes better crush them. Otherwise they won't leave your board till they think they have you been convinced that they could beat the Superbowl champions with their second string...

GOPHERS big over Iowa big over Bison. Or the meteor option works too.

Top Bottom