NCAA Ruling Allows D-III St. Thomas to Make Unprecedented Leap to D-I

Neither of you understood what I said, though the points you make are perfectly valid. They just don't address what I said.

I said DII, not FCS (high scholarship), and I said percentage, not total dollars.

I'm merely making the point that it is absolutely, not at all true, that all of UST football players paid 100% of their school costs out of pocket last season, as might make sense on paper for the DIII level.

I saw it on twitter
Of the top 29 players in MN per 247 sports. Two are going to the U, 4th and 8th, and one is going to UST, Kowalkowski at 17th. Additionally the U might add number 2 (Townley). Who on that list is already committed to UST, and or by what metrics are the people committed to UST our top instate talent?

An 83 rating by 247 seems to be the cutoff for players signing with P5 teams, at least for the 2020 and 2021 classes.
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MN
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MN

For 2020, that was only the top 12, with Suggs opting to play basketball and not sure what happened with Thai Bowman of Armstrong. Gophers got #3, 5, and 7.

For 2021, that's only the top 9, with Ratzlaff opting to play hockey. Gophers have #4 and 8, and hopefully likely to also land #2.

Why didn't they just go into a scholarship conference? Not enough money?

Neither of you understood what I said, though the points you make are perfectly valid. They just don't address what I said.

I said DII, not FCS (high scholarship), and I said percentage, not total dollars.

I'm merely making the point that it is absolutely, not at all true, that all of UST football players paid 100% of their school costs out of pocket last season, as might make sense on paper for the DIII level.
I get it, no one at UST pays full price including the football players. The % of full price < at UST vs most other schools. That’s really true of most of the Miac privates, almost everyone gets some money and doesn’t pay full price. I’m sure UST slides academic funds in the direction of all their football players. Actually price though? >

I would say, if UST joined the MVFC, funding 63 schollys at UST going to cost a pretty penny more vs most of the public U’s in that league.

An 83 rating by 247 seems to be the cutoff for players signing with P5 teams, at least for the 2020 and 2021 classes.
https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MN
https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=highschool&State=MN

For 2020, that was only the top 12, with Suggs opting to play basketball and not sure what happened with Thai Bowman of Armstrong. Gophers got #3, 5, and 7.

For 2021, that's only the top 9, with Ratzlaff opting to play hockey. Gophers have #4 and 8, and hopefully likely to also land #2.
He's doing a year of prep school at St Thomas More in CT.

? Just go to UST football recruit twitter
Please let us know who on this list is committed to UST (other than Kowalkowski). If no one else is, tell us by what metrics the kids going to UST are the top players in the state.

This seems the be a rather arbitrary cutoff. I only looked at Kansas's 2020 commits and they had 7 under 83 composite.

Please let us know who on this list is committed to UST (other than Kowalkowski). If no one else is, tell us by what metrics the kids going to UST are the top players in the state.
Shawn Shipman had a UND offer, he is better then TK from North, the DL from Hutchinson, he is also in the top players in the class, DE from Wisconsin 6'4 250 all state. All really good players. A receiver out of Wisconsin has Div. I offers. Kowalkowski was next man up at NDSU, he is more accurate then the Gophers commit and has 40 pounds on him.

Tommyboy, I think its time for you to go back to St. Thomas and have a couple.

Shawn Shipman had a UND offer, he is better then TK from North, the DL from Hutchinson, he is also in the top players in the class, DE from Wisconsin 6'4 250 all state. All really good players. A receiver out of Wisconsin has Div. I offers. Kowalkowski was next man up at NDSU, he is more accurate then the Gophers commit and has 40 pounds on him.
Okay so your metrics are:

- a coveted UND offer
- being better than a two star running back
- weight

I didn't assume that you would provide much to back up your claims, but you essentially just said that these players are our top talent because they are our top talent. I get you are super high on Kowalkowski and he looked accurate in the video you posted of him training at St. Johns, but it looked like he was struggling to get the ball downfield. Additionally by your logic Mitch Leidner is a better quarterback than Drew Brees because he has 40 pounds on him.

- a coveted UND offer
- weight

I didn't assume that you would provide much to back up your claims, but you essentially just said that these players are our top talent because they are our top talent. I get you are super high on Kowalkowski and he looked accurate in the video you posted of him training at St. Johns, but it looked like he was struggling to get the ball downfield. Additionally by your logic Mitch Leidner is a better quarterback than Drew Brees because he has 40 pounds on him.
Greatest QB of all time.

I get it, no one at UST pays full price including the football players. The % of full price < at UST vs most other schools. That’s really true of most of the Miac privates, almost everyone gets some money and doesn’t pay full price. I’m sure UST slides academic funds in the direction of all their football players. Actually price though? >

I would say, if UST joined the MVFC, funding 63 schollys at UST going to cost a pretty penny more vs most of the public U’s in that league.
No doubt. Though 63 times, say $50k total FCoA at NDSU for a year, vs $100k total FCoA at UST for a year, is "only" $630k more per year. Not sure what MVFC football budgets are, but wouldn't be surprised if NDSU's is up around, what, $4-5 million per year? Maybe much more, $10 million? Would be curious to know.

This seems the be a rather arbitrary cutoff. I only looked at Kansas's 2020 commits and they had 7 under 83 composite.
Yeah it is. Two other factors to consider: 1) did they get a boost in their rating after signing with the P5 school, and 2) did MN players in 2020/2021 classes with ratings lower than 83 have scholarship offers from P5 and chose not to sign with them?

The latter you think wouldn't happen often, although there is additional nuance that I don't really understand, like an "un-committable offer". I don't understand why such a thing would exist, but it is what it is.

Guess I've run my course on this thread. While I wish the Tommies well, I'm not interested in following them any further as they made the jump from III to a lower level I.

- a coveted UND offer
- weight

Shipman is a very good athlete, natural runner, fast, he was a receiver and moved to running back. Smart kid. Once he gains more strength he will be a good college back. TK of North transferred from Shipman's HS from 6A to 2A.

Kowalkowski is over 6'2" over 215 pounds and just turned 17. He can throw over 60 yards, he does not have a week arm. He is one of the most accurate QB in the country at his age. He is under the radar, it has not helped him being in a football program based out of the 80's that does not throw or highlight players. Only QB on the ALL metro from a team that has not had receivers. The funny thing is I was participant at a Gophers camp when the kid was in 8th grade and like no one was there. Leidner and the QB that transferred that started for a while. It was funny because Kristoff was more accurate then Leidner in rollouts, Leidner would hit 1 out of 3, but the kid was a moose.

Shipman is a very good athlete, natural runner, fast, he was a receiver and moved to running back. Smart kid. Once he gains more strength he will be a good college back. TK of North transferred from Shipman's HS from 6A to 2A.

Kowalkowski is over 6'2" over 215 pounds and just turned 17. He can throw over 60 yards, he does not have a week arm. He is one of the most accurate QB in the country at his age. He is under the radar, it has not helped him being in a football program based out of the 80's that does not throw or highlight players. Only QB on the ALL metro from a team that has not had receivers. The funny thing is I was participant at a Gophers camp when the kid was in 8th grade and like no one was there. Leidner and the QB that transferred that started for a while. It was funny because Kristoff was more accurate then Leidner in rollouts, Leidner would hit 1 out of 3, but the kid was a moose.
He is the best 17 year old qb in the country.

He is the best 17 year old qb in the country.
Said he is one of the most accurate.This 2021 class has not had any opportunity for competition for over 1 year. Many have developed over the last year.

Do you really only have to complete 58% of your passes to be one of the most accurate QBs in the country? https://www.mnfootballhub.com/stats...7&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=3673113
It was Kowalkowski's lack of receivers that did him in. With the top instate talent, and many good players from the 5 state area he will be able to destroy the Toreros and Bulldogs. We will be looking back at the decision not to offer him a scholarship in the same way we kick ourselves for losing Jacques Perra.

Guess I've run my course on this thread. While I wish the Tommies well, I'm not interested in following them any further as they made the jump from III to a lower level I.
For football but not hockey.

You're really underestimating how much it costs to go to UST. D2 public schools are absolutely cheaper for most students except for the very smart, or very poor who might be eligible for more aid. Most of their players don't fit into either of those two categories.
Yeah.

people forget a half academic ride at UST means you pay 25k to go for a year if you live there

Said he is one of the most accurate.This 2021 class has not had any opportunity for competition for over 1 year. Many have developed over the last year.
We used to be like you. Every year the offense was going to explode - talent at qb and wr was thee best. We have learned.

Top Bottom