NCAA Ruling Allows D-III St. Thomas to Make Unprecedented Leap to D-I

Frisco Bowl 2020
And? Same as ever. NDSU vs whatever saps the rest of the country could produce. 20k Bison fans and 5k for the other team.

Ratings consistent with the low end bowl games.

Once UST gets their program going, what kid would want to attend NDSU for 4-5 years with your highlight of of football is eating buffalo-wings across the street from the stadium that looks like an old Holiday Inn on the inside vs. have the TC at your disposal?

Once UST gets their program going, what kid would want to attend NDSU for 4-5 years with your highlight of of football is eating buffalo-wings across the street from the stadium that looks like an old Holiday Inn on the inside vs. have the TC at your disposal?

Isn't that the same argument the gophers could make? TC as a selling point?

That just doesn't seem to be a big selling point.

Arguably there's a metric ton of better places to be than Fargo... kids still go there.

A lot of successful programs are in kinda crappy towns ... kids still go there.

The twin cities is not a big selling point for most recruits.

Isn't that the same argument the gophers could make? TC as a selling point?

That just doesn't seem to be a big selling point.

Arguably there's a metric ton of better places to be than Fargo... kids still go there.

A lot of successful programs are in kinda crappy towns ... kids still go there.

The twin cities is not a big selling point for most recruits.
I think it is for local kids.

Ha!!!!!

You got them there. Fargo is an up-jumped St Cloud.

Most teams in the 0 scholarship Pioneer league would be < Minnesota State & Duluth at the DII level who have upto 36 scholarships.

Ha!!!!!

You got them there. Fargo is an up-jumped St Cloud.

Tommy football will be lucky to crack the list of top events in the TC. We'll see, but zero scholarship football might not move the needle. We will see, I hope they are successful.

That, I agree with. Heck, wasn’t NDSU first ever DI game a crushing of Valpo?

UST in the MVFC, with a full financial commitment, and a new stadium (somewhere) or in the Lions stadium ... that would be intriguing.

Lets get real, the MIAC has been financing football players for decades. What is a 1/2 or 1/4 scholarship at UMD worth vs an academic scholarship of 30 to 40 thousand in the Pioneer league.

Lets get real, the MIAC has been financing football players for decades. What is a 1/2 or 1/4 scholarship at UMD worth vs an academic scholarship of 30 to 40 thousand in the Pioneer league.
Well and good, but the coaches are not allowed to tell recruits “you will have this much, if you play here”. If that athlete earns a scholarship from the school as a student, fine.

Well and good, but the coaches are not allowed to tell recruits “you will have this much, if you play here”. If that athlete earns a scholarship from the school as a student, fine.
right

The Twin Cities isn't a selling point to potential recruits? What world are you living in?

From a reliable source who knows the MIAC (a former coach), UST would be .600 in the NSIC. Not bad but not great.

Well, a division III program that is currently beating Div II teams is pretty good, once they pull in Div I talent in the next few years they will be able to complete at the next level.

Well, a division III program that is currently beating Div II teams is pretty good, once they pull in Div I talent in the next few years they will be able to complete at the next level.
Div 1 without scholarships is no better than div 3.

UST did not beat any D2 teams that is just a coach's opinion.

So long as you recognize that the Pioneer League was specifically set up to emulate Division III football.

This isn't opinion, it's a fact. All those teams used to be allowed to play DIII football, while having DI basketball. Then DIII kicked them out. So they banded together and set up their own league, where they could maintain the DIII level of costs and quality of play.

I do not think this is UST finish point and think it is their starting point. They were actually set up to emulate the Ivy league. All the games I think are covered by ESPN. Nice option to go to a good schools that are rated and play a higher level of ball. SD lost to the SDSU in the playoffs by two scores last year. SD QB is with TB this year.

If UST wanted to commit to scholarship football by cutting excessive (in the sense of NCAA minimum requirements) sports, the move to DI coupled with covid19 was the perfect cover to do so.

They chose not to do that. That's pretty much your answer, for the time being.
Or like North Dakota, who just plowed ahead with 22 sports and later had to cut a 1/2 dozen, they are oblivious to the fact that they'll need to figure out what's really important, and what it takes to complete. Unless the money is endless, they'll be at 16 sports too in 5 years. It just inevitably happens.

Or like North Dakota, who just plowed ahead with 22 sports and later had to cut a 1/2 dozen, they are oblivious to the fact that they'll need to figure out what's really important, and what it takes to complete. Unless the money is endless, they'll be at 16 sports too in 5 years. It just inevitably happens.
Leidner is in the nfl today if he went to ndsu.

Top Bottom