NCAA Ruling Allows D-III St. Thomas to Make Unprecedented Leap to D-I

What is the impact of Covid-19 on St. Thomas plans to join a new league?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I don't know they have picked up 3 or 4 of the top rated guys in the state and a few from Wisconsin. Not a bad start.

Who cares at this point. Interesting in the beginning as to what they were up to. Clearly run its course.
I think a large number of Minnesota people are interested, included several of the top HS players is the state jumping on board. Very exciting for the HS kids.

I think a large number of Minnesota people are interested, included several of the top HS players is the state jumping on board. Very exciting for the HS kids.
Apparently these guys don't want to play football at the highest level that is available in Minnesota. Some of the coaches that the Tommies will compete against were disappointed that they were allowed in the league as to be too good. That tells you the level of play in this particular league.

I think all these kids would love to play for the Gophers if given the chance, and I think many of them if given the opportunity would be successful. I think Kill did a great job with local talent. Minnesota HS talent knows how the majority of them are treated by the Gophers and NDSU has loved it, so will UST. In any other state the top Div. 1 program would be pulling in the top players. It says it all when UST has committed more of the top 2021 kids from the state then the Gophers. I hope all these kids do great and if they become strong enough they will be allowed into the playoffs. Great for the state to have another Div. 1 program.

I think all these kids would love to play for the Gophers if given the chance, and I think many of them if given the opportunity would be successful. I think Kill did a great job with local talent. Minnesota HS talent knows how the majority of them are treated by the Gophers and NDSU has loved it, so will UST. In any other state the top Div. 1 program would be pulling in the top players. It says it all when UST has committed more of the top 2021 kids from the state then the Gophers. I hope all these kids do great and if they become strong enough they will be allowed into the playoffs. Great for the state to have another Div. 1 program.
There is so much ridiculousness in this post. Fleck isn't desperate to get a bunch of two-star players. We're all sorry that your (son/nephew/neighbor) Kristoff Kowalkowski didn't get a better offer.

There is so much ridiculousness in this post. Fleck isn't desperate to get a bunch of two-star players. We're all sorry that your (son/nephew/neighbor) Kristoff Kowalkowski didn't get a better offer.
I do not have any kids, I feel like I am in presidential debate. Tell that to Trey Lance, their left tackle that is going in the first round, and their TE from Crosby. The TE chose NDSU over the Gophers. You bring up Kowalkowski, he had FBS offers, and decided to stay home. Time will tell.

I do not have any kids, I feel like I am in presidential debate. Tell that to Trey Lance, their left tackle that is going in the first round, and their TE from Crosby. The TE chose NDSU over the Gophers. You bring up Kowalkowski, he had FBS offers, and decided to stay home. Time will tell.
Once in a while you'll see a player excel at the lower level. For the most part however the draft picks are coming from a higher level of playing. Kind of like Adam Theilen, grew and gained weight. Things like that will happen. If St. Thomas wants to be the king of a lower level so be it.

I assume if they are able to have success, they will move into the Valley conference in the future.

I assume if they are able to have success, they will move into the Valley conference in the future.
I’ve never seen much fcs success at the zero scholarship level. You understand that UST is offering 0 scholarships, while the whole NSIC is 20-36, and the MVFC is at 63. Maybe you’ll move to the scholarship level at some point, but it’s hard to see UST setting the world on fire with no scholarships.

San Diego, while owning the Pioneer and winning a couple of opening round games has never really been more than a fringe top 25.

Has anyone even SEEN a game .. in person?

I didn't think so ...
Seen Butler, Drake, San Diego. One Pioneer school (? Dayton) has a TE that is a really good NFL rookie. San Diego usually has a strong QB, physical RB, good receivers. Team speed not very good.

It is set up more like the Ivy league, but they are able to participate in playoffs, good schools with large endowment. Academics are important. Hopefully UST can own the league.

It is set up more like the Ivy league, but they are able to participate in playoffs, good schools with large endowment. Academics are important. Hopefully UST can own the league.
Ivy League. Ok

You bring up Kowalkowski, he had FBS offers, and decided to stay home. Time will tell.
2 FBS offers from Florida Atlantic and Central MIchigan but no FCS scholarship offers? How does that happen I wonder. Interesting prospect, would love to hear your full breakdown.

The All Metro HS Team came out for the state and I believe only 1 is going to the Gophers, like 3-4 are going to UST. He was the only QB to be named to the All Metro Team.

I’ve never seen much fcs success at the zero scholarship level. You understand that UST is offering 0 scholarships, while the whole NSIC is 20-36, and the MVFC is at 63. Maybe you’ll move to the scholarship level at some point, but it’s hard to see UST setting the world on fire with no scholarships.

San Diego, while owning the Pioneer and winning a couple of opening round games has never really been more than a fringe top 25.
The "zero" scholarship level.

Would guess the average percentage of school costs paid out of pocket by the football roster at UST last year was significantly lower than at most top DII programs around the country.

The All Metro HS Team came out for the state and I believe only 1 is going to the Gophers, like 3-4 are going to UST. He was the only QB to be named to the All Metro Team.
The U can be very scary.

Would guess the average percentage of school costs paid out of pocket by the football roster at UST last year was significantly lower than at most top DII programs around the country.
Of the 85 (max) players on scholarship at DI FCS scholarship schools, 1/2 will be in full rides, and half will get 1/2 rides. That will be hard to UST to compete with using academic funds.

You're really underestimating how much it costs to go to UST. D2 public schools are absolutely cheaper for most students except for the very smart, or very poor who might be eligible for more aid. Most of their players don't fit into either of those two categories.

Top Bottom