National Signing Day, and off we go!

I think Anthony Smith is the player I'm most excited about from this class.

Looking at the 247 website, it has 11 guys from Pennsylvania that are rated at 90 or above. 11!

They have Smith at 92 which puts him at #6 in the state. I'm guessing he's played against a pretty high level of competition, and did well enough to stand out.

No doubt he may be overranked because he's from Pennsylvania, and yes, recruiting stars might not matter. But it's hard for me not to get excited about what this kid can do in maroon and gold.

Staying Home according to 247

Iowa 4 of top 10
Iowa State 4 of top 10
WI 4 of 10 right now with two more yet to sign.
MN 4 of top 10
NE 3 of 10 and missed on top 4
OK, but Iowa is like half the number of high school players as MN or WI, and NE I'm guessing is around half of Iowa?

Not exactly, but guessing something like that? You get the point.

Have you watched Pyburn’s tape? He may be the last one I’d pick. Hopefully it works out
You'd pick Pyburn over Bixby and Smith. Seriously?

I'm thinking you misread my post.

Maybe Pyburn and Schwartz don’t like each other?

Interesting to not see one MN kid sign with WI or IA this year.

Of the top 12 on 247
1 to Michigan State
1-2 to Nebraska

1 to Stanford
2 to Iowa State
1 to NDSU

5 to MN
Interesting that Emmett Johnson did not jump on the Nebraska offer, either it's some kind of contingent offer, or perhaps he's holding out for more offers? Maybe a gopher offer?

Maybe Pyburn and Schwartz don’t like each other?
Pyburn was at Schwartz' side when he signed with the gophers. Pyburn was wearing a gopher shirt.

It's kind of a weird deal.

Interesting that Emmett Johnson did not jump on the Nebraska offer, either it's some kind of contingent offer, or perhaps he's holding out for more offers? Maybe a gopher offer?
Speculation on my part is that it's a qualifying issue. Maybe waiting on something causing it to be February signing.

OK, but Iowa is like half the number of high school players as MN or WI, and NE I'm guessing is around half of Iowa?

Not exactly, but guessing something like that? You get the point.
If you look at the composite list, MN, WI and IA are about the same listing 17 players. NE lists 13. Illinois list 50.

Iowa State got more composite top 10 out of IA and Iowa did.

Here are the regional signees for the Gophers from today. The Gophers did not sign anyone from Illinois. I wonder why.

The Gophers took two Running Backs - Zach Evans from Texas and PWO Max Grand from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, Emmet Thompson is left without a paddle.

Minnesota
Trey Bixby, Eden Prairie - DL
Kristen Hoskins, Alexandria - WR
Joey Gerlach, Woodbury - LB
Tony Nelson, Stacy - OT
Spencer Alvarez, Columbia Heights - OT
Cade Conzenius (PWO), Minnetonka - WR
Zach Jorgenson (PWO), Fairmont - ATH

Wisconsin
Ashton Beers, Slinger WI - IOL
Max Grand (PWO), Ellsworth WI, - RB
Evan Redding (PWO), Menominee Falls WI, - WR
Cole Berghorn (PWO), Lake Geneva WI - ATH

South Dakota
Jacob Knuth, Harrisburg SD - QB
Cade Larson, Harrisburg SD - LB

His destiny has to be in the boat at Minnesota. Kanu can canoe!
Hero Canu came thru in the Battle for Tippy Canoe!

This alone needs a phone call from PJ Fleck. There is poetry in a rowing/paddling motion.

He Hinzmann isn't coming to Minnesota, pretty sure it is OSU or bust with that guy.
OSU or Wisconsin. Would have been a nice get but that was always going to be an uphill battle given who else was after the kid.

That must mean Rob Wenger is going to stick around for awhile.
They changed the rules making it really difficult to return kickoffs.

Kickoffs were moved from the 30 to 35, so (typically), if there isn't a touchback the kick off comes in more like a punt. They now allow players to fair catch those kick offs, so it's hard to argue that the cost/benefit of returning the kickoffs is strongly in the fair catch's favor.

I also think (especially in the NFL) the officials have been told to put a greater emphasis on holding/block in the back on returns. It's insane how many penalties there are on returns.

All of that said, it's much more of a shift in the NCAA than it is a Gopher thing. Don't get me wrong, the Gophers returned the ball less than average, but no one is returning it a lot anymore.

Just a point of reference, even the teams with lots of returns (Iowa and Michigan) are still fair catching a lot.

Michigan: 26 kickoff returns; 34 punt returns
Iowa: 28 kickoff returns; 38 punt returns
Ohio State: 20 kickoff returns; 22 punt returns
Minnesota: 16 kickoff returns; 15 punt returns
Michigan State: 25 kickoff returns; 11 punt returns
Penn State: 19 kickoff returns; 15 punt returns
Wisconsin: 19 kickoff returns; 17 punt returns

Here are the regional signees for the Gophers from today. The Gophers did not sign anyone from Illinois. I wonder why.

The Gophers took two Running Backs - Zach Evans from Texas and PWO Max Grand from Wisconsin. Unfortunately, Emmet Thompson is left without a paddle.

Minnesota
Trey Bixby, Eden Prairie - DL
Kristen Hoskins, Alexandria - WR
Joey Gerlach, Woodbury - LB
Tony Nelson, Stacy - OT
Spencer Alvarez, Columbia Heights - OT
Cade Conzenius (PWO), Minnetonka - WR
Zach Jorgenson (PWO), Fairmont - ATH

Wisconsin
Ashton Beers, Slinger WI - IOL
Max Grand (PWO), Ellsworth WI, - RB
Evan Redding (PWO), Menominee Falls WI, - WR
Cole Berghorn (PWO), Lake Geneva WI - ATH

South Dakota
Jacob Knuth, Harrisburg SD - QB
Cade Larson, Harrisburg SD - LB
As to Illinois, there is a coach named Brett Bielema now. After the top players go to the likes of Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan then the others compete for the rest.

Bielema got 7 of the top 30.

Nebraska, Iowa, and WI all got 1 of the Illinois top 30.

Last edited:

As to Illinois, there is a coach named Brett Bielema now. After the top players go to the likes of Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan then the others compete for the rest.

Bielema got 7 of the top 30.

Nebraska, Iowa, and WI all got 1 of the Illinois top 30.
And Mizzou has put a fence around East St Louis and the STL metro that goes into Illinois.

And Mizzou has put a fence around East St Louis and the STL metro that goes into Illinois.
Mizzou is the boost of a honeymoon coach and we will see if it lasts. He's doing well recruiting but will is sustain finishing in the bottom of the SEC?

They changed the rules making it really difficult to return kickoffs.

Kickoffs were moved from the 30 to 35, so (typically), if there isn't a touchback the kick off comes in more like a punt. They now allow players to fair catch those kick offs, so it's hard to argue that the cost/benefit of returning the kickoffs is strongly in the fair catch's favor.

I also think (especially in the NFL) the officials have been told to put a greater emphasis on holding/block in the back on returns. It's insane how many penalties there are on returns.

All of that said, it's much more of a shift in the NCAA than it is a Gopher thing. Don't get me wrong, the Gophers returned the ball less than average, but no one is returning it a lot anymore.

Just a point of reference, even the teams with lots of returns (Iowa and Michigan) are still fair catching a lot.

Michigan: 26 kickoff returns; 34 punt returns
Iowa: 28 kickoff returns; 38 punt returns
Ohio State: 20 kickoff returns; 22 punt returns
Minnesota: 16 kickoff returns; 15 punt returns
Michigan State: 25 kickoff returns; 11 punt returns
Penn State: 19 kickoff returns; 15 punt returns
Wisconsin: 19 kickoff returns; 17 punt returns
On another thread Fleck comments on every signee. In talking about Ryan Stapp he says he's looking to improve return game. He also just offered a D back from WKU in portal. He is noted also as a return man. And then there is Dino.

I don't think we will be fair catching kickoffs at the 10 or 15 next year.

We are signing 3 Cade's to the team. Cade Conzemius (PWO), Cade Larson (PWO), Cade McConnell. If the PWO's signed today I assume they are early enrollees as not all are listed on the 22 player signed list.

If they were here in AZ, you’d just assume they were a roper or bronc rider. Cade, Cole, Trip, Tate, Coburn, Sage, Roscoe…

On another thread Fleck comments on every signee. In talking about Ryan Stapp he says he's looking to improve return game. He also just offered a D back from WKU in portal. He is noted also as a return man. And then there is Dino.

I don't think we will be fair catching kickoffs at the 10 or 15 next year.
Yeah, I could certainly be wrong but I will believe it when I see it.

The analytics strongly favor fair catching most kicks. Maybe not to the extent that we saw it, but I would be shocked if we start returning kicks at anything more than a slight uptick from last year.

But we'll see.

Top Bottom