National Signing Day, and off we go!

Why can't Minneapolis/St. Paul give a lot of NIL money? There a big time businesses all over the place.

There are two parts to NIL, money floating around the local economy (Minneapolis has more than most) and level of fame of Gopher athletes (this is lagging some other schools, but the potential is easily there, remember how HUGE Whalen was during her time?)

Forgot Pyburn.
Pyburn has not signed yet. He is on the east coast and you would think it would be done by now. Hopefully nothing too concerning. Notice how all of the first ones to sign are on the east coast as they are an hour ahead.

Sounds like Pyburn is not signing during this period. He is waiting on Florida which is his dream school. WTF?

Will wait until the February signing period.

Just noticed on 247 he took an unofficial to West Virginia and picked up late offers from Vanderbilt and Louisville.

Well, ok then. 18 year olds. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

Sounds like Pyburn is not signing during this period. He is waiting on Florida which is his dream school. WTF?

Will wait until the February signing period.
Would rather have him wait if he isn't sure. Hopefully he still signs but if he doesn't it is what it is.

Would rather have him wait if he isn't sure. Hopefully he still signs but if he doesn't it is what it is.
True, but a little disappointing. It sort of feels like if no Florida, well, I guess he'll have to settle for Minnesota.

I'm going to look at it this way.........of bixby, smith, Schwartz and Pyburn, if one was going to opt out, I'd pick Pyburn.
Agree with that. At least according to the ratings. Will be interesting to see how many of those offers are still there for him in February or if teams fill their slots from the portal.

True, but a little disappointing. It sort of feels like if no Florida, well, I guess he'll have to settle for Minnesota.
Can't really fault a Florida kid for wanting to hold out for their dream offer if they think it might happen. Still just the early signing period (which I know has basically become the main signing period) so still time for him to come on board.

This could turn out well as there will still be some big names out there for February. Maybe we trade Pyburn for someone better.

Can't really fault a Florida kid for wanting to hold out for their dream offer if they think it might happen. Still just the early signing period (which I know has basically become the main signing period) so still time for him to come on board.
Florida has a new coaching staff recently hired, so he wants to see if he has a chance with them. I get it. He grew up watching the Gators and it's his dream school. Florida has only signed something like 7 kids.

Last edited:

Looks like a beefy Stephen Pearcy from his Ratt heyday back in the 80's...
OMG… then all this time, Stephen Pearcy just wanted to drive Iowa and Wisconsin defenders into the ground! I couldn’t quite place that look until today.

So which recruit are you most excited about......or which one intrigues you the most?

Mine is Anthony Smith. I just have this feeling we are due for a big time pass rusher off the edge. Great at rushing the passer and good against the run. Better than Mafe, even.

I'm just feeling it with this guy!

Anyone know if Deylin Hassert or Hinzman signed on the dotted line?

Pyburn is not a surprise given those who signed at his position rated more highly than him. Use the scholarship on an impact transfer when he inevitably does not sign here.

Pyburn is not a surprise given those who signed at his position rated more highly than him. Use the scholarship on an impact transfer when he inevitably does not sign here.
It sounds like Pyburn was there with Schwartz when he signed with the Gophers, sitting at his table and wearing a gopher jersey. No bad blood at all, so that's good.

So which recruit are you most excited about......or which one intrigues you the most?

Mine is Anthony Smith. I just have this feeling we are due for a big time pass rusher off the edge. Great at rushing the passer and good against the run. Better than Mafe, even.

Excited about all 3 DL guys but something about Schwartz really sticks out to me. Maybe it is just because he is the new guy in the group :)

Said in the recruiting thread that I am intrigued by Alvarez. So little buzz around him and yet we offered pretty early at a time when we probably would not have had to given there didn't seem to be much competition for his services. Clearly a project guy (Nelson is as well to a lesser degree) but have this feeling he is going to turn out to be a really good one. Coaches saw something.

I think Anthony Smith becomes a DT. He is a pretty big dude already, but I echo your excitement about him. He moves really well.

My big ones are Knuth, Hoskins, and Kelly.

Knuth: He is just a higher caliber (as was Athan) QB recruit. He seems to have prototypical size, makeup. There is also the fact that everyone from South Dakota gushes about him. I know, they are likely as provincial as we are, I get it, but sometimes you just know.

Kelly: He is a 6'2" CB. Having that kind of size at CB (if they can cover), allows you to do a lot of things. If we find another star to play opposite Walley, watch out.

Hoskins: I realize he did the things he did against central MN kids. That said, he is electric. He is explosive, dynamic, seems like a natural pass catcher and he is legitimately fast.

Top Bottom