Nate Reuvers in Transfer Portal

He shot 39% for beyond the arc and 87% from the free-throw line. He is a very good defensive player and plays smart and hard. Have you looked at our guards? Of course you would take him.
Actually I wouldn't

I'm not saying he sucks, I'm saying I don't want a kid that plays dirty and have to root for him. He's a poor mans Grayson Allen

it's not mutually exclusive.

If I thought he was a cornerstone player that could really help out next year, i might have second thoughts and be willing to put up with his on court shennanigans, but he's probably better suited to reserve role on a really good team.

You've met him obviously....

By all accounts he's a really good kid.

Honestly, I would love a kid who plays hard, takes charges, moves the ball and makes big 3's.
Have met him and watched him play in HS as well. He’s an arrogant kid. Hard says he’s a really good kid. He’s difficult to cheer for. He doesn’t add enough value to take him on for a year

Ummm....hell no. You buck the Gophers to play for Wisconsin? You're a traitor....and I assume that Ben Johnson would know better.

Davison reminds me of a Danny Ainge type of player, if he’s on your favorite team you love him, if he’s on another team you hate him.
I would say “ If he’s on the other team, you hate him. If he’s on your team...you hate him just a little less.”

Have met him and watched him play in HS as well. He’s an arrogant kid. Hard says he’s a really good kid. He’s difficult to cheer for. He doesn’t add enough value to take him on for a year
Well....I am friends with coaches who have won state championships who have said otherwise. I've never met him but just going off of what I was told.

Maybe he’s pissed off at Madtown and the administration. I know where he could get some revenge.

So strange that we chase after players we never wanted. This is lower than Monson.

This happens in every single sport, all the time. Do NFL teams only pursue Free Agents who were drafted before their first pick? Of course not.

Well, built did imply there could be something bad brewing over there ...

When they announced the optional year, one of the reactions I read was that Alvarez was not inclined favorably to that proposal. At the same time I read that the Ivy League also did not support that. Players have an optional year if they played this year and optional year scholarships don't count against the maximum number but there is no requirement for schools to fund those additional scholarships.

This isn't much of an issue for our team because we have only one player now who may get a scholarship for an optional year and his scholarship may not take us above the usual max because we would need to recruit 6 additional players to get to a 14th scholarship. With Wisconsin's senior laden lineup, though, this could very well be an issue and their athletic department may have indicated that they aren't going to fund additional scholarships.

on Reuvers - one simple question - Does he make your team better?

If the answer is Yes, and he wants to come to MN, you take him.

If the answer is No, you politely suggest he consider other options.

At the very least, I would say Reuvers is a more polished player than several people who were wearing Gopher jerseys this year and occupying the end of the bench.

I think the other question is this - would Reuvers be willing to come to MN IF it meant he was going to be the 7th or 8th man in the rotation? I don't see him as a starter, but he could certainly be a rotational player.

When they announced the optional year, one of the reactions I read was that Alvarez was not inclined favorably to that proposal. At the same time I read that the Ivy League also did not support that. Players have an optional year if they played this year and optional year scholarships don't count against the maximum number but there is no requirement for schools to fund those additional scholarships.

This isn't much of an issue for our team because we have only one player now who may get a scholarship for an optional year and his scholarship may not take us above the usual max because we would need to recruit 6 additional players to get to a 14th scholarship. With Wisconsin's senior laden lineup, though, this could very well be an issue and their athletic department may have indicated that they aren't going to fund additional scholarships.
Very true.

Nonetheless, I would think in these extraordinary circumstances, that if they really wanted to play the extra season at Wisconsin, well at worst their families could pretty easily afford it for one year. (Maybe even some Badger booster would give them their family the money back, under the table, wild guess)

If Ben Johnson is establishing his culture...he’d be a fool to take any Minnesota kid who went to Wisconsin.
Lots of reasons that’s a dumb move.
“Ben, I know you are new, at WI when we won we did it this way.” Is one of a 100 undermining scenarios. Nobody needs the distractions, especially from these two guys who have question marks personality wise as teammates.

Very true.

Nonetheless, I would think in these extraordinary circumstances, that if they really wanted to play the extra season at Wisconsin, well at worst their families could pretty easily afford it for one year. (Maybe even some Badger booster would give them their family the money back, under the table, wild guess)

True but I suspect if you were a player who played big minutes for four years on scholarship, you would feel entitled to be sponsored by any university team you join. I'm pretty sure I'd feel that way if I were them.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised by the sheer number of players I've seen in the transfer portal who have completed four years of eligibility. Some of them have had pretty good four year careers.

I'm willing to plug my nose from badger smell and look the other way with Reuvers joining Liam Robbins in the line up if it will make The Gophers better. But, no to Davison. He is knee deep in badger poo, and I disliked the way that he disrespected The Gophers.

Last edited:

on Reuvers - one simple question - Does he make your team better?

If the answer is Yes, and he wants to come to MN, you take him.

If the answer is No, you politely suggest he consider other options.

At the very least, I would say Reuvers is a more polished player than several people who were wearing Gopher jerseys this year and occupying the end of the bench.

I think the other question is this - would Reuvers be willing to come to MN IF it meant he was going to be the 7th or 8th man in the rotation? I don't see him as a starter, but he could certainly be a rotational player.
I believe he would be a starter. I would love to get both him and Race Thompson.If Davison wants to transfer here, I would like to have him too.
If Ben Johnson is establishing his culture...he’d be a fool to take any Minnesota kid who went to Wisconsin.
Lots of reasons that’s a dumb move.
“Ben, I know you are new, at WI when we won we did it this way.” Is one of a 100 undermining scenarios. Nobody needs the distractions, especially from these two guys who have question marks personality wise as teammates.
Ben would be a fool to listen to your advice.

Things will play out, regardless of what is written on this board. If BJ can fill out his roster with the kind of players mentioned above and others that are entering the portal, more power to him. I personally think it would be great to get a player to transfer back home from Wisconsin (or Indiana). That only leads to the credibility of the new coaching staff. We could really build something here and other Minnesota high school recruits would definitely be taking notice.

First off he would be coming to play PF, he is not displacing Liam.
I’d rather have Race, but he would be a good defensive addition over Johnson for sure.
Need guards more than anything! Ballhandlers specifically!

You've met him obviously....

By all accounts he's a really good kid.

Honestly, I would love a kid who plays hard, takes charges, moves the ball and makes big 3's.
There are a ton of people that I've met that I know are POS. I never got to meet Stalin either. You can judge people by their . . . wait for it. . . actions.

He intentionally tries to injure other players during basketball games. My issue with Davison have nothing to do with him playing hard and taking a charge and more to do with him punching other players in the nuts. It's a REALLY a simple rule in life, if you know a grown man who punches other grown men in the genitals, that guys is a POS. You don't ever have to meet him to know that.

It would take me some time to forgive Reuvers for his past transgression of choosing the stench of Buckyville, but I would get over it for one reason: Unlike 90% of our current roster, he can shoot.

Top Bottom