Nadine Babu STrib Blog: Gophers Students Can Have a Tailgate for Others to Envy

Who's paying for this? Excellent work Nadine, it's definitely a start. How many students will this actually accommodate?

A solution provider. Great to see. Let's hope the students take advantage of it.

Well done GopherLady.

Go Gophers!!

They could attract a lot of students if they just made the games more appealing to a younger crowd. For example, it would be sweet to play this song before the 4th quarter along with Let Me Clear My Throat to get the party goin. Heck, pass out glowsticks for the night game vs. Syracuse and surely the students would come to rage and dance like fools while instantly improving the atmosphere at TCF and creating something for the students to look forward to all week.

I'm dancing right now and just picturing the student section filled with kids having a good time instead of an empty concrete eyesore. Let's get things going! Good Job Nadine!

The article disappeared. It's a decent idea. Does the company accept reponsibility for underage drinkers who show up? Might be an issue.

Curse, love the glow stick idea. That could be pretty cool if executed correctly.

Go Gophers!!

Article is gone. Link points to TCF student ticket worries from a couple weeks ago.

Who's paying for this? Excellent work Nadine, it's definitely a start. How many students will this actually accommodate?

I'm guessing a few hundred students. Game Day Envy is sponsoring it!

The article disappeared. It's a decent idea. Does the company accept reponsibility for underage drinkers who show up? Might be an issue.

We are not providing any alcohol, that's why we didn't do that.

Looks like it's back up --> http://www.startribune.com/local/yourvoices/Nadine_Babu.html?source=error

Odd. Here's the Facebook invite too --> https://www.facebook.com/events/450212915001946/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

It's a good start and I admire you taking a step to fix issues, but without booze I'm not sure how well attended it will be. For better or worse, the student demographic likes to get their drank on

The online editors probably have some sort of concern with the promo for Gameday Envy or something.

It's a good start and I admire you taking a step to fix issues, but without booze I'm not sure how well attended it will be. For better or worse, the student demographic likes to get their drank on

Given that the tailgate is happening in a U lot I'd say there's nothing stopping the students from just bringing it with them.

The online editors probably have some sort of concern with the promo for Gameday Envy or something.

If that's the case, I had no idea! They are donating all of this and helping to come up with a solution to a Gopher Football problem...really odd.

Gopher07 - didn't say there wouldn't be booze, just that we are not providing it, don't want to serve to minors. Just like at the Dome lots, students brought their own stuff. Now they will have a place to do it.

If that's the case, I had no idea! They are donating all of this and helping to come up with a solution to a Gopher Football problem...really odd.

Gopher07 - didn't say there wouldn't be booze, just that we are not providing it, don't want to serve to minors. Just like at the Dome lots, students brought their own stuff. Now they will have a place to do it.

Gotcha. I never got to tailgate at the Dome except for spring games, being in the band and all, so I wouldn't know :)

But anyhow, sounds like a fun time. I do hope a lot of students attend

Given that the tailgate is happening in a U lot I'd say there's nothing stopping the students from just bringing it with them.

Yes but is the company willing to accept responsibility for underage drinkers at their "party?"
I'm confused also about the company providing no alcohol. The article states there will be a wine fridge and wet bar. Maybe I don't know what a wet bar is.

Yes but is the company willing to accept responsibility for underage drinkers at their "party?"

I'm guessing that the location and details of the event likely covers them. Unless they are fencing off the space around those 7 parking spots or doing something to clearly mark the territory then it's basically a party in a tailgate lot where people can freely mingle. Would you or I be held responsible if an underager with their own booze walks up and starts playing bags with us in a public lot if we didn't supply it? Doubtful.

There is no way for GameDay Envy to know who is and who is not of age and it's a public lot. I'm guessing they're feeling ok about it.

I'm guessing that the location and details of the event likely covers them. Unless they are fencing off the space around those 7 parking spots or doing something to clearly mark the territory then it's basically a party in a tailgate lot where people can freely mingle. Would you or I be held responsible if an underager with their own booze walks up and starts playing bags with us in a public lot if we didn't supply it? Doubtful.

There is no way for GameDay Envy to know who is and who is not of age and it's a public lot. I'm guessing they're feeling ok about it.

Well said.

I also forgot to mention that Gopher great Ron Johnson will also be there - I was able to get him a few tickets, so if you'd like to swing by and talk some Gopher Football, he's your guy!

Props to Nadine and Ron Johnson for trying to get the tailgates started!! Damn-it students now show!

I also forgot to mention that Gopher great Ron Johnson will also be there - I was able to get him a few tickets, so if you'd like to swing by and talk some Gopher Football, he's your guy!

Ron is lucky he knows you or how else could he get free tickets to Gopher games???

(I'm joking) I sure hope former players have no problem getting tickets to games!

They could attract a lot of students if they just made the games more appealing to a younger crowd. For example, it would be sweet to play this song before the 4th quarter along with Let Me Clear My Throat to get the party goin. Heck, pass out glowsticks for the night game vs. Syracuse and surely the students would come to rage and dance like fools while instantly improving the atmosphere at TCF and creating something for the students to look forward to all week.

I'm dancing right now and just picturing the student section filled with kids having a good time instead of an empty concrete eyesore. Let's get things going! Good Job Nadine!

Levels and glow sticks would be awesome!

Curse, love the glow stick idea. That could be pretty cool if executed correctly.

Go Gophers!!

Any idea who is charge over at the U who we could e-mail about this? I assume it is something Teague/Kill would not respond to?

great work nadine! any U of M students who post here on gopherhole and are on facebook should go ahead and "share" this event with all of their other U of M student friends and contacts in facebook. or posters who have a way to get it posted to a large number of U of M student's facebook accounts (i.e. maybe student union activities can post out on their facebook page) should do so. SPREAD THE WORD and let U of M students know that fellow gopher fans are working on solutions for them to be able to experience true gameday tailgating with everyone else at a reasonable (and in this case FREE) price.

that said. is this really that confusing for some? read the entire post. it says right in it: students should bring their own beverages and food with them. grill will be provided. what type of beverages students decide to bring with them will be totally up to them of course. most, if not all, are over the age of 18. at 18 you are an adult. it is called making an adult decision and learning to contemplate things like consequence, risk, ramifications, etc.

what this is at its heart is finally a formal, financially accessible space right outside the stadium for any and all U of M students to feel fully welcomed, gather to party and congregate before they head into the game. where they don't have to potentially feel like they are "crashing" someone else's party and/or tailgating space. where they don't have to already know someone else (either a fellow student or family, friend, etc.) who already owns a tailgating space in one of the lots. it is in the near-stadium tailgate area, which is something that students really don't technically have right now unless they just happen to have a good chunk of extra money on hand to purchase a near-stadium tailgating space for the season.

i think this is a great idea nadine. nice work. someone make sure to let AD norwood teague know what is up with this great solution and that he should be working to make something similar happen on a much, much larger scale for U of M students on a weekly basis every saturday home game.

I'm confused also about the company providing no alcohol. The article states there will be a wine fridge and wet bar. Maybe I don't know what a wet bar is.

don't think so hard about this. really.......don't.

I wonder if Wisconsin and Iowa fans sit around worrying about underage drinking on their message boards?

And glowsticks, hmmm, there are plenty of ways to make fun of us already...let's not add 1990s rave paraphernalia to the list.

I like the glowstick idea but it reminds me of the USC game when students were throwing magazines on the field. I think the same would happen with the glowsticks.

Lets get someone, maybe you Gopher Lady, to get it started on Friday Night around 6 P.M. Coach Kill has mention to get the Party Started on Fridays.

And glowsticks, hmmm, there are plenty of ways to make fun of us already...let's not add 1990s rave paraphernalia to the list.

I was thinking glowsticks just for the night game, yeah a few would probably throw them but at the same time could be really cool from a visual standpoint (even though it will still be lit from the stadium lights). But even without that just make it a tradition to play the song at the same time each game to get the student section hyped and rockin. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of the players jumpin around to it as well.

College kids these days love the electro music scene. Our biggest problem is getting the students to go to the games so if they aren't enticed enough to go for the football game itself might as well try and give them another reason to attend...I'm sure a few 18-22 year olds wouldn't mind letting loose and dancing around to Levels a few Saturdays a year

And sorry GL not trying to hi-jack your thread it was just a thought! Thank you for your effort in getting the atmosphere turned around!

Right glow sticks - like they would allow anything you can throw.

Top Bottom