My final Four with explanation....Yours?

Bama vs Cincy
Michigan vs Georgia

Seeding means nothing in the playoff. They pick the match ups and then seed.

Sorry, ND didn’t beat anyone

Worse would be an Alabama and Georgia final. No one cares but fans of those two teams. I wouldn’t watch.
I actually agree with this but for whatever reason the committee seems to go to great lengths to avoid it in the semifinal.

For whatever reason, that game as semi-final/rematch doesn't bother me at all. It actually seems kind of exciting. Then you get the intrigue of the other winner vs. the best SEC team. If I were part of the committee and wanted to rig the rankings to avoid certain games, I would put the SEC teams in the same semi-final.

They just have always seen it the other way.

Love the fact that ND is likely out - essentially a victim of their greediness. They refuse to join a football conference because they do not want to share their TV revenue money. So when they do not have a conference championship game - they are stuck sitting on that pile of cash with no natty opportunity in sight.

1. Alabama
2 Georgia
3. Some other team
4. And one more

Why? Because ESPN stuffs the ballot box when it comes to CFP selection.

1638718833936.png

We will see just how strong the SEC bias is. If Bama is leapfrogged to #1 then it is as strong as ever. Michigan is the clear cut #1 team (you were #2 and destroy Iowa, you move up). Of course. Michigan did leapfrog Bama when they beat OSU, but never mind that...lol

Love the fact that ND is likely out - essentially a victim of their greediness. They refuse to join a football conference because they do not want to share their TV revenue money. So when they do not have a conference championship game - they are stuck sitting on that pile of cash with no natty opportunity in sight.

Agree. Count your money, ND. But not being in a conference takes away the possibility of a championship and another high quality win. Even if they are in the ACC and beat either Pitt or Wake.....I think they are in the conversation for playoff. As it stands now....they aren't even really being discussed.

If the argument against ND is that they don't play a conference championship game, how can you put someone in the Final Four that looses a conference championship game
Easy.
Georgia = 12 totals wins
ND = 11 totals wins

Georgia > ND

Maybe, but they just lost to Alabama. Why in the world do we want to see this again?
I believe the CFB playoff is about putting the best teams in.

Although it would be nice to not see a rematch of Alabama and Georgia in the first round of the playoff.

I believe the CFB playoff is about putting the best teams in.

Although it would be nice to not see a rematch of Alabama and Georgia in the first round of the playoff.

We know Georgia is not one of the best teams, as proven on the field head to head.

You'd put a 2 loss Baylor team in over a 1 loss Georgia?

Did Baylor and Georgia play the same schedule? How do you know Georgia would defeat Baylor. Sure, they probably would, and Vegas might set a line suggesting as much, but I have no idea what would happen on a neutral field. Wisconsin’s total defense was better than Georgia in 2021, objectively. That doesn’t mean I think Wisconsin is better than Georgia.

Utah was playing really well at the end of the year. Is Georgia better than Utah in Dec 2021? Maybe, but I’m not sure.

Is the CFP berth a lifetime achievement award, or a typical sports tournament that rewards how teams finish at the end of the season in their respective conferences or divisions?

We will see just how strong the SEC bias is. If Bama is leapfrogged to #1 then it is as strong as ever. Michigan is the clear cut #1 team (you were #2 and destroy Iowa, you move up). Of course. Michigan did leapfrog Bama when they beat OSU, but never mind that...lol
They laid out the strength of record and strength of schedule and was not all that close.

Did Baylor and Georgia play the same schedule? How do you know Georgia would defeat Baylor. Sure, they probably would, and Vegas might set a line suggesting as much, but I have no idea what would happen on a neutral field. Wisconsin’s total defense was better than Georgia in 2021, objectively. That doesn’t mean I think Wisconsin is better than Georgia.

Utah was playing really well at the end of the year. Is Georgia better than Utah in Dec 2021? Maybe, but I’m not sure.

Is the CFP berth a lifetime achievement award, or a typical sports tournament that rewards how teams finish at the end of the season in their respective conferences or divisions?
No, no one plays the same schedule but we still have to pick 4 teams.

Of course it isn't guaranteed and we can't simply play out every scenario. So you have to look at the resumes of what we THINK are better. No one KNOWS Georgia would beat Baylor. If you're using this standard, we could never build any final 4, ever, with any teams. It's just like we don't KNOW Baylor beats Georgia.

How is anyone arguing it's a lifetime achievement award? I see people comparing the resumes of teams this year. Obviously, reasonable people can disagree but both sides are basing their rankings on opinion.

In your opinion, you seem to think Notre Dame played a tougher schedule than Georgia. In my opinion, I think Georgia played a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. They are both just opinions based on what those teams did THIS year.

Do you think Notre Dame played a tough schedule this year than Georgia?

Yeah. Georgia just lost.

It won’t happen, because ESPN. But it should.
Ok. So most recent loss is a bigger indicator than number of losses?

Using that logic, why not Notre Dame over Baylor?
They have fewer losses.
They have the better loss.
Their loss most the least recent.

Most of the people doing the mental gymnastics of trying to argue Georgia shouldn't be in aren't following their own rationale.

There is no rationale for a one loss Georgia being left out of the playoff…..except for bias against the SEC.

No, no one plays the same schedule but we still have to pick 4 teams.

Of course it isn't guaranteed and we can't simply play out every scenario. So you have to look at the resumes of what we THINK are better. No one KNOWS Georgia would beat Baylor. If you're using this standard, we could never build any final 4, ever, with any teams. It's just like we don't KNOW Baylor beats Georgia.

How is anyone arguing it's a lifetime achievement award? I see people comparing the resumes of teams this year. Obviously, reasonable people can disagree but both sides are basing their rankings on opinion.

In your opinion, you seem to think Notre Dame played a tougher schedule than Georgia. In my opinion, I think Georgia played a tougher schedule than Notre Dame. They are both just opinions based on what those teams did THIS year.

Do you think Notre Dame played a tough schedule this year than Georgia?

I don’t care who had the “rougher schedule” which is a made up metric. All that should matter is the conference champion, which is a de facto play-in to the postseason tournament.

I realize I’m tilting at windmills here, but I keep seeing the same faulty arguments every year for why team XYZ has to be included. No, they don’t, and they shouldn’t in this case.

No rationale? They JUST LOST to Alabama.
They are 12-1. They have looked better all year than almost any team in football and they lost to the beast that is mighty Alabama. There is not another team outside the top 4 that is better than Georgia. Now, had Georgia lost to another team during the year and they had two losses, we could talk. Absent that, it’s not really a debate.

Only reason ND isn't going: Cincinnati gave ND their only loss (@ND).

We know Georgia is not one of the best teams, as proven on the field head to head.
All I know is that Georgia wasn’t better than Alabama. I’ve seen nothing this year in all the games that I’ve watched that shows me anyone other than Alabama is better than Georgia.

Mich 2 versus GA 3. SEC gets two shots to wear down and eliminate the Big Ten contender. Go Bearcats, Go Blue.

This is tough. Don't want to see an all SEC championship....but at the same time.....I find it difficult to root for Michigan.

They are 12-1. They have looked better all year than almost any team in football and they lost to the beast that is mighty Alabama. There is not another team outside the top 4 that is better than Georgia. Now, had Georgia lost to another team during the year and they had two losses, we could talk. Absent that, it’s not really a debate.

No offense, but I highly doubt you’ve watched the games of the conference leaders, and even if you did it doesn’t matter. We have no idea how good Georgia is versus Notre Dame, Utah, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Michigan as they have either not played teams of that caliber, or have simply not played them.

Georgia was a touchdown favorite yesterday and got run out of the building. That should tell us everything we need to know about ”eye test, “resume”, and counting chickens before they’re hatched.

Top Bottom