My final Four with explanation....Yours?

On this we agree. I don’t think ND deserves to be in the playoff, but for the committee chair to publicly say that Brian Kelly leaving ND would impact their ranking is criminal. It should mean the immediate dismissal of the committee chair and anyone on the committee who thinks the same thing. You are sending a message to the players that they don’t matter. That what they did on the field didn’t matter. What if Kelly hadn't gone to LSU. What if he suddenly had a heart attack or got COVID and dropped dead? Are you penalizing ND then? I can’t believe this comment from the chair didn’t spark more outrage. It is a horrible take and exposes this committee as a farce.
100%

Things like that and also looking at the potential matchups to seed the teams is absolute nonsense.

You put a lot of priority on Georgia's head-to-head loss but almost none on Notre Dame's.
A lot of posters are ignoring the facts, because they are either ND fans, or just don't like seeing 2 SEC teams in the playoff.

A lot of posters are ignoring the facts, because they are either ND fans, or just don't like seeing 2 SEC teams in the playoff.
Yeah

the alternate option was Baylor not Notre dame

And they weren’t even considered from the looks of it

Yeah

the alternate option was Baylor not Notre dame

And they weren’t even considered from the looks of it
If Baylor would have beat TCU, I think it would be hard to keep them out of the playoff. Their only other loss was against OSU, but they beat them in the conference title game.

If Baylor would have beat TCU, I think it would be hard to keep them out of the playoff. Their only other loss was against OSU, but they beat them in the conference title game.
Yeah, they had the worst loss and it was pretty recent too.

Yeah. Or if ok state came to play in the first half

I think playoff got it right, but I think Georgia should’ve been the 4 seed. More losses than cinci, not as good of wins. Notre dame > Kentucky

And if ok state was 12-1 they should be in over gerogia, not over Cincinnati

Georgia was “auto in” even with an SEC title game loss because the SEC west is good. But it makes no sense because Georgia isn’t in the SEC west and their crossover games are 8-4 Arkansas and 6-6 auburn.

It is like saying a 12-0 wisconsin team should be in even with a loss in big ten title game because they crossed over against 7-5 Penn state and 6-6 Maryland

You put a lot of priority on Georgia's head-to-head loss but almost none on Notre Dame's.

I’ve already said I don’t think Notre Dame deserves a slot either, but they deserve it more than Georgia since they lost to an undefeated CFP team, and their loss was earlier in the season (this is a smaller factor).

I’dd go Baylor, or Utah but Utah’s early season difficulties were pretty bad. In an ideal world both would be included.

I’ve already said I don’t think Notre Dame deserves a slot either, but they deserve it more than Georgia since they lost to an undefeated CFP team, and their loss was earlier in the season (this is a smaller factor).

I’dd go Baylor, or Utah but Utah’s early season difficulties were pretty bad. In an ideal world both would be included.
That seems a bit like just pulling things out of your hat.

Why do you care if the loss is to an undefeated team or a team with one loss? LOL Especially when you're advocating for teams with 2 losses being in the CFP.

That seems a bit like just pulling things out of your hat.

Why do you care if the loss is to an undefeated team or a team with one loss? LOL Especially when you're advocating for teams with 2 losses being in the CFP.

I didn’t make up “game control” metric, so…

I already said Notre Dame doesn’t deserve a slot. Neither does Georgia.

As mentioned, head to head results matter to me. Baylor hasn’t played Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, or Cincinnati. We do not know how they would look. We think we do, but we don’t.

I didn’t make up “game control” metric, so…

I already said Notre Dame doesn’t deserve a slot. Neither does Georgia.

As mentioned, head to head results matter to me. Baylor hasn’t played Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, or Cincinnati. We do not know how they would look. We think we do, but we don’t.
"Deserve" is a weird choice of words here. Using the current system, Georgia does deserve to go.

Your implication is that because Georgia lost to Alabama during one game that somehow should eliminate them from being in the CFP? Isn't Baylor a good example of how you don't always get the same result if two teams play twice? You seem to THINK you know, but you don't (see Baylor vs. OK State).

You are going just as much off of what you think as the people you are disagreeing with.

"Deserve" is a weird choice of words here. Using the current system, Georgia does deserve to go.

Your implication is that because Georgia lost to Alabama during one game that somehow should eliminate them from being in the CFP? Isn't Baylor a good example of how you don't always get the same result if two teams play twice? You seem to THINK you know, but you don't (see Baylor vs. OK State).

You are going just as much off of what you think as the people you are disagreeing with.

The final season championship game was pretty close, and came down to the failure of a back to extend his arm over the goal line. I’d have supported either OK State or Baylor getting in. Neither of them played a CFP team, to my knowledge? Baylor lost on the road, historically a significant factor.

Georgia already pretty soundly lost to a CFP team, last game of season on a “home field”. There is no comparison.

Do I think Baylor is better than Georgia? Nope. But I don’t know that. I’d like to see what happens.

The final season championship game was pretty close, and came down to the failure of a back to extend his arm over the goal line. I’d have supported either OK State or Baylor getting in. Neither of them played a CFP team, to my knowledge? Baylor lost on the road, historically a significant factor.

Georgia already pretty soundly lost to a CFP team, last game of season on a “home field”. There is no comparison.

Do I think Baylor is better than Georgia? Nope. But I don’t know that. I’d like to see what happens.
So now you're bringing home and away into it. LOL.

So head-to-head only matters if it's Georgia.
Losing to another team in the CFP playoffs really only matters if it's an undefeated team in the CFP playoff. So while the number of losses of your opponents matters a TON, the number of losses you've had matters very little.
Teams can only beat a team they previously lost to if they were at home during the away on the first game.

Your criteria is starting to feel like you started with the result you wanted.

You're pretending to KNOW you know the outcome of Georgia vs. Alabama #2 more to a greater degree of certainty than you do Baylor vs. Alabama. You don't.

Doesn't it just make the most sense to look at all of the teams and choose the 4 that you believe have the best resumes? I get there is an element of opinion in that choice but there is just as much in your criteria.

So now you're bringing home and away into it. LOL.

So head-to-head only matters if it's Georgia.
Losing to another team in the CFP playoffs really only matters if it's an undefeated team in the CFP playoff. So while the number of losses of your opponents matters a TON, the number of losses you've had matters very little.
Teams can only beat a team they previously lost to if they were at home during the away on the first game.

Your criteria is starting to feel like you started with the result you wanted.

You're pretending to KNOW you know the outcome of Georgia vs. Alabama #2 more to a greater degree of certainty than you do Baylor vs. Alabama. You don't.

Doesn't it just make the most sense to look at all of the teams and choose the 4 that you believe have the best resumes? I get there is an element of opinion in that choice but there is just as much in your criteria.

The point of contention you keep dismissing is Georgia’s 17 point loss to Alabama, a team that itself has a “bad loss”, in what should be (in a fair world that conforms with almost every other sport) a de facto playoff round. That’s really all that should matter. They did not win their conference.

I agree Baylor, OSU, Utah all have warts. However, they have not already soundly lost to a CFP team.

If Georgia defeats Alabama, do they do best of 7?

The point of contention you keep dismissing is Georgia’s 17 point loss to Alabama, a team that itself has a “bad loss”, in what should be (in a fair world that conforms with almost every other sport) a de facto playoff round. That’s really all that should matter. They did not win their conference.

I agree Baylor, OSU, Utah all have warts. However, they have not already soundly lost to a CFP team.

If Georgia defeats Alabama, do they do best of 7?
I'm not ignoring it, I saw it. I'm just not pretending to KNOW that means they would lose again to Alabama. You're pretending to know that while saying Baylor would have been an unknown.

Losing soundly to a college football playoff team = OUT. Losing twice to worse teams = NOT OUT?

As to your last question, no. Have you never watched any post season games? The winner in the playoffs is the champion.

I'm not ignoring it, I saw it. I'm just not pretending to KNOW that means they would lose again to Alabama. You're pretending to know that while saying Baylor would have been an unknown.

Losing soundly to a college football playoff team = OUT. Losing twice to worse teams = NOT OUT?

As to your last question, no. Have you never watched any post season games? The winner in the playoffs is the champion.

I realize my argument has holes, but also merit in that many are assuming Georgia would do equally well in the Big 12 against the same schedule. If the season were 14, 18, 20, 30 games might Georgia mess up against a lesser opponent at some point? Probably, just based on odds I’m pulling out of thin air. No common opponents/head to head results to really draw conclusions based solely on thin differences in /W/L. So we’re going off recruiting rankings, past performance, and advanced metrics and made up metrics which is less than a satisfying

It’s also possible Georgia would look even better. All I know is they did not do well against Alabama, it wasn't that close, and as a fan I believe in playoff participants being conference champions, even if I think Ohio State would defeat Cincinnati.

If I end up being wrong about what I’m about to say, I’ll gladly admit it, but I don’t think I am.

Kirby Smart is no dummy. He has understood all year that he’s gonna have to probably play Alabama twice if Georgia is going to win the title. Georgia was already locked into the CFP. With that being the case, game one with Alabama isn’t important, it’s the rematch you have to win. One thing was clear watching that game. That was not the same Georgia defense you’ve seen all year. Not even close. Watch/listen to almost any review of the game by talking heads on tv and radio and they are puzzled at they way Georgia chose to play Alabama defensively. So was I. I watched almost every Georgia game this year. Georgia didn’t do what Auburn, Florida or Texas A&M did when it came to their defensive scheme. I contend this was on purpose. Just as PJ went with a vanilla game plan against Bowling Green and Illinois, Georgia did that with their defense against Alabama. Now, Georgia has to get by a tough Michigan team and there is no guarantee of that. Should be a good game. But I’ll guarantee you that if Georgia and Alabama meet again for the title. You’ll see a completely different Georgia defensive scheme and performance.

Top Bottom