More rumors

Ohio State has depth at QB, we have bodies. Leidner is decent, Streveller seems to be able to run but we still don't know if he can pass, Perra is everyone's golden child but we have no clue what he would be able to do in a game. In the grand scheme of things DRM probably isn't a big loss because he was behind those other guys on the depth chart but it is still concerning to see a scholarship QB leave because in theory the QB's you recruit and give a scholarship too should hopefully be guys that you think can lead your team in the future.

It should have been more concerning that DRM was behind Perra on the depth chart. Pretty bad miss when he was the only QB they brought in last year and Streveler was the only one the year before. I'd like to see us bringing in guys that can immediately compete for at least the backup spot.

It should have been more concerning that DRM was behind Perra on the depth chart. Pretty bad miss when he was the only QB they brought in last year and Streveler was the only one the year before. I'd like to see us bringing in guys that can immediately compete for at least the backup spot.

The staff said all along they viewed Perra as a scholarship player. Maybe DRM was what they expected him to be, but Perra was just that much better...

The staff said all along they viewed Perra as a scholarship player. Maybe DRM was what they expected him to be, but Perra was just that much better...

agreed and guessing we'll know that soon on if Perra is awarded a scholarship if we don't sign a full class

You mean besides Perra? I'm more impressed that they convinced Perra to walk-on than I am disappointed in McKinzey.

a scholarship is a scholarship

Getting guys to turn down South Dakota offers isn't hard. It's impressive to get guys to turn down MAC offers like Chad Fhanning. I wouldn't say I'm "impressed" with the fact that we convinced him to walk-on but I am impressed with him being as good as he is for a walk-on if that makes sense.

Free education is hard to turn down so it's very impressive he really wanted to play for his home state - I look for him to move up the dept chart. We need to groom a young QB to help us get to the. Ext level. If Mitch goes down we need a throwing option.

Maybe I worded it wrong - I'm not so much impressed that we were able to pry Perra away from mighty South Dakota, but I'm impressed that our coaching staff identified him as a kid with talent and went after him. There are plenty of high school QBs that are overlooked in recruiting, and we found one that has a chance.

There were people here who were fawning over some guy that plays QB for NDSU...I would have been impressed if we would have asked/gotten him to walk-on as well. I really don't think what I said is all that controversial - it was just a compliment paid to the coaching staff. They brought in two QBs last year, one beat out the other and the beaten one decided to quit.

Free education is hard to turn down so it's very impressive he really wanted to play for his home state.

Very few of these kids are in it for the education. Heck, you can find a boatload of kids, that aren't on a sports team at all, that are not at college for the education. You vastly underestimate the apathy of kids these days, at least when it comes to anything other than their smartphones.

A lot of kids that go to the "U," and are paying their way, are there on their parents dime anyway (most is the key word, I paid my way through loans and work, but that was seemingly rare in my circles). The ones for whom it would be "tough to turn down a free education," because it would be financially debilitating to their family, end up on federal loans and various grants at St. Cloud State, Mankato State, Metro State, etc. They're not paying at least double the price to go to the U.

Believe me, a free education is the last thing on the mind of a lot of these kids. Especially the priveledged kids from the burbs. It's not like Perra is donating plasma to buy ramen noodles because he isn't on scholarship (like I did). His biggest worry is if the navigational system in his dad's old 2012 import is going to get him to the nearest Kowalski's. If not....he'll have to shop at Cub with the riffraff (cue some Albert Hitchcock theme music).

Let's not make Perra sound like some kind of hero for turning down a scholarship to walk-on at the U, or Kill for getting him to (after all, the decision was a no-brainer for him, in my opinion). We should all be thanking daddy for forking over piles of cash, for likely the only year that he won't be on scholarship. If money were an issue for the Perra's, he would've went to SD.

this isn't anything against Perra, I'm sure he's a great kid, but let's not blow this out of proportion. He's portrayed as some kind of martyr for not being on scholarship. Treated like some kind of blue-collar working-class folk hero for "paying his way." Kill is portrayed as some kind of miracle worker for "dooping," him into coming to the U (I mean, his only schollie offer was from South Dakota.....not even SDSU....South Dakota University). If money and "free-education," were an issue, he would've went to SD, or elsewhere.

Very few of these kids are in it for the education. Heck, you can find a boatload of kids, that aren't on a sports team at all, that are not at college for the education. You vastly underestimate the apathy of kids these days, at least when it comes to anything other than their smartphones.

A lot of kids that go to the "U," and are paying their way, are there on their parents dime anyway (most is the key word, I paid my way through loans and work, but that was seemingly rare in my circles). The ones for whom it would be "tough to turn down a free education," because it would be financially debilitating to their family, end up on federal loans and various grants at St. Cloud State, Mankato State, Metro State, etc. They're not paying at least double the price to go to the U.

Believe me, a free education is the last thing on the mind of a lot of these kids. Especially the priveledged kids from the burbs. It's not like Perra is donating plasma to buy ramen noodles because he isn't on scholarship (like I did). His biggest worry is if the navigational system in his dad's old 2012 import is going to get him to the nearest Kowalski's. If not....he'll have to shop at Cub with the riffraff (cue some Albert Hitchcock theme music).

Let's not make Perra sound like some kind of hero for turning down a scholarship to walk-on at the U, or Kill for getting him to (after all, the decision was a no-brainer for him, in my opinion). We should all be thanking daddy for forking over piles of cash, for likely the only year that he won't be on scholarship. If money were an issue for the Perra's, he would've went to SD.

this isn't anything against Perra, I'm sure he's a great kid, but let's not blow this out of proportion. He's portrayed as some kind of martyr for not being on scholarship. Treated like some kind of blue-collar working-class folk hero for "paying his way." Kill is portrayed as some kind of miracle worker for "dooping," him into coming to the U (I mean, his only schollie offer was from South Dakota.....not even SDSU....South Dakota University). If money and "free-education," were an issue, he would've went to SD, or elsewhere.

It must be tough to walk around with that chip on your shoulder.

Largely agree. I've always thought the biggest issue isn't money but prestige. Trust, there is enough grant money out there that if a major football coach wants a kid to come as a non scholly player bad enough, if its a kid that doesn't come from money they'll find a way to get the kid in school and with enough financial aid that they're not exactly taking out $40K loans each year. That said the big thing was as a walk on a kid doesn't (or at least in the past) get the same priveledges as the scholly players be it training room, dorm locations, access to other things, etc. Almost like being a 2nd class citizen on the team. I know Kill has always stressed treating them equally but there are still difference

That's an awfully grand claim. You are overestimating the number of college students that come from affluent families and have parents that take care of the costs. Most of the people that I went to school with have large amounts of loans to repay.

Getting kids who aren't being recruited to other FBS schools to commit to being a walk on isn't that hard. They are all chasing the dream of playing at the highest level possible. All it takes is a coach to sell them on the chance that they can compete for time (while hinting they think it's highly likely they will play) and they will turn down the money and opportunity to play at a lower level.

Selling Perra however couldn't have been easy given Nelson, Leidner, Streveller, DRM all being in place or in the works and underclassmen with lots of time left.

Pretty broad brush to paint with bud. Don't let your personal experiences bias you.

That's an awfully grand claim. You are overestimating the number of college students that come from affluent families and have parents that take care of the costs. Most of the people that I went to school with have large amounts of loans to repay.

Agreed. Average debt from educational loans at the U according to their website: The average debt load for graduating undergraduates at the University of Minnesota is around $27,578 which I would assume doesn't bring into account credit card bills. There is a reason that the U has such an extensive amount of services to help people with money management.

Largely agree. I've always thought the biggest issue isn't money but prestige. Trust, there is enough grant money out there that if a major football coach wants a kid to come as a non scholly player bad enough, if its a kid that doesn't come from money they'll find a way to get the kid in school and with enough financial aid that they're not exactly taking out $40K loans each year. That said the big thing was as a walk on a kid doesn't (or at least in the past) get the same priveledges as the scholly players be it training room, dorm locations, access to other things, etc. Almost like being a 2nd class citizen on the team. I know Kill has always stressed treating them equally but there are still difference

Pell Grants and other financial aids are available for those kids from under privileged backgrounds. So, if they want Joe Schmoe to walk on if his parents have no money they can work with the financial aid office to see if they qualify. If they qualify for full financial aid, the kid may owe hardly any money when it is all said and done.

Didn't Kill just mentioned that non-scholarship athletes can now participate in the training table too? They are mauling over paying athletes stipends or allowances.

Where it may hurt these walk-on kids is if the training table privileges and the proposed stipend allowances are classified as income by the IRS. This may lower their financial aid money they qualify for. I don't know how these will be treated for taxation purpose. Anyone care to comment?

Pell Grants and other financial aids are available for those kids from under privileged backgrounds. So, if they want Joe Schmoe to walk on if his parents have no money they can work with the financial aid office to see if they qualify. If they qualify for full financial aid, the kid may owe hardly any money when it is all said and done.

Didn't Kill just mentioned that non-scholarship athletes can now participate in the training table too? They are mauling over paying athletes stipends or allowances.

Where it may hurt these walk-on kids is if the training table privileges and the proposed stipend allowances are classified as income by the IRS. This may lower their financial aid money they qualify for. I don't know how these will be treated for taxation purpose. Anyone care to comment?

This is actually a really interesting comment and will be interesting to see how this all works out. Definitely something to ponder but I too have no idea how this would be treated

this isn't anything against Perra
, I'm sure he's a great kid, but let's not blow this out of proportion. He's portrayed as some kind of martyr for not being on scholarship. Treated like some kind of blue-collar working-class folk hero for "paying his way." Kill is portrayed as some kind of miracle worker for "dooping," him into coming to the U (I mean, his only schollie offer was from South Dakota.....not even SDSU....South Dakota University). If money and "free-education," were an issue, he would've went to SD, or elsewhere.

You made it very personal. Definitely sounds like something against Perra.

You must be working off of old info because these days walk-ons are treated very similar to scholarship players with the exception that their school is not being paid for by the school. I believe there are also some differences in terms of fringe benefits like medical expenses related to surgeries and other things like that but in terms of training table, training room access, dorm locations, gear and other things like that walk-ons are treated very similar to scholarship guys. They certainly aren't treated like second class citizens simply based on being walk-ons.

I believe proper English is, "He would've done gone to SD"

Agreed. My own personal experience was I had the grades and the test scores to get in to the U. My hang up was my mom's land was worth too much money. I couldn't even get loans, subsidized or otherwise, let alone grants. Yes, I was actually denied Student Aid. At the time she didn't even make $18/hour but because her assets were worth a lot, she should somehow be able to pay for my schooling w/o any help. Saying loans and grants would "fix" the issue of going to school is false.

Too bad when paying for college you weren't taught about generalizing. Just because kids you went to school with didn't get loans/jobs to pay for it doesn't mean most kids didn't. Further, even kids who have Mom & Dad pay for college can take education seriously. To make any assumptions about what is important or not important to Perra is just dumb. I bet he's got a better head on his shoulders than you. I really wish folks wouldn't quote your posts so my ignore function can actually do its job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. My own personal experience was I had the grades and the test scores to get in to the U. My hang up was my mom's land was worth too much money. I couldn't even get loans, subsidized or otherwise, let alone grants. Yes, I was actually denied Student Aid. At the time she didn't even make $18/hour but because her assets were worth a lot, she should somehow be able to pay for my schooling w/o any help. Saying loans and grants would "fix" the issue of going to school is false.

Your mom's land must have worth a whole ton of $$$$, since only 5% of parent's assets are used in the aid formula.

Bulldog...
What an idiotic post. I grew up very poor and paid for my way through school. I found out what a big difference it made in my life. So for my two kids, it was not an option, they went to college. I saved and paid the majority of my two kids way through college. It was not because they were spoiled or that I was rich. I didn't want them to start out with all that debt. It was rough, but we made it through and if I thought that my kids for one minute didn't appreciate their education I would kick their Azz. Don't let your envy for those who had help from their families make you foolish.

Bulldog...
What an idiotic post. I grew up very poor and paid for my way through school. I found out what a big difference it made in my life. So for my two kids, it was not an option, they went to college. I saved and paid the majority of my two kids way through college. It was not because they were spoiled or that I was rich. I didn't want them to start out with all that debt. It was rough, but we made it through and if I thought that my kids for one minute didn't appreciate their education I would kick their Azz. Don't let your envy for those who had help from their families make you foolish.

+1. You pretty much summed up my personal situation.

Too bad when paying for college you weren't taught about generalizing. Just because kids you went to school with didn't get loans/jobs to pay for it doesn't mean most kids didn't. Further, even kids who have Mom & Dad pay for college can take education seriously. To make any assumptions about what is important or not important to Perra is just dumb. I bet he's got a better head on his shoulders than you. I really wish folks wouldn't quote your posts so my ignore function can actually do its job.

+ a really big number

Your mom's land must have worth a whole ton of $$$$, since only 5% of parent's assets are used in the aid formula.

It was appraised at $500,000 when I graduated high school, not including the outbuildings and the timeshare she owned. Which was all bought long before I was in school and there were 2 incomes as well.

Top Bottom