Minnesota Vs. Nebraska Game Thread

Ugly win. What has happened to Coleman the last two games? Gaurds have to dribble drive and create.Thank god for Armelin dribble drive and penetration.

Armelin is passing Austin Hollins as a player. He made a ton of great plays today- rebounds, assists- the one assist was amazing- and he's playing well on defense.

Armelin is passing Austin Hollins as a player. He made a ton of great plays today- rebounds, assists- the one assist was amazing- and he's playing well on defense.
Chip will never play over Austin Hollins and is not fair to say that he is passing Hollins. They are two completely different players. Chip is a guy that needs the ball in his hands, Austin is not. Chip is an aggressive dribble-drive player, Austin is not. Chip is a guy who runs the fast break, Austin is not. Austin is perfect where he is as the 3 in a 3-guard offense. He plays consistently solid D and can hit the 3. And when he get aggressive like he was at the end of the Illinois game he can make plays. If you're going to say Chip is passing anyone, compare him to a guy with a similar skill set like Coleman.

Armelin is passing Austin Hollins as a player.

Austin is a very limited BBall player. He is streaky from three. Not a great ball-handler. An ok defender when he plays with energy. A poor rebounder. Only thing he has on Chip is at the free throw line.

Austin is a very limited BBall player. He is streaky from three. Not a great ball-handler. An ok defender when he plays with energy. A poor rebounder. Only thing he has on Chip is at the free throw line.
I disagree with the bolded. Austin is our second most consistent shooter, behind Welch. If anyone is streaky from 3 it is Chip, did you see him earlier in the year? Ya Austin isn't a great ball-handler but that doesn't mean he is a bad ball-handler. He's alright, which isn't a bad thing when you play the 3. An ok defender? He is one of the better defenders on this team.

IMO Austin and Chips games are similar. Both young guards, good in transition, streaky shooters. I don't have to choose one over the other, they can both be good since they are both Golden Gophers. Why do we have to chose? EE vs Ralph, Chip vs Joe, Chip vs Austin? I don't understand. I thoght we were allowed 15 (or so ) scholarships. Can't they all be good?

An ok defender? He is one of the better defenders on this team.

When he plays with energy, yes. But he has a very laid-back personality and at times when he is in the game he disappears on O and D.

When he plays with energy, yes. But he has a very laid-back personality and at times when he is in the game he disappears on O and D.

Ya, that is almost as bad as the OCD that our fans display during the course of a game.

Chip will never play over Austin Hollins and is not fair to say that he is passing Hollins. They are two completely different players. Chip is a guy that needs the ball in his hands, Austin is not. Chip is an aggressive dribble-drive player, Austin is not. Chip is a guy who runs the fast break, Austin is not. Austin is perfect where he is as the 3 in a 3-guard offense. He plays consistently solid D and can hit the 3. And when he get aggressive like he was at the end of the Illinois game he can make plays. If you're going to say Chip is passing anyone, compare him to a guy with a similar skill set like Coleman.

I may get mocked for this, but Chip has the potential to be a Grier-like player by his senior year if he can get his FT percentage up to at least 65%

Austin is certainly a better defender than Armelin.

the guards combined for 43 points, 16 assists and 11 TO's. When you don't have a super star at the position that's how you get it done. Have a bunch of guys who can do a bunch of different things. The potential for Joe, Andre and Austin is very good though. Chip is the Microwave it seems and Tubby will most likely keep him in that role. The previous 3 all have higher ceilings than Chip but it doesn't mean Chip won't play a big role on the team at times. I think it just depends on how a team is defending and how the game is going. Also, keep in mind when you play this many guards this much, it makes it more difficult on the defense to remember all the scouting reports and who can do what.

the guards combined for 43 points, 16 assists and 11 TO's. When you don't have a super star at the position that's how you get it done. Have a bunch of guys who can do a bunch of different things. The potential for Joe, Andre and Austin is very good though. Chip is the Microwave it seems and Tubby will most likely keep him in that role. The previous 3 all have higher ceilings than Chip but it doesn't mean Chip won't play a big role on the team at times. I think it just depends on how a team is defending and how the game is going. Also, keep in mind when you play this many guards this much, it makes it more difficult on the defense to remember all the scouting reports and who can do what.

Chip's really well suited to the 6th man role. If he were in the starting 5 he'd have to play a much more disciplined role. As the scorer on the second 5 he gets to play very aggressively which is his thing. I'd like to see him work on his defense & jumper for next season to make him a more complete player.

Our guards moving forward look solid.

PG-Welch
PG-Dre Hollins
PG-Maverick

SG-Austin Hollins
SG-Chip
SG/SF-Coleman

checked some big ten stats.. Chip and Julian are in the Top 10 in conference games in 3 point % both shooting over 40% in conference games. Julian was 3/3 today so his average will go up. But you're right Chip is out there to be agressive and score. I think he embraces the role which is key as well.

Top Bottom