Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

Why does there always have to be one dipshit who insists on spamming every thread and ruining Gopherhole for the rest of us. So tiresome and annoying
And that dumb SOB probably thinks we are talking about someone else.
He ha probably been in Gopherhole so long that he smells like Gopher shit!
I'll do you all a favor and quit posting here. I'm not quite as unpopular in real life, so I'll hang out there for a while.

Last edited:

If you don't understand that tempo has nothing to do with defense, you do not understand basketball. You're not insane, just ignorant. Defense (and offense, btw) is most meaningfully measured by points per possession, not points per game.

That aforementioned Jordan Taylor-led Wisconsin team was 10th in defensive efficiency while being 345th in tempo. That same year, 2012, North Carolina was 11th in defense and 9th in tempo.

Tempo is irrelevant.

on paper, the 2024-25 Gophers can produce results that are just as good or better than the 23-24 team - IF the players are used correctly.

I agree but I think they will have to do "better," maybe not that much better but at least noticeably better. I think "just as good" won't satisfy most fans. That won't be easy because early information projects the schedule to be more challenging.

People tend to talk about teams in terms of the best players but I think there is something to be said for a team with fewer noncontributing players and I get the sense that Johnson tried to recruit with that idea in mind.

Well, agree to disagree. He had the quickness to stay with guys and the speed to make steals but you could shoot right over him and was easily made into a mismatch. If you PG is a really good defender you aren't going to be ranked 125th on defense. Mike Mitchell had 3 less steals than Hawkins in 90 less minutes. I loved watching Hawkins play but a "very good defender"- he was not. What he did best was get us better shots early in the clock with his speed/pace.

If you would like additional stats Evan Miya has Hawkins as the third lowest rated defender among the top 9 players. Christie was worst, Ola Joseph second worst and Hawkins third worst. That is not the final word on it but it is a datapoint. Patterson, Odukale and Rigsby all rate better than any of those 3 as defenders.

It's telling that even in those rare instances where Hawkins was outmatched physically, CBJ didn't slide Mitchell over to play PG, or even to defend the opposing PG. Ryan James said during the season that the staff wished they had a stronger PG who they could have gone to in those situations, and they believe Asuma will be that player. Last year at least, there was no one on the roster that the stafff thought could guard those bigger, stronger PG's better than Hawkins. It's also noteworthy that teams came throwing big money at Hawkins to play PG for them, while Mitchell is....still here, and looking at splitting time with Patterson.

It's telling that even in those rare instances where Hawkins was outmatched physically, CBJ didn't slide Mitchell over to play PG, or even to defend the opposing PG. Ryan James said during the season that the staff wished they had a stronger PG who they could have gone to in those situations, and they believe Asuma will be that player. Last year at least, there was no one on the roster that the stafff thought could guard those bigger, stronger PG's better than Hawkins. It's also noteworthy that teams came throwing big money at Hawkins to play PG for them, while Mitchell is....still here, and looking at splitting time with Patterson.
Totally agree.

Hawkins has occasional issues with checking bigger, stronger guards.

But on the whole- considering his ball pressure, quickness, and just being a general pest / ball hawk (pun intended)...he was a plus defender for us.

And that dumb SOB probably thinks we are talking about someone else.
He ha probably been in Gopherhole so long that he smells like Gopher shit!
I'll do you all a favor and quit posting here. I'm not quite as unpopular in real life, so I'll hang out there for a while.
Haha the best part- I didn't call you out by name...you just assumed it was you being referenced (obviously correct, but hilarious nonetheless)

Hawk was more valuable than Mitchell without a doubt. My point has been very simple. We can be better than last year by being different and cleaning up our defensive deficiencies. I hated to see the three guys - Payne, Hawkins and Christie- leave. The absolute best case scenario would have been those three staying and adding a smaller group from the portal to augment that. We are never going to be as good this year as we could have been had those guys stayed- but we still could be better than last year.

Hawk was more valuable than Mitchell without a doubt. My point has been very simple. We can be better than last year by being different and cleaning up our defensive deficiencies. I hated to see the three guys - Payne, Hawkins and Christie- leave. The absolute best case scenario would have been those three staying and adding a smaller group from the portal to augment that. We are never going to be as good this year as we could have been had those guys stayed- but we still could be better than last year.

Little to no chance. I'd put it at 7%

And to think that ANYONE of us could do that job twice as well for half that salary!
LOL!
And look at all the help he gets free of charge, from us!
I'd do better. I'd make the NCAA for sure.

I'd have taken a $1M salary. Maybe $750K. And used the other $1-1.25M to keep our team.

And gotten a good replacement for Christie if he stays in the draft.

Well then I guess we should all just give up now. They may as well not even play the games. We might as well be miserable for the next 12 months.
Pretty much.

Everyone worth anything will leave the team.

Garcia must have something lined-up overseas or something. It's a miracle he's still here.

I'd have taken a $1M salary. Maybe $750K. And used the other $1-1.25M to keep our team.

What an absolute joke this coming from a guy who claims he’s not even gonna watch the team play what the hell do you care then?

What an absolute joke this coming from a guy who claims he’s not even gonna watch the team play what the hell do you care then?
I think it's an absolute joke that nobody seems to care about what just happened to our team.

And what will continue to happen.

I'll probably post much less after the sting of this wears off. There's nothing to look forward to, in my opinion.

I think it's an absolute joke that nobody seems to care about what just happened to our team.

And what will continue to happen.

I'll probably post much less after the sting of this wears off. There's nothing to look forward to, in my opinion.

Lost two starters to the portal on a below avg team. Probably happened to 50% of the teams in the country if not more.

If you don't understand that tempo has nothing to do with defense, you do not understand basketball. You're not insane, just ignorant. Defense (and offense, btw) is most meaningfully measured by points per possession, not points per game.

That aforementioned Jordan Taylor-led Wisconsin team was 10th in defensive efficiency while being 345th in tempo. That same year, 2012, North Carolina was 11th in defense and 9th in tempo.

Tempo is irrelevant.
Gophers ranked #179 and #10 in BIG

Gophers ranked #205 and #11 in BIG

Why does there always have to be one dipshit who insists on spamming every thread and ruining Gopherhole for the rest of us. So tiresome and annoying
Actually there are many more than one.
Just reading the posts makes many of us hate the posters so much that we all are just driven to fxck-up Gopherhole and all the rodents who are members!
Just kidding, but that felt SOOOOO GOOD!

so you are saying that if you were the coach, you would deliberately break the rules. and what happens when you get caught and the team gets hit with sanctions?

look - you don't like the current NIL setup. I get it.

but at some point, you have to accept the reality of the situation. just because you want things to be different, that does not mean that you will get your way. take it from a guy who went through rehab 3 times - learning to accept reality is part of being an adult. you still don't have to like it - but you have to accept it.

Serious question here (and I apologize if it's been discussed already)....but there seems to be little rules/guidelines for NIL right now.....what's to prevent a coach from donating a million dollars to an NIL collective??? I've read that NIL money can be earmarked for a particular sport, so what's to stop a coach from making that donation to help obtain/retain players?

Serious question here (and I apologize if it's been discussed already)....but there seems to be little rules/guidelines for NIL right now.....what's to prevent a coach from donating a million dollars to an NIL collective??? I've read that NIL money can be earmarked for a particular sport, so what's to stop a coach from making that donation to help obtain/retain players?
Other than that it is not tax deductible, I don't know of a rule against it.

Lost two starters to the portal on a below avg team. Probably happened to 50% of the teams in the country if not more.
3 starters. But losing 2 is plenty bad.

But yeah, like I said, nobody seems to care. Nobody cares that we're officially a farm-team now.

On3 says Minnesota had the #1-worst off-season in all of college basketball. And I agree. I don't just consider this typical business-as-usual.

so you are saying that if you were the coach, you would deliberately break the rules. and what happens when you get caught and the team gets hit with sanctions?

look - you don't like the current NIL setup. I get it.

but at some point, you have to accept the reality of the situation. just because you want things to be different, that does not mean that you will get your way. take it from a guy who went through rehab 3 times - learning to accept reality is part of being an adult. you still don't have to like it - but you have to accept it.
Paying to keep our players isn't breaking any rules.

And I disagree with simply 'accepting reality'. Bending over and taking it...and saying "Please can I have another".

If they finally come right out and tell us that space aliens are visiting Earth...are we supposed to just accept that too? Accept any absurdity?

Edit: I understand wanting college basketball to still be fun. So we accept this. And I don't want to be a downer. But heaping all the blame on Coach Johnson...that makes me want to argue.

Last edited:

3 starters. But losing 2 is plenty bad.

But yeah, like I said, nobody seems to care. Nobody cares that we're officially a farm-team now.

On3 says Minnesota had the #1-worst off-season in all of college basketball. And I agree. I don't just consider this typical business-as-usual.

Christie is gonna stay in the draft.

It's the way it's going to be moving forward. Is Arizona a farm-team because they lost two starters to transfer?

Had Christie come back instead of going to the NBA, I would have liked this roster more than last years. I'm not sure why you're shitting on a guy like Patterson. His profile was much better than Hawkins' was coming into the program.

Based on how he handled the combine, I'd be surprised if he didn't stay. Just a prediction.
Ok, thanks.
Until he officially declares for the NBA, the Gopher roster has no vacancies.

Top Bottom