Minnesota native Lu’Cye Patterson commits to the Gophers

Christie is gonna stay in the draft.

It's the way it's going to be moving forward. Is Arizona a farm-team because they lost two starters to transfer?

Had Christie come back instead of going to the NBA, I would have liked this roster more than last years. I'm not sure why you're shitting on a guy like Patterson. His profile was much better than Hawkins' was coming into the program.
Arizona loses starters because they buy even better starters.

If we can't even agree that Minnesota had a bad off-season...no wonder we're always arguing. This is a disaster. NOT normal.

And yeah, we might get a guy or 2 that's close to as good as what our guys were last year. But nowhere near as good they will be next year.

If we can't even agree that Minnesota had a bad off-season...no wonder we're always arguing. This is a disaster. NOT normal.

And yeah, we might get a guy or 2 that's close to as good as what our guys were last year. But nowhere near as good they will be next year.
The Arizona center was like a top 5 portal player....

Paying to keep our players isn't breaking any rules.
but not if the money comes directly from the Coach.

under the current rules - and yes, there are rules - NIL cannot come directly from the school, and that includes the coach. NIL has to come from an outside source like a business or a collective.

so your scenario where the coach uses part of his salary for NIL is against the current rules.

unless you are advocating that MN should break the rules. I'm sure that will end well.

Except they didn't.

Losing Christie early to the NBA hurts as does losing PP. Patterson can be every bit as good as Hawkins can be, based on his performance last year. Charlotte wasn't that much worse than us and he avg 14 ppg.

I get it though, you have your schtick.

but not if the money comes directly from the Coach.

under the current rules - and yes, there are rules - NIL cannot come directly from the school, and that includes the coach. NIL has to come from an outside source like a business or a collective.

so your scenario where the coach uses part of his salary for NIL is against the current rules.

unless you are advocating that MN should break the rules. I'm sure that will end well.
Honest question here:

When you say the money can't come from the school, what defines the school? It sounds like you're saying CBJ can't give $ to DTA for basketball. What if he gave $1M to football and PJ gave $1M to basketball? Still not allowed? How about if each professor on campus got a $20,000 raise, and each professor gave the raise to DTA? Still not allowed?

Just trying to understand the rule better, and you seem to have more knowledge about it than me.

Except they didn't.

Losing Christie early to the NBA hurts as does losing PP. Patterson can be every bit as good as Hawkins can be, based on his performance last year. Charlotte wasn't that much worse than us and he avg 14 ppg.

I get it though, you have your schtick.
How many other teams besides us lost 3 $500K+ players and didn't buy any other high-priced players to replace them?

Yes it's possible that Patterson will be good. But being down 2 good starters still stinks. Christie will transfer if he doesn't stay in the draft.

I asked Ryan James where we stand with Evans, and his reply was "Gophers are done with transfers", so it appears our roster is set.
I think that means they're prepared for the possibility either Cam coming back / no more new players. Looks like it's likely the latter

Maybe six B+ players is better than 3 A+ players.

Honest question here:

When you say the money can't come from the school, what defines the school? It sounds like you're saying CBJ can't give $ to DTA for basketball. What if he gave $1M to football and PJ gave $1M to basketball? Still not allowed? How about if each professor on campus got a $20,000 raise, and each professor gave the raise to DTA? Still not allowed?

Just trying to understand the rule better, and you seem to have more knowledge about it than me.

OK - this is from the official guidance issued by the NCAA Division 1 Board of Directors to help schools navigate the NIL landscape:

“The Board also clarified that school personnel (including coaches) CAN assist an NIL entity with fundraising through appearances or by providing autographed memorabilia but CANNOT donate cash directly to those entities (collectives, such as Tennessee’s nationally renowned Spyre Sports Group).

again - this is the official guidance from the NCAA. (I would have to do more digging to come up with the exact definition for school personnel, but I know it includes all athletic department members.)

So, Ben Johnson is allowed to meet with boosters and potential donors. He is allowed to introduce those donors to someone from Dinkytown Athletes. He can tell those donors that MN needs NIL to keep its best players. But Ben Johnson is not allowed to make a direct contribution to Dinkytown Athletes. Same with Mark Coyle or any other "school personnel."

Coyle can meet with donors, suggest they support the NIL collective, and introduce donors to people from Dinkytown Athletes. But if Coyle makes a direct contribution to Dinkytown Athletes, that is in violation of NCAA guidance.

the money has to come from outside the school. in theory, there is a firewall between the school and the money.

Pilgrim and others may not like the rules. but not liking a rule does not mean you can ignore the rule.

How many other teams besides us lost 3 $500K+ players and didn't buy any other high-priced players to replace them?

Yes it's possible that Patterson will be good. But being down 2 good starters still stinks. Christie will transfer if he doesn't stay in the draft.

We didn't lose 3 $500K players either. Hawkins' isn't getting that at Tech. And Christie will get that from the NBA.

Is there a big wing you happen to have in mind Sane? 😂
Yeah, the one with whom I have annoyed everyone on this website. Ken Evans, Jr., although I will go away, as long as it is not a walk-on...

IMO, we WILL be better if we add one more BIG wing to our current roster.
Christie would be fine, but the portal contains better big wings.
Just one man's opinion.
Little early to be on the sauce Sane

What I see is that people both think 1) they need to make the NCAAs for Johnson to keep his job, and 2) they’ll be battling to make the BTT. The expectations are so low that I don’t think the first part is really true. If MN ends up 9-11 again, it will be seen as a wildly successful coaching job.

What I see is that people both think 1) they need to make the NCAAs for Johnson to keep his job, and 2) they’ll be battling to make the BTT. The expectations are so low that I don’t think the first part is really true. If MN ends up 9-11 again, it will be seen as a wildly successful coaching job.
The way the team sets up, if they don't make the NCAAs there will be no selling "wait until next year" because most of the team leaves again. If he doesn't make it in year 4 - it'll be time.

The way the team sets up, if they don't make the NCAAs there will be no selling "wait until next year" because most of the team leaves again. If he doesn't make it in year 4 - it'll be time.
Most of the team will be replaced by the transfer portal and may be improved because you never know what you are going to get out of the transfer portal from year to year.

Most of the team will be replaced by the transfer portal and may be improved because you never know what you are going to get out of the transfer portal from year to year.
We have not done anything in the last three years that suggests putting an NCAA tournament team together exclusively from the transfer portal. We’re not Arkansas. Could it happen? Yes. Will it? Unlikely.

Right, but you can go to the portal with any coach. If you have a solid roster that is staying, that is an advantage for keeping the coach. Win or adios.

There’s no selling wait until next year anywhere anymore. This turnover is the new normal.

Let’s be realistic. Most people seem to think this roster is not a tournament team. Maybe not even a *Big Ten* tournament team. Most people also understand the school’s NIL situation puts limitations on roster construction out of the coach’s control. Any coach.

So, the coach will probably be judged on whether the team outperforms its meager expectations.

Highly Doubtful. Tech would have kept Isaacs if that was the case as he's a better player.
By every report, every estimate, every rumor...on every website...and by what every coach is saying...it's almost for-sure that Hawkins got around $500K.

Isaacs is a better scorer. But Hawkins had more than double the assists...and led the nation.

Many teams that lose high-priced players pay big money to replace them. We don't.

By every report, every estimate, every rumor...on every website...and by what every coach is saying...it's almost for-sure that Hawkins got around $500K.

Isaacs is a better scorer. But Hawkins had more than double the assists...and led the nation.

Many teams that lose high-priced players pay big money to replace them. We don't.

I've seen nothing that would indicate he got $500K. If you have a link I'd be open to changing my mind. If he did get get that, they should have used it towards Isaacs. As he's the better player.

Top Bottom