Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

Fair point, I understand the logic.

On the other hand, the seeding can't be that far out of whack, as there are exactly 2 teams below the #4 line that are still playing in the 48 sections Class 5A or lower (#7 Tartan in Sec 4/5A & #5 Litchfield in Sec 2/3A). Just not a lot of injustice if it was capped at 4. Litchfield, indeed would have been hosed in my proposal as they were 5-3. Tartan would have been on the sidelines, at 1-7.

If the number of classes were reduced, sure that would change things. Still, I would like to eliminate the WED - TUE - SAT, schedule. Playing 3 games in 9 days, just seems crazy.
You’re right, this year there doesn’t seem to be much of an issue. My issue more lies with trying to rank teams that hardly played any other teams in their section.

Do the Gophers or any D1 college football team have paid/unpaid scouts at the HS level to keep tabs on high school prospects? Is that even considered legal by NCAA rules?
Each HS has a Head Coach to assist in getting word out. Also each kid can send a hudl video to the Gopher recruiting team to get on the radar. Gophers hold camps each summer as well.

Saw that Ohio went to everyone makes the playoffs this year and the same arguments are happening there. I like that everyone makes the playoffs. It makes up for unbalanced scheduling and extreme differences in school sizes. In the end, the teams get to end their season by playing, a win or go home, game against a school of their similar size. 1A teams are dressing 8th graders to fill out a roster, 4A teams are 10-12, 6A are 11-12 for the most part. They added a class which for the most part has eliminated the 1v8 game and in Classes 3A-6A most 1 and 2 seeds get a bye. Many teams don't play the Wed/Tues/Saturday anymore.

Fair point, I understand the logic.

On the other hand, the seeding can't be that far out of whack, as there are exactly 2 teams below the #4 line that are still playing in the 48 sections Class 5A or lower (#7 Tartan in Sec 4/5A & #5 Litchfield in Sec 2/3A). Just not a lot of injustice if it was capped at 4. Litchfield, indeed would have been hosed in my proposal as they were 5-3. Tartan would have been on the sidelines, at 1-7.

If the number of classes were reduced, sure that would change things. Still, I would like to eliminate the WED - TUE - SAT, schedule. Playing 3 games in 9 days, just seems crazy.
I think you see enough #5/#6 seeds win that you can't cut playoffs teams off at .500. It should be sections of 8. You play everyone in your section + one crossover game.

Seed teams 1-8. 1/2 Seeds get a bye. 7/8 seeds play each other for a single playoff game and then done.

If you're going to put everyone in the playoffs you face the issue of first-round games that are ridiculously uncompetitive, particularly in 8-team sections. Hopkins, the worst team in 6A, lost 50-0 to Lakeville South in the last regular season game, and was rewarded by having to play them again the next week in the playoffs. It's hard to see how games like that are a good thing for anyone, and it's a bigger issue in football than other sports as overmatched teams face increased injury risk. Six-team sections let you give the top two teams byes and at least avoid some of the blowouts, although it didn't help Apple Valley against St. Thomas (49-0 for the second time this season).
One of the problems is there just aren’t enough good teams in each class. There are too many classes.

and the best teams in lower classes would be fine.
Chaska and Mankato west would both beat half of 6a

some of the years past Caledonia teams would’ve been top half of 6a

Not saying there should be 1 class.

saying there should be 6 classes not 7.

I think you see enough #5/#6 seeds win that you can't cut playoffs teams off at .500. It should be sections of 8. You play everyone in your section + one crossover game.

Seed teams 1-8. 1/2 Seeds get a bye. 7/8 seeds play each other for a single playoff game and then done.
And the number of sections of 8 should determine the number of classes. Not arbitrary cut lines that they ignore anyways (to let brainerd and coon rapids play easier schedules)

Saw that Ohio went to everyone makes the playoffs this year and the same arguments are happening there. I like that everyone makes the playoffs. It makes up for unbalanced scheduling and extreme differences in school sizes. In the end, the teams get to end their season by playing, a win or go home, game against a school of their similar size. 1A teams are dressing 8th graders to fill out a roster, 4A teams are 10-12, 6A are 11-12 for the most part. They added a class which for the most part has eliminated the 1v8 game and in Classes 3A-6A most 1 and 2 seeds get a bye. Many teams don't play the Wed/Tues/Saturday anymore.
I don't know if everyone should make the playoffs, but those who don't should get to play another game against another non-playoff team. Who doesn't want to play more games at that age.

And I agree, they need to eliminate one class. Maybe split 4A with the smaller ones combining with 3A, and the larger ones going with 5A.

Also, get rid of the A after everything. Just call them A,B,C,D,E, 9-man. God forbid someone might feel bad because they're the class E champion instead of 1A.

I don't know if everyone should make the playoffs, but those who don't should get to play another game against another non-playoff team. Who doesn't want to play more games at that age.

And I agree, they need to eliminate one class. Maybe split 4A with the smaller ones combining with 3A, and the larger ones going with 5A.

Also, get rid of the A after everything. Just call them A,B,C,D,E, 9-man. God forbid someone might feel bad because they're the class E champion instead of 1A.
Wisconsin has 8 classes and MN has 7. They only take 32 for playoffs, but I believe they play 9 games in the regular season with teams with winning record going to playoffs. In the end everyone is guaranteed 9 games in both states. Neither is perfect, but I prefer the MN model.

Wisconsin has 8 classes and MN has 7. They only take 32 for playoffs, but I believe they play 9 games in the regular season with teams with winning record going to playoffs. In the end everyone is guaranteed 9 games in both states. Neither is perfect, but I prefer the MN model.
Wisconsin the classes are decided after playoff teams are selected. Which is interesting.

currently there are 354 teams that play in MSHSL
the smallest 64 should be 9 man
The next 64 should be 1a
The next 64 should be 2a
The next 64 should be 3a
The next 64 should be 4a
The next 34 should be 5a

Wisconsin the classes are decided after playoff teams are selected. Which is interesting.

The next 64 should be 1a
The next 64 should be 2a
The next 64 should be 3a
The next 64 should be 4a
The next 34 should be 5a
How does that work where they decide the classes after the season?

That's surprising, comparing the area around it to what it's like up by that house farm.
You assume everyone who lives in a newer development is some kind of classist snob. I get it. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to ready my torture chamber in the third stall of my suburban garage in case any undesireables wander by.

The next 64 should be 1a
The next 64 should be 2a
The next 64 should be 3a
The next 64 should be 4a
The next 34 should be 5a
I don't agree with "forcing" a school to play less than 11 man football just because it's "too small".

They should be given the opportunity to form a co-op, if nothing else.

If they want to (more like, if they've had history now) play 9-man, more power to them.

The next 64 should be 1a
The next 64 should be 2a
The next 64 should be 3a
The next 64 should be 4a
The next 34 should be 5a
When I played in the mid-80s, we had 23 guys on our roster from 9-12th grade. We should have been 9-Man at least 5 years before that, but our school board thought that it would cost too much money to bus us to other 9-man schools, which were further away. They favored saving money and keeping us 11-man, play all the local schools, and watch us being dealt a weekly ass-whooping by teams with rosters 3-4x as large as ours.
They kept telling us how difficult it is to just switch to 9-man. I don't know what it is like now but maybe for some smaller schools there are travel-time and competition issues that would make it difficult to just jump around from class to class.

Does Wisconsin still wait until enrollments are in before they seed within a class? I had a buddy who coached in WI a decade back. One year his squad was a big division 4 school. The next it was a small division 3 school. He wouldn't know which division until the enrollments were tallied in the beginning of the year.
Wisconsin liked to keep every division with an equal amount of teams rather than cap at a specific enrollment. That meant every year you could potentially be bounced from one division to the next.

I don't agree with "forcing" a school to play less than 11 man football just because it's "too small".

They should be given the opportunity to form a co-op, if nothing else.

If they want to (more like, if they've had history now) play 9-man, more power to them.

Schools have the right to "opt up." there are a number of schools that would qualify for 9-man based on enrollment but they opt up to class A.

And, FWIW - there is nothing "wrong" with 9-man. the 9-man game is a lot of fun and still open to all types of styles, from ground-and-pound to wide-open. the thing is - smaller schools may have skill players, but struggle to come up with enough quality linemen to play 11-man. Or the linemen they have wind up playing both ways and getting the bleep beat out of them by the 4th qtr.

I know of at least one district that has had opportunities to co-op and turned them down because they want to stay in 9-man.

Schools have the right to "opt up." there are a number of schools that would qualify for 9-man based on enrollment but they opt up to class A.

And, FWIW - there is nothing "wrong" with 9-man. the 9-man game is a lot of fun and still open to all types of styles, from ground-and-pound to wide-open. the thing is - smaller schools may have skill players, but struggle to come up with enough quality linemen to play 11-man. Or the linemen they have wind up playing both ways and getting the bleep beat out of them by the 4th qtr.

I know of at least one district that has had opportunities to co-op and turned them down because they want to stay in 9-man.
All good.

In the post I replied to, it seemed to be that the smallest 64 were required to play 9-man, regardless if they actually do now or wanted to do that.

How does that work where they decide the classes after the season?
They place teams into the playoffs then put the biggest schools who made it into one class. Next biggest into next class etc

play more regional schedules with multiple classes then put winning records in playoffs

Does Wisconsin still wait until enrollments are in before they seed within a class? I had a buddy who coached in WI a decade back. One year his squad was a big division 4 school. The next it was a small division 3 school. He wouldn't know which division until the enrollments were tallied in the beginning of the year.
Wisconsin liked to keep every division with an equal amount of teams rather than cap at a specific enrollment. That meant every year you could potentially be bounced from one division to the next.
I think they do that once the playoff field has been selected. So you have some schools that can be big class one year and second biggest next year based on who had winning records that year

I’ve never coached in wisconsin but have two people I’m close to who have

The next 64 should be 1a
The next 64 should be 2a
The next 64 should be 3a
The next 64 should be 4a
The next 34 should be 5a
There aren't 64 9-man teams in the state, so you're forcing teams to play 9-Man. There are 63 teams in 1A, so they are basically full.

By your model you would have Schools with 850 students playing schools with 1550 schools by combining 5A and 4A

Combine the next 64, would have enrollments of 450 against schools with 750.

You want schools with 40%+ more kids to choose from and that doesn't take into account demographics and economics? Then add in the private schools and where do they fit and bump other programs.

Current model isn't perfect, but it's updated every two years and provides all teams to be placed in a playoff against similar sized schools.

I guess Albert Lea didn't get very far in the sectionals again this year. Oh well, there's always next year!
Albert Lea has not been good since the mid '70's. Mankato West also used to be a bottom feeder and would get pummeled by the rest of the Big 9. Times have changed.

Albert Lea has not been good since the mid '70's. Mankato West also used to be a bottom feeder and would get pummeled by the rest of the Big 9. Times have changed.
Good point, Mankato East and West used to play a Big 9 schedule and then play down in Class A against schools like St. Peter, Blue Earth, New Ulm and Fairmont in the playoffs. (Early 90's). West still couldn't win and East would be a tough out after going 4-4 in the Big 9. Reallignment has gone on forever based on enrollment.

There aren't 64 9-man teams in the state, so you're forcing teams to play 9-Man. There are 63 teams in 1A, so they are basically full.

By your model you would have Schools with 850 students playing schools with 1550 schools by combining 5A and 4A

You want schools with 40%+ more kids to choose from and that doesn't take into account demographics and economics? Then add in the private schools and where do they fit and bump other programs.

Current model isn't perfect, but it's updated every two years and provides all teams to be placed in a playoff against similar sized schools.

So right now, there are 30 teams in 6A. 29 are the largest by enrollment, plus Totino-Grace is moved up (and Coon Rapids is moved down despite enrollment.) We won't consider Totino for this argument.

The largest school in 6A, Wayzata (3396), is nearly twice the size of the smallest, Lakeville North (1780).

Park Center, which has enrollment of 1669, not much smaller than Lakeville North, plays Richfield (891) under district scheduling. Also almost twice the size.

I'm sure if I dig, I can find others, but enrollment disparities like the ones you mention already exist. Would you add more classes?

So right now, there are 30 teams in 6A. 29 are the largest by enrollment, plus Totino-Grace is moved up (and Coon Rapids is moved down despite enrollment.) We won't consider Totino for this argument.

The largest school in 6A, Wayzata (3396), is nearly twice the size of the smallest, Lakeville North (1780).

Park Center, which has enrollment of 1669, not much smaller than Lakeville North, plays Richfield (891) under district scheduling. Also almost twice the size.

I'm sure if I dig, I can find others, but enrollment disparities like the ones you mention already exist. Would you add more classes?
It's why enrollments don't work 100%. You have to formulate a way to take economics, competitive balance and demographics into account. Lakeville North football is on the decline and Lakeville South/Farmington is where the shift has now happened. I would not add more classes.

Why is it okay for schools of 3400 play schools of 1700 but not okay for schools of 1800 play schools of 900?

If you think the current model is the best stop drinking the cool aid

Quit trying your best to make an A+ model that is so messed up it’s an F
Instead legislate fairness. A B model that gets a B

It's why enrollments don't work 100%. You have to formulate a way to take economics, competitive balance and demographics into account. Lakeville North football is on the decline and Lakeville South/Farmington is where the shift has now happened. I would not add more classes.
So should we design a special schedule for Lakeville north to wins next year like we did for park cottage grove, Eagan, and anoka this year?

Quit trying to legislate anything more than fairness

So should we design a special schedule for Lakeville north to wins next year like we did for park cottage grove, Eagan, and anoka this year?

Agreed. The old system, which was based on a combination of school size and geography made the most sense, and yes, it changes over time. But that's how it should still be.

I know they haven't been good for a long time. I graduated from there ('85). My Senior year I think they won two games, but one of those was against John Marshall. They had a pretty decent RB at the time named Darrell Thompson. I heard he did OK.;)

Properly not needed but maybe in 5 years. In the end who cares who they play in the regular season when they all make the playoffs based on section and similar sized schools?

Top Bottom