Minnesota High School Football Section Championship Matchups

Nope. Maroon are bad teams and gold are good teams. Everyone knows it. Really speaks to what the MSHSL and coaches think of the east metro to put them all in the bad division
Oh, I know that the Maroon div. is supposed to be the weaker teams, but it is basically an E-W split if you look at it.

Because if you redraw the lines and send Blaine kids to Andover, the Andover parents complain. As do the Blaine parents.

Basically you have to hope you have good demographic projections when you build the school. South metro has same issue with apple valley high school. East had the same issue with park cottage grove (that is now finally growing).
Osseo Schools (MGHS, Oseeo, PCHS) and Mounds View District (Irondale and MVHS) have had similar issues. Everyone knows it would probably be better to redraw the boundaries but none of the parents want to volunteer their neighborhood to make the switch.

If anyone wants to see actual enrollments (and all kinds of other demographics) you can use this website (I pre-set it with EPHS as example, but you can search for whatever HS you want):

EPHS is 2828 students total, Wayzata is 3502, Champlin Park is 2931, Blaine is 2940.... Those are some of the big ones but other people can have fun searching for the others.
So pretty close to what I posted (which were from 2019-2020 number). But nobody has graduating classes of over 1000 in this state...

So pretty close to what I posted (which were from 2019-2020 number). But nobody has graduating classes of over 1000 in this state...
A lot of times freshmen and sophomore classes are bigger than junior and senior classes as you lose kids to a number of things.

Nope - but check back in 5-10 years and Wayzata will be there.

Osseo Schools (MGHS, Oseeo, PCHS) and Mounds View District (Irondale and MVHS) have had similar issues. Everyone knows it would probably be better to redraw the boundaries but none of the parents want to volunteer their neighborhood to make the switch.
I'm well aware of the Osseo issues. We used to live in the far northern part of Brooklyn Park. This was before we had a kid, but it was quite obvious that if you lived in the Park Center attendance area, your house was worth less than if the exact same house was in the Osseo or even moreso, the Maple Grove attendance areas. We lived just south of the district line, and new houses being built to the north would always tout that they were in the Anoka (Champlin Park) district and NOT Osseo (Park Center.)

Nope - but check back in 5-10 years and Wayzata will be there.
Yep, right around when my kid graduates. I know a few families in the area who are open enrolling in Orono, just because it's so much smaller.

With the exception of Hopkins being in the Maroon, it looks like it's basically just an East (Maroon) and West (Gold) split.
They are Split North/South according to Conference Titles. Maroon Gold and South. Gold North and South. For the most part it's the largest schools are gold. Gold dominated week 1 and the first round of the playoffs on Friday. Can't have a perfect system because money and numbers are always going to be in clusters/areas. People will complain their conference is loaded, then they will complain that their section is loaded. If the goal is to have the best teams in the Championship, they should probably seed 1-32 by computer and let it play out.

I'm well aware of the Osseo issues. We used to live in the far northern part of Brooklyn Park. This was before we had a kid, but it was quite obvious that if you lived in the Park Center attendance area, your house was worth less than if the exact same house was in the Osseo or even moreso, the Maple Grove attendance areas. We lived just south of the district line, and new houses being built to the north would always tout that they were in the Anoka (Champlin Park) district and NOT Osseo (Park Center.)
I know lots of families from that area well. Lots of people moved to Champlin Park boundaries a few years ago from Park Center boundaries when CPHS closed open enrollment. There are tons of houses really close to CPHS that are actually in PCHS boundaries. They just always did open enrollment.

That's a different issue though than having one high school that is big/small or rich/poor (or both) in the same district. Some districts could balance things out better but it's generally very unpopular at least on one side of the district so nothing ever happens.

They are Split North/South according to Conference Titles. Maroon Gold and South. Gold North and South. For the most part it's the largest schools are gold. Gold dominated week 1 and the first round of the playoffs on Friday. Can't have a perfect system because money and numbers are always going to be in clusters/areas. People will complain their conference is loaded, then they will complain that their section is loaded. If the goal is to have the best teams in the Championship, they should probably seed 1-32 by computer and let it play out.
The sample size isn’t big enough to seed by computer. The solution is to seed by section, have everyone play their section plus one out of section.
If the sections are fair enough for playoff they are fair enough for regular season.

I know lots of families from that area well. Lots of people moved to Champlin Park boundaries a few years ago from Park Center boundaries when CPHS closed open enrollment. There are tons of houses really close to CPHS that are actually in PCHS boundaries. They just always did open enrollment.

That's a different issue though than having one high school that is big/small or rich/poor (or both) in the same district. Some districts could balance things out better but it's generally very unpopular at least on one side of the district so nothing ever happens.
And all those districts are the districts facing lawsuits from the office of civil rights at US dept of education.

The really crazy thing, is that the Anoka (CPHS) district runs all the way down almost to 694 in a narrow area along the Mississippi river, basically wrapping itself around the east side of both Osseo (PC) and even tiny Brooklyn Center at the southernmost point.

Wow a whole thread about rezoning school district boundaries! Just what I always wanted!!!
Then don't read it. It's relevant in terms of high school football, which is the topic at hand.

Most interesting games to me:
Farmington Minnetonka
Lakeville north Eden prairie
Elk River Andover
Maple grove east ridge
Pipestone Jackson co central
Faribault Hutchinson
Chaska Mankato west
Cooper armstrong
Mayo Owatonna (Saturday)

Jackson County Central has an 8th grader starting at QB. Might be one to keep an eye on. Really athletic kid and strong arm.

I've seen him play twice. 6'3" & 185 as an 8th-grader. His older brother Rudy Voss is the backup QB for SDSU. This kid (Roman) is bigger and stronger than Rudy was at the same age. JCC doesn't throw a lot, but he is fairly accurate on the routes they run and seems to have decent arm strength.
The coach told me he didn't want to put too much on the kid at that age, so they don't have him running too much on the option.

JCC goes a lot of power-I and they go old-school wishbone in short-yardage situations.

I talked to the kid after one game and he seems pretty level-headed.

I've seen him play twice. 6'3" & 185 as an 8th-grader. His older brother Rudy Voss is the backup QB for SDSU. This kid (Roman) is bigger and stronger than Rudy was at the same age. JCC doesn't throw a lot, but he is fairly accurate on the routes they run and seems to have decent arm strength.
The coach told me he didn't want to put too much on the kid at that age, so they don't have him running too much on the option.

JCC goes a lot of power-I and they go old-school wishbone in short-yardage situations.

I talked to the kid after one game and he seems pretty level-headed.
My son plays AAU basketball with him. Great kid and family. Really athletic, you won't find many 8th graders more so.

Then don't read it. It's relevant in terms of high school football, which is the topic at hand.
The thread is about sectional football matchups, not rezoning of school districts.

My son plays AAU basketball with him. Great kid and family. Really athletic, you won't find many 8th graders more so.
It’s always impressive to see a kid starting that young. Regardless of position or school size.

And all those districts are the districts facing lawsuits from the office of civil rights at US dept of education.
Don't need to discuss here but if you could send me a link to something about that I'd be very interested in reading it.

Most interesting games to me:
Farmington Minnetonka
Lakeville north Eden prairie
Elk River Andover
Maple grove east ridge
Pipestone Jackson co central
Faribault Hutchinson
Chaska Mankato west
Cooper armstrong
Mayo Owatonna (Saturday)
Elk River and Andover is a huge one. Andover beat them earlier, but the option works in this state at a high level.

Lakeville seems to have shifted to South for talent. I don't see them touching Eden Prairie.

East Ridge is on a bit of a roll late in the season after opening with losses to Eden Prairie and Stillwater. (9th Grade kicker is younger brother of former Gopher's kicker Grant Ryerse)

Chaska and West are 9-0 each. West almost got beat by East in last game of season. Chaska and West probably wish they were different sections as they are the only undefeated section final match-up.

Maple River and Blooming Prairie should be a good game.

Waseca and Fairmont now back in the same class and section as rivals will play for a trip to state.

Don't need to discuss here but if you could send me a link to something about that I'd be very interested in reading it.
Don’t have a link to the specific districts but I know first hand that Rosemount Apple Valley Eagan AND South Washington county are both currently in a mediation type process with dept of Ed to avoid Court

District football came about because no one wanted to play Eden Prairie when they were good.

I would as well.

It’s always impressive to see a kid starting that young. Regardless of position or school size.
That kid is larger than the biggest O-lineman on our team my senior year and we were a good team at the largest school class that year.

District football came about because no one wanted to play Eden Prairie when they were good.
Yes, but I don't see why it had to apply to all classes. 6A maybe, because that only affects 30 schools, but leave the conferences for everyone else. I hate that they killed off rivalries in football.

No Caledonia this year. Eli King injury must have really hurt them.

I’ll just have to cheer for my Fillmore Central, Lanesboro, Chatfield, and Rushford-Peterson (if they beat FC) teams representing SEMN.

Yes, but I don't see why it had to apply to all classes. 6A maybe, because that only affects 30 schools, but leave the conferences for everyone else. I hate that they killed off rivalries in football.
It's not just a metro issue. Communities in out-state are dying on the vine and the spread of populations is different no than when we were in school. Some communities are getting bigger and some communities are generally getting smaller.

My old conference today would have 4A down to 1A teams in it. That's not viable in football.

Top Bottom