Minnesota Gophers - 2020 NFL Draft

Really good article on Winfield’s rising draft stock.

Last edited:

Didn't watch the combine but based on the writeups here and other places it appears Winfield definitely helped his stock. Will be awesome if he can find his way into a first round draft pick, even better if it would happen to be by the Purple.

Everything is going to be in limbo with TJ a bit until he runs the 40 at his pro day.

Antoine Winfield Jr.: I can play anywhere | 2020 NFL Combine
Full Interview, Feb. 28, 2020
He bleeds purple! Rick Spielman, are you listening?

Looks like the Browns have done their research...Antione???

Didn't watch the combine but based on the writeups here and other places it appears Winfield definitely helped his stock. Will be awesome if he can find his way into a first round draft pick, even better if it would happen to be by the Purple.

Everything is going to be in limbo with TJ a bit until he runs the 40 at his pro day.

I watched it, I thought both AW and Coughlin looked great.

CC:
I was a little worried about Carter because he was working out with the LBers, so I expected him to look clunky dropping into coverage and that kind of stuff. But he definitely moved really well. Other than Isaiah Simmons, who is not human, CC looked like one of the better LBers. One thing that I didn't notice, is that while his production didn't jump off the charts last year, CC had the third highest rate of "pressures per passing attempt" in the country last year.

After Spring Ball, I usually rewatch all of the games from the year before. It's sort of like binging a show you've already watched and I am pretty excited to rewatch CC's last year now that I know that nugget of info.

AW:
I normally don't watch this much of the combine, but I had watched the LBers the day before and the CBs right before the safeties. The progression went LB >>CB >> S. It was striking just how fluid the CBs (it makes perfect sense, it was just striking). They could change directions on a dime. For the most part, most of the safeties kind of moved like the LBers. AW and a couple other of them were the only ones who moved like a CB.

AW moved so well that he is just making that Honey Badger comp even more spot on. He is one of the few guys in this draft (or any draft) who I really believe can play the nickle, free safety, and in the box. That allows you to disguise your defense/blitzes/etc. He is just a versatile, explosive (remember when he was returning punts?), fluid athlete who just so happens to be one of the toughest and smartest guys on the field.

Like when he devastated Fresno State twice, and PSU, it will be a joy watching him in the Pros.

I watched it, I thought both AW and Coughlin looked great.

CC:
I was a little worried about Carter because he was working out with the LBers, so I expected him to look clunky dropping into coverage and that kind of stuff. But he definitely moved really well. Other than Isaiah Simmons, who is not human, CC looked like one of the better LBers. One thing that I didn't notice, is that while his production didn't jump off the charts last year, CC had the third highest rate of "pressures per passing attempt" in the country last year.

After Spring Ball, I usually rewatch all of the games from the year before. It's sort of like binging a show you've already watched and I am pretty excited to rewatch CC's last year now that I know that nugget of info.

AW:
I normally don't watch this much of the combine, but I had watched the LBers the day before and the CBs right before the safeties. The progression went LB >>CB >> S. It was striking just how fluid the CBs (it makes perfect sense, it was just striking). They could change directions on a dime. For the most part, most of the safeties kind of moved like the LBers. AW and a couple other of them were the only ones who moved like a CB.

AW moved so well that he is just making that Honey Badger comp even more spot on. He is one of the few guys in this draft (or any draft) who I really believe can play the nickle, free safety, and in the box. That allows you to disguise your defense/blitzes/etc. He is just a versatile, explosive (remember when he was returning punts?), fluid athlete who just so happens to be one of the toughest and smartest guys on the field.
Agree. Interesting in reading pre-combine info that said he was "not a good athlete, stiff, didn't move that well, and wasn't explosive". I'm like WHAT!?!? Then you see his combine results and you wonder what these draft "experts" are watching. Another good one was TJ not have good leaping ability. Again WHAT!?!? Did you not watch the bowl game or any of his game tape? Dude can jump out of the gym!

Agree. Interesting in reading pre-combine info that said he was "not a good athlete, stiff, didn't move that well, and wasn't explosive". I'm like WHAT!?!? Then you see his combine results and you wonder what these draft "experts" are watching. Another good one was TJ not have good leaping ability. Again WHAT!?!? Did you not watch the bowl game or any of his game tape? Dude can jump out of the gym!

CC is going to be a tough one for the experts to grade because he played out of position in college. At least he was out of position in regards to where he will almost certainly play in the NFL.

Who does the prospect grading? AWJR, CC, and TJ I thought did remarkably well.

Mel Kiper Jr has AWJr going 20th overall to Jags in latest mock...

20. Jacksonville Jaguars (from LAR)
Antoine Winfield Jr., S/CB, Minnesota

Where could Winfield play? How about ... everywhere. He has the versatility to play deep safety, nickel corner, strong safety and even some linebacker. At 5-foot-9, 203 pounds, he's not the biggest guy, but you couldn't tell from his tackling on tape -- he's not afraid to hit a ball carrier. Winfield stayed healthy in 2019 and had seven interceptions. He's a ballhawk, which is something Jacksonville could use after it traded Jalen Ramsey last year. I really like Winfield, and this is a great landing spot for the best defensive back left on my board.

Kiper also said this:
i
24. Antoine Winfield Jr., S, Minnesota
HT: 5-foot-9 | WT: 203 | Previously: NR

Winfield is small, but he is a true ball hawk who had seven interceptions last season. As I mentioned in my Mock Draft 2.0, interceptions can be misleading as a projection tool for prospects, but he also had 88 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles for the Golden Gophers. Apart from his small stature, Winfield also has a checkered injury history, as hamstring and foot injuries prematurely ended his 2017 and 2018 seasons. Still, the talent is too hard to ignore, and he's my new No. 1 safety in this class.

I will admit I didn't EVER think he'd be getting this kind of hype. I love the guy. One of my favorite Gophers. Provided a few INCREDIBLE memories. But good for him. First round picks are good for the program. Also, his dad was the man. All-time great Viking.

Kiper listed his top 10 at each position group.

Kamal Martin #9 for inside LBs
AWjr # 1 safety

No other Gophers listed. I do wonder how he classified Coughlin. Not saying he deserves to be top 10 at a position group but as an edge rusher or whatever NFL teams call guys, I could see him being highly valued by some teams.

Latest Post-Combine Mock Drafts:
Here are the latest seven-round mock drafts.

AWJr and TJ will get drafted in Rounds 1-4. I won't be surprised if AWJr goes late in the 1st Round or very early in the 2nd Round.

Worst case - two Gophers get drafted.
Way too optimistic case - four or five Gophers get drafted.

Share your thoughts.

DraftSide Latest:
Rd 2, Pick 39 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Miami, S
Rd 3, Pick 90 - Tyler Johnson, Cleveland, WR
Rd 7, Pick 231 - Carter Coughlin, Dallas, OLB

WalterFootball:
Rd 2, Pick 36 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Giants, S
Rd 4, Pick 115 - Tyler Johnson, Cleveland, W
Rd 6, Pick 184 - Kamal Martin, Panthers, LB
Rd 6, Pick 215 - Carter Coughlin, Seattle, DE/OLB

Draftek:
Rd 2, Pick 33 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Cincinnatti, S
Rd 3, Pick 98 - Tyler Johnson, New England, WR
Rd 5, Pick 170 - Kamal Martin, Baltimore, ILB
Rd 6, Pick 187 - Carter Coughlin, Cleveland, Edge
Rd 7, Pick 255 - Chris Williamson, Giants, CB

DraftWire:
Rd 1, Pick 27 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Seattle, S
Rd 4, Pick 127 - Tyler Johnson, Philadelphia, WR
Rd 7, Pick 220 - Chris Williamson, Los Angeles, CB
Rd 7, Pick 238 - Rodney Smith, Giants, RB

ProFootballNetwork:
Rd 2, Pick 53, Antoine Winfield Jr, Philadelphia, S
Rd 4, Pick 145, Tyler Johnson, Philadelphia, WR

CBSSPorts:
Rd 2, Pick 42 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Jacksonville, S
Rd 4, Pick 143 - Tyler Johnson, Baltimore, WR
Rd 6, Pick 180 - Carter Coughlin, Cincinnatti, LB

Last edited:

Latest Post-Combine Mock Drafts:
Here are the latest seven-round mock drafts.

AWJr and TJ will get drafted in Rounds 1-4. I won't be surprised if AWJr goes late in the 1st Round or very early in the 2nd Round.

Worst case - two Gophers get drafted.
Way too optimistic case - four or five Gophers get drafted.

DraftSide Latest:
Rd 2, Pick 39 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Miami, S
Rd 3, Pick 90 - Tyler Johnson, Cleveland, WR
Rd 7, Pick 231 - Carter Coughlin, Dallas, OLB

WalterFootball:
Rd 2, Pick 36 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Giants, S
Rd 4, Pick 115 - Tyler Johnson, Cleveland, W
Rd 6, Pick 184 - Kamal Martin, Panthers, LB
Rd 6, Pick 215 - Carter Coughlin, Seattle, DE/OLB

Draftek:

DraftWire:

ProFootballNetwork:
Rd 2, Pick 53, Antoine Winfield Jr, Philadelphia, S
Rd 4, Pick 145, Tyler Johnson, Philadelphia, WR

CBSSPorts:
Rd 2, Pick 42 - Antoine Winfield Jr, Jacksonville, S
Rd 4, Pick 143 - Tyler Johnson, Baltimore, WR
Rd 6, Pick 180 - Carter Coughlin, Cincinnatti, LB

Draftek:

Anyone that doesn't have them going 1st through 5th overall are just dinks!!!

With DraftWire picking Rodney Smith to the Giants, that’s six Gophers in the draft discussion. Does anyone know what the record is for most Gophers drafted in a single year.

With DraftWire picking Rodney Smith to the Giants, that’s six Gophers in the draft discussion. Does anyone know what the record is for most Gophers drafted in a single year.
13 Gopher players were drafted in 1950, including Bud Grant.

Any NFL team should take Rodney Smith with a 7th round pick. Low risk to pick him there.

Any NFL team should take Rodney Smith with a 7th round pick. Low risk to pick him there.
Even lower risk to take him as a UDFA. Love what Rodney did here but I don't think he was as good last year as he was a couple years ago.

13 Gopher players were drafted in 1950, including Bud Grant.
Thank you the info. That was a pretty good class!

This year there are 255 picks in the draft. In 1950, Minnesota had 10 players selected in the first 255 picks, including 3 in the first round of 14 teams.

4. Clayton Tonnemaker, Packers (Pro Bowl (did not play), All-Pro)
11. Leo Nomellini, 49ers (Hall of Fame, Pro Bowl, All-Pro)
14. Bud Grant, Eagles (Hall of Fame, plus CFL Hall of Fame and all-star)
30. Gordy Soltau, Packers (Pro Bowl, All-Pro)
70. Floyd Jaszewski, Lions
96. Ralph McAllister, Lions
121. Bob Mealey, Packers
176. Gene Fritz, Giants
199. Frank Kuzma, Packers
244. Billy Bye, Bears
319. Ken Beiersdorf, Giants
370. Johnny Lundin, Redskins
388. Allen Markert, Bears

Good things happen when a team goes 11-2...

Move the Sticks' Daniel Jeremiah's Top 50 NFL Prospects.

AWJr makes the cut at # 49.

In Chad Reuter's (NFL.com) 7 round mock draft, he's got former Gopher Kiante Hardin going in the 4th round to the Vikings. This is the first I've seen his name listed anywhere near the Draft, let alone being drafted before TJ, Coughlin, or Martin.

DraftWire:

I would be so depressed if Antoine ended up in Seattle.

It sounds like Cleveland wants him too. Seattle head coachPete Carroll likes him.

What will be depressing is the Vikings will have two chances in Round 1 to draft him. They will probably pick Auburn's taller CB Noah Igbinoghene over Antoine Winfield Jr. IMHO, it will become a public relations disaster if AWJr outperforms Noah.

Last edited:

Agree to a certain degree but if you are drafted you are at least guaranteed some NFL money from the team that drafts you. UDFA are on their own going up against all the other guys that go undrafted and are looking for a spot to play. Can cherrypick where you want to try out but no guarantees of any kind.
Not necessarily...top UDFA get signing bonuses too.

The latest 7-Round Mock Drafts 4/22/2020:

CBS Sports, by RJ White:

No. 85 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Detroit
No. 102 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Pittsburgh
No. 182 - LB, Kamal Martin - Detroit
No. 201 - LB, Carter Coughlin - Minnesota

NFL.com, by Chad Reuter:
No. 74 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Cleveland
No. 163 - LB, Carter Coughlin - Chicago
No. 216 - S, Chris Williamson - Washington

DraftSide.com:
No. 25 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Minnesota
No. 84 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Los Angeles
No. 232 - OLB, Carter Coughlin - Pittsburgh

Sports Illustrated, By Logan Lamorandier:
No. 69 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Carolina
No. 107 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Cincinnati
No. 231 - LB, Kamal Martin - Dallas

Bleacher Report, By Matt Miller:
No. 78 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Atlanta
No. 163 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Miami
No. 188 - Edge, Carter Coughlin - Cleveland
No. 245 - LB, Kamal Martin - Cleveland

Walter Football:
No. 36 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - NY Giants
No. 158 - WR, Tyler Johnson - NY Jets
No. 184 - DE/LB, Carter Coughlin - Carolina
No. 216 - LB, Kamal Martin - Washington

Sporting News:
No. 36 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - New York Giants
No. 74 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Cleveland
No. 178 - LB, Kamal Martin - Denver
No. 238 - Edge, Carter Coughlin - NY Giants

Draft Wire:
No. 45 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Tampa Bay
No. 152 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Carolina

Pro Football Network:
No. 37 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Miami
No. 139 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Tampa Bay

Even lower risk to take him as a UDFA. Love what Rodney did here but I don't think he was as good last year as he was a couple years ago.

Will be interesting to see if a team drafts him late. A RB who has already had a couple major knee injuries is a pretty massive risk for the NFL so I would bet he has to go the UDFA route but you never know.

The latest 7-Round Mock Drafts 4/22/2020:

CBS Sports, by RJ White:

No. 85 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Detroit
No. 102 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Pittsburgh
No. 182 - LB, Kamal Martin - Detroit
No. 201 - LB, Carter Coughlin - Minnesota

NFL.com, by Chad Reuter:
No. 74 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Cleveland
No. 163 - LB, Carter Coughlin - Chicago
No. 216 - S, Chris Williamson - Washington

DraftSide.com:
No. 25 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Minnesota
No. 84 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Los Angeles
No. 232 - OLB, Carter Coughlin - Pittsburgh

Sports Illustrated, By Logan Lamorandier:
No. 69 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Carolina
No. 107 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Cincinnati
No. 231 - LB, Kamal Martin - Dallas

Bleacher Report, By Matt Miller:
No. 78 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Atlanta
No. 163 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Miami
No. 188 - Edge, Carter Coughlin - Cleveland
No. 245 - LB, Kamal Martin - Cleveland

Walter Football:
No. 36 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - NY Giants
No. 158 - WR, Tyler Johnson - NY Jets
No. 184 - DE/LB, Carter Coughlin - Carolina
No. 216 - LB, Kamal Martin - Washington

Sporting News:
No. 36 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - New York Giants
No. 74 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Cleveland
No. 178 - LB, Kamal Martin - Denver
No. 238 - Edge, Carter Coughlin - NY Giants

Draft Wire:
No. 45 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Tampa Bay
No. 152 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Carolina

Pro Football Network:
No. 37 - S, Antoine Winfield, Jr - Miami
No. 139 - WR, Tyler Johnson - Tampa Bay

Looks like the majority of those have Winfield going in the 2nd round. Will be interesting to see if his name gets called tonight or if we have to wait till tomorrow for the first Gopher to come off the board.

Hopefully, five or six Gophers catch on with teams as drafted or undrafted.

Top Bottom