Minnesota Gophers - 2020 NFL Draft

Williamson and Coughlin together...cool. 5 guys drafted. That's awesome! We haven't had 5 guys drafted in the first 7 rounds since 1944 (6) which ties how many we had when a young guy named Bud Grant was drafted in 1950 (5). Getting back to how we were in the glory years. Woohoo!

Last edited:

First time they've spent a draft pick on a QB since 2014.
And Vikings fans wonder why the organization perpetually has questions at QB.
Do you not remember what happens when they try to draft QBs? I'm all for the "best free agent available" option.

Cool that Carter and Williamson will be together as Johnson and Winfield will be together for moral support etc. Martin will have to suck it up in Green Bay! However I'm with him from afar.

A total of 46 players from the Big Ten were drafted. Twenty-eight from the B1G Easr and eighteen from the B1G West:

Big Ten East:
OSU - 10
MI - 10
PSU - 5
MSU - 2
MD - 2
IND - 1
RUT - 0

Big Ten West:
MN - 5

IA - 5
WI - 4
PU - 2
NE -2
NW - 0
IL - 0

Click on the CBS Draft Tracker and search by schools to get the draft details. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/draft-tracker/

Seven Gophers hoping to stick with a team. Uffda!

There are probably a thousand different ways to poke fun at Tom Brady and his age, but this is a pretty good one.

In the middle of the second round Friday night, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selected safety Antoine Winfield Jr. from the University of Minnesota. If that name rings a bell, it’s because Antoine Winfield Sr. played 14 seasons in the NFL.

Winfield Sr. once intercepted Brady. Now, his son will be playing with Brady.

On Nov. 11, 2001, Winfield picked off Brady in a 21-11 Buffalo Bills loss to the New England Patriots. Rob Johnson was the quarterback in that game for the Bills and Travis Henry was their leading rusher. Brady had just taken over as the Patriots’ starter. He didn’t even have a ring yet.

Winfield Jr. turned 3 years old in August 2001, just three months before his dad intercepted the future Patriots legend. Winfield Sr. ended up playing 10 games against Brady. Brady, who will turn 43 in August, signed with the Buccaneers last month.

Winfield Jr. is a versatile player who will help the Buccaneers right away. Brady might recognize the name, too.

This doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with the Gophers, but I think it’s interesting that tiny, DIII school St. John’s, in Collegeville, MN, had more players drafted into the NFL than Rutgers, Northwestern, and Illinois combined.

Ben Bartch was drafted by Jacksonville in the fourth round.

A total of 46 players from the Big Ten were drafted. Twenty-eight from the B1G Easr and eighteen from the B1G West:

Big Ten East:
OSU - 10
MI - 10
PSU - 5
MSU - 2
MD - 2
IND - 1
RUT - 0

Big Ten West:
MN - 5

IA - 5
WI - 4
PU - 2
NE -2
NW - 0
IL - 0

Click on the CBS Draft Tracker and search by schools to get the draft details. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/draft-tracker/

It's almost like there's a correlation to number of players drafted and wins.

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on Thomas Barber signing anywhere. That kid started like 40 straight games...tough as nails

I'm surprised we haven't heard anything on Thomas Barber signing anywhere. That kid started like 40 straight games...tough as nails

He will definitely get into camp with someone. Unfortunately he may not have the speed needed for today's NFL LB

Eleven wins is an attention getter for NFL draftniks.

Gopher football is gradually becoming a brand, after decades of irrelevance on the national scene, and I think we all know why. We could be the next Oregon, as long as PJ sticks around for a while. A year ago, I wouldn’t have made such a bold statement.

Recently a pair of Nobel winners in economics published their findings of how non predictable the draft day results were in showing who was actually playing about three years later.
Despite all of the intense time and effort, with jobs on the line, the coaches and staff put in to "objectively" rate players they fail in the majority of the times.
That in itself is predictable for there are too many variables that cannot be quantified and thus chaos.
The ratings of high school kids by 247 and their ilk is even far less predictable for even more reasons.

Top Bottom