Minnesota Gophers - 2020 NFL Draft

I wasn't speaking to him being or not being an NFL calibre player, merely that he will have his Masters in Accounting in the spring and may want to get going in his (academic) field

Why would he want to do that? He'll be in an NFL camp. I am not sure if he makes the team or not, but he has his whole life to be an accountant.

Why would he want to do that? He'll be in an NFL camp. I am not sure if he makes the team or not, but he has his whole life to be an accountant.
He could go Chris Borland on the bit -- or merely want to stop playing football for a myriad of reasons. I am just speculating.

Anyone know how Chris Williamson and Tyler Johnson did in the Shrine game? I see one tackle for Chris Williamson and no stats for Tyler Johnson.

I wasn't speaking to him being or not being an NFL calibre player, merely that he will have his Masters in Accounting in the spring and may want to get going in his (academic) field
No disagreements just thought Renner may be given a shot once teams work him out based on his size and relative quickness.

Anyone know how Chris Williamson and Tyler Johnson did in the Shrine game? I see one tackle for Chris Williamson and no stats for Tyler Johnson.
Tyler Johnson decided not to attend to train for the draft.
Chris Williamson it sounded like had a very solid week of practice. They had some Twitter videos showing him lock down a few WR's in one on ones.

Take this for what you want, but this guy is one of the better WR evaluators at least that I have seen and seems to be well respected on Twitter. Also said in his next tweet : "Rashod Bateman's got the goods".

1580392996100.png

40-yard dash times (hand-timed or electronically-timed) can often be misleading, but I think it will be key for Johnson in determining when he'll be drafted. He clearly has the wide receiver skills to contribute mightily at the next level, but the vertical route "sluggishness" that Kelly cites seems to be a concern about overall athleticism.

I totally agree. I think he will be a steal in whatever round he goes. I think the combine (and 40 specifically) will be very important for him.

I could see someone possibly take Williamson in the late rounds as a nickel corner since he played a lot of that for the Gophers.

He should be. Other than injury (which is the same for every player), I can't imagine a scenario where he isn't a starting caliber DB.
Yeah, like it or not the durability/injury tag will be there with him. I think his performance last year over comes it, but hard for some teams to completely look past 2017 & 2018.

Yeah, like it or not the durability/injury tag will be there with him. I think his performance last year over comes it, but hard for some teams to completely look past 2017 & 2018.

I think it’s easier to explain a hamstring pull and freak foot injury than it would be if he had been constantly in and out of the lineup.

These sorts of threads, IMHO, just add to the destructive narrative that college football is just a minor league feeder system for pro football. If the guys want to play pro football that is fine. Money is good. But the fans seeing it as a feeder system is demeaning and low balling the experience and value of staying here and living in the "now" while the guys can. Just Row the Boat.

These sorts of threads, IMHO, just add to the destructive narrative that college football is just a minor league feeder system for pro football. If the guys want to play pro football that is fine. Money is good. But the fans seeing it as a feeder system is demeaning and low balling the experience and value of staying here and living in the "now" while the guys can. Just Row the Boat.

I'm sorry but what? Maybe I need to reread the thread but I'm not seeing any feeder talk. Heck there's some comments about a guy going into accounting and not the NFL

Everyone exhausted all of their eligibility for the Gophers with the exception of Winfield who was here for 4 years.

Are we not allowed to talk about players after they leave and hope they have great professional careers while representing the U proudly?

I'm sorry but what? Maybe I need to reread the thread but I'm not seeing any feeder talk. Heck there's some comments about a guy going into accounting and not the NFL

Everyone exhausted all of their eligibility for the Gophers with the exception of Winfield who was here for 4 years.

Are we not allowed to talk about players after they leave and hope they have great professional careers while representing the U proudly?

Didn't say that. My comment is from my long, long association with the college game. More and more, year by year, the game is being and has been, more and more changed into a pure feeder system to the NFL. Good articles have been written over the last few years where increasingly the young guys are seeing the college game as not an end to itself but as a doorway to what they really want in life which is an NFL career and that many of these guys have no Plan B for what to do if Plan A is a bust. We are so lucky to have a coach who understands the reality that the vast majority of our players will not earn an NFL career and that even if they do they still will have a long life after that career.

My comment was not any sort of request to limit any topic whatsoever. But rather a statement of regret that the NFL illusion has gained so much ascendency over the now more old fashioned view of getting a good education for free. My biggest heroes on the team are the guys like Winston DeLattiboudere and others who get that. But please, post what you want or think.

Ah...finally found the “ignore” button. Enough is enough.

All of the players want to play in the NFL. For the players that are good enough, it is a feeder system to the NFL.

Winfield is a Gopher. He came here and led us to one of the best years in Gopher football history. Every Gopher fan should be cheering for him as he goes on to the next level. That's what makes college football fun, following former Gophers, whether it's in the NFL or coaching football at North or whatever is part of the fun.

In general, that is one of the special things about college, it's the bridge between being a kid and going out and accomplishing your goals. One of "ours" is accomplishing that goal.

EDIT - FFS, I didn't see who I was responding to. This has gotta be a bit now, ignore.

Now, "all the players want to play......." Back in the 1950's many excellent college players did not. Now, what 99 out of 100 (?) D 1 players will never get a NFL pension. I'm glad our coach is the kind that stresses that reality to the players. Have your dreams but prepare for the real world after football.

Now, "all the players want to play......." Back in the 1950's many excellent college players did not. Now, what 99 out of 100 (?) D 1 players will never get a NFL pension. I'm glad our coach is the kind that stresses that reality to the players. Have your dreams but prepare for the real world after football.

Who cares what players in the 50's did? The NFL didn't pay much back then.
Things are different now, and yes, college football IS the feeder system for the NFL.

Major college football is big time, big money entertainment, and the best get to go on to the next level. That's how it works.

This is how I see Winfield being used to his full potential.

Didn't say that. My comment is from my long, long association with the college game. More and more, year by year, the game is being and has been, more and more changed into a pure feeder system to the NFL. Good articles have been written over the last few years where increasingly the young guys are seeing the college game as not an end to itself but as a doorway to what they really want in life which is an NFL career and that many of these guys have no Plan B for what to do if Plan A is a bust. We are so lucky to have a coach who understands the reality that the vast majority of our players will not earn an NFL career and that even if they do they still will have a long life after that career.

My comment was not any sort of request to limit any topic whatsoever. But rather a statement of regret that the NFL illusion has gained so much ascendency over the now more old fashioned view of getting a good education for free. My biggest heroes on the team are the guys like Winston DeLattiboudere and others who get that. But please, post what you want or think.
Good grief. Where else would NFL players come from? Wow.

Good grief. Where else would NFL players come from? Wow.

Exactly. But, I am hoping that the players and coaches continue to see the reality that each young man who plays for us has a 100% chance of spending the vast majority of his life as a non NFL player and will do best in that real life with an excellent education that provides him with a real income. All praise to Coach Fleck in this regard. And some minor booing to the fans who don't realize or forget that reality.

Drafttek.com has 5 Gophers in Pre-Combine Mock Draft:

Round 2 - Antoine Winfield, Jr., #43 - Bears
Round 3 - Tyler Johnson, #75 - Colts
Round 5 - Kamal Martin, #170 - Ravens
Round 7 - Chris Williamson, #236 - Titans
Round 7 - Carter Coughlin, #250 - Dolphins

Last edited:

DraftSite.com - 3 Gophers in Pre-Combine Mock Draft

Round 3 - Tyler Johnson, #77 - Broncos
Round 3 - Antoine WInfield, Jr., #93 - Eagles
Round 7 - Carter Coughlin, #231 - Patriots

NFL Scouting Combine 2020 schedule: Arrivals, workouts, drills, TV, press conferences, more
By Levi Damien, RaidersWire/USAToday, Feb. 21 2020

The first groups of NFL prospects start reporting to Indianapolis for the scouting combine Sunday, starting with tight ends, quarterbacks, and wide receivers. Each day another group of players arrive and start the process while the group that arrived the previous day will move onto the next phase. The week’s schedule for all prospects will go like this:

• Day 1: Arrival, registration, orientation, interviews.
  • Day 2: Measurements/weigh-in, Pre-exam and X-rays, interviews
  • Day 3: Media, medical exams, position coach interview, psychological testing
  • Day 4: NFLPA meeting, bench press, interviews, psychological testing
  • Day 5: Limited testing, interviews, on-field workout,
  • Day 6: Departure
Tuesday begins head coach and GM press conferences with Mike Mayock speaking at 8:15 a.m. P.T. (11:15 E.T.). You can see the entire press conference schedule here.

The first day we see any players take the field for workouts is Thursday, February 27 and there will be four days of workouts lasting until Sunday, March 1.

On-field drills include the 40-yard dash, vertical jump, broad jump, 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle, and 60-yard shuttle along with position-specific drills. There are some new positions drills this year, which you can see here.

All times below are Pacific

NFL Scouting Combine schedule
Sunday, February 23
Group 1-3 (TE, QB, WR) arrival, check-in
Monday, February 24
Group 4-6 (PK, ST, OL, RB) arrival, check-in
Tuesday, February 25
Group 7-9 arrival (DL, LB) arrival, check-in
5am – 8am: Group 1-3 (QB, WR, TE) media interviews
8am – 1pm – HC, GM press conferences (Mike Mayock 8:15am)
Wednesday, February 26
Group 10-11 (DB) arrival, check-in
5 a.m. – 8 a.m. Group 4-6 (PK, ST, OL) media interviews
8:45am – 11am HC, GM press conferences
11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Bench press (QB, WR, TE)
Thursday, February 27
5 a.m. – 8 a.m. Group 7-9 (DL, LB) media interviews
11:30 a.m. – 3 p.m. Bench press (RB, OL, ST)
1 p.m. – 8 p.m. QB, WR, TE on-field workouts – LIVE, NFL Network (3-hour recap at 9 p.m.)
Friday, February 28
5am – 7am Group 10-11 (DB) media interviews
11:30am – 3:00pm Bench press (DL, LB)
1 p.m. – 8 p.m. RB, OL, ST on-field workouts– LIVE, NFL Network (3-hour recap at 9 p.m.)
Saturday, February 29
Noon – 3:00pm Bench press (DB)
1 p.m. – 8 p.m. DL, LB on-field workouts – LIVE, NFL Network (3-hour recap at 9 p.m.)
Sunday, March 1
11 a.m. – 4 p.m. DB on-field workouts.– LIVE, NFL Network (3-hour recap at 5 p.m.).

FULL Combine Preview: Every QB, WR & RB to Watch

Top Bottom