Minnesota contacted Bohl on Saturday?

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Yes, serious. I was one of the VERY FEW gopherholers who knew Brew would be an utter disaster while everyone else was applauding his
hire as the great recruiter that'll change everything, yet... we've never been as good as we were under Mase, and how many years before him
before you find success like his? He couldn't recruit, because he had a sh*t hole to recruit to, he didn't have a defense, because the U wouldn't
pay for coordinators. Whenever he had a good one, they followed the money right out of town. Think wisely.

Come on boys, we know this is a bunch of BS. All you have to realize is Teague will want to put his stamp on the coaching hire. That isn't some Division II coach from backwater North Dakota. It will be someone with a name that knows how to recruit. Although I'm pretty darn sure that won't be Lane Kiffin. And I don't think Teague is anywhere near contacting anyone (Kill most likely has this and next year before anything). That said, feelers go out to agents, not coaches. That's how we found Tubby was interested. I would be extremely surprised if Bohl even got an interview.

NDSU isn't Division 2. They're FCS. And they're ranked 37th in the Sagarin Ratings among all D1 programs.

I find it very hard to believe that the U would contact Bohl or anyone else this early in the season. That said, I don't at all find it hard to believe that the U would be interested in Bohl for the job if Kill can't continue. I actually think that there's a good chance Bohl wouldn't take this job either - there may well be other higher profile programs that would be interested in his services. The obvious, as has been mentioned, would be Nebraska. I think Pellini's days are numbered.

Mason? No way. I don't think he'd even consider the job. He has a sweet gig right now with the BTN.

Yes, serious. I was one of the VERY FEW gopherholers who knew Brew would be an utter disaster while everyone else was applauding his
hire
as the great recruiter that'll change everything, yet... we've never been as good as we were under Mase, and how many years before him
before you find success like his? He couldn't recruit, because he had a sh*t hole to recruit to,( and by his own admission could have worked much harder at it) he didn't have a defense, because the U wouldn't
pay for coordinators. Whenever he had a good one, they followed the money right out of town. Think wisely.

Yes by gosh only you and Reusse knew that Brewster would be a horrible coach and never win a game in either the Non-Conference or the Big Ten! Yep, every other Gopher Fan in the state and EVERYONE here on Gopher Hole were absolutely convinced that Brewster would go undefeated and win 2-3 National Championships and 3 or 4 Rose Bowls in is first 6-7 years.

Of course the board and the public was full of Masonites who were completely forgiving of his faux paus and absoulutely livid at his firing. They kept saying it for years. Oh, and the board was also choke-full of people who let out a collective "WHO? when they heard his name, but yeah, a big chunk of them were just tired of Mason.

Hey, IF you were certain he'd fail good for you, but since nearly everything else you typed is bullsaht forgive us if we think that is too.

he didn't have a defense, because the U wouldn't

Huh? He had four defensive coordinators. The only one that left due to money was David Gibbs, but Ill contend he left because he wanted NFL experience. Moe Ankney followed him and didn't leave because of money. Greg Hudson? Did East Carolina offer him more than Minnesota? David Lockwood left when Mason got fired.

I don't know or don't care if what was posted us true or not. I hope Kill is here a long time. I remember hearing a commentator during the Pitino hire saying any AD worth his salt should always have a list of 4-5 replacement coaches that they are familiar with at any given time. Who knows maybe privately Kill and Teague have already discussed his future. Like I said I hope I'm wrong and things turn around for Jerry.

Yes please. I'd rather have a great coach here than a mediocre one who people only back because he has epilepsy.

Bohl is so content with NDSU. It would take a huge amount of money to get him, and a lot of promises to him, which would have to be included in his contract.

NDSU fans also hate Minnesota, and they love Bohl, he would be risking not just losing perennial championships, but the love of the best fans in FCS...which he loves. Their is no wheels to this story that has been made up, but would be sweet if there was.

I currently live in NoDak, and it is very clear to everyone that lives here, that Bohl loves the living situation in Fargo. I just don't see him ever leaving. He has so much going for him right now...loves the area, has a perennial championship team, and is a God in NoDak.

NDSU isn't Division 2. They're FCS. And they're ranked 37th in the Sagarin Ratings among all D1 programs.

I find it very hard to believe that the U would contact Bohl or anyone else this early in the season. That said, I don't at all find it hard to believe that the U would be interested in Bohl for the job if Kill can't continue. I actually think that there's a good chance Bohl wouldn't take this job either - there may well be other higher profile programs that would be interested in his services. The obvious, as has been mentioned, would be Nebraska. I think Pellini's days are numbered.

Mason? No way. I don't think he'd even consider the job. He has a sweet gig right now with the BTN.

I know they are FCS. I just like to put the hook out sometimes...

Bohl couldn't recruit where they have academic standards.

Bohl is so content with NDSU. It would take a huge amount of money to get him, and a lot of promises to him, which would have to be included in his contract.

NDSU fans also hate Minnesota, and they love Bohl, he would be risking not just losing perennial championships, but the love of the best fans in FCS...which he loves. Their is no wheels to this story that has been made up, but would be sweet if there was.

I currently live in NoDak, and it is very clear to everyone that lives here, that Bohl loves the living situation in Fargo. I just don't see him ever leaving. He has so much going for him right now...loves the area, has a perennial championship team, and is a God in NoDak.

This made me laugh.

Yes by gosh only you and Reusse knew that Brewster would be a horrible coach and never win a game in either the Non-Conference or the Big Ten! Yep, every other Gopher Fan in the state and EVERYONE here on Gopher Hole were absolutely convinced that Brewster would go undefeated and win 2-3 National Championships and 3 or 4 Rose Bowls in is first 6-7 years.

Of course the board and the public was full of Masonites who were completely forgiving of his faux paus and absoulutely livid at his firing. They kept saying it for years. Oh, and the board was also choke-full of people who let out a collective "WHO? when they heard his name, but yeah, a big chunk of them were just tired of Mason.

Hey, IF you were certain he'd fail good for you, but since nearly everything else you typed is bullsaht forgive us if we think that is too.

By the way, who is watering Brew's Rose Bowl grass?

Bohl is living the dream right now. All coaches have healthy egos and maybe Bohl has a drive to see if he can win at the next level up, but he's got a pretty sweet deal up that way right now. He's the big game in town and has a program that is going to run itself while he's still there. There'd be a few more headaches he'd have to put up with at the FBS level which he could likely handle, but why? Unless someone walked in and tossed him a million bucks base salary, I don't know why he'd be inclined to move exceptto prove to the world that he's more than a successful FCS coach.

It seems you just came up with two pretty good reasons yourself.

A good friend who is closely connected to an NDSU booster told me today that the booster (a major financial contributor) says Bohl took a call from the U of M on Saturday. Bohl told the booster about the call but said that he is only thinking about the next Bison game - in other words, he didn't say he isn't interested. The booster is very anxious.

This came to me from a proud Bison fan who has never needled me about the Gophers.

For what it's worth, and that may be worth nothing. As I've made clear before, I support coach Kill, and I don't want him to leave.

Seems crazy to me that "The U" would contact him on a game day for both teams.

Athletic directors should always do contingency planning, and have a short list.

They should be doing some contingency planning. To not do so would be naïve

That said, loose lips sink ships and if Bohl is interested in getting out of NDSU he should keep those conversations private and so should any U administrator or booster who is an intermdiary if they need to make future plans.
Maturi and Mona could have done a better job of covering there paths the last time.
Not much leaked out from Norwood on the basketball search so I would not be to concerend if he had to do so in football.

Based on the previous article posted by 3399 (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/87648/) even if he got Kill's salary that would be about a 5X increase in pay. And frankly, I doubt that they would only pay him that. He'd probably get double what Kill is currently paid (according to sources at $1 million/year) before endorsements, etc. which are probably also 5-10X what he gets from endorsements, etc. now. Yes, it's only guaranteed for 5 years vs. probably could coach for life in Fargo, but he could potentially make more money in those 5 years than in the rest of his life at Fargo. Then he could go somewhere else if things don't work out (maybe even back to Fargo).

If Kill decided he could not continue, bringing in a Bohl or Jeff Horton or Glen Mason to work with the existing staff makes some sense. But how many years do they get with the staff to continue turning it around? Do they get their own 5-7 years? Do they just get a couple more? And with some of the other questions around the performance this year, perhaps they would choose to start over.

Based on the previous article posted by 3399 (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/87648/) even if he got Kill's salary that would be about a 5X increase in pay. And frankly, I doubt that they would only pay him that. He'd probably get double what Kill is currently paid (according to sources at $1 million/year) before endorsements, etc. which are probably also 5-10X what he gets from endorsements, etc. now.

Kill's guaranteed comp started at $1.2MM a few years ago, subject to annual merit increases. The $1.2MM excludes incentives (i.e., $25k for a nondescript bowl game, $75k for APR > 960, $100k for graduation rate > avg undergrad student body, etc.).

I decided to follow up on this story with my good friend who works at ESPN. My friend hasn't lead me astray as I predicted the Pitino hire and Mcdonald being off the team. I can say for certainty that Bohl is staying in ND...The only way he would leave is for a high level position which includes USC if they come calling.

It's all about the $- who doesn't take a job with 5x pay, especially if its a job you love doing?
(which isn't about Bohl, but more about all the idiots that think "nobody would want this job")

I would think if Jerry Kill is helping with contingency plans one of the guys who has been with him for 20 years would be his recommendation.

I would think if Jerry Kill is helping with contingency plans one of the guys who has been with him for 20 years would be his recommendation.

I doubt we'd hand the head coaching position To an assistant if there was going to be a change. If there's going to be a change it will be a head coach with a recognizable name or a hotshot head coach from a non BCS school, FCS included or a coordinator from a big time program with some buzz around his name.

I doubt we'd hand the head coaching position To an assistant if there was going to be a change. If there's going to be a change it will be a head coach with a recognizable name or a hotshot head coach from a non BCS school, FCS included or a coordinator from a big time program with some buzz around his name.

Last time that happened, it was Gutey (another awesomely great human being) who got the job on Holtz' recommendation and Hitchock's (and the team's) insistence. I really liked Gutekunst, but I think the way things unfolded was the only way he would have gotten that job. I wonder if Bobby Ross would have taken the job had the meeting with the players went better.

My point on Bohl is that he's really in the catbird's seat. Sure, he gets a raise to come to Minnesota if he ends up here, but then he's no longer a demi-god and is just a guy. He's got a really sweet deal right now and he's doing really well with it. I'm just guessing it would take a ton of money to get him here.

Hey, Frank Solich is only 69. I say if Kill can't continue, let's go that route. It would make another one of Sid's predictions come true! I think Sid had Solich taking the Gopher job about three different times.

If he cares about being a "demi-God" wouldnt he rather be one in an area of 4 million people versus an area of 250k? While making 4 times the salary for you and all of your assistants?

Bohl could put me over the edge. Living among delusional bison fans is bad enough now.

And that's like winning the, "tallest dwarf in the room" contest.

Top Bottom