MIKE MAX: TREVOR GETS 6th YEAR!!!!!!!!!! UPDATED: Officially Confirmed by the U!!

@WCCORosen: To clarify the Mbwake story, multiple sources tell WCCO that he has been granted a medical redshirt for next season

Go Gophers!!
Well first problem is it's not a medical redshirt...

FWIW, Al Nolen just posted a Facebook post congratulating Trevor on his 6th year. Can't read too much into it, I guess, but I trust Al as much as Mike Max.

I'm just happy I posted the link was back up before Bleed. Its the little things...:)

It comes as big news for a team that lacked the dominating type of player the Gophers had inside once Mbakwe went down. Ralph Sampson III is graduating, and the other post players coming back are Elliott Eliason, Andre Ingram and Maurice Walker, who redshirted this season after going through off-season knee surgery.

There’s no guarantee that Mbakwe will take the extra year, but he at least has the option now. Between injuries and previous legal issues that are now resolved, he’s had a roller-coaster basketball career.

The current Gophers team is still focused on this season as they will travel to Madison Square Garden and take on Washington in the NIT semifinals next Tuesday night.

The University of Minnesota will make the announcement on Friday.

I don't have inside info on anything really, but I know one of his HS basketball coaches (Ed Cassidy). I am not sure how plugged in he is to the Mbakwe situation, but according to him, he really wanted that 6th year. I don't think someone really wants something, gets it, then turns it down. I am a Gopher fan, so I am certainly bracing for the worst possible situation, but I'd have to think that if Mbakwe was granted a 6th year, he'd be back.

(My only hope is that he didn't think there was no chance and then let his grades go down the toilet).

I remember someone posted a tweet from Trevor about him wanting to come back and something about making sure the Gophers get in the NCAA tourney whether he can play or not.

If it somehow happens, Sweet 16 or better. That's a good team.

I'm not convinced that we need Trent...
starters:
Dre
Austin
Joe or EE
Rodney
Trevor

with Welch subbing at the 1 or 2, Chip at 2 and 3, EE at the 5, and Oto subbing as needed at 3 and 4 along with Ingram as-needed.

The 3 freshman on the floor together have been awfully fun to watch with their energy and enthusiasm. I don't want to break that up too much, but you know Rodney and Trevor will also bring "it".

One problem with the roster: where would Wally and Buggs fit in? Both redshirt? There's really not much room. I've even forgotten about Mo Walker - where's he going to find playing time? Tubby's got too much talent without Trent. It'll be hard to find playing time for everyone if both Trevor and Trent end up playing.

I'm just happy I posted the link was back up before Bleed. Its the little things...:)

My wife keeps bugging me about something called Hunger Games and its taking me off my linking game. :p

Go Gophers!!

Multiple sources told WCCO-TV’s Mike Max Thursday night that University of Minnesota star forward Trevor Mbakwe has been granted a sixth year of eligibility by the NCAA.
NOW its multiple sources.

starters:
Dre
Austin
Joe or EE
Rodney
Trevor

with Welch subbing at the 1 or 2, Chip at 2 and 3, EE at the 5, and Oto subbing as needed at 3 and 4 along with Ingram as-needed.

The 3 freshman on the floor together have been awfully fun to watch with their energy and enthusiasm. I don't want to break that up too much, but you know Rodney and Trevor will also bring "it".

One problem with the roster: where would Wally and Buggs fit in? Both redshirt? There's really not much room. I've even forgotten about Mo Walker - where's he going to find playing time? Tubby's got too much talent without Trent. It'll be hard to find playing time for everyone if both Trevor and Trent end up playing.
They won't need to play unless they come in and set the world on fire.
My wife keeps bugging me about something called Hunger Games and its taking me off my linking game. :p

Go Gophers!!
You should go to that movie, and tell me if it's worth going to tomorrow.

(My only hope is that he didn't think there was no chance and then let his grades go down the toilet).

He already graduated so his flexibility on what he's taking now and what he takes the Fall semester is pretty open.

Go Gophers!!

starters:
Dre
Austin
Joe or EE
Rodney
Trevor

Assuming that Trevor comes back, I really hope that Tubby isn't inclined to keep playing 10 people. In my opinion, Mav shouldn't play barring an injury or foul problems. Our team should play 8 guys quite a bit...
Trevor
Rodney
Hollins
Coleman
Dre
------
Welch
EE
Chip/Mo - Depending on the other team

He already graduated so his flexibility on what he's taking now and what he takes the Fall semester is pretty open.

Go Gophers!!

Ahhh good call. I didn't think about that. Well, I hope he dominates volleyball, bowling and home economics.

If Mbakwe comes back, Buggs should be a lock to redshirt. And that's a great thing.

Go Gophers!!

We're in conspiracy here, Bleed. Sir M would like another beer, but in light of breaking news it will have to wait! :D

Assuming that Trevor comes back, I really hope that Tubby isn't inclined to keep playing 10 people. In my opinion, Mav shouldn't play barring an injury or foul problems. Our team should play 8 guys quite a bit...
Trevor
Rodney
Hollins
Coleman
Dre
------
Welch
EE
Chip/Mo - Depending on the other team

mav won't be on the team

If Mav isn't, a 2013 PG recruit is essential. I can't think Tubby goes that thin into 2013 with Welch graduating.

Ok Bob, this is the situation where your dislike for cutting a player comes into play. For Trevor to come back, we need to cut a player (or convince a player to transfer). Are you okay with that?

1st line

dre
austin
trent
rodney
trevor

2nd line (only used in non conference season)
welch
chip
coleman
oto
mo

redshirt
ee edit - already redshirted - trying to look too far ahead while not looking back - make him the 1st B1G off the bench
wally
bugs

mav > winona st
ingram > St thomas

Go Gophers!!

You should post that on the STrib site, where some yahoo - the first commenter - questioned Mbakwe's ability to graduate. Isn't Trevor taking graduate courses?

1st line

dre
austin
trent
rodney
trevor

welch
chip
coleman
oto
mo

redshirt
ee
wally
bugs

mav > winona st
ingram > St thomas
EE has already redshirted....

rrjackIII said:
1st line

dre
austin
trent
rodney
trevor

welch
chip
coleman
oto
mo

redshirt
ee
wally
bugs

mav > winona st
ingram > St thomas

You want Eliason to redshirt again?

Also, why would Mav go to Winona State? May as well go back home.

redshirt
ee
wally
bugs

Lol you'd try to give EE a second redshirt, especially after how well he has played all year defensively and on the boards? Silly in many ways.

Tweet from Spencer:

"@TMbakwe32 will be big ten player of the year. With Rod and Dre Hollins, they will compete for a big ten title. #Tubbysluckischanging"

Go Gophers!!

If this is true what a great ten minutes or so, the beast getting his 6th year and becky going down. If everything works out can we pleassssssssssssssssssssssssssssse get some big time non-conference games. I know our tournament is stacked, but would love to see us get 2 maybe 3 big time non-conference games. One on the road and two at home preferably. Wow it is a little fun to get ahead of myself.

1st line

dre
austin
trent
rodney
trevor

welch
chip
coleman
oto
mo

redshirt
ee
wally
bugs

mav > winona st
ingram > St thomas

EE has a redshirt already...