Maxx Williams - How Good is He?

Maxx needs to stay healthy.

He could be as could as Spaeth (who was better than Utecht).

Spaeth is an all time Gopher great. If he weren't in pads, he would've been put in jail for the abuse he inflicted.

Spaeth was a one-man wrecking crew with unbelievable hands.

He flat out abused people.

Maxx can play in the NFL if he wants. I would encourage him to get more flexible (literally) and work on his speed. He doesn't need to add any more weight.

Spaeth was a better TE (although MW has 3 more years to improve). Spaeth's size (which Williams lacks) made him a great blocker on the line and led to a very good pro career. Won at least one Super Bowl if I'm not mistaken...

Who knows if he sees his junior year?

I've thought this as well. If he continues to improve, he may be preparing for the draft in 10 months.

People are concerned about how deep we are at TE, but Goodger is gone after this year and Maxx could be too.

Max isn't going pro after this year. We can all put that one to bed. Is he great - yes. Could he get drafted and play in the NFL - yes. Will that happen in 2015 - NO.

I've thought this as well. If he continues to improve, he may be preparing for the draft in 10 months.

People are concerned about how deep we are at TE, but Goodger is gone after this year and Maxx could be too.

Are you kidding? It is time for the young man to impress his own coaches enough to make sure that they use him correctly and that they insure that he will be utilized enough to play up to his potential. He needs to score enough touchdowns and keep enough drives alive and moving to REALLY make a difference. Just because he looks good in the uniform doesn't put him in the class with Utecth and Spaeth. And, Aaron Brown was perhaps the toughest of the Golden Gophers I ever saw catch the ball, AND play GREAT defensive end. He could have played any other number of positions on offense or defense. How good could Maxx look on the defensive side of the ball the way Aaron Brown did? Aaron Brown may be the Golden Gopher end I respected the most...! In my mind Aaron Brown is an ALL-TIME Golden Gopher right along with Bobby Bell, Tom Brown, Sandy Stephens, Paul Giel and a hand-full of others.

It was rather disappointing the way the coaches utilized Maxx Williams, or should I say under utilized him last season. The kid's got potential. Get some more wins. And: beat the stinking badgers by utilizing this young man's potential with your play calling and play execution coach Limegrover. And finally: stay healthy out there Maxx! GREAT Gopher Football Players and GREAT Gopher Football Coaches played on teams and coached teams that WON Border Battle games against the badgers and the hawkeyes. THAT is essential!

Maxx would have to have a huge season, like 60+ receptions and 1,000+ yards to even think about going pro after this year.

Did you really think it was ok to come on GH and ask us all to leave here for a different site?

Quite frankly, I'd agree. What a shameless plug for some other site.

This is GOPHERHOLE. I won't be checking out some other site any time soon just to read some random comment by some poster on that site I have never heard of... This norsk poster should show a little respect for the HOLE!

Maxx needs to stay healthy.

He could be as could as Spaeth (who was better than Utecht).

Spaeth is an all time Gopher great. If he weren't in pads, he would've been put in jail for the abuse he inflicted.

Couldn't agree more. Used to love watching him flatten unsuspecting DE's. We would stretch to his side & he consistently planted pursuing DE's who were watching the ball carrier instead of Spaeth.

Spaeth had fantastic hands too!

Had he been fast (he was not fast) he might've been a first rounder. Just too slow to play in space in the NFL.

Matt was a true Warrior in Maroon and Gold. An all time great. Great bloodlines (Ken should have been a Gopher). Hope he has a few sons for us, like the Barbers.

Maxx (son of Brian) is a one of our cornerstones that the bricks are laid upon. He will have a huge career at Minnesota and beyond.

Maxx will not be anything like Spaeth, he is much more physical version of Utecht. Ben was really a big WR, not a TE. Spaeth was basically an OT that could block in space and catch a ball.

Maxx would have to have a huge season, like 60+ receptions and 1,000+ yards to even think about going pro after this year.

Maxx going pro has everything to do with potential, and very little to do with catches and yards. In our system with our QBs, no one is going to put up those numbers.

The kid was just picked as the top preseason TE in the conference. If, and a big if, he finishes that way, no doubt he would be drafted in the top 4-5 rounds.

People go pro early if they are expected 1st round draft pick (or maybe second) or if they fear their stock could go down. Few players leave after their Sophomore year no matter what. If he does have a good year this year and next, they we could talk about him leaving after his Junior year.

Quite frankly, I'd agree. What a shameless plug for some other site.

This is GOPHERHOLE. I won't be checking out some other site any time soon just to read some random comment by some poster on that site I have never heard of... This norsk poster should show a little respect for the HOLE!

Stay classy dude. I don't post a great deal on Gopherhole compared to others on this site but I do read it everyday. I think I covered why I posted it on The Daily Gopher quite clearly; and since I in no way get paid or receive any benefit from posting on TDG or people viewing it, it is hardly a shameless plug. BTW, pretty much every comment on Gopherhole could be classified as a "random comment." I do respect Gopherhole, enough not to call it the HOLE, any some of my past comments have been defending those with different views and apologizing to those who I misinterpreted or represented their view; I believe I at least one apologized to you in your previous incarnation. In my view many people often don't show you (and many others) the respect that they should show everyone; but neither do you.

To you I say good day, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY! (FYI, that last comment is a joke, say it in the voice of Fes from That 70's Show).

Are you kidding? It is time for the young man to impress his own coaches enough to make sure that they use him correctly and that they insure that he will be utilized enough to play up to his potential. He needs to score enough touchdowns and keep enough drives alive and moving to REALLY make a difference. Just because he looks good in the uniform doesn't put him in the class with Utecth and Spaeth. And, Aaron Brown was perhaps the toughest of the Golden Gophers I ever saw catch the ball, AND play GREAT defensive end. He could have played any other number of positions on offense or defense. How good could Maxx look on the defensive side of the ball the way Aaron Brown did? Aaron Brown may be the Golden Gopher end I respected the most...! In my mind Aaron Brown is an ALL-TIME Golden Gopher right along with Bobby Bell, Tom Brown, Sandy Stephens, Paul Giel and a hand-full of others.

It was rather disappointing the way the coaches utilized Maxx Williams, or should I say under utilized him last season. The kid's got potential. Get some more wins. And: beat the stinking badgers by utilizing this young man's potential with your play calling and play execution coach Limegrover. And finally: stay healthy out there Maxx! GREAT Gopher Football Players and GREAT Gopher Football Coaches played on teams and coached teams that WON Border Battle games against the badgers and the hawkeyes. THAT is essential!

Walrus, you are right sir!!! AAron Brown is one of the Greatest Gophers. He broke his jaw in the first half of a game and PLAYED the 2nd half. I'm with you on all your choices except you forgot the greatest of them all, the great Bronko. He played in an alumni game when he was in his 50s and held his own.

The people that honestly think Maxx is going pro after this season need to take a massive step back from the ledge. He is a nice player, potentially a great player, but he is nowhere close to being NFL ready. If he has a big year this year and next year MAYBE he goes pro after his Junior year.

Stay classy dude. I don't post a great deal on Gopherhole compared to others on this site but I do read it everyday. I think I covered why I posted it on The Daily Gopher quite clearly; and since I in no way get paid or receive any benefit from posting on TDG or people viewing it, it is hardly a shameless plug. BTW, pretty much every comment on Gopherhole could be classified as a "random comment." I do respect Gopherhole, enough not to call it the HOLE, any some of my past comments have been defending those with different views and apologizing to those who I misinterpreted or represented their view; I believe I at least one apologized to you in your previous incarnation. In my view many people often don't show you (and many others) the respect that they should show everyone; but neither do you.

To you I say good day, sir. I SAID GOOD DAY! (FYI, that last comment is a joke, say it in the voice of Fes from That 70's Show).

Please: just post your apology on tdg or what ever the name of that place is. I won't read it, but, I never do read tdg.

Have a decent day...

He can an NFL player. He simply needs to continue to work on his overall game. Improve his speed, strength, route running, blocking, and BMI. At this point, I would be surprised if he isn't drafted when his college career is finished.

Is that all? Well then, he's on his way to becoming the next Tony Gonzalez. :rolleyes:

Walrus, you are right sir!!! AAron Brown is one of the Greatest Gophers. He broke his jaw in the first half of a game and PLAYED the 2nd half. I'm with you on all your choices except you forgot the greatest of them all, the great Bronko. He played in an alumni game when he was in his 50s and held his own.

Halsey Hall: I enjoyed listening to your name-sake those many years ago! He helped me become convinced that the Golden Gopher Football Team would always be my Golden Gopher Football team and I can still hear his voice ringing through!

The Bronk was/is/always will be: LEGEND! His spirit IS Golden Gopher Football.

Please: just post your apology on tdg or what ever the name of that place is. I won't read it, but, I never do read tdg.

Have a decent day...

Another jerk comment from wren. I suspect the reason that he doesn't read the TDG is that they don't put up with his crap there. I remembered that Matt H also had no time for him he would post his crap at the old FBT site. When will the GopherHole say enough is enough?

Maxx going pro has everything to do with potential, and very little to do with catches and yards. In our system with our QBs, no one is going to put up those numbers.

The kid was just picked as the top preseason TE in the conference. If, and a big if, he finishes that way, no doubt he would be drafted in the top 4-5 rounds.

And that is why I don't think there is any chance he leaves after this year. Why would he leave to be a 5th round pick?

To be fair I think the stats are a bit misleading, I know Kill likes to run, but Mason rarely didn't run, I think this is a friendlier offense for Williams compared to the offense Spaeth and Utecht played in.

IF the stats are misleading, what the heck can you believe? The stats are based upon the actual numbers of passes caught, yardage gained on the passes caught, touchdowns made on passes caught...you know, stuff like that when you are evaluating the passing game. It seems to me that the stats would quite possibly be closer to the truth than someone's interpretation of what the coach likes to do and how much they like to do it. How much does Kill like to run? He even wants his quarterbacks to run based upon his read/run offense. How often didn't Mason like to run? How often didn't his quarterbacks not read/run?

It would seem to me that the stats NEVER lie. Study the stats: the stats will set you free! Give me the numbers rather than telling me what the coach likes and doesn't like. How much? How often? Specific numbers would take all of your "guess work" out of your conclusion based upon your perception of what Coach Kill likes and Coach Mason rarely didn't like...

The only stat that counts is conference wins. It's all about conference wins. That is why Mason is gone. That is why Brewster is gone. That is why Kill will stay. A competent coaching staff attracts players. Each year recruiting picks up with Kill. Love that so many athletic QBs are recruited. Recruits like our future All American 1st round pick, Maxx Williams!

The only stat that counts is conference wins. It's all about conference wins. That is why Mason is gone. That is why Brewster is gone. That is why Kill will stay. A competent coaching staff attracts players. Each year recruiting picks up with Kill. Love that so many athletic QBs are recruited. Recruits like our future All American 1st round pick, Maxx Williams!

Now you have FINALLY figured the whole thing out. Conference wins will dictate which coaches coach my Golden Gophers...how long they will remain employed...and just EXACTLY how they are competing within the conference. It IS the barometer of the health of this Football Program. It always has been. It always will be. This will be a KEY year for Coach Kill and his staff. Just watch the Conference win totals. It will tell you how well Coach Kill is recruiting, coaching, competing and will determine how long he will survive. No one can "spin it" or control public opinion about it. To date: Coach Kill and his staff have managed 8 Conference wins in three full seasons. After last season, his "trend" is upward. Right now, his trend is his friend. Watch the trend line. a dip down to three conference wins in 2014 would be manageable as long as a bowl invitation is achieved. Two conference wins in 2014 would be a real warning.

On the other hand, 4 conference wins again would be a confirmation that the trend is confirmed. A five conference win season would signal at least five more years for Coach Kill IF he wants it. Border Battle wins and Trophy wins can be indicators of strength OR weakness if Border Battle losses continue. Bowl wins are ALMOST as important as a Conference win.And THAT is how this job has ALWAYS been judged and ALWAYS will be judged. Watch the Conference Win TREND. It will tell you ALL you need to know about the future of Coach Kill and his Staff! You can take that to the BANK!

To quote Frank Tilghman from Roadhouse: "He's good, he's real good".

IF the stats are misleading, what the heck can you believe? The stats are based upon the actual numbers of passes caught, yardage gained on the passes caught, touchdowns made on passes caught...you know, stuff like that when you are evaluating the passing game. It seems to me that the stats would quite possibly be closer to the truth than someone's interpretation of what the coach likes to do and how much they like to do it. How much does Kill like to run? He even wants his quarterbacks to run based upon his read/run offense. How often didn't Mason like to run? How often didn't his quarterbacks not read/run?

It would seem to me that the stats NEVER lie. Study the stats: the stats will set you free! Give me the numbers rather than telling me what the coach likes and doesn't like. How much? How often? Specific numbers would take all of your "guess work" out of your conclusion based upon your perception of what Coach Kill likes and Coach Mason rarely didn't like...

Yup. And you don't have to be a football Einstein to see where this team is headed. It is easy and secure to be a doubter about the emergence of the Gopher Football program, but the evidence is there for college football connoisseurs. We are getting ready to start putting NFL players out on a regular basis. Ar least 2 from last season. Something we haven't done since we were optimistic about Mason being the answer. Difference is we are getting ready to double and triple his numbers. You have to have players to win. No matter how good they were is HS they have to be developed to a college level. These coaches excel in that area.

It is easy to see Maxx is going. There are going to be many more on this team. We are competitive for the division title this year, even with this tough schedule. We just need to have the ball bounce right for us a few times and we are not used to having that happen. 6 conference wins is possible this year and it will be no fewer than 4 in the worst case.

It is special that Kill has seen Sherels and Dom Barber as coaches for his system. I would love it if Tyrone was a fit. Kill has that answer, I don't.

Maxx is a stud and when the coaching staff is done with him he will be a Gopher Legend. Your surprise star for this year? Mitch Leidner.

To anyone who thinks there is any chance he leaves after this year: You're nuts. Maybe if all of the qb's got hurt and he had to throw the ball and all the receivers got hurt so he had to catch every ball thrown by himself and blocked on the entire line for himself. Sorry, but he might be pretty good but won't be going pro after this year.

Top Bottom