Maverick Ahanmisi To Make Minnesota Visit

PurplePride

Banned
Reaction score
Maverick Ahanmisi To Make Minnesota Visit

Maverick Ahanmisi, a 6-foot-1 point guard from Tarazana (CA) Stoneridge Prep, will visit Minnesota Wednesday, according to Branch West AAU coach Bob Gottlieb. Ahanmisi was headed to Boise State, but went to Stoneridge Prep after failing to clear the NCAA Clearinghouse. Minnesota is looking for point guard depth with the expected transfer of Justin Cobbs.

Maverick Ahanmisi, the son of a Nigerian father and Philpino mother. played high school basketball at Golden Valley. He finished his career as the school's all-time leading scorer and three-point shooter. He averaged 12.5 points per game as a sophomore, 15.8 as a junior and 20.2 points as a senior.

Ahanmisi played this season at Stoneridge Prep and will make a Big Ten visit this weekend, according to Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service head Bob Gottlieb.

He is visiting Minnesota on Wednesday," Gottlieb said. "All indications are that they will offer and he is likely to accept.

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi has attraction plenty of recruiting attention.

“A lot of people are showing interest," Gottlieb said. "Boise State tried to sign him last summer and brought him into campus and offered him a scholarship. He basically accepted, but he found out that his paper work was not complete for the Clearinghouse. He would have had to pay $10,000 until the Clearinghouse cleared him, which we found was going to take a month or two because of the backlog of football players. They can’t put you on scholarship until you are cleared by the Clearinghouse and his dad turned that down. SMU and Weber State tried to sign him in the fall and he put that off until the spring. Right now, there are a number of schools like Tulane, Pacific, St. Mary’s and Miami. Right now, the big thing is going to be Minnesota. He is leaning towards that and I spoke to Tubby myself directly last week and I think that they are leaning towards offering him and I think that he is going to accept.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi had a breakthrough performance that attracted the interest in Boise State last summer.

“They were there when he had ten threes (seven in the second half) against the Joe Ward All-Stars from Phoenix and had 37 points," Gottlieb said. "They were one of the few schools that had a scholarship left from the fall, so they tried to sign him. When the problem came up with the Clearinghouse, they couldn’t go any further.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi played a key role for a talented Stoneridge team this fall. Ahanmisi was expected to play this season at Mississippi Elite Christian Academy in Jackson, but decided to attend a porep school closer to home.

“He had a solid year for them," Gottlieb said. "They were an inside-orientated team. They had Enes Kanter, who is the best player in the country. He is 6-foot-10 and from Turkey and he signed with Kentucky. It was a different system. Everything was funneled through him, but he (Ahanmisi) still had a solid year. They lost to Findlay Prep by one, just before Findlay won the national championship and he had 15 in that game.

you beat me to it! Haha I just posted asking about this kid... and you've got the answers haha well done!:clap:

A story I've heard about spring recruiting.

The person I talked to compared it to being a single guy at the bar about 1:30 in the morning. You'll looking for love and you convince yourself that she's really cute, she's underrated and you talk yourself into it.

And then you wake up the next morning. And none of it is true.

This kid might be awesome, but I don't get too excited about taking a kid that was going to go to Boise.

Thanks GL!

I must've skipped over that one ;)

Trust me, it's hard to keep up - I'll never knock someone for not seeing a thread, because it happens to me all the time!

The person I talked to compared it to being a single guy at the bar about 1:30 in the morning. You'll looking for love and you convince yourself that she's really cute, she's underrated and you talk yourself into it.

This kid might be awesome, but I don't get too excited about taking a kid that was going to go to Boise.

That does not sound good, when the beer goggles come off...it's usually not a good thing ;)

Another Story About Spring/Summer Recruiting

Arizona missed on all of its G targets in 1984. Late in the summer, Lute Olson invited a skinny kid from Southern California to visit campus and offered him a scholarship. The kid had only been to Gonzaga but the Zags declined to offer him a scholly. The kid's name?

Steve Kerr.

1:30, beer googles, Steve Kerr, this thread could really get hilarious.

I'm having Engen Nurumbi and Limar Wilson flashbacks. Any remedy to stop them?

FOT,

Yes, there are exceptions and there are kids that are signed in the spring that end up being diamonds in the rough. There are kids who sign in the spring for legit reasons.

But for every Steve Kerr, there are a lot of Engen Nurumbi stories.

Coaches panic and then they go out and talk themselves into believing a kid is good enough. But my thoughts are simple: If a kid who isn't in the top 75 and is available on May 1, there are issues there. He's either got baggage or he isn't good enough.

Arizona missed on all of its G targets in 1984. Late in the summer, Lute Olson invited a skinny kid from Southern California to visit campus and offered him a scholarship. The kid had only been to Gonzaga but the Zags declined to offer him a scholly. The kid's name?

Steve Kerr.

For every Steve Kerr there are 2000 late recruits that wash out.

This whole recruiting class has had a very Monsonesque feel to it- no real successes and then grabbing players at the end.

Yes, Bill Walker isn't recruiting for us anymore.

JG

AND Monson will not be "coaching" the new recruits !!!!!

In Tubby I Trust.

Anyone having any luck on finding the Stoneridge Prep website? I wanted to check out his numbers and who they played, etc.

His high school stats look very similar to Justin Cobbs, and they played in the same county so their competition was probably similar (I know nothing of California HS hoops, just conjecture.)

It also sounds like he is viewed as being a hard worker which is very important when it comes to defensive effort.

I'd say, hit the road Justin, and we'll test the waters with Maverick. Can't be much worse, and maybe he won't twitter about how we're all curious about which mid-major he's going to transfer to if he doesn't pan out.

Pretty big names on the coaching staff at the school. thttp://stoneridgepreparatory.com/StoneridgePreparatory/Bulletin_Board.html tried to paste a link of a picture of Samaki Walker and Jeff Lamp who are on the coaching staff there, apparently.

I'd say, hit the road Justin, and we'll test the waters with Maverick.

I'd be more inclined to wish Cobbs good luck and success down the road. I'll also wonder when the Top Gun references will start for " Mav ".

I'd be more inclined to wish Cobbs good luck and success down the road. I'll also wonder when the Top Gun references will start for " Mav ".

One poster already had that pic of Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer arguing. It could be pretty funny. I do like how his stats improved each year in high school. I thought I read somewhere that he was a captain. He must be used to feeding the post from playing with Kanter this past year. Also, The extra year to mature is always a plus in my opinion. I know there's disagreement on that point, but I always think it's a good thing.

This clearly appears to be a Plan B or Plan C move, a choice the staff decided to make when Cory chose Texas, knowing Justin's probably leaving & not being able to know 100% what will happen with Al this spring & summer. It's pretty apparent we wouldn't have taken Ahanmisi, otherwise.

Not comfortable with our PG situation heading into 2010-11 considering Al's situation, so I think it's a gamble worth taking. This is one we'll simply have to trust the staff & cross our fingers, IMO. If Al's eligible & Ahanmisi is not Big Ten caliber, he's probably not going to play much next year, anyways. Then next year if the Gophers want Estan Tyler & he wants to be a Gopher PG, I'm sure Ahanmisi would get the drift and consider other options after one year here.

blizz

I agree regarding Justin.

First, I hope Justin stays, though it does not seem to be in the cards. I believe he could be a very productive Big Ten guard down the road.

Second, if he does transfer I wish him well. He worked hard, gave it his all, stayed out of trouble, and shot 80% from the charity stripe.

I fail to understand the animus towards JC.

With Maverick we would be getting possibly the most culturally diverse name in the Big Ten!

Go Gophers!

04-24-2010, 05:58 PM
JohnnyGopher
Senior Member Join Date: Nov 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

update from today was that Nolen was doing well and odds of him playing next year are looking good.
I'm going to stick with this info. I'm thinking the point guard situation will be okay.

Steve Kerr.

The Kerr situation is the exception, not the rule. This guy looks good out of pure desperation. We went from Cory Joseph to Maverick Who?
I'm thinking Al Nolen better be healthy to play 30 minutes next season!

Limar Wilson, yikes! He transferred to Division II Tarleton State and averaged 4 ppg.

Obviously the kid isn't first choice, but hopefully he isn't being expected to contribute as a freshman and Al Nolen and Devoe can handle the PG duties. I think as long as he's given time to come in and grow as a player, he's one of those guys who could be reliable come junior and senior year. But as a freshman, if he's on the court more than 3 minutes a game, we might be in trouble.

It is imperative that those two (Al & Devoe) will be able to lock down 30 minutes a game a piece for this team to have hopes of success next season. We got the post knocked out, but in NCAA, that guard play is so important. If Al comes back and can bring the defensive intensity and ball handling we need, we will be alright. Then when Al needs a blow, slide Devoe over to the 1 and go from there.

Those two better get their windsprints on this summer, cause I have a feelin their gonna be playing A TON next season.

It's frickin' impossible to find out anymore information on this kid! A person has to belong to one of those CSI shows to dig anything up about him. I could have swore I read somewhere that his team played Findlay Prep this past season. I wanted to see how he did in that game (the head to head stuff against Cory Joseph) and also others, but stats of his past prep season are difficult to dig up.

I am a bit concerned about the depth. There were a lot of times where Al had foul problems. If we lose Cobbs, then this Mav kid better be able to play from day one. I think if Cobbs leaves we will be sorry.

Couldn't find one, I mean not even one Youtube video on the Mav! What's up with that?! Does the guy even have a Twitter account? Facebook? He's going to have to vault into the year 2010.

Hey, wait one minute! Some of my best pick-up games have been wearing beer goggles.

Top Bottom