Matt Miller on Tyler Johnson: Rd 6-7; He’s not fast. He’s not big. He’s not getting good character reports

Has PJ come out and defended Tyler over this?
Aren't all the top WR are a little entitled, if that is all Miller has and I'm a GM, I'm still taking him.

I’ve reading through the intense Twitter storm that has developed over the last hour or so. Supposedly, Matt has said on his podcast several times that Tyler is “entitled.” That is the alleged “character” issue. Maybe the poster above is correct that a former Gopher coach spread this. I can’t imagine anyone currently on staff would say that.

Feel like this is getting a little blown out of proportion here at this point. So one NFL draft hack made some vague comments and used them to justify a bad grade on a player. Nearly every other publication seems to have TJ projected in round 2-3.

NFL teams have scouting departments in charge of evaluating players they are going to invest millions of dollars in. The opinions of guys like Miller don't mean jack to those places.

It is entirely possible that an area scout met with TJ during the season (they come to practice and speak with the players a little) and didn't get a great vibe off him for one reason or another. Then later he talks to Miller and doesn't have glowing things to say which Miller then turns into character issues and away we go. (no clue if I am right just guessing).

TJ's draft stock will hinge a lot on his 40 time because that is how it works in the NFL. Really not worth getting all that worked up about one guy who will be relevant for the next few months and then forgotten this time next year.

Aren't all the top WR are a little entitled, if that is all Miller has and I'm a GM, I'm still taking him.

Fleck has had nothing but glowing things to say about TJ. He gushed about him after the bowl game for like 3-4 minutes. It is not Fleck's job to go after individual hacks who might have something negative to say. However I have no doubt that if widespread negative reports were getting out that he didn't feel were justified he would say something.

Feel like this is getting a little blown out of proportion here at this point. So one NFL draft hack made some vague comments and used them to justify a bad grade on a player. Nearly every other publication seems to have TJ projected in round 2-3.

NFL teams have scouting departments in charge of evaluating players they are going to invest millions of dollars in. The opinions of guys like Miller don't mean jack to those places.

It is entirely possible that an area scout met with TJ during the season (they come to practice and speak with the players a little) and didn't get a great vibe off him for one reason or another. Then later he talks to Miller and doesn't have glowing things to say which Miller then turns into character issues and away we go. (no clue if I am right just guessing).

TJ's draft stock will hinge a lot on his 40 time because that is how it works in the NFL. Really not worth getting all that worked up about one guy who will be relevant for the next few months and then forgotten this time next year.

I know, but in this instance, he’s claiming to have gotten the “character” report from 10+ teams. Whether accurate or not, it’s not good for Tyler to have that all over Twitter.

I know, but in this instance, he’s claiming to have gotten the “character” report from 10+ teams. Whether accurate or not, it’s not good for Tyler to have that all over Twitter.

It is the job of his agent and whoever else he has working with him to clean up any character reports with teams.

The social media aspect is a societal thing. When you are an athlete or famous person there will always be a-holes that will say negative things about you. You can either choose to care about the opinions of people you don't know and don't matter or you can let them tear you up.

The twitter crap will have zero impact on where he gets drafted. People put way too much emphasis on social media and the opinions of random people. As long as the character reports are not tied to specific actions by TJ and are just vague claims with nothing concrete supporting them, it really isn't worth the time to get upset about them. It is just one guys opinion and as much as we may not like it or agree with it, he has the right to have it.

It is the job of his agent and whoever else he has working with him to clean up any character reports with teams.

The social media aspect is a societal thing. When you are an athlete or famous person there will always be a-holes that will say negative things about you. You can either choose to care about the opinions of people you don't know and don't matter or you can let them tear you up.

The twitter crap will have zero impact on where he gets drafted. People put way too much emphasis on social media and the opinions of random people. As long as the character reports are not tied to specific actions by TJ and are just vague claims with nothing concrete supporting them, it really isn't worth the time to get upset about them. It is just one guys opinion and as much as we may not like it or agree with it, he has the right to have it.
He isn’t expressing an opinion. He is making a claim.

The social media thing is a medium thing.

People make choices, but Twitter makes people stupid too.

On Twitter short, trite, outlandish and generally mean spirited things get more attention and Twitter's system revolves around rewarding that kind of content.

“We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us.” — Marshall McLuhan

He isn’t expressing an opinion. He is making a claim.

Still doesn't change things. He is making his claim based on whatever information he has that he got from whatever sources he uses to evaluate players and rank them. We may not agree with or like the information he has but it is what it is.

If he had come out and said TJ beat someone up or got busted using illegal drugs that would be one thing. But saying a kid was entitled or that he got a bad character reports from teams is really vague and based on opinions.

These bad character reports could be long detailed writeups on TJ's attitude or more likely some area scout or scouts quick notes on a guy taken from a day of evaluations. Maybe TJ was having a bad day and didn't leave a good impression with those scouts that day and that was the info Miller got.

As annoying as it is, what Miller is saying will have no impact on where TJ gets drafted. It is just noise, the stuff Fleck is constantly working with his players to tune out and ignore.

I can imagine him being aloof in practice, and scouts getting the impression that he doesn’t have a good attitude/work ethic, or something along those lines. We all saw him flipping the ball to the refs in the bowl game, despite PJ’s policy to hand the ball to refs. It’s hard to imagine he could have accomplished so much here with a poor work ethic. He’ll have to make a positive impression at the combine to ease any concerns the scouts have.

Miller is friends with Jim Nagy, the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl, btw. Nagy was liking some of Miller’s tweets last night, so he was clearly following the conversation. At first, I thought this was fabricated by Miller, but I now believe there are NFL people who have this view of Tyler.

Miller is friends with Jim Nagy, the Executive Director of the Senior Bowl, btw. Nagy was liking some of Miller’s tweets last night, so he was clearly following the conversation. At first, I thought this was fabricated by Miller, but I now believe there are NFL people who have this view of Tyler.

This is exactly right. Miller posted something during the fall that TJ was a first round pick potentially. Then, Nagy didn't invite TJ to Senior Bowl for some reason and MIller jumped on it. Miller and Nagy are tight and share info. So, someone gave Nagy enough info on TJ to not give him an invite to the senior bowl when his numbers and performance more than made him worthy of the invite.

My only assumption is that Nagy got info on a different Tyler Johnson. There are about 15 Tyler Johnsons playing college football right now.

Still doesn't change things. He is making his claim based on whatever information he has that he got from whatever sources he uses to evaluate players and rank them. We may not agree with or like the information he has but it is what it is.

If he had come out and said TJ beat someone up or got busted using illegal drugs that would be one thing. But saying a kid was entitled or that he got a bad character reports from teams is really vague and based on opinions.

These bad character reports could be long detailed writeups on TJ's attitude or more likely some area scout or scouts quick notes on a guy taken from a day of evaluations. Maybe TJ was having a bad day and didn't leave a good impression with those scouts that day and that was the info Miller got.

As annoying as it is, what Miller is saying will have no impact on where TJ gets drafted. It is just noise, the stuff Fleck is constantly working with his players to tune out and ignore.
Your post is assuming that Miller was actually told this about TJ. Mine is assuming he made it all up.

This is exactly right. Miller posted something during the fall that TJ was a first round pick potentially. Then, Nagy didn't invite TJ to Senior Bowl for some reason and MIller jumped on it. Miller and Nagy are tight and share info. So, someone gave Nagy enough info on TJ to not give him an invite to the senior bowl when his numbers and performance more than made him worthy of the invite.

My only assumption is that Nagy got info on a different Tyler Johnson. There are about 15 Tyler Johnsons playing college football right now.

Yep, Nagy doesn’t like Tyler for some reason, but I don’t agree that he got him mixed up with a different Tyler Johnson. Miller did have Tyler slotted as a first rounder as recently as October!

I know some people are brushing this off, but it is something Tyler is going to have to address, fair or not.

Your post is assuming that Miller was actually told this about TJ. Mine is assuming he made it all up.

I would be shocked if he just made it up. But I definitely think he might have gotten the info about the wrong Tyler Johnson. For a first rounder he would probably make a correction. For anyone else better to just double down and argue with people on Twitter for fun.

Yep, Nagy doesn’t like Tyler for some reason, but I don’t agree that he got him mixed up with a different Tyler Johnson. Miller did have Tyler slotted as a first rounder as recently as October!

I know some people are brushing this off, but it is something Tyler is going to have to address, fair or not.

We are all kind of discounting the fact that there might be character issues with TJ. I would be shocked to find out there was anything major with him based on what we know about him but he certainly could have rubbed some people the wrong way at some point in the evaluation process.

We really have on idea how all of it works or what all goes on behind the scenes with the NFL scouting departments and what not.

What statistic about TJ makes you think that he should have been dropped from a projected first rounder to a 6-7th rounder? You think it was because of attitude issues that have NEVER come up before? Especially considering the glowing accounts of his character. Seems odd that a random twitter guy who (I'm assuming) follows MANY college athletes would be so tuned into TJ's behavior. If this Nagy guy who coordinates the Senior Bowl rosters chose to leave him out for one reason or another....and this Miller hack has ties with him....it's FAR more likely that Miller is following his lead.

We are all kind of discounting the fact that there might be character issues with TJ. I would be shocked to find out there was anything major with him based on what we know about him but he certainly could have rubbed some people the wrong way at some point in the evaluation process.

We really have on idea how all of it works or what all goes on behind the scenes with the NFL scouting departments and what not.

Considering what we know about TJ.....and the fact that he has NEVER had any issues in his four years as a Gopher.....it's alarming to see fans taking the word of some random twitter guy.

Would this make TJ the only WR coming out of college to have character issues? Enough to drop his draft stock this far? Bullsh*t.

Seems like PitinoFan is on to something. Clearly there are some who are not high on him and Miller and Nagy seem to be the driving forces.

What statistic about TJ makes you think that he should have been dropped from a projected first rounder to a 6-7th rounder? You think it was because of attitude issues that have NEVER come up before? Especially considering the glowing accounts of his character. Seems odd that a random twitter guy who (I'm assuming) follows MANY college athletes would be so tuned into TJ's behavior. If this Nagy guy who coordinates the Senior Bowl rosters chose to leave him out for one reason or another....and this Miller hack has ties with him....it's FAR more likely that Miller is following his lead.

Yeah, I think he’s following Nagy’s lead. What’s even worse...Nagy is pretty tied into the scouting network. His Twitter bio says he was an NFL scout for 18 years, and I’m sure a lot of input from scouts all over the league goes into filling the Senior Bowl roster. It’s a legitimate concern that Tyler will have to deal with over the next few months.

Last edited:

This looks like a 'D' graded site....but who knows what the author does.

"Jim Nagy is a Clueless Dope"

That tweet seems rather unprofessional for someone in his position.
Now the question is, will Gopher fans start to harass Nagy on Twitter as much as they have Miller? Not likely, but would be fun to see it happen. ;)

Now the question is, will Gopher fans start to harass Nagy on Twitter as much as they have Miller? Not likely, but would be fun to see it happen. ;)

If he Tweeted that right now, they definitely would.

I’ve reading through the intense Twitter storm that has developed over the last hour or so. Supposedly, Matt has said on his podcast several times that Tyler is “entitled.” That is the alleged “character” issue. Maybe the poster above is correct that a former Gopher coach spread this. I can’t imagine anyone currently on staff would say that.
An entitled player? Isn't that every player that's ever come from the SEC? Nagy is probably just mad his wolverines finished lower than the Gophers.

I wouldn't legitimize Miller by responding if I was PJ.

I'm sure PJ has been a coach long enough to know that responding to every jerk on Twitter is a no win situation / would just get the wrong attention / encourage them.

I'm sure PJ has been a coach long enough to know that responding to every jerk on Twitter is a no win situation / would just get the wrong attention / encourage them.

I agree. He doesn’t need to respond to the tweets. The focus should be on the scouts and GMs. I would imagine PJ (plus Matt S, Kirk C, etc) has already had many discussions with NFL people about TJ.

Heather! Just kidding. I feel bad for TJ. Get some idiot pulling crap like that. Messing with a person's livelihood is very serious.

Tyler is trending on Twitter. It might even be a good thing that all of this is getting hashed out right now, rather than on the eve of draft day.

dE9p15p.png

Top Bottom