Matt Miller on Tyler Johnson: Rd 6-7; He’s not fast. He’s not big. He’s not getting good character reports

The PFF guys love him and swear by his route running. That's something he does really well.

He’s entitled to his draft grade opinion, but I called him out last night for his attempted character assassination.

I enjoy Matt's content as fan of the draft/team building, and I am really surprised by the comments on Tyler Johnson's character. He's either really heard that from scouts or is making it up to strengthen his position in an argument about a college players projection to the NFL. I don't know Tyler, but a kid who could barely get on the field for a horrible position group under Jerry Kill has turned in to a kid who is one of the best receivers in the B1G. He's done this without oustanding physcial traits (as Matt pointed out) and under a coach who isn't shy about disciplining his best players (see Kamal Martin). It seems really difficult to achieve what Tyler has achieved with poor character.

I think Stephon Diggs was a 6th round draft pick and that one turned out pretty well.....Bateman will go even higher than Johnson next year.

I enjoy Matt's content as fan of the draft/team building, and I am really surprised by the comments on Tyler Johnson's character. He's either really heard that from scouts or is making it up to strengthen his position in an argument about a college players projection to the NFL. I don't know Tyler, but a kid who could barely get on the field for a horrible position group under Jerry Kill has turned in to a kid who is one of the best receivers in the B1G. He's done this without oustanding physcial traits (as Matt pointed out) and under a coach who isn't shy about disciplining his best players (see Kamal Martin). It seems really difficult to achieve what Tyler has achieved with poor character.
What was Kill’s issue with TJ?

Pretty surprised at his take. I think the few knocks on Johnson have been established in that he doesn’t have 4.3-4.4 speed and he has the occasional odd drop. However, he is a great route runner, has a great vertical, is really good at pinpointing the football and making contested catches. He is also a good runner after the catch and he is very quick; a fluid athlete. At 6’2” he is not exactly small, so thats a very odd take. I have never heard of any character issues from him and he has never been in trouble, at least to my knowledge. I think he goes 2-3. There is a reason Miller writes for bleacher report and is not an actual nfl scout.

I am not surprised by this with Miller. I wouldn’t expect a guy to back down on an opinion based on twitter comments, but he is the type of guy to bullishly double down and fight back. I don’t l think he has done much work on Johnson yet, but his job is to have an opinion so he gave one.

I think the better story is how Fleck leads these young men. Tyler Johnson would not have made it this far in Fleck’s program if he had character issues. Fleck is preparing his players to be young men of integrity and good character on the field and beyond. There is no denying that. In addition, Fleck will defend his players and speak to their great character every opportunity he gets and he did it on KFAN Monday with Nordo.

What was Kill’s issue with TJ?

Kill recruited TJ. TJ was a freshman in 2016 - after Kill left. Not sure what EG#9’s intentions are with that statement, but they aren’t true. TJ played in every game as a freshman as well.

TJ is a stud. Strong as an Ox. Jumps like a dang kangaroo. Arms of a Silverback. Hands of Margerine....

don't know Tyler, but a kid who could barely get on the field for a horrible position group under Jerry Kill has turned in to a kid who is one of the best receivers in the B1G.

Sorry to nitpick, but Tyler never played for Kill.

Also, he was on the field plenty as a true freshman under Claeys in 2016.

I'm not sure what's behind the revisionist history in this thread, but Jerry Kill recruited Tyler Johnson and spoke very highly of him. Before he ever played in a game there was talk that he was a future star.

Miller is entitled to his opinion but the character comments seem really odd. TJ came back in part in order to set a good example for kids from his community.

There are reasons to knock TJ down some in that he lacks the top end speed of some of the elite receivers and is prone to the bad drops at times but character doesn't seem like a reason to downgrade him. My guess is Miller got maybe one report on TJ's attitude and is making the assumption he fits in the diva receiver mold or something along those lines.

Meh. As others said, it's one guy's opinion...and he's certainly entitled to it. Seems an odd take when many other draft experts have him ranked in the top 50 prospects. Only time will tell, I guess.

Miller also had a 1st round grade on Johnson as late as late September. Obviously opinions can change but I'm not sure what Johnson has done to slide 5 rounds in that time..

1574779243932.png

Also, I followed that Twitter link and read a lot of the Gopher fan responses. I'm embarrassed for those guys. Do they really think there's something positive about arguing vehemently and insultingly with a stranger about the character of someone they don't even know?

This really pissed me off when I saw it yesterday. I wonder if this guy has Tyler mixed up with someone else as far as the attitude stuff goes. It is so off from what locals and Gopher fans think of Tyler. I'm sure all of us have heard about him staying at North when there were only 80 kids left there. Also staying for his senior year of school so he could be the first one in his family to get a degree. Very proud of what Tyler has done on and off the field and the guy can play.

Not a first rounder (IMO) but this guy’s hot takes are laughable. The bar to be a bleacher report draft scout must be pretty low. Let’s wait for some actual tape breakdown by actual scouts.

Huh? Freshman in 2016, so not Kill. TJ was a QB in high school, so a year to transition would not be unusual. Played in all 13 games his freshman year.

I'm bad at predicting where guys will be drafted, but TJ in the sixth would be a steal. He is a natural route runner, he makes tough catches, he's fast enough, big enough, and athletic enough to get open and make catches in the NFL.

I really have no issue with the guy's take on his ability.

His take on his character? I really hope he has heard something and he is not just making stuff up to validate his opinion. From everything that I've heard, TJ is a really high character guy.

Meh. As others said, it's one guy's opinion...and he's certainly entitled to it. Seems an odd take when many other draft experts have him ranked in the top 50 prospects. Only time will tell, I guess.

Not picking on you, but, FABRICATING character issues does not qualify as an opinion, nor is a supposed professional entitled to do so.

a kid who could barely get on the field for a horrible position group under Jerry Kill

Tyler Johnson never played for Jerry Kill. At least you got your bizarre and unwarranted shot in, though. It's ironic that it comes in a thread about a guy making things up.

I think misinterpreted what I said largely because I made a mistake about Kill/Claeys. My point was that Tyler didn't play much as a freshman for a terrible passing team with a limited WR depth chart. Tyler played in 7 games and had 14 catches as a Freshman. It wass not intended to be a shot at anyone's character and quite the opposite, I was attempting to point out how far Tyler had come from his Freshman year to now and how unlikely that would be achieved by a player with "poor character".

Great find on Miller having Tyler as a first rounder previously NorthBurbsGopher!

One thing to mention about Tyler is he has accepted an invitation to the Shrine Bowl which typically features players who end up going in the later rounds or become UDFA's. It seems likely that Miller's (current) evaluation of Tyler the player is correct as it pertains to how he's viewed by the NFL. Obviously, plenty of players outperform their draft position and the traits Tyler lacks (specifically size speed ratio) are ones that are typically highly valued in the draft process.

He can stick the lie bout TJ having character issue up his stinky ssa.

Top Bottom