Market Watch

Found this bit of information:

Since World War II, bear markets have lasted 13 months on average, and stock markets tend to lose 30.4 percent of their value. During those conditions it usually takes stocks an average 22 months to recover, according to analysis from Goldman Sachs and CNBC.

the unanswered questions are - how long does this last and what impact does it have on the economy? Will there be a recession? Sounds like Wall Street did not like the President's response - they were apparently expecting more concrete steps to support the economy.

Found this bit of information:

Since World War II, bear markets have lasted 13 months on average, and stock markets tend to lose 30.4 percent of their value. During those conditions it usually takes stocks an average 22 months to recover, according to analysis from Goldman Sachs and CNBC.

the unanswered questions are - how long does this last and what impact does it have on the economy? Will there be a recession? Sounds like Wall Street did not like the President's response - they were apparently expecting more concrete steps to support the economy.
Good info thanks for diggin that up.

I think (and I have nothing to really back this up it's just my opinion) that our recovery will be fast. Maybe not as fast as this fall but really fast. Our economy was still so strong and humming along until this and a lot of the sell of is fear based and not based in reality.

I think (and I have nothing to really back this up it's just my opinion) that our recovery will be fast. Maybe not as fast as this fall but really fast. Our economy was still so strong and humming along until this and a lot of the sell of is fear based and not based in reality.
If it were just the virus thing and the oil thing, I'd agree. But there have been negative long-term indicators trending since last summer.

Smart post.

Tomorrow will get a bounce from the Congressional bailout.

Limit up open (5% cap). If gains don't hold today- even small ones; look out below. We could see another 40% drop from here. Keep your fingers crossed.

68% of the economy is based on consumer spending. It's going to take quite a while for consumer confidence to return. Also, the stimulus package has to be robust with cash going directly to consumers. Payroll and other tax cuts won't cut it.

I’ll take some free panic cash. Then will put it right in the stock market.

Our economy was still so strong and humming along until this and a lot of the sell of is fear based and not based in reality.

But fear is reality. Look at the economic impact of everything that has been cancelled and the effects of people hunkering down, not traveling, not going out, and spending less money. How many people who are close to retirement and have lost significant pension funds already are going to be hoarding cash over the next few years so they can leave their retirement funds untouched in the hope that those funds will have more time to recover?

68% of the economy is based on consumer spending. It's going to take quite a while for consumer confidence to return. Also, the stimulus package has to be robust with cash going directly to consumers. Payroll and other tax cuts won't cut it.
payroll tax cut doesn't put cash directly into consumer pockets?

Stop clamoring for stimulus! It doesn't work or help. Why are republicans and conservatives trying to get behind loser economics?

market is nuts today. at one point, Dow was up 1,000 over yesterday's close. Then it dropped 900 points. and now it's back up about 800 points. this is the definition of "volatility."

Who are these people?

"Sell, damn you, sell! Wait! I just changed my mind, buy G-D !! Ok hold on... sell!!"

Not retirees, not students, etc.
Retirees already get cash from the government. They aren’t affected by an economic slowdown. Why would we give them more money?

students roughly the same boat. if they aren’t working, why exactly are we giving them more money? For what purpose?

Trump doing what he can to help the market right before close with this presser lol.

Since Trump started talking at about 2:30 the Dow went up 1000 points. :unsure:

Well he did succeed on effecting the market. Good strategy to have CEOs speak and backing your plan.

Retirees already get cash from the government. They aren’t affected by an economic slowdown. Why would we give them more money?

students roughly the same boat. if they aren’t working, why exactly are we giving them more money? For what purpose?
??? You asked a question. That's the answer.

Damn. Waiting for sub 20. Might’ve missed the bottom.

Watch what happens when negative growth gets declared in Q1 or Q2.
I'm hoping for more bad news and another steep drop. If we get back to 21-ish territory, I'm going in. Good enough. Maybe I'll look silly in a month, but better than nothing.

Sunday afternoon the Fed announces an interest rate cut and using Fed funds to purchase more treasury notes to prop up the economy.

at about 7:30pm CDT Sunday, Dow futures and S & P futures were DOWN 5%. More economists predicting a recession.

Top Bottom