Mark Coyle Sole Finalist for U of M Director of Athletics position

dpodoll68

Elite Poster
Reaction score
Currently AD at Syracuse - more details coming

http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...ew_syracuse_athletic_director_mark_coyle.html

Here are 10 things you need to know about Coyle before he is introduced next week as the new Syracuse AD:

3. Served as deputy AD at Kentucky and helped oversee men's basketball
More than ever, an athletic director is judged by his ability to open up revenue streams, and Coyle cut his teeth doing so at Kentucky, where he helped bring in more than $140 million in donations and other funds.

That he later worked closely with John Calipari and the men's basketball program is a bonus given the importance of SU basketball as the athletic department's flagship program.

2prwvsw.jpg

Good for you. What exactly does this mean? Why do you announce that one guy is the finalist? I'm guessing he wants the job, but why not hold off until everything's been signed?

It means he's the pick. You announce one person as the finalist so his/her candidacy is made public and everyone has a chance to react appropriately. If they get a ton of pushback, they can always bail and move on to someone else because nothing's official yet.

Good for you. What exactly does this mean? Why do you announce that one guy is the finalist? I'm guessing he wants the job, but why not hold off until everything's been signed?

He is the name that will be presented to the Regents at the next meeting.

It means he's the pick. You announce one person as the finalist so his/her candidacy is made public and everyone has a chance to react appropriately. If they get a ton of pushback, they can always bail and move on to someone else because nothing's official yet.

Oh. So there's still a chance for Najarian if he and Jim Carter show up at Kaler's office with flamethrowers?

Among his responsibilities at Kentucky was development.

From the 'Cuse bio:

"Prior to joining Boise State, Coyle served in several roles in the athletics department at University of Kentucky, first as an associate athletics director in fundraising and development, then as senior associate athletics director for external affairs, a position he held for four years before being named deputy director of athletics. At University of Kentucky, Coyle successfully raised more than $140 million in annual donations and capital pledges and served as a sport administrator for multiple teams."

Wow, didn't expect to see another AD at a Power 5 school. I can't say I know much about this guy but at first look the pick seems encouraging.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also, liked his football hire at Syracuse

Finally, sweet revenge for the Texas Bowl!

Huge plus: Mark Coyle appears to just have a regular-sized tongue.

Tell me how to feel about this.

He has some experience.

Not sure how I feel about our AD coming here .... because family issues. Yay?

Man I really wanted to come to Minnesota.... well not really it was just convenient.....

Seems really qualified, great credentials. Don't know anything else besides that.

At what point do you start mocking everyone who was all "OMG A SEARCH FIRM... TYPICAL U OF M"? I doubt he would have surfaced if we had Louie Nanne and John Anderson running the search.

So that the U doesn't have to disclose the actual finalists (who are now the semifinalists). Universities do this all the time with high level hirings to get around disclosure laws.

Seems really qualified, great credentials. Don't know anything else besides that.

At what point do you start mocking everyone who was all "OMG A SEARCH FIRM... TYPICAL U OF M"? I doubt he would have surfaced if we had Louie Nanne and John Anderson running the search.

Yes, seems like a good hire. Though it's odd that with that "massive committee" ,which was certainly gonna leak information, none of the experts out there had any idea he was going to get the job.

Except of course for dpodoll's conjecture way back when.

He did use to work for the Gopher athletic department. They may have tried.

Completely agree, I think this was a nice find. Getting someone who lead an ACC department and oversaw a Mountain West one before that. A good find for the search firm. I would say family reasons is a smoke screen for whatever is actual reasons are though. Have no idea if we're paying him more money. he definitely has his work cut out for him in the meantime

Sid's pissed...now he has to make another "close personal friend" and at his age he doesn't have much time left

Sid's pissed...now he has to make another "close personal friend" and at his age he doesn't have much time left

I'm sure Sid's more pissed that the U didn't hire one of the hundreds of names he endorsed for the job.

He probably was a close personal friend of Sid's the last time he was here from 2001-2005.

He also has probably held The Axe

What's his opinion on refilling a rental cars gas tank before it is returned? I'm sure the STrib will be all over that question.

If part of the reason he's leaving Syracuse to move closer to home for personal reasons, he may have reached out to the U himself.

Top Bottom