marcus asks if gopher athletics should address how athletes feel about police

"Well something should happen to this policeman or whatever you want to call him. He needs to be held accountable big time and this is coming from a white guy."

Are you sure this wasn't a cop assisted suicide before you judge? Did you listen to what the girlfriend said? She told the Mpls paper she didn't film the shooting because it would have been too violent. (Already knew there was going to be a shooting?) She was more upset about not being feed like they told her she would be then of about seeing her boyfriend shot. Calmly started broadcasting from the incident and lack of normal response after seeing something so violent makes me wonder. She is not distraught and has all the answers to the questions. Where was the concern for her daughter in the car right after the shooting? Filming was more important? Staged? I don't know but I will wait for the results of the BCA before I judge.

Her reaction did seem a little odd but people do react differently to situations like that. I really hope we find out the truth in the end.

When someone is asked to produce their ID while seated in a car, what should they do?

How do you know that he was asked to produce his ID? Because the camerawoman said so? I believe the cop in the video said he asked him to keep his hands up not that he asked to see his ID. If that is the case, and dude went reaching anyway, what should the cop do?

We don't know what happened. It may turn out it happened just as the lady said it did, but it is still hearsay at this point and shouldn't be treated as fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless a cop visually sees a firearm in the hands of the suspect and is being pointed in a threatening way, they should not engage with their own weapon. The excuse of "he was reaching for his weapon" is an opinion and a guess by the cop. That is not reason enough to shoot the suspect. I strongly believe that the cops reacted correctly in the Michael Brown and Jamar Clark incidents. But the Falcon Heights and Baton Rouge incidents both strongly appear to be the fault of the officers, and they should be held accountable.

Her reaction did seem a little odd but people do react differently to situations like that. I really hope we find out the truth in the end.

All the reactions in the video she posted seem wrong. She seems crazy calm considering her boyfriend is sitting next to her bleeding and her daughter is in the car and the officer seems overly aggressive, actively pointing his gun at a dying man that is clearly not a threat in any way shape or form at that point.

Why is she not pleading with the officer to help her boyfriend? Why is he still pointing the gun when there is no threat....lots of questions still to be answered on this one.

I saw po'd to the nth degree/ I'm gonna make sure he pays for what he did. Problem is I'm speculating.

All the reactions in the video she posted seem wrong. She seems crazy calm considering her boyfriend is sitting next to her bleeding and her daughter is in the car and the officer seems overly aggressive, actively pointing his gun at a dying man that is clearly not a threat in any way shape or form at that point.

Why is she not pleading with the officer to help her boyfriend? Why is he still pointing the gun when there is no threat....lots of questions still to be answered on this one.

Apparently cops and soldiers in the military are trained to keep their weapon pointed at the one who is shot until someone comes to relieve them.

Her extreme calm demeanor is evident, but I would be equally shocked at her reaction whether her boyfriend was completely innocent or looking for a gun fight. Either way it is strange....meaning it has no relevance. I'm not going to jump to conclusions either way, but this certainly looks like a murder. Unless some piece of evidence becomes evident that isn't already clear, I hope the thug in uniform goes to prison for the rest of his life.

How do you know that he was asked to produce his ID? Because the camerawoman said so? I believe the cop in the video said he asked him to keep his hands up not that he asked to see his ID. If that is the case, and dude went reaching anyway, what should the cop do?

What should the cop do? NOT SHOT HIM!!!!!

People get nervous in situations. I could easily see myself reaching for my wallet thinking that is what he will want to see and not hearing the do not move!

Obviously the police need better training in how to deescalate situations. On the radio tonight they were talking to the group that trains the officers in MN and they said individual training requirement differed for each police department. And most do not have any real training on how to deal with a person that has a conceal carry permit. Officers do not like to hear that you have a gun and that it creates a threat to the officer.

What should the cop do? NOT SHOT HIM!!!!!

People get nervous in situations. I could easily see myself reaching for my wallet thinking that is what he will want to see and not hearing the do not move!

Obviously the police need better training in how to deescalate situations. On the radio tonight they were talking to the group that trains the officers in MN and they said individual training requirement differed for each police department. And most do not have any real training on how to deal with a person that has a conceal carry permit. Officers do not like to hear that you have a gun and that it creates a threat to the officer.

I don't disagree with your post. Don't paint me on a side here. I have no side. I stand by the last paragraph in my post you edited out for effect...

We don't know what happened. It may turn out it happened just as the lady said it did, but it is still hearsay at this point and shouldn't be treated as fact.

I don't disagree with your post. Don't paint me on a side here. I have no side. I stand by the last paragraph in my post you edited out for effect...

I didn't edit for effect, I just selected the part I was responding to in my comments for clarity. I didn't intend to paint you into any corner, was just responding to your comment that seemed to indicate that the officer had no choice but to shoot once the driver moved his hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.kare11.com/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

The audio of the officer calling in the traffic stop to dispatch. Used a broad racial stereotype as means to pull the car over, then 90 seconds later shots were fired. I'm sure there is a lot in that 90 seconds that we'd like know and could speculate about, but those facts are troubling.

Unless a cop visually sees a firearm in the hands of the suspect and is being pointed in a threatening way, they should not engage with their own weapon. The excuse of "he was reaching for his weapon" is an opinion and a guess by the cop. That is not reason enough to shoot the suspect. I strongly believe that the cops reacted correctly in the Michael Brown and Jamar Clark incidents. But the Falcon Heights and Baton Rouge incidents both strongly appear to be the fault of the officers, and they should be held accountable.

Do you know how a gun works, or just watch cartoons? Seriously, this is just ignorant.

Do you know how a gun works, or just watch cartoons? Seriously, this is just ignorant.

+1

We only see the recording of the aftermath. The unanswered questions are in the 90 seconds between the officer calling in the stop (not a tail light - matched a robbery BOLO I believe) & the video starting. What questions did the officer ask? What directions did the officer give? Was the suspect compliant? Yes, suspect is the he proper term since the officer noted the reason for the stop.

I see many jumping to conclusions based on partial, and possibly inaccurate/misleading information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what I'm hearing officers don't go to police academies but rather college etc. I'm not so sure if these are the right people who are officers. Getting an A in calculus isn't going to go far in this line of work. Can someone correct or agree with me?

From what I'm hearing officers don't go to police academies but rather college etc. I'm not so sure if these are the right people who are officers. Getting an A in calculus isn't going to go far in this line of work. Can someone correct or agree with me?

All law enforcement officers need a required 2-year degree, or more. Depending on position. But at very minimum a 2-year degree
in 'law enforcement', then their training academy. Police are trained more than any common person could comprehend, but even the
most extension training can't always prepare them for every incident. It just can't. Like they told us in the Army, we can train you
up and down, but in the end we need you to be thinkers and react on your feet. For some reason, any reason this police officer, with
an impeccable service record, felt threatened enough to pull his service weapon and discharge it.

Where did you receive your Law Enforcement education and training? Or let me ask a different question, what evidence do you have, at all,
to back up your statement about the Falcon Heights incident? If you have seen a video or any other evidence about what led to the shooting and the shooting itself, please link it.

Are the police perfect? Nope, they're human like anyone else. I'm just going to leave this here for all the pompous ***holes to gain perspective. Also, holding commuters hostage, jumping on cars, etc is illegal. Your right to protest ends when it infringes on the right to free movement. Very sad situation all around.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0K2-NEo3NVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So you would prefer some dumbass hick or maybe someone that can't read? Part of the reason is to show that a candidate has dedication and responsibility. Getting a degree shows just that.

So you would prefer some dumbass hick or maybe someone that can't read? Part of the reason is to show that a candidate has dedication and responsibility. Getting a degree shows just that.

One slice of the overall solution to this road that find ourselves going down, is that all cops should be required to have a 4 year degree in whatever they want, plus their 2 year law enforcement degree in the form of a masters, followed by formal academy training (which I thought was just 12 weeks, but I might be wrong). It is nearly impossible for those in charge to weed out those cops who are more prone to completely crapping their pants in very important moments, but on the other hand they HAVE TO weed them out. This would help.

They do both

Are the police perfect? Nope, they're human like anyone else. I'm just going to leave this here for all the pompous ***holes to gain perspective. Also, holding commuters hostage, jumping on cars, etc is illegal. Your right to protest ends when it infringes on the right to free movement. Very sad situation all around.

I would hope a trained police force would have a better eye for this sort of thing than the average joe on a message board.

As far as a right to protest ending when it infringes on the right to free movement. . . where did you get that from? There are plenty of protests that muck up the movement for the rest of the population.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0K2-NEo3NVU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pompous A holes, or innocent victims of bad policing that know they were fortunate that their "run in" with "law enforcement" didn't end the same way...

I would hope a trained police force would have a better eye for this sort of thing than the average joe on a message board.

As far as a right to protest ending when it infringes on the right to free movement. . . where did you get that from? There are plenty of protests that muck up the movement for the rest of the population.

+1

Clueless

What a shocker.......The stop had nothing to do about race or an equipment violation. It is too bad the media, including Marcus and our great Mr Dayton, can't be charged with inciting a riot and for the murders of the Officers in Texas, for not checking the facts before airing or writing their stories. The inaccurate media accounts about what happen led to the shootings in Texas and injuries of Officers here in St Paul.

Marcus, I hope you are proud of yourself for fanning the flames here on Gopherhole. Your clueless reporting says a lot about what type of articles readers can expect about our Gophers from you.

As far as DLguy's great advice on Police procedures, let me point a gun at you while your gun is in a holster, and let's see who shoots who first.

What a shocker.......The stop had nothing to do about race or an equipment violation. It is too bad the media, including Marcus and our great Mr Dayton, can't be charged with inciting a riot and for the murders of the Officers in Texas, for not checking the facts before airing or writing their stories. The inaccurate media accounts about what happen led to the shootings in Texas and injuries of Officers here in St Paul.

Marcus, I hope you are proud of yourself for fanning the flames here on Gopherhole. Your clueless reporting says a lot about what type of articles readers can expect about our Gophers from you.

As far as DLguy's great advice on Police procedures, let me point a gun at you while your gun is in a holster, and let's see who shoots who first.

You are wrong here. You are blaming two people because a crazy person shot police officers at a peaceful rally? This guy was former military and had been planning an event for a while.

There are very legitimate reasons for peaceful protests to happen. Try imaging that the guy killed in Baton Rouge or Falcon Heights was your brother or friend.

Or think about the number of civilians killed by police officers (360 this year alone I believe) being at an all time high. Is this what we want for our society?

What a shocker.......The stop had nothing to do about race or an equipment violation. It is too bad the media, including Marcus and our great Mr Dayton, can't be charged with inciting a riot and for the murders of the Officers in Texas, for not checking the facts before airing or writing their stories. The inaccurate media accounts about what happen led to the shootings in Texas and injuries of Officers here in St Paul. Marcus, I hope you are proud of yourself for fanning the flames here on Gopherhole. Your clueless reporting says a lot about what type of articles readers can expect about our Gophers from you. As far as DLguy's great advice on Police procedures, let me point a gun at you while your gun is in a holster, and let's see who shoots who first.

First, I never said the officer can't have his weapon drawn, I am saying they shouldn't fire unless there is a real actual threat. Guessing someone might be reaching for a weapon is not an excuse to shoot. This may not be the case here, but the only information we currently have is that no weapon was actually visible. Unless you want to make other assumptions.

And Marcus responsible for any violence is beyond absurd. He asked a question on whether the coaches should talk to their athletes. Which would be a responsible thing to do. Do you blame video games for violence too?

So, let me get this straight. Marcus raised a question on Twitter asking if players should be talked to regarding a policing incident and how it impacts/ effects them and he is a bad guy? My guess is if we are still discussing this very event, we may have made Marcus's point.

"〽️ImaShowEm〽️ @MelloYllw21: Crazy hearing the black men in the locker room rn. We are legit scared. Falco Heights is right up the street from us...."

"De'Vondre Campbell @Came_Along_Way
These last two police incidents are the exact reason why when I'm done playing Football I'm moving out this country"

"Marcus R. Fuller @GophersNow
Should #Gophers address how their athletes feel about potential interaction with police after #FalconHeights shooting? Appears to be concern
8:35 AM - 7 Jul 2016"

Regarding DLguy's point, who says a gun was already pointed at the officer?

First, I never said the officer can't have his weapon drawn, I am saying they shouldn't fire unless there is a real actual threat. Guessing someone might be reaching for a weapon is not an excuse to shoot. This may not be the case here, but the only information we currently have is that no weapon was actually visible. Unless you want to make other assumptions.

And Marcus responsible for any violence is beyond absurd. He asked a question on whether the coaches should talk to their athletes. Which would be a responsible thing to do. Do you blame video games for violence too?

Sorry for basically duplicating your response. I was already in the process of posting before I saw yours.

Marcus did nothing wrong, he was reacting to others on social media and I am sure the University Administration is having conversations about how to address this with the student body and giving students a venue to voice their opinions as well. Dialogue should always be encouraged, can't solve any issues if people don't come together and listen to one another.

What you actually said was "and is being pointed in a threatening way". It is flat out STUPID to wait for the gun to be pointed before taking action. If someone pulls a gun in that situation you shoot them, plain and simple. It's not a case of "drop your gun".

Top Bottom