Mar’Keise Irving enters the transfer portal

Should have just let Mo go and thanked him for his service. The ramifications of bringing back someone coming off a torn Achilles have been pretty sever.
That's a Frosty move bro, not a Fleck maneuver and not our culture, Thank you Very Much. Loyalty to your players is key and Mo has earned the right to try again.

I'm not worried about losing this specific player, as we already have Zach coming in this year and another stud next year with Demarius.

For Pete's Sake, he gained almost 1K in all purpose yards in his Freshman year and it is not unfathomable that either Mo or Trey won't be the same player as before, get hurt again or they decide to lighten thier load and use a more true multi-back rotation.

I appreciate this service last year, but as far as I'm concerned, he can go row in some other lakes.
Of course I have no idea if either would have stayed if Mo did leave.
You got this part right; your supposition is based on conjecture.

To me, this is on Fleck.

He doesnt dare pull players that he sees as his sons or something.

He probably anointed Mo as the starter despite not knowing how he’ll be once hes fully back and made Potts #2 bc of his courage to come back.

Just like he wouldnt pull Morgan despite playing like crap.
Disagree, a lot. IMO after last season Bucky wants to be THE guy somewhere this year and it wasn't gonna happen here. For all we know he might be thinking he's a 3 year college player and he wants to rack up as many stats as possible to help his draft status.

That's a Frosty move bro, not a Fleck maneuver and not our culture, Thank you Very Much. Loyalty to your players is key and Mo has earned the right to try again.

I'm not worried about losing this specific player, as we already have Zach coming in this year and another stud next year with Demarius.

For Pete's Sake, he gained almost 1K in all purpose yards in his Freshman year and it is not unfathomable that either Mo or Trey won't be the same player as before, get hurt again or they decide to lighten thier load and use a more true multi-back rotation.

I appreciate this service last year, but as far as I'm concerned, he can go row in some other lakes.

You got this part right; your supposition is based on conjecture.
In the world of the transfer portal this is a business plan and simple. Who has more upside to help you now? Two young running backs that were good in 2021 or an older running back coming off a torn Achilles?

I’ll take that bet. First game of the year Mo will get 30 carries or more.
I'll take the under on that. The offense will be more balanced with KC back.

In three years as coordinator KC only gave a RB 30 carries twice. Once in 2017 when we had no passing game, and then Mo in the bowl game against GT in 2018. None in 2019. That's spread out over 38 games.

Sanford had a RB carry the ball 30+ times in 5 games over two years, and Thomas was 1 carry short of making it 6 last season, spread over 20 games.

In the world of the transfer portal this is a business plan and simple.
To some extent maybe, but that's not PJ's vibe obviously.
Who has more upside to help you now?
Unknown - TBD Grasshopper
Two young running backs that were good in 2021 or an older running back coming off a torn Achilles?
Who was the B10 back of the year previously and Potts who was leading the B10 in rushing before he got hurt.

You have ZERO idea of why they transferred - it certainly wasn't for lack of seeing the field last season and if you looked at it last year, both of them had less chance to contribute than for this upcoming season.

I and Fleck believe in loyalty and you don't - very myopic viewpoint, so maybe you need to move from the "Parking Lot"

OR

you're a piss and moaner and would be flapping them keys if Mo left

In three years as coordinator KC only gave a RB 30 carries twice. Once in 2017 when we had no passing game, and then Mo in the bowl game against GT in 2018. None in 2019. That's spread out over 38 games.

Sanford had a RB carry the ball 30+ times in 5 games over two years, and Thomas was 1 carry short of making it 6 last season, spread over 20 games.
Excellent Data and Forecast!

Agree with this, if we need Mo carrying 30+ times week 1 coming off an Achilles injury then Fleck hasn't changed his best and heaven please help us beat NM St. and ol' Jer because we're in a dog fight! After all the "I failed" talk from PJ I'm counting on the Gophers covering the spread week 1.

And this is based on you seeing what they do every day at practice or just Athan being the shiny new toy?
This is based on what I've seen from the current starting qb..... Based upon what *albeit limited* film released on Athan. But he's an upgrade in pure qb physical abilities across the board over our current starter... I don't make the decisions so my point is like a cows opinion... It's moo

Potts & Ky Thomas are solid, but limited athletically. Irving was the best of the 3 and this is a huge loss. I’d like to ask the HC how this kid decided to walk out the door at this point. Retaining your good players is every bit as important as signing them.
That’s a good opinion. I don’t think he fits the MN RB mold like the other’s. He obviously sees a better future/ fit elsewhere and Evans must be impressive.

This is based on what I've seen from the current starting qb..... Based upon what *albeit limited* film released on Athan. But he's an upgrade in pure qb physical abilities across the board over our current starter... I don't make the decisions so my point is like a cows opinion... It's moo
We’ll see how it all unfolds, but there is a solid QB room this year to carry us under Coach C being back at OC.

Potts & Ky Thomas are solid, but limited athletically. Irving was the best of the 3 and this is a huge loss. I’d like to ask the HC how this kid decided to walk out the door at this point. Retaining your good players is every bit as important as signing them.

Irving also has his limits. He is quick and shifty, but he also lacks an extra gear in open space. I still think Bryce Williams is the fastest back on this team.

Really liked Bucky when he was on the field. Seemed like he had that second and even third bounce to let the holes develop and scoot through.

Since he's originally from the Chicago area we know it's not the weather. Wishing him good luck from here.

Well that’s not good…

If Mo is close to the same guy MN will be fine. Same for Potts. If the guys stay healthy this spring, summer, fall. A lot of ifs and buts and hopes but I suppose that’s always the case. Pretty hard to predict when a guy is coming off achilles repair, and another guy with season-ending injury that caused Ryan Burns to go into hyperbolics about ever playing football again.

If the freshman is as advertised…no worries. Transfer portal if something goes sideways. Latest a player can transfer and still play in the fall? Prior to starting fall classes?

Based on history of RBs who tore their achilles, odds aren't good that Mo will be the same.

I don't understand the worry about Potts returning to his old form. The injury (whatever it was) was not a knee, ankle, shoulder or anything else that would affect his abilities as a running back. Whatever it was, he's obviously been given the all clear to return to football. He was leading the Big10 in rushing when he got hurt. I think we'll be fine. This one does hurt though, because I was looking forward to what Kirk could do with Bucky's unique skillset.

This is disappointing but overall we'll be just fine. RB is one of the easiest positions to recruit, and this staff does it at a high level.
I think the replacements for Ky and Bucky—both of whom we’ll truly miss—are already known. Evans in this year’s class and one maybe two in the 2023 class. The problem with Mo, Trey and Bryce all going down last year is that both Ky and Bucky learned they were able to start and contribute. Perhaps they weren’t ready to go back to partial roles in 2022 while Mo, Trey and Bryce take the snaps they have earned by their strengths and years in the system. The fact that we will run a balanced offense under KC (no more 70% running plays) means fewer chances to get in the field for Bucky if Mo, Trey and Bryce are all healthy. Plus, with more passing plays being called, the RBs will be called upon to block blitzes. Ky was an extremely effective and willing blocker; Bucky, at 190 or so, didn’t seem as effective in this aspect. We recruit RBs well. The RBs in the 2022 and 2023 class, and perhaps a surprise like w/o position-change Jordan Nubin, will find a lot of playing time come 2023. Good things come to those who wait their turn.

Disagree, a lot. IMO after last season Bucky wants to be THE guy somewhere this year and it wasn't gonna happen here. For all we know he might be thinking he's a 3 year college player and he wants to rack up as many stats as possible to help his draft status.
We are disappointed, of course. But, I get the players' perspective. I wish them the best.

Chris Streveler made it into the CFL and the NFL by transferring. Players will be drafted from anywhere if they are that good. They need playing time to showcase their talents. I think Ky Thomas and Mar'Quies Irving can be successful either way.

I am not too worried. Gopher Football as a program is stable. They are adapting to the NIL and the Transfer Portal realities. We often forget that there are 98-102 other players that the program serves well.

We are waiting for the next multi-millionaires that never saw the playing field in their time to come out and shower Gopher Athletics and the University with their contributions.

Last edited:

Sanford seemed to want to ride one horse into the ground (despite having a wealth of talent at the RB position). I bet KC will utilize a rotation that keeps the RBs fresh and doesn’t beg for injuries by successive weeks of punishing over-use of a single RB. I personally would love to see a three-headed monster backfield of Mo, Trey and Bryce. It would be like the 2019 backfield of Rodney, Shannon and Mo. Ton of experience; varied skill sets; no over-utilization.

Last edited:

Ky did not have the break-away speed, and Bucky was much more elusive. I think Bucky was better, but I did like Ky.
IMHO, these are good players we are losing. Mo and Potts for coming back is a testament to the coaches, the trainers, and the system. Mo is a great player. The glass is half-full. There may be greater RBs out there that are coming or will come here.

Like the NFL, RBs can be replaced if you have the guys on the OL to make their job easy. If we can get guys to open holes up front it won't matter as much if it's Mo/ Potts/ Williams/ Irving (not anymore obviously)/ Evans (who could be in line for a huge role when Mo and Potts are done) behind them
The Offensive and Defensive lines are critical. We don't want to be in the habit of losing them.

Top Bottom