Local media appears unanimous: Brewster must go!

"And there hasn't been a single offseason or game in which he doesn't look like he's in over his head"

Not a single game? During the 7-1 start last year you thought that he looked over his head in the games against Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Indiana and Illinois? Even in the loss to Wisconsin last year, where injuries rather then coaching screw-ups, seemed to be the major cause of defeat? Granted his teams haven't came-up with a big upset and they've lost games they could have won. Something that could go hand in hand with lack of stability and until recently on Defense, a killer lack of depth.

The first year and this year on Offense , they do look at least, out of their depth. I think the idea that they could "coach them up" and install a Pro Style read Offense :eek:, was a major reach. They ended-up depending on a battered and disheartened QB and a bunch of receivers closer to 18 years old then 22.

I would submit that in a state where even the worst Gopher Coach of the last 17 years had a team that could put points on the board, not doing so is what has soured the Gopher public. They've learned to accept, almost EXPECT a defense that gets banged around. Expecting a lousy offense is unforgivable to them.

If you factor in the lousy Offense in five of the last 7 games, the Defense in the last seven games excluding Ohio State, was better then we've seen around here since 1999. They gave up yards because they were always out there. They gave up a lot of points because of the field position they were given. The Special Team breakdown was limited to the Illinois and Michigan State games. It's only really the Offense that has fans wanting to push Brewster out the door. To hell with what the Media wants.

No, IMHO, lack of Depth did and "freshmen" Coaching did them in 2007 Lack of depth killed them again when injuries started building in the Northwestern game last year. This year it's possible that trying to implement a "Pro Level" Offense with middle of the road or to young, Big Ten players killed them again. Players who were far more suited to a spread or "run and gun" system were trying to "read a defense" or "hammer the ball down their throats".

The question revolves then again around Dunbar. People have speculated and whined continually if Brewster has shown Maturi "the proper respect". This mainly stemming from a disputed argument in front of players about an administrative issue. If an issue like that is so volatile and the stories are true about Dunbar and Brewster's relationship, what was Brewster suppose to do with Mr.Dunbar? A guy who supposedly disrespected Brewster on a regular basis. Something Dunbar's previous Head Coaches also complained about.

The state of the Offense may revolve around that single question: What should Brewster have done about Dunbar?

Did you guys hear that Maroon added someone to his ignore list!?!? I'm with ya DPO, its one thing to ignore someone (kind of lame), its another to broadcast it like you are hurting someone's feelings or something.

First of all, it was a joke. And secondly, how is what you're doing here any different? You guys really need to lighten up.

1899...Good question. Lots of threads could be extinguished if that would happen.

Ever think that the local media might know more then they are letting on to in the public? Big difference between on the record stuff and off the record stuff. And it might be that people in the local media are verifying off the record information they have heard in the last few months before they go to press with the facts. Who will verify it first?

Here's the thing, and this could be another basis for the media's obvious dislike of Brewster, who gets interviews with him? Who's inner circle with the Gophers program?
Who among the TC media has off the record access to him? I wouldn't be suprised if he's shut out alot of his detractors.
It's pretty well known the media can be vindictive when it comes to restricted access, if he's basically told people who write or say negative things about the program to suck it, of course there's going to be backlash.
Sid talks to him, Mike Max, Rosen, Youngblood, Fuller, maybe Brewer? Conzemius?. Other than that who is close enough to the program to get off the record stuff? And who might get peeved if they're shot down. I can think of a few.

I apologize for touching a nerve with some of you.

The matter-a-factly way in which people talk about Brewster's lack of coaching acumen is a bit disturbing. I'm not saying they're right, but I'm curious as to what people really think is up with this team. I like Brewster and I would hope he succeeds, but man, the doubters are certainly sure of themselves. I agree he deserves another season at least.

Meister,

I recall Reusse writing/talking about an early season practice in Mason's first year about how different and superior this staff was to Wacker's. He used to hammer Wacker about how he was in over his head and that with Mason they now have a REAL coach. Well, Wacker despite his excited gibberish did know what he was doing. He had a number of high quality assistants who went on to bigger jobs over the years. He ultimately wasn't successful here but did know what he was doing and Reusse lambasted him. Then shortly after Mason's first year, Reusse turned on him and criticized him for bad in-game decisions, lazy and lousy recruiting, wimpy schedule and overall arrogance. Not to mention the criticism the local media gave about Mason's explanations about how difficult the Minnesota job is and that it is a constant rebuilding job. He hammerred on Mason.

Enter Brewster, and Reusse et al pound on him for trying to tout the tradition and change the recent culture about Gopher football and try to raise expectations and INTEREST! Who is being duped here? We should be supporting Brewster for taking on KFAN and Reusse and all the other non objective hypocrites.

"And there hasn't been a single offseason or game in which he doesn't look like he's in over his head"

Not a single game? During the 7-1 start last year you thought that he looked over his head in the games against Bowling Green, Florida Atlantic, Indiana and Illinois? Even in the loss to Wisconsin last year, where injuries rather then coaching screw-ups, seemed to be the major cause of defeat? Granted his teams haven't came-up with a big upset and they've lost games they could have won. Something that could go hand in hand with lack of stability and until recently on Defense, a killer lack of depth.

The first year and this year on Offense , they do look at least, out of their depth. I think the idea that they could "coach them up" and install a Pro Style read Offense :eek:, was a major reach. They ended-up depending on a battered and disheartened QB and a bunch of receivers closer to 18 years old then 22.

I would submit that in a state where even the worst Gopher Coach of the last 17 years had a team that could put points on the board, not doing so is what has soured the Gopher public. They've learned to accept, almost EXPECT a defense that gets banged around. Expecting a lousy offense in unforgivable to them.

If you factor in the lousy Offense in five of the last 7 games, the Defense in the last seven games excluding Ohio State, was better then we've seen around here since 1999. They gave up yards because they were always out there. They gave up a lot of points because of the field position they were given. The Special Team breakdown was limited to the Illinois and Michigan State games. It's only really the Offense that has fans wanting to push Brewster out the door. To hell with what the Media wants.

No, IMHO, lack of Depth did and "freshmen" Coaching did them in 2007 Lack of depth killed them again when injuries started building in the Northwestern game last year. This year it's possible that trying to implement a "Pro Level" Offense with middle of the road or to young, Big Ten players killed them again. Players who were far more suited to a spread or "run and gun" system were trying to "read a defense" or "hammer the ball down their throats".

The question revolves then again around Dunbar. People have speculated and whined continually if Brewster has shown Maturi "the proper respect". This mainly stemming from a disputed argument in front of players about an administrative issue. If an issue like that is so volatile and the stories are true about Dunbar and Brewster's relationship, what was Brewster suppose to do with Mr.Dunbar? A guy who supposedly disrespected Brewster on a regular basis. Something Dunbar's previous Head Coaches also complained about.

The state of the Offense may revolve around that single question: What should Brewster have done about Dunbar?

Great post. Good to see some critical thinking around here.

I would submit that in a state where even the worst Gopher Coach of the last 17 years had a team that could put points on the board, not doing so is what has soured the Gopher public. They've learned to accept, almost EXPECT a defense that gets banged around. Expecting a lousy offense in unforgivable to them.

Yes, Brewster has looked in over his head in every single game, even the wins. A lot of Brewster supporters point out that he's more hands-off and that the assistants run the show on game day. I can agree with that. But then what does that leave for Brewster to do on game day? Time-outs, that's pretty much it. And when that's all he has to do, he's been embarrassingly bad at it since day one. That's just one example of what I'm talking about when I say he's in over his head.

These are the two greatest questions ever posed on this message board. Of course, they're unanswerable by a Brewster Backer, but that's what makes them so great.

I'll take a shot, and I guess I would call myself a Brewster backer.

1. Why coordinators get the blame and Brewster is exempt?

I certainly don't think Brewster is exempt, but just watching the play calls this year with Fisch and the last two with Dunbar it is hard not to place a fair amount of blame on them. Dunbar, with all of his experience, seemed to be trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Perhaps with more time and players to better fit the system, he would have had better results. But, after the last few games last year I think it was clear that something had to be done. Interestingly, there did not seem to be a lot of disappointment on this board when he was canned.

Fisch, on the other hand, seems like he just does not have a good plan of what he wants to do. Perhaps he was unprepared for this job. Perhaps he is in over his head. Or, perhaps he is just inexperienced and will get better. Regardless, he definitely did struggle this year.

Brewster is not at all immune to blame. He hired these guys. He had control over the system this team would run. I certainly blame Brew for the general lack of discipline and the high number of penalties.

The hire of Dunbar did look like a "kill shot" at the time, and did not work out well at all after two years, so Brewster moved on. Should Brewster be blamed or applauded?

If you want to blame Brew for the offensive woes, do you give him credit for the defense's relative success despite having three coordinators in three years?

2. Why there is all this talk about how people have to be patient with Brew? If he can see in two years that his O Coordinator isn't going to get it done, it's OK for him to pull the plug, but yet fans are supposed to continue to be patient?

I guess this is partly answered above, but Dunbar's offense went downhill from year 1 to year 2, and downhill within year 2 as well. The offense was killing the defense last year with the constant 3 and outs. Had things not changed, Brewster could have been under even more heat this year. I think he looked at it and decided that after two years the spread was not what he envisioned it would be, and decided a more balanced attack would be a better for this program.

This year was not much better on offense, possibly worse. Could that have been predicted? Many on this board were very happy to hear that we would be implementing a pro-style offense, and had an NFL and former Florida asst to run it.

You don't have to be patient with Brew, but at least be realistic. It has been three years, we are going to a bowl for the second consecutive year. The talent and depth on this team is improved. Despite Brew's supposedly horrible coaching we were at one point last year 7-1 and ranked, and this year we were possibly a Wisconsin win away from being ranked.

I would love if we were a 10-win team already. We're not, but we are not a bottom-feeder either. If next year we are 6-6 again, I will be much less optimistic. But until then, I still think that we can be very good with Brew as our coach.

The poll that was on here last week asking about the state of the program had 209 repsondents, 109 of whom (54%) voted that the program was in better shape than when Brew arrived. Forty-two, or 21%, voted that the program was in worse shape. So, Maroon and anonymous, before I am put on the ignore list I ask-What were your expectations after three years?

The media is treating Brewster exactly the way they treated Jim Wacker after he had been here a few years. The local media doesn't take kindly to people who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

I do not get why some people believe Brewster is above any criticism that he is receiving. His offense is horrible and is getting worse each year. He has shuffled coordinators and schemes around so the team looks more and more confused on offense. This makes it look like he does not have a plan and he does not know what he is doing. After three years we still do not know if he can coach.

One thing that drives the media crazy is Brewster talks a lot of smack and does not back it up. It is one thing to be positive, but he should try to be a little more realistic because people aren't buying it anymore. I have said and continue to say you have to give the guy another year, but if Maturi found a home run hire, I would pull the trigger right now. If you give him another year, I am almost positive things will be a little clearer on what we need to do. I don't think he needs to win "x" amount of games, I just need to see a significant improvement especially on offense to make me believe he is the right guy for the job.

Here is what Brew should say:

My players have no chance of ever winning in MLB
My players never have a chance of going to the [I]World Series;[/I]
My players just do not understand the game of baseball;
I am the most pessemistic man in Minnesota;
A new stadium will not help us;

We just are currently not a very good team and we probably never will be.

With the bolded updates, these quotes could have been made by Tom Kelly in any season from about 1994-2000. For the most part he was right, why sling a bunch of BS trying to make it seem otherwise? He actually gave the last quote almost verbatum once in Spring Training.

Yes, Brewster has looked in over his head in every single game, even the wins. A lot of Brewster supporters point out that he's more hands-off and that the assistants run the show on game day. I can agree with that. But then what does that leave for Brewster to do on game day? Time-outs, that's pretty much it. And when that's all he has to do, he's been embarrassingly bad at it since day one. That's just one example of what I'm talking about when I say he's in over his head.

Fair enough. No point is disagreeing with an opinion. You honestly believe that he's been in over his head in every game so, without much of a leap, you've wanted him gone for most, if not all of his tenure. Again, I assume for the good of the program.

You know if you would have just stated a long time ago that you just want him gone it would have saved people a lot of trouble thinking you were a little more open minded!:D:horse::horse::horse:...indeed!

With the bolded updates, these quotes could have been made by Tom Kelly in any season from about 1994-2000. For the most part he was right, why sling a bunch of BS trying to make it seem otherwise? He actually gave the last quote almost verbatum once in Spring Training.

I think Pro's are a little different as many players will go where the money is no matter how bad a team is (although some pro's aren't that way as I've heard Mauer wants to play for a winner). Do you think if Brewster spoke like TK did that recruits would be lining up wanting to sign for a coach that said the teams going to stink?

I think Pro's are a little different as many players will go where the money is no matter how bad a team is (although some pro's aren't that way as I've heard Mauer wants to play for a winner). Do you think if Brewster spoke like TK did that recruits would be lining up wanting to sign for a coach that said the teams going to stink?

I don't actually think Brew should be down as TK was of course. I don't even care if he thinks contant optimism is what works best with the recruits. I do think he needs to tone it down a notch (actuall several notches) with the media. Saying you 'couldn't be more pleased' with direction of the program following two games where you couldn't score a touchdown isn't going to illicit anything other then an eye roll or worse.

Gopherbeef,

I don't know what my expectations were in Year 3 to be honest. I guess I would like to see some more evidence of players getting better, the team making strides and some reason to hope for better in the future.

I will acknowledge that they are improving on the defensive side of the ball. But on the offensive side of the ball, I see constant confusion, numerous changes and no real philosophy of what Brewster stands for. That lack of concrete philosophy makes it tough for me to truly believe he is the right guy.

Fair enough. No point is disagreeing with an opinion. You honestly believe that he's been in over his head in every game so, without much of a leap, you've wanted him gone for most, if not all of his tenure. Again, I assume for the good of the program.

You know if you would have just stated a long time ago that you just want him gone it would have saved people a lot of trouble thinking you were a little more open minded!:D:horse::horse::horse:...indeed!

I haven't wanted him gone since day one. I've wanted him gone since late this year when he continues to make the same blunders that he did on day one. I was hoping that it was just due to him being a new head coach. I cut him some slack. A lot of slack. But he seems to be getting worse in some respects. If he can't figure out how and when to call a time-out and when not to after three years, I just don't have a lot of faith in him ever turning the program around.

And all this talk about bowl games is great, but I just don't consider it "noteworthy" when you accomplish something that more than half the teams playing do as well. I have higher expectations. My expectations are probably on par with Brewster's state goal when he got here. Unfortunately, we're no closer to achieving those goals and I have seen no indication that we've even made any strides.

Gopherbeef,

I don't know what my expectations were in Year 3 to be honest. I guess I would like to see some more evidence of players getting better, the team making strides and some reason to hope for better in the future.

I will acknowledge that they are improving on the defensive side of the ball. But on the offensive side of the ball, I see constant confusion, numerous changes and no real philosophy of what Brewster stands for. That lack of concrete philosophy makes it tough for me to truly believe he is the right guy.

Thanks a lot for the response. I really don't disagree with you on any of these points. I guess I am just more optimistic that with time, improved talent, and stability some of these problems will work themselves out.

Without a doubt- I, too, am disappointed that we have not progressed further than we are now. Next year with an offense that returns a bunch of people, a defense that should at least have a lot of talent if not returning starters, and hopefully a coaching staff that has learned from past mistakes, we could begin to show the progress you desire. If not, I may be sharing your opinion.

Also the topic of Brewster changing the offensive scheme for a second time. While it's fair to raise question about it, I will say in just the past couple years teams are getting more and more used to defending the spread and have become better at it. I think all can agree when Brewster was hired that the spread was the up and comming offense. Now should of Brewster knew that? Everyone has their own opinion on that.

I do think even with the coaching changes on defense the same idea has been used with the fast LB's and Big DL's and since many of you are faulting Brew for the changes in schemes on offense, you have to them give him the credit for the defense and hiring coordinators to fit his plan.

Please remember even coaches that have won National Championships such as Tom Osborne have switched coaching schemes. I'm old I remember his 5-2 defense haha

First you say:

2. Why there is all this talk about how people have to be patient with Brew? If he can see in two years that his O Coordinator isn't going to get it done, it's OK for him to pull the plug, but yet fans are supposed to continue to be patient?

Then you say:

For the record, I'm not sure he should be fired.

It sounds like you're one of those people with the contradictory views. My rationale for that is that Brewster must have come to the conclusion that Dunbar wasn't going to work out. So he fired him. But some people (me, anyway) have not yet reached the conclusion that Brewster won't get it done. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

It may have been mentioned elsewhere but what is the word on Brewster's relationships with his assistant coaches? Does his staff like him? I'm just wondering how much of the turnover, if any, is because they don't get along with him.

1. He scrapped his offensive philosophy after only two seasons and went in a very different direction. That, at least to me, shows a guy who has no strong philosophy in how he wants his team to play. He recruited players for the spread and now is more pro-style. That, I think rightly, can be interpreted as Brew being a coach who is in over his head.

Brewster didn't deliberately scrap the spread, dummy. If Brewster's intention was to scrap the spread, why do you suppose some of the guys that he offered before Fisch -- Josh Heupel, Major Applewhite, and Dana Holgerson -- were all spread guys? Brewster clearly hired Fisch because he thought he was that Fisch was the best OC that he could find, not because he desired a drastic change in scheme.

And what exactly is Jim Tressel's philosophy on offense? First he runs a pro style offense, then he switches to a spread, then back to a pro style offense, and now . . . ?

I don't actually think Brew should be down as TK was of course. I don't even care if he thinks contant optimism is what works best with the recruits. I do think he needs to tone it down a notch (actuall several notches) with the media. Saying you 'couldn't be more pleased' with direction of the program following two games where you couldn't score a touchdown isn't going to illicit anything other then an eye roll or worse.

Great post and I think you make a great point at toning it down a notch at times. Like you mentioned after a loss I wish he would just say the old cliche stuff such as "we have always have stuff to work on" and "both teams played hard but they were the better team today."

However no matter how good or bad the gophs are playing I still want to see him get fired up and enthusiastic before games (especially the rivalry games). This is just my opinion but a football coach at the U needs to get pumped about getting the chance (I know badger fans will make a joke about this) to bring home a trophy (even that dorky bell) or else they need a job change.

If the media's attitude was positive and turned negative, maybe I'd put more credence into what they have to say. The reality is that they were negative from day one and continue to be no matter what happens. Their effort look more like a campaign than journalism.

The media has blown their own credibility.

If the media's attitude was positive and turned negative, maybe I'd put more credence into what they have to say. The reality is that they were negative from day one and continue to be no matter what happens. Their effort look more like a campaign than journalism.

The media has blown their own credibility.

When you say day one, you mean of the Brewster era, or when?

The main problem with this is you're listening to Bob Sansavere. The guy knows the Vikings. That's it. He spends more time on watching every movie ever released and travelling around the country to attend minature horse shows than he does on actually covering the other sports in this market.

One thing that drives the media crazy is Brewster talks a lot of smack and does not back it up. It is one thing to be positive, but he should try to be a little more realistic because people aren't buying it anymore. I have said and continue to say you have to give the guy another year, but if Maturi found a home run hire, I would pull the trigger right now. If you give him another year, I am almost positive things will be a little clearer on what we need to do. I don't think he needs to win "x" amount of games, I just need to see a significant improvement especially on offense to make me believe he is the right guy for the job.

I won't say a whole lot about Brewster as this has been talked about a million times already.

I agree with most of the last 2/3's of your post. He should get another year and by next November, you either fire him or give him an extension. Next season is make or break for him.

As for the first two sentences: I find it funny how fans and the media make such a big deal about how positive he is and how he has big goals. I think Brewster understands that he is always recruiting. Even if it is a press conference, current players, recruits and their parents hear what he says. All I care about is what players, recruits and their parents think of him. You hear it all the time when a guy commits or signs; they love Brewster and the coaches staff's enthusiasm and how he talks about winning a Big Ten championship. As fans we may just think he is a blowhard (and maybe he is) but this attitude seems to help the recruiting.

I understand the criticism of his on-field coaching, and coordinator decisions, but not this. I think the media hates guys like Brewster who likes to be positive. We know many in the media would rather write about something negative than writing a "feel-good" story.

They are all to blame, but if Brewster is a hands off kind of head coach, which makes sense since he's never been a coordinator, the scheme is the coordinator's to handle.

Then a "hands off" head coach who has never been a coordinator should not hire an offensive coordinator who has never been an offensive coordinator. Pretty simple. Maybe Fisch can implement 500 more hand signals before the bowl game....the QBs can learn them inbetween finals.

The reality is that they were negative from day one and continue to be no matter what happens.

Well day one did turn into the worst season in the history of Gopher football so when were they supposed to be positive? 7-1 ... they were positive. 6-11 since ... not so much.

Then a "hands off" head coach who has never been a coordinator should not hire an offensive coordinator who has never been an offensive coordinator. Pretty simple. Maybe Fisch can implement 500 more hand signals before the bowl game....the QBs can learn them inbetween finals.

Fisch was a risk, but had a good track record and had the recommendation of Shanahan.
He wasn't the first choice, but obviously offered more than the other potential candidates.
He has really struggled to implement an NFL level offense here, I don't have a problem with the hand signals, but the schemes have been too complicated, all the reads and pre snap adjustments have killed the flow.

At some point you need bread and butter plays to fall back on and build from. IMO this is the reason Hoese got those hated back to back carries in the iowa game, that play has gotten alot of first downs all year, it's one of the few that have worked time after time. What others can you think of? The bowl game offensive plan needs to be simple and well done, and the playbook needs to be trimmed down extensively from here on out. Be vanilla until vanilla gets you 3-4 yards on runs and 7-15 on passes(this could take awhile with our line), then add in the tricks and misdirection and read plays. Fisch came into this job expecting a level of football understanding from the players similar to what he taught in the NFL, it is very obvious that hasn't worked, hopefully a simplified playbook combined with maturing players will improve execution.

Well day one did turn into the worst season in the history of Gopher football so when were they supposed to be positive? 7-1 ... they were positive. 6-11 since ... not so much.

Patrick didn't waste ANY time going after Brewster. Ruesse ripped him right after the Press Conference introducing Brewster as the new Head Coach.:eek: That led to Brewster famously asking "who IS this guy"? ;)

Top Bottom