Local media appears unanimous: Brewster must go!

gophmeister

Reaction score
I just listened to Bob Sansevere's audio blog on PPress website. Sansevere asked the panel about the head coaching potential of the vikings' coordinators. It turned into a dicussion of would any of them consider coaching the gophers. They said the D coordinator wouldn't want to coach college, but that Bevell may consider coaching in the college ranks, but they weren't sure. The quote I found most stunning was, "the smartest thing for Maturi to do is to fire Brewster and move on." Is it really that bad? Remember, these were the vikings' beat writers talking. I would suggest that they were pretty objective about the situation. I haven't heard anyone (Sid doesn't count) in the media speak one word of support for Brewster. Even during the darkest days of the Wacker era there were still some who said he deserved more time. Three years into his tenure, people were not calling for him to be fired en masse so to speak.

I really don't subscribe to the notion that the media is against the gophers, but I do think they take some unfair jabs at times. But that's life. However, it seems Brewster has not impressed the media or a good percentage of the fans. It's easy to say it's the coach's fault, but Brew really hasn't won convincingly, so I can understand why people are talking. In all honesty, we could have easily been 1-10 or 2-9. Syracuse and Air Force took us to the final minutes and Nothwestern and Michigan State were close games too until the end. We played absolutely terrible versus Illinois before storming back. I tried to find a silver lining in the close win over SDSU, but there really was none. They won too ugly for it to be considered anything but a loss.

Here are my questions.

Why does it seem that Brewster doesn't have his act together coachingwise to so many observers?

Hypothetically speaking would Bevell come in with a lot of credibility with the locals? Does that benefit the program? Does the gopher nation like the idea of a badger as a head coach?

Does anyone get the feeling the bowl could be Brew's last as head coach? How ugly would he have to lose?

If he wins the bowl against a perceived superior opponent does he get his contract extend or is his reward keeping his job?

If he goes, any bright suggestions about who to hire?

Other than Sid, who in the local media had anything good to say about Glen Mason? They all hated him too.

I don't know why it is, but the local media sure does seem to have something against the Gophers.

"In all honesty, we could have easily been 1-10 or 2-9."

Or in all honesty 8-4 and 5-3 in the Big Ten because of the 3 point losses to Wisconsin and Illinois.

But please continue, to paraphrase: how can the people in the media enter into a herd mentality to rid themselves of a Coach who they personally detest? Even if he coaches a team that they haven't cared about for years, one that they hardly watch and don't know much about?

No idea, but this must be the 300th post addressing the issue. :horse::horse::horse::horse:

If the media's unanimously for firing Brewster, it's pretty obvious that it would be the wrong decision.

Hey, complain to the media. They're the ones who are continuing to drive this.

If the TC media speaks and noone is listening would it make a sound?

If you don't post about some TC Media person stating Brewster will be fired would you get a reply post wondering about whether we were done with this for awhile?

If the media's unanimously for firing Brewster, it's pretty obvious that it would be the wrong decision.

Thank you for a speck of sanity, and coming with a touch of humor as well. Nicely done. Now as to Gophmeister, surely you have the ability to see further than what you've written. I don't believe the TC media has a grudge against the Gophers either, but what they do have is an easy target when they want to ramp up emotions. Writing Gophers dirt is like lining a pan with Teflon, it's ugly as sin after sausage and peppers, but a day later you'd never know the darn thing wasn't new. I have no idea why Minnesotans are so forgiving toward the media for the nonsense they have long pulled on Gopher athletics, but it's there and pretty easy to see. As to a group of media reps who cover the Vikings being therefore objective toward Gopher football, well I can't continue, it's impossible to type while rolling on the floor. :eek:

Hmmmm, it appears that some of the local sports media is intimidated by Brewster. I wonder why?

I just listened to Bob Sansevere's audio blog on PPress website. Sansevere asked the panel about the head coaching potential of the vikings' coordinators. It turned into a dicussion of would any of them consider coaching the gophers. They said the D coordinator wouldn't want to coach college, but that Bevell may consider coaching in the college ranks, but they weren't sure. The quote I found most stunning was, "the smartest thing for Maturi to do is to fire Brewster and move on." Is it really that bad? Remember, these were the vikings' beat writers talking. I would suggest that they were pretty objective about the situation. I haven't heard anyone (Sid doesn't count) in the media speak one word of support for Brewster. Even during the darkest days of the Wacker era there were still some who said he deserved more time. Three years into his tenure, people were not calling for him to be fired en masse so to speak.

I really don't subscribe to the notion that the media is against the gophers, but I do think they take some unfair jabs at times. But that's life. However, it seems Brewster has not impressed the media or a good percentage of the fans. It's easy to say it's the coach's fault, but Brew really hasn't won convincingly, so I can understand why people are talking. In all honesty, we could have easily been 1-10 or 2-9. Syracuse and Air Force took us to the final minutes and Nothwestern and Michigan State were close games too until the end. We played absolutely terrible versus Illinois before storming back. I tried to find a silver lining in the close win over SDSU, but there really was none. They won too ugly for it to be considered anything but a loss.

Here are my questions.

Why does it seem that Brewster doesn't have his act together coachingwise to so many observers?

Hypothetically speaking would Bevell come in with a lot of credibility with the locals? Does that benefit the program? Does the gopher nation like the idea of a badger as a head coach?

Does anyone get the feeling the bowl could be Brew's last as head coach? How ugly would he have to lose?

If he wins the bowl against a perceived superior opponent does he get his contract extend or is his reward keeping his job?

If he goes, any bright suggestions about who to hire?

Sigh:rolleyes: Ok, here goes, then never bring it up again please.

Observers? You mean the idiots in the local media and the frustrated and fickle, fairweather fans?
Most even keeled "Observers" say just what should be said, His tenor has been mediocre thus far, no big wins, but deserves more time to prove himself. Try to think for yourself and ignore the talking heads, it's amazing what the world will look like when you have individual thoughts,

Bevell?! The guy is a clipboard holder for Childress and Farve, he's no frickin head coaching candidate. I suppose the recent surge of the Vikings has erased the memories of the Viking's last 2 years "kick ass offense" being that the memory of most fairweather fans in this town is about 1 game give or take. I don't really care if he's a Badger, but it sure doesn't help.

No, Brewster will be around until at least next year. If we win the bowl he probably gets an extension, if not regardless of the score he gets 1 more year. Once again, the perception of the local media is WAYYYYY off.

He's not going, if he does, look for Maturi to follow, and a new AD to come in to hire.
The program doesn't need to turnover every 3 years to have success, THIS ISN'T THE FRICKIN NFL! Until people in this town realize that stability and patience are the #1 virtues of a building program(don't hold your breath) Everyone will be clamoring for a new head coach/Ocoord/Dcoord/QB/RB/OL/DL/waterboy.

Once again, I recommend "observing" the local media, stepping back and thinking logically about the issues they bring up, then you will realize they have no clue about anything having to do with Gopher football. How many games do you think the vikings beat writers watched this year?
My guess, none.

My honest opinion on this is that the media in this town is down on Brewster for two primary reasons.

1. He scrapped his offensive philosophy after only two seasons and went in a very different direction. That, at least to me, shows a guy who has no strong philosophy in how he wants his team to play. He recruited players for the spread and now is more pro-style. That, I think rightly, can be interpreted as Brew being a coach who is in over his head.

2. His constant talking of how the Gophers are going in the right direction and them making great progress, etc., doesn't fly for very long. Media members know more than many people when they are being sold a load of BS. Brew, simply put, hasn't really backed up his talk. Remember the kill shot line? And then he hires Fisch? He has overpromised and underdelivered.

Here is what Brew should say:

My players have no chance of ever winning the Big Ten;
My players never have a chance of going to the Rose Bowl;
My players just do not understand the game of football;
My Coaching Staff worthless;
I can't recruit worth crap;
I am the most pessemistic man in Minnesota;
Our new stadium will not help us;
Our media people are great;
I read and follow all of the naysayers on GopherHole;
Fire me please so I can afford to sell my home at a loss of dollars;
We just are currently not a very good team and we probably never will be under my direction;

and more and more and more?

My honest opinion on this is that the media in this town is down on Brewster for two primary reasons.

1. He scrapped his offensive philosophy after only two seasons and went in a very different direction. That, at least to me, shows a guy who has no strong philosophy in how he wants his team to play. He recruited players for the spread and now is more pro-style. That, I think rightly, can be interpreted as Brew being a coach who is in over his head.

2. His constant talking of how the Gophers are going in the right direction and them making great progress, etc., doesn't fly for very long. Media members know more than many people when they are being sold a load of BS. Brew, simply put, hasn't really backed up his talk. Remember the kill shot line? And then he hires Fisch? He has overpromised and underdelivered.

1. Maybe, probably had more to do with Dunbar's offense sucking it up late last year, and our inability to run the ball in short yardage. I'd like to see a offensive philosophy emerge, but right now we are a team that comes in with alot of looks and doesn't execute many of them well.
Again, he's a first time head coach, he didn't come in with a philosophy, he didn't like Dunbar's, so he changed. Over his head? Maybe, but he did beat 6 other coaches this year, and 7 last year.

2. This is probably the reasoning behind the media attacks. They see a big target in his grand statements(which I like and believe are necessary), these statements grind at our Minnesotan souls, people up here just don't talk that way. The local media know that and see an easy target, especially in the face of mediocre seasons. They lambasted Childress for his bunker mentality, Tice for his jovial, meatheaded nature, Mason for his egomania, Green for his defensiveness and over the top statements. It makes their jobs easy. Which they like, because they are not particularly smart or hardworking. Rosen, Sid, and maybe this Shama guy excluded.

I don't have a problem with about 99 percent of what Brewster says, boasts and all. What I have a problem with is that through almost three full years, there's not a single noteworthy thing that he's accomplished. And there hasn't been a single offseason or game in which he doesn't look like he's in over his head. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I apologize for touching a nerve with some of you.

The matter-a-factly way in which people talk about Brewster's lack of coaching acumen is a bit disturbing. I'm not saying they're right, but I'm curious as to what people really think is up with this team. I like Brewster and I would hope he succeeds, but man, the doubters are certainly sure of themselves. I agree he deserves another season at least.

Which they like, because they are not particularly smart or hardworking. Rosen, Sid, and maybe this Shama guy excluded.

Sid? Really? I've just added another to my ignore list! :clap:

I don't have a problem with about 99 percent of what Brewster says, boasts and all. What I have a problem with is that through almost three full years, there's not a single noteworthy thing that he's accomplished. And there hasn't been a single offseason or game in which he doesn't look like he's in over his head. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Funny, I thought he's gone to consecutive bowls, improved schedule and the national perception of the program. Those must not be accomplishments worth anything.
Offseason? He's upgraded recruiting in and out of state.
I'd go ahead and ask Fitzgerald or Dantonio(two of the supposed best coaches in the Big Ten) if he was over his head when we played them this year. Or the other coaches he's beaten. They might agree with you, but then they would have to admit they are over their heads too.
It's division 1 football, nobody is in over their head.

Sid is senile, but at least had a rep for outworking people to get stories back in the day.

I've just added another to my ignore list!

Why do people keep bringing this up? Does anyone honestly think anybody else gives a sh*t about who they have on their ignore list? I mean, seriously...

Ole,

If the change was because Dunbar's offense sucked, isn't Brew partially responsible for that?

I guess I have questions about the following things:

1. Why coordinators get the blame and Brewster is exempt?

2. Why there is all this talk about how people have to be patient with Brew? If he can see in two years that his O Coordinator isn't going to get it done, it's OK for him to pull the plug, but yet fans are supposed to continue to be patient?

For the record, I'm not sure he should be fired. But I don't think he should be extended either.

2. Why there is all this talk about how people have to be patient with Brew? If he can see in two years that his O Coordinator isn't going to get it done, it's OK for him to pull the plug, but yet fans are supposed to continue to be patient?

These are the two greatest questions ever posed on this message board. Of course, they're unanswerable by a Brewster Backer, but that's what makes them so great.

Why do people keep bringing this up? Does anyone honestly think anybody else gives a sh*t about who they have on their ignore list? I mean, seriously...

Does anybody else give a crap about the fact that you don't give a crap? I mean, it's a message board. Feel free to put me on ignore! :D

Does anybody else give a crap about the fact that you don't give a crap? I mean, it's a message board. Feel free to put me on ignore! :D

It's nothing more than a tool of the weak-minded - I don't like what you have to say, so I'll stick my fingers in my ears rather than engage you in a dialogue. You're a master debater, indeed.

Funny, I thought he's gone to consecutive bowls, improved schedule and the national perception of the program. Those must not be accomplishments worth anything.
Offseason? He's upgraded recruiting in and out of state.
I'd go ahead and ask Fitzgerald or Dantonio(two of the supposed best coaches in the Big Ten) if he was over his head when we played them this year. Or the other coaches he's beaten. They might agree with you, but then they would have to admit they are over their heads too.
It's division 1 football, nobody is in over their head.

Upgrading a schedule is an accomplishment? Maybe we should hire Schnellenberger? He scheduled 3 BCS teams, including Texas, last year.

National perception of the program? When they weren't being ignored nationally - the most noteworthy thing that happened nationally was Goldy praying at Penn State.

As for accomplishments, every one you mentioned can be countered with: Rivalry game record, no signature wins, 111th ranked offense, 114th ranked rushing offense, no clue on timeout use, one of the most penalized teams in the country, 6-11 in his last 17 games, 55-0, "kill shot", "Fat Pat" twitter, "Harold Howell is one of the most dynamic player I've ever seen", etc., etc.

2007: 1-11... not one win talent but ok, whatever
2008: 7-1 ... didn't dominate, took advantage of the breaks, TO margin

2008 - since: 6-11 ... ouch

It's nothing more than a tool of the weak-minded - I don't like what you have to say, so I'll stick my fingers in my ears rather than engage you in a dialogue. You're a master debater, indeed.

Actually, it's a tool that allows me to avoid exposure to the weak-minded. I don't want to lose any brain cells by some sort of message board osmosis.

Ole,

If the change was because Dunbar's offense sucked, isn't Brew partially responsible for that?

I guess I have questions about the following things:

For the record, I'm not sure he should be fired. But I don't think he should be extended either.

He is partially responsible, however if he wanted to implement some short yardage, snap from under center packages and Dunbar refused what do you do? We were all screaming for this last year, a change needed to happen. We couldn't line up in shotgun when it's 3rd and inches anymore.

They are all to blame, but if Brewster is a hands off kind of head coach, which makes sense since he's never been a coordinator, the scheme is the coordinator's to handle. Scheme fails, or breaks down, something needs to change, Dunbar wouldn't change, had to go. The head coach needs to do what is necessary to win. If Brewster can't improve next year, he'll go too. It's a bigger issue though, because it's not just one side of the ball, or one position in flux, it's everything, all sides of the ball, all coaches and support staff, all players and walkons, everything changes when a head coach is let go. If we let go of one coordinator we still have stability in the program(see defense this year with the promotion of Lee)

Ole, thank you for being the voice of reason. Everything on this topic you have said is spot on and I agree 100%. I like the direction Brewster is going and will give him time to win games with his own players.

Ever think that the local media might know more then they are letting on to in the public? Big difference between on the record stuff and off the record stuff. And it might be that people in the local media are verifying off the record information they have heard in the last few months before they go to press with the facts. Who will verify it first?

Did you guys hear that Maroon added someone to his ignore list!?!? I'm with ya DPO, its one thing to ignore someone (kind of lame), its another to broadcast it like you are hurting someone's feelings or something.

if i ignored everyone in a certain thread, would the thread go away?;)

Top Bottom