Limegrover is a chicken sh**

The main problem with KC was, who were you supposed to use on D? Derrick Thomas? Using a DLman as your controlled player was rarely a successful strategy.

I would always take the Steelers, edit the lineup to have Woodson return kicks and punts. With that, and Bettis running, I rarely lost to any of my buddies.

Setting up the audibles was key too.

I would always take the Steelers, edit the lineup to have Woodson return kicks and punts. With that, and Bettis running, I rarely lost to any of my buddies.

Setting up the audibles was key too.

Are you talking about NES version? Or Super NES version that came out several years later? Pretty sure audibles weren't introduced in the NES version, yet; though NES version of STB allowed you to change your offensive plays prior to game start.

Are you talking about NES version? Or Super NES version that came out several years later? Pretty sure audibles weren't introduced in the NES version, yet; though NES version of STB allowed you to change your offensive plays prior to game start.

The version we played (along with RBI baseball) was the regular NES version. You could set up, maybe not audibles, but be able to change the play. You have 4 offensive plays to select from, and you could switch between those. I would always use two formations with one pass and one run from each formation.

The version we played (along with RBI baseball) was the regular NES version. You could set up, maybe not audibles, but be able to change the play. You have 4 offensive plays to select from, and you could switch between those. I would always use two formations with one pass and one run from each formation.

OK - I think we're on the same game then. By the way, I'm pretty sure the original Tecmo Bowl (ca. 1989) had only 12 teams and only 4 plays per team. But STB (ca. 1991) had the full 28-team set and 8 offensive plays for each team, which could be changed before the game started. It's easy to mix the two games, both were extremely popular back in the day.

OK - I think we're on the same game then. By the way, I'm pretty sure the original Tecmo Bowl (ca. 1989) had only 12 teams and only 4 plays per team. But STB (ca. 1991) had the full 28-team set and 8 offensive plays for each team, which could be changed before the game started. It's easy to mix the two games, both were extremely popular back in the day.

All I know is what I told you and that me and my buddies spent countless hours wasting time, and killing beers and chew tins playing that. We had separate rules for RBI baseball. Give up a grand slam? Pound a beer. We would play those games until the sun came up.

Good times. I might have to try an emulator on my phone or something.

All I know is what I told you and that me and my buddies spent countless hours wasting time, and killing beers and chew tins playing that. We had separate rules for RBI baseball. Give up a grand slam? Pound a beer. We would play those games until the sun came up.

Good times. I might have to try an emulator on my phone or something.

Do you find it odd that the "Limegrover is Chicken S**t" thread on Gopherhole has been taken over as the Super Tecmo Bowl thread? LOL I feel like I've wandered off my path on Youtube and ended up someplace strange but cool.

Do you find it odd that the "Limegrover is Chicken S**t" thread on Gopherhole has been taken over as the Super Tecmo Bowl thread? LOL I feel like I've wandered off my path on Youtube and ended up someplace strange but cool.

Any thread about Super Tecmo Bowl defines "winning." Oh, and season started with the Chiefs. Here's hoping I don't (secretly hoping I do) stay up all night playing to the Super Bowl.

The main problem with KC was, who were you supposed to use on D? Derrick Thomas? Using a DLman as your controlled player was rarely a successful strategy.

For sure - I don't play humans, I play the computer. So Hackett works well for me. As much as I can appreciate the finesse of today's football, I really like a running back (or any player) who consistently owns the person they hit/hits them.

I wonder how AP is on some of the updated versions that are out there, though I'd have a similar problem given the Vikings LB and DB issues.

Not finding it odd at all.

Sometimes I'll see a thread title and know that I have no interest in wading in and seeing what's being said. But I'll give it a couple of day, and then look on page 6, or whatever, and it has no relation to the original post at all. Sometimes that's great (this thread) but often it's crap.

Any thread about Super Tecmo Bowl defines "winning." Oh, and season started with the Chiefs. Here's hoping I don't (secretly hoping I do) stay up all night playing to the Super Bowl.

Awesome :-D Thinking back to all the time in my life I wasted playing that game. And yet almost none of it was actually wasted time. I might have to break that out for the first time in ~7 years.

Most valuable player in STB - Wayne Haddix - the ONLY player on the TB defense. Makes TB from a worthless team to one that is viable.

Not finding it odd at all. Sometimes I'll see a thread title and know that I have no interest in wading in and seeing what's being said. But I'll give it a couple of day, and then look on page 6, or whatever, and it has no relation to the original post at all. Sometimes that's great (this thread) but often it's crap.

I'm loving the new direction of this thread!!

I'm not in the TC now, but when I get back - I vote we have some sort of GHer Tecmo Super Bowl tournament... with beer drinking rules in effect.

Thanks, GiI. Have you tried it out yourself? If so, I'd appreciate your opinion.

I have. The rosters are updated over the summer I believe so they aren't exactly correct as rosters have changed. It's essentially the same thing, it just takes a little bit to get used to the controls on your computer.

We used to have tournaments all the time in college. Sometimes we played the original Tecmo Bowl, other times it was Super Tecmo Bowl. But we had rules; if it was the original, no one could be the 49ers. There was a play on offense that couldn't be stopped. I think it was a dig to the TE. If we played Super Tecmo Bowl, no one could be the Chiefs or Lions. Impossible to stop Okoye and Sanders, especially if they were in excellent condition.

I'm not in the TC now, but when I get back - I vote we have some sort of GHer Tecmo Super Bowl tournament... with beer drinking rules in effect.

Game on, but I get Bo Jackson. It ain't even fair.

I have. The rosters are updated over the summer I believe so they aren't exactly correct as rosters have changed. It's essentially the same thing, it just takes a little bit to get used to the controls on your computer.

You need to download an emulator and then download roms for each game right?

Game on, but I get Bo Jackson. It ain't even fair.

Nah, we'd have to have a "no Bo" rule, because it ain't fair. At least w/ Okoye I have to get him in excellent condition before he becomes a true nightmare.

Also, I know the game is customizable - but I hate how the Chiefs have half their running plays going to this "Word" fool. I want to run the nightmare all day, every day.

I think I may have been part of the best consecutive defensive stands ever. It's a tribute to me being terrible, but 5 straight 3 and outs to start my second game between the two teams. Going for a touchdown to start the second quarter.

And immediately after the post I busted an 85 yard run by Okoye. Boom!

Yep. I use nestopia for the emulator.

I'll look into that, but I don't have as much time as I used to.

A couple years ago I was on a flight next to a guy in his early/mid 20's playing old NES game on his laptop. I'm kinda glancing over and he tells me what he's doing, like I'm some middle-age Luddite. So I tell him; "Yeah, but you're doing it wrong. If you take Boston, you need to sub Dave Henderson for Marty Barrett in the lead, then dump Buckner for Ellis Burks, put Tony Armas in for Gedman in the 8 hole. You might want to leave Spike Owen in for a while, but if it's getting close, sub in Marc Sullivan. The speed doesn't matter, and the fielding will be the same, you win with power with that lineup."

He looked at me like me wanted me to adopt him.

We used to have tournaments all the time in college. Sometimes we played the original Tecmo Bowl, other times it was Super Tecmo Bowl. But we had rules; if it was the original, no one could be the 49ers. There was a play on offense that couldn't be stopped. I think it was a dig to the TE. If we played Super Tecmo Bowl, no one could be the Chiefs or Lions. Impossible to stop Okoye and Sanders, especially if they were in excellent condition.

Thanks - I might check out the new versions. Visited the .org site just a bit ago.

We had various Tournies as well, both versions. 49ers and Cowboys both had unstoppable plays in the original version, I'm sure for the Cowboys it was the TE curl in the middle. I think the Niners had an unstoppable middle pass cutting pattern.

As for STB, I'm very surprised that you guys found Okoye and Sanders to be unstoppable. Maybe you all did a better job of setting up the team's offensive plays than my opponents, but only two players in that game did I find very frustrating to stop: Bo Jackson and Jerry Rice, the latter who tended closest to repeating the older versions "unstoppable" play, if he was in good or excellent condition.

Nah, we'd have to have a "no Bo" rule, because it ain't fair. At least w/ Okoye I have to get him in excellent condition before he becomes a true nightmare.

Also, I know the game is customizable - but I hate how the Chiefs have half their running plays going to this "Word" fool. I want to run the nightmare all day, every day.

Dude...for a while Barry Word was the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#! At least in fantasy value. Former Viking too.

I'll look into that, but I don't have as much time as I used to.

A couple years ago I was on a flight next to a guy in his early/mid 20's playing old NES game on his laptop. I'm kinda glancing over and he tells me what he's doing, like I'm some middle-age Luddite. So I tell him; "Yeah, but you're doing it wrong. If you take Boston, you need to sub Dave Henderson for Marty Barrett in the lead, then dump Buckner for Ellis Burks, put Tony Armas in for Gedman in the 8 hole. You might want to leave Spike Owen in for a while, but if it's getting close, sub in Marc Sullivan. The speed doesn't matter, and the fielding will be the same, you win with power with that lineup."

He looked at me like me wanted me to adopt him.

Haha, that is exactly what I did. I used to keep stats when I played RBI as a kid. I wouldn't doubt if my old notebooks with all the stats is packed away at my parents house along with my baseball cards.

Haha, that is exactly what I did. I used to keep stats when I played RBI as a kid. I wouldn't doubt if my old notebooks with all the stats is packed away at my parents house along with my baseball cards.

Nerd.

OK, so I kept stats for Bases Loaded. And keep in mind, Bases Loaded was a 162-game season.

I was a pro of the 45-degree-angle deke. Once the defender lost momentum it was home-free.

All day with Woodson returning kicks. Take the kick left or right, didn't matter. Start 45 degrees one way or the other, see a seem and bust it the other way. My buddy would 'rage quit' about once a night when I did this.

All day with Woodson returning kicks. Take the kick left or right, didn't matter. Start 45 degrees one way or the other, see a seem and bust it the other way. My buddy would 'rage quit' about once a night when I did this.

Thought you'd find this interesting:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587686-tecmo-super-bowl/faqs/6416
This guy writes up that
"Pittsburgh is one of the best returning teams. The question "Why?" puzzles even the most avid Tecmo expert. Only one thing is known, and that is that Pittsburgh and New Orleans are the two best return team in
the league, with the Raiders and Bears close behind."

I agree that New Orleans had a great return team: Fenerty and Mayes, I believe. They were the only team that I could return KO's with any real hope of scoring a TD. Most of the rest of the time I just hoped that the returner didn't fumble or get injured.

Top Bottom