Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

Lest we forget, MY WREN, speaks from HIS heart. Unfortunately, HIS heart is so big it doesn't know when to shut up.

I wish that GH-ers would get over the Wren "thing". I understand it all but all the complaining and "Wren shot's" and rips do get old.

The ignore button is there for all to use if anyone is sick and tired of his rants.

Me? I take Wren for what he is; an informed poster and very enthusiastic Gopher fan plump full of verbage. But in all that, there is a very deep passion for Gopher football. And also a wealth of knowledge about the history of Gopher football. There is lots of stuff he has posted over the years that I had forgotten about or never even knew. Wren and I have had some very good discussions about Gopher football over the years and I value that even though we often agreed to disagree.

On the other hand, I could care less about some of the non Wren stuff that is posted on GH.. I know, I can use the ignore button too! But over the years, I have learned to accept, sometime begrudgingly, what some GH-ers post. Maybe some of that could be directed at Wren.

Rip away!!!

I wish that GH-ers would get over the Wren "thing". I understand it all but all the complaining and "Wren shot's" and rips do get old.

The ignore button is there for all to use if anyone is sick and tired of his rants.

Me? I take Wren for what he is; an informed poster and very enthusiastic Gopher fan plump full of verbage. But in all that, there is a very deep passion for Gopher football. And also a wealth of knowledge about the history of Gopher football. There is lots of stuff he has posted over the years that I had forgotten about or never even knew. Wren and I have had some very good discussions about Gopher football over the years and I value that even though we often agreed to disagree.

On the other hand, I could care less about some of the non Wren stuff that is posted on GH.. I know, I can use the ignore button too! But over the years, I have learned to accept, sometime begrudgingly, what some GH-ers post. Maybe some of that could be directed at Wren.

Rip away!!!

I agree. If I'm not in the mood to read a post of his, I skim or skip past it.

Lest we forget, MY WREN, speaks from HIS heart. Unfortunately, HIS heart is so big it doesn't know when to shut up.

I see you have a taken a page from his book "My Gophers!" I always been of the school that it is "Our Gophers" but I have no problem with him being "YOUR WREN".

I see you have a taken a page from his book "My Gophers!" I always been of the school that it is "Our Gophers" but I have no problem with him being "YOUR WREN".

You are very astute, Killjoy.

Rip away!!!

+1 It is time to move on from Wren. I have met Wren and he loves Gopher football. That is enough for me.

Check out the segment of Holland Jr. video starting at 1:56. He (Holland #21 on defense) strips the ball, teammate recovers and it's off to the races. Obviously the players are not DBs but the speed differential is impressive, man amongst boys type stuff. Dare I ask what is his (official) 40 time?

Best time this year was 4.47/40.

+1 It is time to move on from Wren. I have met Wren and he loves Gopher football. That is enough for me.

+1. There is a real bully side to a lot of posters. I wish Loon still posted as well. A touch too angry at times, he still had a lot of interesting stuff to share.

Well, 4.47 would basically put him at extremely fast. Just looking at the past 5 years of NFL combine results...

8 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2010

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2011

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2012

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2013

15 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2014

If this kid, in high school is faster than the majority of NFL combine participants, then we have something extremely special on our hands.

Put another way, the 40 times that are hand-timed (not electronic) are not reliable, in the least. If he's truly running 4.47 40s, he will be one of the fastest players in the NCAA.

Well, 4.47 would basically put him at extremely fast. Just looking at the past 5 years of NFL combine results...

8 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2010

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2011

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2012

13 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2013

15 WR 4.47 or faster
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft/combine/_/id/1/year/2014

If this kid, in high school is faster than the majority of NFL combine participants, then we have something extremely special on our hands.

Put another way, the 40 times that are hand-timed (not electronic) are not reliable, in the least. If he's truly running 4.47 40s, he will be one of the fastest players in the NCAA.

Huh? 4.47 is good speed but it is nothing close to elite. Brock Vereen ran a 4.47, Jeremy Baltazar ran a 4.43 laser at his pro day he couldn't even lock up a starting spot. He barely played at all besides at the end of the season special teams. Berkley runs a mid 4.3 and i'm still not 100% sold on him. Baylor started 3 WRs last year that ran laser timed 4.3s. Holland is probably our second fastest recruit next to Craig James and 4.47 is not hard to believe. Yes if it was a guy like Jeff Jones or Isaiah Gentry i could see skepticism but Holland has very good top end speed and is a big time player.

FWIW I did a hand time (cue audience laughter) on that run in question from the 43 yard line over midfield to the 17 yard line. It was a standing start and slightly diagonal but his run in that video was in the 4.70 to 4.90 range. I just can't guarantee any better accuracy than that. Could he do significantly better on a hard NFL combine track without pads with specialized sprint training ...stands to reason. He's fast enough. He's big, he's fast, hopefully he can make the tough catches and get open in the Big Ten. Really, really stoked about this kid.

Huh? 4.47 is good speed but it is nothing close to elite. Brock Vereen ran a 4.47, Jeremy Baltazar ran a 4.43 laser at his pro day he couldn't even lock up a starting spot. He barely played at all besides at the end of the season special teams. Berkley runs a mid 4.3 and i'm still not 100% sold on him. Baylor started 3 WRs last year that ran laser timed 4.3s. Holland is probably our second fastest recruit next to Craig James and 4.47 is not hard to believe. Yes if it was a guy like Jeff Jones or Isaiah Gentry i could see skepticism but Holland has very good top end speed and is a big time player.

You're comparing a 17/18 year-old to grown men with years of world-class training and body maturation. No one said anything about whether Holland is a big-time player. He doesn't run an electronic 4.47. Stop it.

You're comparing a 17/18 year-old to grown men with years of world-class training and body maturation. No one said anything about whether Holland is a big-time player. He doesn't run an electronic 4.47. Stop it.

Just because you best time as a 9.94 (hand timed) doesn't mean...

FWIW I did a hand time (cue audience laughter) on that run in question from the 43 yard line over midfield to the 17 yard line. It was a standing start and slightly diagonal but his run in that video was in the 4.70 to 4.90 range. I just can't guarantee any better accuracy than that. Could he do significantly better on a hard NFL combine track without pads with specialized sprint training ...stands to reason. He's fast enough. He's big, he's fast, hopefully he can make the tough catches and get open in the Big Ten. Really, really stoked about this kid.

I was able to speed the video just a hair and electronically timed him at 3.98. Pretty dog gone impressed. Can't wait to see him on the field in Maroon and Gold. Seriously, he will impact MY Gophers early.

Ok, he ran that 4.47/40 three consecutive time and yes that was hand timed. Two weeks later ran 4.50 laser on turf field.

Two weeks later ran 4.50 laser on turf field.

So, as a 17/18-year-old senior in HS, he ran a time that would've placed him in the top 20 for WRs at this year's NFL draft combine?

So, as a 17/18-year-old senior in HS, he ran a time that would've placed him in the top 20 for WRs at this year's NFL draft combine?

Most guys get slower after 4 years in the weight room, not faster. I don't know why it is so hard for you to believe that this kid runs a high 4.4/low 4.5 if you watch his film or are you new to that? Were not saying he runs a 4.3, were talking about high 4.4 and that is not outstanding. Cody Latimer at IU ran a 4.41 so i could definitely see Melvin running a tenth of a second slower. This guy even said he was there when it happened.

Most guys get slower after 4 years in the weight room, not faster.

That must be why all of the track world records are held by high schoolers, huh?

I don't know why it is so hard for you to believe that this kid runs a high 4.4/low 4.5

Because he doesn't.

Were not saying he runs a 4.3, were talking about high 4.4 and that is not outstanding.

For a high schooler, that is blazing fast. See: NFL Draft combine times.

Cody Latimer at IU ran a 4.41 so i could definitely see Melvin running a tenth of a second slower.

Cody Latimer, 21 years old and very soon a professional football player? You don't say.

This guy even said he was there when it happened.

I saw Bigfoot. I said it, so it must be true.

Most guys get slower after 4 years in the weight room, not faster. I don't know why it is so hard for you to believe that this kid runs a high 4.4/low 4.5 if you watch his film or are you new to that? Were not saying he runs a 4.3, were talking about high 4.4 and that is not outstanding. Cody Latimer at IU ran a 4.41 so i could definitely see Melvin running a tenth of a second slower. This guy even said he was there when it happened.

I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

That must be why all of the track world records are held by high schoolers, huh?

Because he doesn't.

For a high schooler, that is blazing fast. See: NFL Draft combine times.

Cody Latimer, 21 years old and very soon a professional football player? You don't say.

I saw Bigfoot. I said it, so it must be true.

Track world record holders are not required to gain at least 10-20 pounds of muscle over their 4 year college careers and unless you start out at 20% body fat then you're 40 time isn't really something you can vastly improve on. Most guys who maintain their current weight can only improve their time about a tenth of a second max if they start out in top shape.

Top Bottom