Limegrover: “I think our receivers know we recruited three phenomenal freshmen”

Brock Vereen according to his rivals page ran a 4.45 at 175 and now 4 years later he ran an official 4.47 at 200.

Brock Vereen according to his rivals page ran a 4.45 at 175 and now 4 years later he ran an official 4.47 at 200.

Yes - because the Rivals time is made up. I'm not sure what's difficult to grasp about this. In real life, he probably ran in the range of 4.65-4.7 coming out of high school, like the vast majority of Division I skill position prospects.

GGGMc.gif

Yes - because the Rivals time is made up. I'm not sure what's difficult to grasp about this. In real life, he probably ran in the range of 4.65-4.7 coming out of high school, like the vast majority of Division I skill position prospects.

No, most or all rivals times come from combines or camps that the players attend and most of those camps do use lasers for timers. They don't just take the time that their coach hand timed at the kids first day of HS practice. Yes, in a kids hudl profile where they can put in whatever they want more times then not are incorrect but the times that recruiting sites use are not.

It is very important that we get to the bottom of this. If he can indeed run <4.5 then I am excited. If not, then I hope we Hinjosa him.

It is very important that we get to the bottom of this. If he can indeed run <4.5 then I am excited. If not, then I hope we Hinjosa him.

Right on! It is about time that we get to the bottom of this.

Over the offseason, Holland has lowered his forty-yard dash time, and combined with good size, he’s transformed himself into an intriguing prospect. He talked about how he was able to increase his overall speed. “Last season, I was running a consistent 4.57/40, but after working with ex-Redskins receiver Darnerien McCants (Delaware St., fifth round, 2001) and sprinter Adam Wooten, we’ve been successful in shaving my time down to 4.47.”

Time will say it all. He will arrive in Minnesota on the 17th.

This speed stuff is a bunch of irrelevant BS. If he can get open, catch the rock, block and stay on the roster, he and the other incoming WR's will be a big improvement over what we have had at the WR spot the past number of years.

The bar has been very low. Its time that Kill recruits and develops WR's that can get the job done.

This speed stuff is a bunch of irrelevant BS. If he can get open, catch the rock, block and stay on the roster, he and the other incoming WR's will be a big improvement over what we have had at the WR spot the past number of years.

The bar has been very low. Its time that Kill recruits and develops WR's that can get the job done.

I totally agree. ...well said

Having speed, kind of like having money makes everything easier. Brock Vereen went from potential udfa to probably 4th rd pick because of his combine performance.

Berkeley Edwards isn't going to play because of his size or cutting ability.

Speed is important but it's not the only thing. Some of us like to discuss mundane stuff like this, it's not the end of the world.

Regarding the questions about the offense: Let's accept the proposition that Kill and Limegrover are not idiots. Let's also accept the proposition that they have had successful offenses at other programs.

So, it comes down to this: have they:
A. forgotten everything they know about running an offense?
B. decided to run an offense that makes it harder to win games?
C. just not had the personnel they want/need to make their offense click?

I think the answer (for me, at least) is C. Kill has repeatedly said that they needed 3 recruiting cycles to turn over the roster. I think this year will tell us a lot more about the type of offense they want to run, and whether it will be successful in the B1G. But, if anyone is waiting for the Gophs to turn into Air Coryell, forget it. This is going to be a run-based offense. Establish the run 1st, then try to find holes in the defense to complete passes.

Personally, if they can win games without throwing a single pass, I'm fine with that. If they need to throw the ball to win, then they had better find a way to throw the ball - and I'm reasonably confident they will be able to throw the ball enough to keep defenses honest.

Regarding the questions about the offense: Let's accept the proposition that Kill and Limegrover are not idiots. Let's also accept the proposition that they have had successful offenses at other programs.

So, it comes down to this: have they:
A. forgotten everything they know about running an offense?
B. decided to run an offense that makes it harder to win games?
C. just not had the personnel they want/need to make their offense click?

I think the answer (for me, at least) is C. Kill has repeatedly said that they needed 3 recruiting cycles to turn over the roster. I think this year will tell us a lot more about the type of offense they want to run, and whether it will be successful in the B1G. But, if anyone is waiting for the Gophs to turn into Air Coryell, forget it. This is going to be a run-based offense. Establish the run 1st, then try to find holes in the defense to complete passes.

Personally, if they can win games without throwing a single pass, I'm fine with that. If they need to throw the ball to win, then they had better find a way to throw the ball - and I'm reasonably confident they will be able to throw the ball enough to keep defenses honest.

I totally agree. However, there is a small part of me that think in order for the Gopher's to be able to content for a "Big10" championship they have to be able to throw the ball.

C.

It's amazing what happens when we made some pass completions when necessary. The running game was fine. Not dominant, but fine.

If we can't pass efficiently our ceiling will be hard in the big ten. We didn't have the o line to dominate most league opponents last year. I'm hopeful that will improve as our team "ages".

Kill doesn't know how to develop a passing game - you have to work at it receivers was not the problem get real

I read somewhere that they don't want to run Leinder like last year. Could that possibility mean more passing game if the receivers do their thing?

Kill doesn't know how to develop a passing game - you have to work at it receivers was not the problem get real

Well, I'm glad you cleared it up for us. Try some punctuation in your future posts. Not for your sake, for mine. Took me about 40 seconds to decipher that last beauty of a "sentence".

I read somewhere that they don't want to run Leinder like last year. Could that possibility mean more passing game if the receivers do their thing?

This is true, but is only speaking of designed runs. One problem ML had last year was tucking & running on pass plays WAY too early.

Well, I'm glad you cleared it up for us. Try some punctuation in your future posts. Not for your sake, for mine. Took me about 40 seconds to decipher that last beauty of a "sentence".

amen I totally agree with your sentiment awesome.

Well, I can't wait until those freshman show up so we can see what they look like on the field.

All three receiver's highlights look good. Gentry looks to have a very slim frame but highlights look impressive.

This kid is going to be a stud. Welcome to the Golden Gopher family Mr. Holland Jr! Haven't had a lot of receivers this big and fast in a while that actually saw the field! Seems to have a solid family around him too. Hopefully Liedner can get the ball to him..

This kid is going to be a stud. Welcome to the Golden Gopher family Mr. Holland Jr! Haven't had a lot of receivers this big and fast in a while that actually saw the field! Seems to have a solid family around him too. Hopefully Liedner can get the ball to him..

Which kid are you referring to? Holland Jr definitely has to tools. Actually, they all do.

I just purchased tickets to all the games last night so I'm ready

We are going to be very thankful for this depth at receiver when the season begins.

Top Bottom