Lets Calm Down About the Offense

OK, I guess there are many ways to spin it. In my world, Leidner just played the first game of his junior season, which means he still had the majority of his career as a starting quarterback ahead of him (barring injury or benching in favor of the 2nd or 3rd stringer). Sounds like in your world that makes him a finished product. I'm still thinking he may show us bigger and better things, even though I'm not actually predicting he will. All I'm saying is I haven't written him off yet.

I'm not writing him off, and I am not saying he can't improve. I am saying that by college football standards, a redshirt upperclassmen with a full year of starting duty behind him and two years of significant playing time is a seasoned veteran. Most years, our starting quarterback will not be as experienced as Leidner is at the start of this year.

After re-watching the game, I was surprised at how little Leidner ran the ball. His running ability is a big part of his game. I don't see Leidner as a traditional drop-back passer. to ask him to do that is a bit like forcing a square peg into a round hole. He seems to be a guy who thrives on contact - dropping his shoulder and running over a linebacker gives him a charge.

What I don't know (and presumably the coaches do know) is why Leidner didn't run more. Was it because of the defense, or because they're worried about injuries. You can't put guys in bubble wrap. Let Leidner run, and if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. If you're going to alter your game plan because you're worried about guys getting hurt, then you're playing scared (IMHO).

There can't be more people on the Leidner bandwagon than not.

Also, I could go ahead and look up videos and provide statistics, but we all watch the games. It'd be like putting together an argument on why Ponder is so bad? What's the point if it's so obvious?

Please stop! You are giving me an Excedrin headache!:rolleyes:

I'm not writing him off, and I am not saying he can't improve. I am saying that by college football standards, a redshirt upperclassmen with a full year of starting duty behind him and two years of significant playing time is a seasoned veteran. Most years, our starting quarterback will not be as experienced as Leidner is at the start of this year.

Ok, that's fine, lets call him a seasoned veteran. And based on that you want to expect better than what you got in game one of this season? That's certainly your prerogative, but what are you looking to have happen when your expectations aren't met? Off the top of my head I would think the options are:

1. Coach him and look for him to build on game one and move forward.i
2. Bench him and throw another guy in next week.
3. Go to a shared QB system and switch off during the games.
4. Other

I'm going with option 1 and I'm guessing Kill is also. You?
Oh, and my answer might change after 3 or 4 more games.

Top Bottom