Let the NIL Begin: Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz Unveils Trademarked Logo ... that looks like someone else's logo ... a lot ....

If someone advertises their nice gesture on Twitter fair to question how the nice gesture will be implemented? If it’s say, 100K truly split evenly amongst the team, or 1% of 100K, that flavors how one might view the post or the generosity and motivation of the individual for posting. Yes, I’m cynical until proven otherwise.

First off in the world of NIL what a great way to create a brand and potentially get more dollars coming to you. Second, how do the taxes work on this thing? If I pay an athlete $100k and that athlete gives the money to his fellow athletes my guess would be the athlete who got the $100k pays the taxes. Everyone else would get tax free money and the athlete receiving the paycheck could end up losing money on the deal if they are not tax smart.

I’m excited when a guy like Mertz gets big bucks then gets the big benching

First off in the world of NIL what a great way to create a brand and potentially get more dollars coming to you. Second, how do the taxes work on this thing? If I pay an athlete $100k and that athlete gives the money to his fellow athletes my guess would be the athlete who got the $100k pays the taxes. Everyone else would get tax free money and the athlete receiving the paycheck could end up losing money on the deal if they are not tax smart.
Yeah its income regardless what you do with it.

I’m sure their agents are looking out for them. /s

The small fry players probably won’t need to worry too much as long as earnings and gifts don’t exceed the standard deduction. For the 100k example the player would certainly owe federal income tax, self-employment (15.3%), and state income tax - in states with income tax.

The high taxes in places like CA may be offset by the vast SoCal population centers and pool of “benefactors”. High taxes in areas less CFB-crazy could lead to more heartburn and sticker shock. CFB nuts + low tax havens like FL, TX or what have you may make out best but I suppose it’s complicated.

Then again, they could just not file a tax return. Has this ever happened before 🤔 ?

I’m sure their agents are looking out for them. /s

The small fry players probably won’t need to worry too much as long as earnings and gifts don’t exceed the standard deduction. For the 100k example the player would certainly owe federal income tax, self-employment (15.3%), and state income tax - in states with income tax.

The high taxes in places like CA may be offset by the vast SoCal population centers and pool of “benefactors”. High taxes in areas less CFB-crazy could lead to more heartburn and sticker shock. CFB nuts + low tax havens like FL, TX or what have you may make out best but I suppose it’s complicated.

Then again, they could just not file a tax return. Has this ever happened before 🤔 ?
Well the government doesn’t want to fund the irs to check anyways

I would rather pay the Gopher hockey roster every year than donate to the U and not know if it will go towards hockey.
You can earmark a donation to hockey or any other sport. Just make sure that you direct it there when you make the donation. If you are doing it online, just log into your account, click the donation option and follow the tabs to men's sports and then hockey.

You can earmark a donation to hockey or any other sport. Just make sure that you direct it there when you make the donation. If you are doing it online, just log into your account, click the donation option and follow the tabs to men's sports and then hockey.
Even knowing that I'd still rather pay the players directly. Basically to be able to know if they're on the roster at the U they will make x amount of money per year from a group of us, and then have additional to entice the star players that will be getting a lot of dough to go to a place like UND.

Even knowing that I'd still rather pay the players directly. Basically to be able to know if they're on the roster at the U they will make x amount of money per year from a group of us, and then have additional to entice the star players that will be getting a lot of dough to go to a place like UND..
I’m not exactly how it works in practice but paying players directly shouldn’t be tax deductible and donating to the school should be

Maybe this is not the best example, and maybe I am just petty, but how long before there is some organized backlash to this type of thing from fans of opposing teams? If I am a Utah fan, aren't I going to object to buying Built Bars when I know their support (and some of my money) is going to fund the program of a rival? I'd be a lot less likely to hit up Culver's if I found out they were bankrolling tuition for the wisconsin football team's walk-on program.

Maybe this is not the best example, and maybe I am just petty, but how long before there is some organized backlash to this type of thing from fans of opposing teams? If I am a Utah fan, aren't I going to object to buying Built Bars when I know their support (and some of my money) is going to fund the program of a rival? I'd be a lot less likely to hit up Culver's if I found out they were bankrolling tuition for the wisconsin football team's walk-on program.
I mean there are a few where I’m sure that’ll happen but most people aren’t that petty about college sports

The thing that could come of something like this is teams could essentially use something like this as extra scholarships for recruiting purposes.

I was looking for a new drill.... not comfortable buying a Milwaukee branded drill...

From the Q&A interview with Coil, he answers one question people were wondering about, re: can the U actually facilitate/directly make deals on behalf of the athletes? Ans: No.

Q: What do you think of the new name, image and likeness rules, and have you partnered with anyone to help athletes build their brands?

A: We're trying to be very aggressive. We think it's awesome with name, image and likeness. We put together an NIL working group that worked all last year. … First off, we started a partnership with Opendorse [a sports technology company] to help our student-athletes with their branding. … We also have a partnership with Team Altemus to provide education to our student-athletes, in terms of when you cut these deals and create these partnerships, to make sure you understand all the unintended consequences with it.

And then finally, we can't be in the position to go out and create these deals for our student-athletes. They've got to reach out to you directly, but obviously if you're a student-athlete here and enter into a partnership, you have to share that agreement with us. … We don't have [NIL laws] here in the state of Minnesota. We've put together a very user friendly policy for our student athletes.

^^ I believe what he means by "share", is just literally that you have to tell the athletic dept (eg, the compliance officer) that you've signed a deal.

IE, they need to have a record/list of all current NIL deals for all current student-athletes.

^^ I believe what he means by "share", is just literally that you have to tell the athletic dept (eg, the compliance officer) that you've signed a deal.

IE, they need to have a record/list of all current NIL deals for all current student-athletes.
It doesn't mean share the proceeds of the deal if that is the point you are questioning, but it is more than just keeping a list. The compliance office will have to vet these deals to confirm that they are within the rules set by the University and, presumably someday, the NCAA and/or state or federal law. For example, the U doesn't allow NIL agreements for "adult oriented businesses" or for payments that exceed the market rate for the covered activity. Lots of gray area there, obviously, but they will be exercising some oversight.

It doesn't mean share the proceeds of the deal if that is the point you are questioning, but it is more than just keeping a list. The compliance office will have to vet these deals to confirm that they are within the rules set by the University and, presumably someday, the NCAA and/or state or federal law. For example, the U doesn't allow NIL agreements for "adult oriented businesses" or for payments that exceed the market rate for the covered activity. Lots of gray area there, obviously, but they will be exercising some oversight.
Ah, good points!!

As it should be.

Alcohol/drugs (when/if rec. weed is legal) might be frowned upon too.

Ah, good points!!

As it should be.

Alcohol/drugs (when/if rec. weed is legal) might be frowned upon too.
Alcohol and banned substances are prohibited, so are weapons. Lots of potential fodder for legal challenges which is why the schools and the NCAA desperately want there to be some federal legislation to set guidelines rather than leaving it to individual schools, states or conferences to try to decide.

Hunting rifles/bows down south, guarantee they will.

Good things happen when you win a title and the NIL largess will increase. I am speculating. If they win a national title, now that can be a NIL windfall.

Saban co-owns Mercedes dealerships but the opening salvo has come out of Pataskala, Ohio.

Five Ohio State football players – defensive linemen Haskell Garrett and Zach Harrison, wide receiver Chris Olave, quarterback C.J. Stroud and running back Miyan Williams – received new cars for the 2021 season from Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala as part of a partnership with the dealership.

The cars have been leased to the players only through the end of the football season, though players who return to Ohio State for the 2022 season will have the option to extend their partnerships with the dealership.

As part of the partnership, the football players will also participate in toy drives, fundraisers and other community outreach in addition to promoting the dealership.

Ohio State linebacker Teradja Mitchell, who was unable to attend Thursday's event, will also receive a new car as a partner of the dealer.

Saban co-owns Mercedes dealerships but the opening salvo has come out of Pataskala, Ohio.

Five Ohio State football players – defensive linemen Haskell Garrett and Zach Harrison, wide receiver Chris Olave, quarterback C.J. Stroud and running back Miyan Williams – received new cars for the 2021 season from Coughlin Chevrolet of Pataskala as part of a partnership with the dealership.

The cars have been leased to the players only through the end of the football season, though players who return to Ohio State for the 2022 season will have the option to extend their partnerships with the dealership.

As part of the partnership, the football players will also participate in toy drives, fundraisers and other community outreach in addition to promoting the dealership.

Ohio State linebacker Teradja Mitchell, who was unable to attend Thursday's event, will also receive a new car as a partner of the dealer.

Players should get whatever they can (legally) get, in these side-deals that have nothing to do with and aren't funded at all by the school. All for that.

In response:
NCAA can quickly and easily propose, and it can be quickly voted upon and enacted by the autonomy voting group (ie, the P5 confs), that FBS football and DI basketball rosters will have hard limits on the number of players that receive any form/amount of athletic scholarships and/or NIL deal (including in-kind benefits).

I now realize that I am that petty. If Culvers started paying Badger players I think I would choose another option (regardless if I like their custard and burgers).

Me too. And I'd urge others to do the same.

Wonder how something like this works with a company that franchises. Since they are using your trademark....would a franchisee get a say if the overarching company decided to endorse and donate to something they didn't like. For example....Badger football or pedophilia?

Me too. And I'd urge others to do the same.

Wonder how something like this works with a company that franchises. Since they are using your trademark....would a franchisee get a say if the overarching company decided to endorse and donate to something they didn't like. For example....Badger football or pedophilia?
I'm sure that's already built into it, to some degree. And if you don't like it, you're always welcome to no longer be a franchise of that brand.

In response:
NCAA can quickly and easily propose, and it can be quickly voted upon and enacted by the autonomy voting group (ie, the P5 confs), that FBS football and DI basketball rosters will have hard limits on the number of players that receive any form/amount of athletic scholarships and/or NIL deal (including in-kind benefits).
I disagree on two counts. First, while the NCAA (or some portion of its member institutions) could in theory try to formulate rules to govern all of this, the fact is that this has been coming down the pike for years and the NCAA has been unable to generate any momentum for agreement on any of the key issues governing NIL. That's why, despite calls from all corners for some uniformity and clear guidance, we have none. I am not optimistic that they will do this at all, and none of it will be done "quickly and easily."

Second, the courts seem ready and willing to smack down any NCAA efforts to limit the earning potential of college athletes. The type of rule you suggest counts a walk-on getting $100 for an appearance at Subway the same as the QB on a full ride getting a year's lease on a Suburban. The result would be that the end of the roster guys would be told "Sorry, but if you do an appearance at the sandwich shop, we'll have to cut you from the team because we are at our limit for compensated players." This is doomed to be struck down in my opinion.

A better path to what I think you are trying to achieve would be stricter participation limits. For example, no matter how many student-athletes you have on roster, no more than 55 (or 60 or 65) can suit up for a game. That doesn't limit anyone's access to being "on the football team," receiving an education or deriving an income from their NIL.

I’m not exactly how it works in practice but paying players directly shouldn’t be tax deductible and donating to the school should be
Donating to the school is deductible as a charitable deduction. Just giving money to a player for nothing in return is most likely a “gift” and shouldn’t be deductible; the donor of the gift, however, might have to pay a gift tax if the gift exceeds $15,000! That is the beauty of the NIL for boosters. You are not making a gift to players; you—most likely a business entity—are making a purchase of “intellectual property” (image, trademark), or of personal services or an endorsement, from the player. You are getting something of value in return. This makes the purchase a business transaction and deductible as a business expense.

Top Bottom