Let the NIL Begin: Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz Unveils Trademarked Logo ... that looks like someone else's logo ... a lot ....

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score
So anyway Mertz has a logo he announced:

But it kinda looks like it's someone else's logo with all of one line added.

Kinda makes you wonder how this stuff is going to play out with guys playing with trademarks in a business where it's not as simple as putting out a tweet.

I have a feeling he should have waited to do this. Just cause he did not look great at the end of last year. What's it going to do to your "brand" if you make it official and then are mediocre during the next season?

So anyway Mertz has a logo he announced:

But it kinda looks like it's someone else's logo with all of one line added.

Kinda makes you wonder how this stuff is going to play out with guys playing with trademarks in a business where it's not as simple as putting out a tweet.
Next thing we know you’re going to try and tell us that Vanilla Ice ripped off Under Pressure.

Looks like a Transformers logo. You know, the one that always loses to the good guys.

If he sells it, he is ineligible
Nope. You're wrong about this, as you've been.

College Players May Make Money Off Their Fame, Powerful N.C.A.A. Panel Recommends

N.C.A.A. leaders on Monday recommended that student-athletes be allowed to make endorsement deals and profit off their names, one of the final steps toward a groundbreaking shift that could direct millions of dollars toward players.

The proposed guidelines, which an influential panel urged just three days before new state laws designed to challenge the N.C.A.A. were to take effect, would let players across the country earn money through autograph signings, personal appearances, endorsements, social media and other deals related to their names, images and likenesses.

Taken together, the state laws and industry rules that will most likely be relaxed will open a new era in college sports and allow players — not just schools, conferences, coaches and the N.C.A.A. itself — to look to the marketplace to capitalize on their fame for the first time. Most student-athletes are expected to earn modest sums, if anything at all. But researchers and executives believe the new system will fortify the bank accounts of future professional stars, who could earn hundreds of thousands of dollars while they are still in college, and increase financial opportunities for women, who enjoy loyal audiences as students but often have few lucrative options as athletes once they leave their campuses.

Before, and even during, Monday’s deliberations, athletes were making plans to begin to cash in starting later this week. Jordan Bohannon, a men’s basketball player at Iowa, recently announced plans for an apparel line that will debut on Thursday. On Twitter on Monday, Wisconsin quarterback Graham Mertz posted a personal logo that was complete with a trademark symbol. And businesses from car dealerships to entertainment venues intend to extend offers to players on Thursday, sparking a new economic reality in college athletics.

Has any player logo ever taken off and become recognizable, except for the MJ silhouette Nike developed? Tom Brady's logo is a little hokey and not that well known. What chance does Graham Mertz have?

If he sells it, he is ineligible

I hope he sells it

If this were the case, we should encourage him to shut down any business operations to remain their guy. For most of the game against Wisconsin last year, I was thinking how much I love Mertz and how mediocre he looked.

Has any player logo ever taken off and become recognizable, except for the MJ silhouette Nike developed? Tom Brady's logo is a little hokey and not that well known. What chance does Graham Mertz have?
Roger Federer's logo is recognizable

Is it short enough to count as fair use of the audio? Seems like a pretty clearly commercial use if it wasn't licensed.

Didn't see an "all things NIL" thread, so putting this here:

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resource...di-board-adopt-name-image-and-likeness-policy

DI Council recommends DI Board adopt name, image and likeness policy

The Division I Council voted to recommend the Division I Board of Directors adopt an interim policy that would suspend amateurism rules related to name, image and likeness. The board meets Wednesday.

While opening NIL activities to student-athletes, the policy leaves in place the commitment to avoid pay-for-play and improper inducements tied to choosing to attend a particular school. Those prohibitions would remain in effect.

If adopted by the board, the temporary action would remain in place until federal legislation or new NCAA rules are adopted. The policy provides the following guidance to member schools, student-athletes and their families:

• College athletes can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities are responsible for determining whether those activities are consistent with state law.
  • Student-athletes who attend a school in a state without a NIL law can engage in this type of activity without violating NCAA rules related to name, image and likeness.
  • College athletes can use a professional services provider for NIL activities.
  • Student-athletes should report NIL activities consistent with state law or school and conference requirements to their school.
With the NIL interim policy, schools and conferences may choose to adopt their own policies.

Guess all the people trying as hard as they could muster to pretend that college athletes profiting off their NILs this season would be declared ineligible, will have to change their tunes?

Guess all the people trying as hard as they could muster to pretend that college athletes profiting off their NILs this season would be declared ineligible, will have to change their tunes?
Yep, some people have their heads buried pretty far in the sand. Also not sure why people have such an issue with players getting compensated for their talent in a free market manner.

Is it short enough to count as fair use of the audio? Seems like a pretty clearly commercial use if it wasn't licensed.
That's a good question.

Once these guys start selling their own brands it stops being "hey here's a fun hilight video of me" and something else. I doubt that would count as fair use.

The U should have been ahead of the game and have hired someone to guide players through monetization of social media.

Someone like Paige Bueckers, who has 1 millions IG followers, is ready to cash in on day 1.

How many U athletes are?

I can not think of any college football player that I was such a fan of that I would purchase anything with that player name.

I can only see maybe that players school population maybe buy some stuff, if they are all american or heisman candidates will help, but outside of your own zip code....I don't know if enough ppl will really care to make it worthwhile to invest in your own brand in college...for football.

For basketball it could possibly be a different story. We'll see.

The U should have been ahead of the game and have hired someone to guide players through monetization of social media.

Someone like Paige Bueckers, who has 1 millions IG followers, is ready to cash in on day 1.

How many U athletes are?

This, I think basketball players will have a better chance at cashing in on this, simply because they can be projected to be lottery picks their senior years in high school. I think that closeness to the pro's makes them more attractive

I hope the Big Ten takes a stance something like that players have to use a professional to manage this stuff. How else will they hope to try to keep track of it and make sure it’s above board???

Players handling it themselves over Twitter DMs ain’t gonna cut it …

I can not think of any college football player that I was such a fan of that I would purchase anything with that player name.

I can only see maybe that players school population maybe buy some stuff, if they are all american or heisman candidates will help, but outside of your own zip code....I don't know if enough ppl will really care to make it worthwhile to invest in your own brand in college...for football.

For basketball it could possibly be a different story. We'll see.
It will be interesting to see now it plays out.

There are so many possibilities.

Of course the more obvious non popularity transaction is when a booster buys $1000 in t-shirts from some player ....

Immediately recognized as Guerilla Games...Which have far more reach than Mertz. Unless he wants to do free advertising for Playstation, best think about changing that.

i cant wait until this just becomes part of the recruiting pitch for the "have" schools. "We have a world class graphic design/social media team to help you capitalize on your NIL.... (and off the record we also have a bunch of bagmen who are willing to "buy" your merchandise)

Are people thinking that players selling merch marked with their own personal brands is going to be the main lucrative path?

I wasn’t thinking that. I was thinking it was going to be much more so doing endorsement deals.

But will be interesting to see this whole eco-system evolve.

Top Bottom