Let the music play - new Concert Reviews/Experiences

I know there are Lemonheads fans on here. Anyone else go to the show at the Fine Line last night. Absolute trainwreck. Saddest concert I've been to.

First they come out and you can't even tell it's Evan Dando, looks more like the mountain man from Happy Gilmore. The drummer is the singer from the opening band, and they are playing songs no one knows. It wasn't even certain it was the Lemonheads.

When they finally get to It's a Shame about Ray, Dando can't sing a lick. He sounds like an elementary kid in a choir concert trying to be funny. The album is interrupted by several "songs" no one know, including one where he seemingly was speaking in tongues. The bassist just stared at him throughout the night waiting for a cue for what he might be laying next.

Dando was so high I thought he was going to fall off the stage. It's amazing there wasn't booing or heckling. The crowd really hung in there somehow.

It was embarrassing. Not the fun and nostalgic look back at two albums that were the soundtrack to my high school years as hoped.

I know there are Lemonheads fans on here. Anyone else go to the show at the Fine Line last night. Absolute trainwreck. Saddest concert I've been to.

First they come out and you can't even tell it's Evan Dando, looks more like the mountain man from Happy Gilmore. The drummer is the singer from the opening band, and they are playing songs no one knows. It wasn't even certain it was the Lemonheads.

When they finally get to It's a Shame about Ray, Dando can't sing a lick. He sounds like an elementary kid in a choir concert trying to be funny. The album is interrupted by several "songs" no one know, including one where he seemingly was speaking in tongues. The bassist just stared at him throughout the night waiting for a cue for what he might be laying next.

Dando was so high I thought he was going to fall off the stage. It's amazing there wasn't booing or heckling. The crowd really hung in there somehow.

It was embarrassing. Not the fun and nostalgic look back at two albums that were the soundtrack to my high school years as hoped.

I was there. I knew trouble was brewing when before they started, Evan said he was going to play a few songs before Rockin' Stroll because that one has some "high notes" he wanted to warm up for. One of those was the single they released late last year Fear the Living. Actually sounds much better and less morose live than the recorded version.

It was also the 6th straight night of show as well. His voice issues are rather apparent when he has to sustain the high notes or go loud on the real rockers, especially Rudderless.

He was also wearing a Replacement's Hootenanny t-shirt. That was sort of a 'Mats harbinger for the impromptu nature of the evening.

I also can't say an evening is all bad that includes both a Hüsker Dü cover, Green Eyes as well as the aforementioned Replacements, If Only You Were Lonely. The sing-along nature of that one was the highlight of the night.

Actually the slower acoustic stretch, his voice is at least passable. After the short interlude they finally did get to Come on Feel, and ripped through it pretty well, vox issues not withstanding.

Probably also the longest Lemonhead's show I have seen, might have been 2 hrs. Evan at least was in a good mood and had energy, despite the lack of focus. Understatement.

I was there. I knew trouble was brewing when before they started, Evan said he was going to play a few songs before Rockin' Stroll because that one has some "high notes" he wanted to warm up for. One of those was the single they released late last year Fear the Living. Actually sounds much better and less morose live than the recorded version.

It was also the 6th straight night of show as well. His voice issues are rather apparent when he has to sustain the high notes or go loud on the real rockers, especially Rudderless.

He was also wearing a Replacement's Hootenanny t-shirt. That was sort of a 'Mats harbinger for the impromptu nature of the evening.

I also can't say an evening is all bad that includes both a Hüsker Dü cover, Green Eyes as well as the aforementioned Replacements, If Only You Were Lonely. The sing-along nature of that one was the highlight of the night.

Actually the slower acoustic stretch, his voice is at least passable. After the short interlude they finally did get to Come on Feel, and ripped through it pretty well, vox issues not withstanding.

Probably also the longest Lemonhead's show I have seen, might have been 2 hrs. Evan at least was in a good mood and had energy, despite the lack of focus. Understatement.

How's this for irony? Before the show when I was with my buddy, I was kind of lamenting that we would know virtually the entire setlist song by song and the order they would be played in.

Dando took care of that worry, though one needs to "be careful what you wish for".

One other tidbit, while the opening band was playing I took advantage of a short restroom line and as I got to the door of the green room to the right of the stage, Dando just happened to be walking in carrying his gear and his artwork (which he put onstage during the show). I said, "Hello Evan" which he responded back both pleasantly and with a quizzical look on his face. I think he thought I was part of the crew to help him with his stuff.

He watched the last few songs of the opener sitting on the steps to the stage.

Glad I didn't know about it. Last year's show wasn't too bad.

Anyone going to the Breeders tonight? My first time at the "new" Uptown Theatre.

About the only thing I was bummed about the '22 show at 1st Ave (30th Anniversary of Shame About Ray) was that Juliana Hatfield only came out for a cameo with the Lemonheads for Drug Buddy.

The Come On Feel show I saw in Evanston this past NYE was also really good, so I was optimistic. The streak is broken, though oddly I was still entertained.

My sister and brother-in-law saw them not too long ago and they said he just looked dead in the eyes and didn’t even move while he sang. But at least it sounded good. I would’ve been happy for that last night.

I keep hoping he gets his life together.
Everything I have read and heard in interviews, he seems really happy in Sao Paolo, Brazil.

Here's an example.

Interesting exchange here from 2023:

Any plans to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Come On Feel the Lemonheads this year?

That would be pushing it a little. No plans.

No reissue or anything?

Oh yeah, all that. But I don't know. I think I've done my last reissue tour. I can't do it anymore. I gotta go forward. For the sake of everybody and myself. It's fun, it's dangerous, a little bit satanic after a while. ‘Let's live out the old days, and actually play the record in order…’ Whatever. There's nothing wrong with it, it's entertainment. I will do it if I have to. I don't know.

-----

Cut to 2024 and it was billed as not one but a double re-issue tour, a complete contradiction. My gut tells me this tour was booked in anticipation of having a new record out, which just has not materialized in full yet. He did say last night he's recorded 20 songs for it.

Actually one of those first handful of songs was Hard Drive from his solo record Baby I'm Bored, which I was also happy to hear and is one he can handle vocally still. He played it at the last Fine Line go around as well.

Actor Michael Shannon (Boardwalk Empire) has been side hustling as a singer. He and Chicago musician Jason Narducy have done several gigs in which they tackle covering a full album, most notably Murmur. This month they have been taking it on the road.

Knowing that Mike Mills has given it a full endorsement and that Narducy's cohort in the Bob Mould Band, Jon Wurster would be behind the kit prompted me to take a flier. I figured if those two can replicate Hüsker Dü & SUGAR, they can also handle the guys from Athens, GA.

It was a fun night, the almost sold out crowd gave it's full approval.

Opening set was Murmur + There She Goes.

1st encore they played Chronic Town and 5-6 others. Finished with a 2nd encore of another at least half dozen songs. Backing band was really strong, not just Wurster and Narducy, who mostly played guitar plus the Mills backing vox.

Lots of Reckoning and 3 from Life's Rich Pageant. Only 2 songs post-IRS were Country Feedback and Nightswimming.

No opening band, but they played 80s throwback videos on the curtain. Not sure if I have seen them do that this century.

Knowing the odds of ever seeing REM again are essentially nil, this was a fine substitute.
Shannon-Narducy are coming back in March to 1st Ave with their take on R.E.M.'s Fables of the Reconstruction.

Anyone going to the Breeders tonight? My first time at the "new" Uptown Theatre.
I thought it was a really good show. I was unaware of the playing both Pod & Last Splash in full angle. I had never seen an artist/band attempt that and on back-to-back nights I experienced it. Well, the Lemonheads got close I suppose.

I liked how Kelley was sporting a Pod T-shirt and then during the quick break switched to Last Splash. Good synergy with the Merch table.

Whole band is really tight with Kim as a rocker front woman. Iris, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Cannonball and Divine Hammer were the huge highlights with a big audience response. Fantastic closer, with Kim flipping to bass for Gigantic.

IMG_20240924_213649900~2.jpg

IMG_20240924_213512872~2.jpg

Great venue all around especially on the floor, sounded great. For a sold out show, still was able to move around and secure beverages. A bit of a hike to get to the restroom, but really clean and as big as you would find at an arena or even stadium. I'm anxious to go back and would like to check out the balcony.

Last edited:

Hard to believe but this glowing review is from the same Lemonheads tour just 2 weeks ago in DC.

Hard to believe indeed.

I thought it was a really good show. I was unaware of the playing both Pod & Last Splash in full angle. I had never seen an artist/band attempt that and on back-to-back nights I experienced it. Well, the Lemonheads got close I suppose.

I liked how Kelley was sporting a Pod T-shirt and then during the quick break switched to Last Splash. Good synergy with the Merch table.

Whole band is really tight with Kim as a rocker front woman. Iris, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Cannonball and Divine Hammer were the huge highlights with a big audience response. Fantastic closer, with Kim flipping to bass for Gigantic.

View attachment 33731View attachment 33732

Great venue all around especially on the floor, sounded great. For a sold out show, still was able to move around and secure beverages. A bit of a hike to get to the restroom, but really clean and as big as you would find at an arena or even stadium. I'm anxious to go back and would like to check out the balcony.
I thought it was a great show. One of the best I've seen in a while. Kim still has it all going. Hasn't lost her voice at all. I came in seconds before the Beatles cover, so they won me over right away.

I was impressed by the venue. We had to stand under the balcony for a lot of it (which I usually hate) but the sound was still big. Very easy to get a drink and walk around. I like it better than The Palace by a lot. It was like a scrunched First Avenue.

I thought it was a great show. One of the best I've seen in a while. Kim still has it all going. Hasn't lost her voice at all. I came in seconds before the Beatles cover, so they won me over right away.

I was impressed by the venue. We had to stand under the balcony for a lot of it (which I usually hate) but the sound was still big. Very easy to get a drink and walk around. I like it better than The Palace by a lot. It was like a scrunched First Avenue.
I agree on it outdistancing the Palace. No comparison, especially on the GA aspect.

I really like the height of the stage, makes it better for those vertically challenged to have a good vantage of the entire band.

I agree on it outdistancing the Palace. No comparison, especially on the GA aspect.

I really like the height of the stage, makes it better for those vertically challenged to have a good vantage of the entire band.
I also want to thank the kid in the front row. He did full body headbanging for most of the show. It was incredible.

Top Bottom