Let’s dream for a second that Oturu returns. ...

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Here’s the question I would ask point blank everyone on GH.

Let’s assume Oturu returns and there are no significant departures/injuries/suspensions, etc., from the current & incoming roster.

Should Pitino continue on as Gophers coach with anything short of the NCAA Tournament next season?

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen.

Last edited:

Let’s assume Oturu returns and there are no departures/injuries/suspensions, etc., from the current & incoming roster.

Should Pitino continue on as Gophers coach with anything short of the NCAA Tournament next season?

No. He would have a top half of the Big Ten roster for sure, maybe better. If he misses with that roster he's done. But he's probably done if he misses without Oturu.

I would guess 12 wins with Oturu back.

If Oturu comes back and we keep all our other guys healthy and eligible why wouldn’t we win 15 Big Ten games? Who is oh wow so good????
We could even add one or two really nice players if we all get out of quarantine.

We’ll be Top 20 in country good if we have Oturu and our group is healthy all year.

Yes. I'd actually raise the bar and say that if Oturu returns next year and we have a healthy roster, a top 5 finish in the conference should be the expectation.

With Oturu and the current forecasted roster and let's say Walton. Anything short of a two day bye in the B1G tournament would be considered a huge disappointment. Without Oturu, he is most likely going to have to make the NCAAs. With him, it shouldn't even be a question.

When does Daniel have to make his decision whether he will turn pro?

That's an interesting question with the NBA season totally in flux. Will the season even resume? Will next season start on time? Why enter the draft if there is no season?

This whole situation sucks!

Last year, the deadline for pulling out of the draft was the end of May (29th I think). But, as Otis notes, who knows this year?

That's an interesting question with the NBA season totally in flux. Will the season even resume? Will next season start on time? Why enter the draft if there is no season?

This whole situation sucks!

Those are even more interesting questions. Nevertheless, I think there will be a draft. If they had to, the league could conduct digital interviews and even digital remote workouts.

Let’s assume Oturu returns and there are no significant departures/injuries/suspensions, etc., from the current & incoming roster.

Under the scenario you describe, I think he has to make the NCAA tournament. Everyone seems to think that and it's hard to disagree even though those existing players (with the exception of Oturu and Carr) would have to make improvements in order for this team to finish in the top half of the league.

If Oturu leaves, he might be able to get by with an NIT invite and at least a mini-run in that.

SelectionSunday is one of the more positive posters on this board. Rarely does he engage in hyperbole. His OP is an honest question, not a shot at RP.

FWIW, I am glad Pitino is back so please don't accuse me of ripping on the man.
We all know the answer. There was a reason for the post, imo.

SelectionSunday is one of the more positive posters on this board. Rarely does he engage in hyperbole. His OP is an honest question, not a shot at RP.

FWIW, I am glad Pitino is back so please don't accuse me of ripping on the man.

Agreed with this.

BaRRRn BuRRRner is a stalker who has real issues.

Sweet 16 should be minimum expectation if Oturu returns. We will have more guard depth/talent with addition of Mashburn and I expect at least a modest jump from Ihnen.

I'll offer nuance. There's more to it than just making the tournament. I could see him making it and still being dismissed if there isn't evidence of a stronger infrastructure being developed, i.e. establishing recruiting systems and relationships, etc.

No way he is retained missing the tournament with an intact roster, but making it may not assure it either.

Richie nine lives does not deserve Oturu returning.

He was set to be fired. That is what he deserved. Oturu was (may still be) set to join the NBA.

Richie didn't deserve to be forced to stay on and maybe Oturu staying on.

Assuming Oturu returns I think the benchmark should be a top five finish in the big ten, an NCAA tournament appearance, and a strong recruiting class.

If "worst" awards were given at Gopher Hole, you'd be a strong favorite for two of them:

1) Least informative;

2) Least articulate.
Tough to beat out theczar on those ...

Top Bottom