Let’s dream for a second that Oturu returns. ...

Remember when everyone was bitchhin that we hadn’t produced NBA talent since Kris, and now we want to fire the coach cause he does it back to back years.

Remember when everyone was bitchhin that we hadn’t produced NBA talent since Kris, and now we want to fire the coach cause he does it back to back years.

It's not the NBA talent that's the problem.

It's not the NBA talent that's the problem.
I knew upon his hiring, that this coach was a project. Giving him anything less than 10 years is a waste.

Awwww I got sucked into the I hate Pitino thing.

Daniel is a special kid. I hate the NBA but would watch games that he was in.

If he were to come back and him and Marcus stayed healthy, anything less than a conference title would be disappointing.

Here’s what I think Coyle’s criteria would be:

1. Finish 2020 recruiting very strongly (Walton or equivalent, plus good grad transfer, assuming we have room)
2. Make Tournament
2. Win a couple of games in the Tournament
3. Get another very good (4-star guy) 2021 verbal commitment
4. Show In other ways that recruiting is going very well.
If all of the above happened, I would think most reasonable people would conclude that the ship is heading in the right direction.

Here’s what I think Coyle’s criteria would be:

1. Finish 2020 recruiting very strongly (Walton or equivalent, plus good grad transfer, assuming we have room)
2. Make Tournament
2. Win a couple of games in the Tournament
3. Get another very good (4-star guy) 2021 verbal commitment
4. Show In other ways that recruiting is going very well.
If all of the above happened, I would think most reasonable people would conclude that the ship is heading in the right direction.
All good points. I would add finish somewhere in upper half of the Big 10.

With Oturu:

Make the NCAA's = Expected. Pitino returns but his seat may still be warm in 2022 depending on particulars.
Miss the NCAA's = Big disappointment. Pitino is out.

Without Oturu:

Make the NCAA's = Big surprise. Pitino buys himself at least two more years.
Miss the NCAA's = As expected. Pitino is still fired. Only possible exception is a 1996 level snubbing by the committee.
This is all probably true.
Should a division 1 coach be always on the hot seat? If the gophers finish 5th in the big ten and lose in the round of 32 in the NCAA tourney...should Pitino be coaching for his job in 2021-22?

I think no. Richard wasn’t coaching for his job this year and wasn’t getting fired this year barring being uncompetitive. When he was brought back for this season he was assured of two more year IMO because this team performed about as everyone expected and he didn’t get fired this year

Awwww I got sucked into the I hate Pitino thing.

Daniel is a special kid. I hate the NBA but would watch games that he was in.

If he were to come back and him and Marcus stayed healthy, anything less than a conference title would be disappointing.

As good as Oturu is, and as much as we like Carr, expecting a conference title would be plain silly.

Michigan State would be better - Watts, Henry, Hauser, two other rotations bigs plus Izzo (and like a 30 percent chance of Tillman plus a transfer)
If Garza returns, Iowa would be better.
Illinois would be better.
Michigan would be better.
Ohio State would be better - I know we beat them, but the Buckeyes were the better team the other 30ish games so don't railroad the thread.

If Oturu were to return and the Gophers were to add a rotation-caliber player (someone who can play 18-23 minutes in a 2-4 role), I think a top-four finish would've been possible.

You have argably the best Center. One of the three or four best point guards and decent enough depth. You'd need Ihnen to take a huge step forward, but winning the league would take so many things going right.

As good as Oturu is, and as much as we like Carr, expecting a conference title would be plain silly.

Michigan State would be better - Watts, Henry, Hauser, two other rotations bigs plus Izzo (and like a 30 percent chance of Tillman plus a transfer)
Ohio State would be better - I know we beat them, but the Buckeyes were the better team the other 30ish games so don't railroad the thread.

If Oturu were to return and the Gophers were to add a rotation-caliber player (someone who can play 18-23 minutes in a 2-4 role), I think a top-four finish would've been possible.

You have argably the best Center. One of the three or four best point guards and decent enough depth. You'd need Ihnen to take a huge step forward, but winning the league would take so many things going right.
If Oturu returns we would still have zero capable depth. Which is what the whole issue of the Pitino program has been.

If Oturu returns we would still have zero capable depth. Which is what the whole issue of the Pitino program has been.
Why couldn't the depth be better? I am betting that Freeman is going to be ready to contribute, Williams will be better, Mashburn will be a player and they will get at least two more guys and it will be guys that they think are ready to play. Curry is a wild card but he, if healthy would definitely add either a starter or solid depth player.

No mention of UW, they return everyone but Pritzl , add really good players and win. They will be picked near the top.

Yep Wisconsin will likely be ranked in the top-15 in the preseason. The whole team is back and even if none of their guys probably take big leaps, it's a vintage Wisconsin team with a bunch of solid players that won't lose a lot of weird games.

I know Gopher fans like to think we were a missed FT here and roll off the rim there away from being a top-half of the league type team. The truth is that the teams that finished near the top of the league can say those exact same things about their losses, but also won a bunch of games.

Why couldn't the depth be better? I am betting that Freeman is going to be ready to contribute, Williams will be better, Mashburn will be a player and they will get at least two more guys and it will be guys that they think are ready to play. Curry is a wild card but he, if healthy would definitely add either a starter or solid depth player.
We are replacing Demir.

we are gaining two recruits if my understanding is correct.

problem is we were about 4 guys short of having good depth.

I was completely convinced that Oturo was going to go to the NBA. Now, I am not so sure. I would back if down to a 50% chance. To be clear, I think Oturo is an excellent player. Nevertheless if you compare his stats with the top two projected centers he is considerably behind them. In a guard/ small forward league he knows he will be at best the 3rd center chosen. In addition, he has a 75% chance of being taken in the second round. I don't think much will change between now and the draft to change that since there likely won't be live workouts.

I support whatever he decides, but no longer think it is a forgone conclusion that entering the draft is in his best interest. I'm sure he will get plenty of support in making that decision. Look forward to hearing his final decision and wish him the best!

Hate to say it but I hope Oturu just declares himself for the draft so we can be done with all the speculation that he's coming back. All signs point to him being out the door.

Hate to say it but I hope Oturu just declares himself for the draft so we can be done with all the speculation that he's coming back. All signs point to him being out the door.

Not sure how all signs point to him leaving when he hasn't even declared for the draft yet.

Remember all the people thinking that Coffey might not leave? Wasn't that a big argument on GH?

And he had way lower expectations.

Remember all the people thinking that Coffey might not leave? Wasn't that a big argument on GH?

And he had way lower expectations.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Oturu though. Not saying Oturu is coming back, but Amir's decision has nothing to do with Oturu's.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Oturu though. Not saying Oturu is coming back, but Amir's decision has nothing to do with Oturu's.
Correct, sorry I wasn't saying it did.

I was saying that ... we had a player, with much lower NBA expectations, and people fought and argued over if he would leave. Then, of course, he left.

So ... now everyone arguing about if Oturu might stay .... just think it's a bit of history repeating here. Oh well

Huh? That’s like saying “I’m getting so tired of all this Coronavirus talk, I just hope we all catch it so we can be done with all the speculation.”

Not sure how all signs point to him leaving when he hasn't even declared for the draft yet.
That means everything that happens before he declares for the draft say that he's going to declare for the draft.

Huh? That’s like saying “I’m getting so tired of all this Coronavirus talk, I just hope we all catch it so we can be done with all the speculation.”
Not at all. This is college basketball. I hope he comes back. I really don't see that happening though.

Correct, sorry I wasn't saying it did.

I was saying that ... we had a player, with much lower NBA expectations, and people fought and argued over if he would leave. Then, of course, he left.

So ... now everyone arguing about if Oturu might stay .... just think it's a bit of history repeating here. Oh well
But more obvious with Oturu than Coffey I would say. Higher projections.

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with it. He played under Amir last year. Amir led the team and left for the draft with nowhere near the projections that Oturu has. If I was anyone close to Oturu I would tell him to go. He's gonna be a 1st round pick most likely.

Reactions: sal

I think we're better off as a program preparing as if Dan is not gonna be here, because he's most likely not. If he does, that's an enormous bonus.

I think we're better off as a program preparing as if Dan is not gonna be here, because he's most likely not. If he does, that's an enormous bonus.
I am sure Pitino and his assistants are working on all possible scenarios. Oturu leaves, Oturu stays, Walton commits, Walton goes elsewhere. We may have 2 scholarships available, we may have no scholarships available. Do we use one of the scholarships as soon as we can assuming Walton is gone. It would certainly make things easier if both would announce their definite intentions one way or another.

I am sure Pitino and his assistants are working on all possible scenarios. Oturu leaves, Oturu stays, Walton commits, Walton goes elsewhere. We may have 2 scholarships available, we may have no scholarships available. Do we use one of the scholarships as soon as we can assuming Walton is gone. It would certainly make things easier if both would announce their definite intentions one way or another.
So we have 1 available for sure and then Oturu gone would make 2?

They have been and are busy with any and all possibilities. Think how tough it is on the players either staying or going or committing. Think of Oturu, what would he be going to ? The draft is very likely, is the NBA season or the college season likely ? What will playing college basketball even look like ? So much unknown.Even incoming freshman are in the unknown. So many are on campus early June, summer school , workouts etc.. That is all in peril. College sports landscape is altered in ways we can only guess at. The financial crisis in play now has huge ramifications will be horrific. Season tickets are a big number for a large % of holders.

They have been and are busy with any and all possibilities. Think how tough it is on the players either staying or going or committing. Think of Oturu, what would he be going to ? The draft is very likely, is the NBA season or the college season likely ? What will playing college basketball even look like ? So much unknown.Even incoming freshman are in the unknown. So many are on campus early June, summer school , workouts etc.. That is all in peril. College sports landscape is altered in ways we can only guess at. The financial crisis in play now has huge ramifications will be horrific. Season tickets are a big number for a large % of holders.
Might as well trow in the recruiting dead period also. No travel, no visits, no face to face, only phone calls and text messages. So many unknowns.

Top Bottom