Last-second switch?

Part of the charm of debate is that anything can happen, at least until the LOI are signed! I can easily believe they are trying to get someone to switch commits, but whether it happens or not is an unknown right now.

First heard about Carter signing with Minnesota rumor on Friday but last year the same thing went down with Willie Mobley talking out of both sides of his mouth to Minnesota and Ohio State people so I figured this would be best left alone for now. Interesting that other people are hearing the same, usually the "where there is smoke" phrase is true, but it doesn't mean it is a done deal, although the way I heard it stated was Carter would be signing with Minnesota, not that there was a chance he might switch. Also part of it was that Tyrone had a long chat with his cousin and that may have had something to do with it.
We shall see I guess. I'm sure he will be contacted and probably deny it, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I'm sure a McNeal rumor will pop up as well before wednesday but there is No chance of that switch.

I remember also hearing the same rumors about Ryan Harris, and that didn't pan out either.

Source?

Unless I hear it from the horse's mouth (a.k.a. Sid), I'm not going to believe the whispers until signing day :)

dont you mean that we cant beleive it until Sid says the opposite? ;)

Right, Sid gives some validity (?) of rumors but not the truth.

Either way I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment if we don't get any last minute blue-chippers, including Carter. For all we know Brew & crew were in FL trying to finalize other committments.

Recruiting 24/7

And as I understand Coach Brewster, we will recruit a player until he tells us to stop. Players de-committ. It all comes down to trust, playing time, and TV exposure. The fact that Coach Lee has been in Florida indicates there are still some players they want. If a player has second thoughts, a Coach in your living room can be a powerful tool. And the decision maker often is, MOM.

Right, Sid gives some validity (?) of rumors but not the truth.

Either way I'm not going to set myself up for disappointment if we don't get any last minute blue-chippers, including Carter. For all we know Brew & crew were in FL trying to finalize other committments.

I agree and won't get my hopes up either. They could also have gone down there and not been able to change his mind. I am just glad signing day is only 2 day's away.

i guess he took all of his stuff of WVU off of his myspace page. that could be a good sign for us

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade here, but isn't all the speculation that people make on an ongoing basis regarding football recruits getting a little silly? I mean anytime a kid might change his mind, we find out about it and everybody starts going nuts about rumors and innuendo.

Kids change their minds all the time, but personally, it gets kind of old when every time someone mentions the possibility of so-and-so kid possibly changing their mind, it ends up on a message board. This is also why I hate verbals and am in favor of an early signing period for college football. That way, kids would know where they are going, we as fans would know where kids were going, and we would be able to leave a lot of such drama out of it altogether.

An early signing period would also keep coaches from recruiting "committed" players to other schools, which while I understand is part of the sport right now, gives me the heebie jeebies from an ethical stand point. I know the early signing period idea is a little far-fetched for the time being, but until that happens, we'll see rumor after rumor, substantial or not, until February rolls around every single year.

Okay, rant over....speculate on!!!!!:D

Last second changes

i guess he took all of his stuff of WVU off of his myspace page. that could be a good sign for us

I s'pose this is better than reading tea leaves... I'm not looking for anything definitive about last second changes until they actually sign. I'm sure I wouldn't be telling anyone now, just to avoid WVU or whoever bringing in all their big guns - unless I still wasn't sure ;)

It's about the same as right before the MLB trade deadline. Except 18 year old kids are making the decisions instead of 50 year old GMs. An early signing period would not stop rumors or kids changing their minds a dozen times...it would just end it earlier.

It's about the same as right before the MLB trade deadline. Except 18 year old kids are making the decisions instead of 50 year old GMs. An early signing period would not stop rumors or kids changing their minds a dozen times...it would just end it earlier.

Good point. I guess when it really comes down to it, I get tired of months and months of rumors and speculation. I would prefer it end sooner rather than later. But, that's just me.....;)

i would like to see an early signing period as well but as it stands right now it makes things interesting and exciting

One proposal is to eliminate a single day and do it on a rolling basis. Whenever both sides are ready, they sign and fax it in. Some kids will probably sign on their first visit then kick themselves. Some coaches might bet burned if their kid later gets hurt or in trouble or a better player comes along but the spot is already taken.

One proposal is to eliminate a single day and do it on a rolling basis. Whenever both sides are ready, they sign and fax it in. Some kids will probably sign on their first visit then kick themselves. Some coaches might bet burned if their kid later gets hurt or in trouble or a better player comes along but the spot is already taken.

I kind of like this idea as well. That way, if a kid is not sure, then he doesn't have to sign. And if that same kid all of the sudden says, "that's it, I for sure want to go there," he can go ahead and sign the letter and be done with it.

As for the injury angle, I'm not really as worried about that side of it for the simple reason that whether the kid hurts himself before signing or after, the kid still has the equal chance of getting hurt. That's one of the issues that coaches have to factor in when recruiting any football player, and indeed, any athlete. It would suck for the school, but that's the risk you take regardless imo. All and all, I like the idea. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see it anytime soon....:(

In regards to an early signing period, I have been all for it until recently. I heard an interview with someone discussing the early signing period and the reason against it was that it would actually hurt many schools. If you have an early signing period many top schools will get the kids they want, but what it allows them to do is to focus on many of the diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Now instead of many of those kids slipping through the cracks, they will have a better chance to get noticed by a bigger/better schools. Like this year with Utah, some of those kids might have got signed with Oregon/Washington/UCLA ect, because those coaches have had more time to view their tapes and what not to evaluate the kids. I am not saying that it is like that all the time, but it is just a major disadvantage because most likely the kids with the smaller school offers are not as likely to sign because they want to see if they get any better offers, unlike the kids who already have the big offers.
I do like the idea of a rolling signing. It makes sense for both parties and it makes both sides live up to their word. But then again we are talking about college football and they don't like to do things that makes sense.

it is just a major disadvantage because most likely the kids with the smaller school offers are not as likely to sign because they want to see if they get any better offers, unlike the kids who already have the big offers.

Aren't the big time kids less likely to sign because they're in demand? (see Wingo, Richardson) We might have been able to snag a kid like Lewan early on before he blew up.

First heard about Carter signing with Minnesota rumor on Friday but last year the same thing went down with Willie Mobley talking out of both sides of his mouth to Minnesota and Ohio State people so I figured this would be best left alone for now. Interesting that other people are hearing the same, usually the "where there is smoke" phrase is true, but it doesn't mean it is a done deal, although the way I heard it stated was Carter would be signing with Minnesota, not that there was a chance he might switch. Also part of it was that Tyrone had a long chat with his cousin and that may have had something to do with it.
We shall see I guess. I'm sure he will be contacted and probably deny it, but that doesn't mean it's not true. I'm sure a McNeal rumor will pop up as well before wednesday but there is No chance of that switch.

I hope there are no McNeal rumors. My esteem of this guy as a player is about as high as my esteem for Mobley last year, which is to say, almost nonexistent.

EDIT: I must say that I wouldn't be against signing McNeal, but he and Mobley have got to be two of the most overrated players I've seen by the recruiting sites. Both of them also seemed to sort of toy around with the U when neither had any intention of signing here. This bugged me.

Absolutely NOT! Do you realize what kind of pressure kids would be under during their visits? Have you heard the term hot boxing? We'd all like to believe that every school would help a recruit make a responsible decision, but it ain't gonna happen. Even home visits would become pressure cookers. The dead periods are there for a reason, so recruits will have some time to think about their future without being influenced each day by coaches. The recruiting schedule is there to protect the players, not the schools, and it seems to be working.

I'm all for an early signing day, but the NCAA still needs to have a similar contact structure as they do now.

I hope there are no McNeal rumors. My esteem of this guy as a player is about as high as my esteem for Mobley last year, which is to say, almost nonexistent.

EDIT: I must say that I wouldn't be against signing McNeal, but he and Mobley have got to be two of the most overrated players I've seen by the recruiting sites. Both of them also seemed to sort of toy around with the U when neither had any intention of signing here. This bugged me.

Handsome Pete, I can't speak to Mobley's intentions, but McNeal did not toy around with the U. There was absolutely a chance (a good chance) he could of signed here. He just found a better fit in Clemson.

Absolutely NOT! Do you realize what kind of pressure kids would be under during their visits? Have you heard the term hot boxing? We'd all like to believe that every school would help a recruit make a responsible decision, but it ain't gonna happen. Even home visits would become pressure cookers. The dead periods are there for a reason, so recruits will have some time to think about their future without being influenced each day by coaches. The recruiting schedule is there to protect the players, not the schools, and it seems to be working.

I'm all for an early signing day, but the NCAA still needs to have a similar contact structure as they do now.

That's also a valid point. The biggest problem that I have with college recruiting is all the negative recruiting that goes on. And I have a feeling there is a lot of it considering the number of changes in verbal commitments we see every year. I'm not saying that every kid that changes their verbal does so because of negative recruiting, but I would bet there's a pretty high percentage of kids who do so. I guess this brings me back to an early signing day idea.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of where the philosophies behind big-time college recruiting have gone. And it seems to be getting worse every year. I just hope that sometime down the line, the NCAA addresses some of this stuff sooner rather than later...

Handsome Pete, I can't speak to Mobley's intentions, but McNeal did not toy around with the U. There was absolutely a chance (a good chance) he could of signed here. He just found a better fit in Clemson.

I would debate the "good chance" statement.

Well it's probably all unfounded speculation but it would be great if we somehow got Carter. I'd love to see us jump ahead of Wisconsin in the Team Rankings.

Anyone see that now on WVU forum some rube posted a wild rumor that they are getting Garin to switch on signing day? :D The guy should have done his research and not picked a kid who grew up here and already bleeds gold!

Anyone see that now on WVU forum some rube posted a wild rumor that they are getting Garin to switch on signing day? :D The guy should have done his research and not picked a kid who grew up here and already bleeds gold!

That was not the player to choose if he wanted someone to fall for it. It was so bad even the WV posters didn't believe it.

Top Bottom