Ky Thomas enters portal

For example:

If Fleck says there is an open competition at every position you guys seem to think he really means it.
The much more logical conclusion is that a coach getting paid millions of dollars a year to win games would purposefully play a player he thinks give us a worse chance to win because he likes that person.

That checks out.

The funny thing is that you still can't read. Your semantic obsessed hot take is one thing, but read carefully, I DID NOT SAY 85-90%. I replied to someone who did. My post RESPONDED to the person who said 85-90%.

View attachment 16293
I'm the reply "Yeah, I think we all agree with that". I'm not super shocked that you confused three paragraphs with a book, but I had to write a book because sometimes you have to really slow things down for people missing the point. Again. . . I did not write the 85-90%. I did not correct him for writing the 85-90% because doing so was an idiotic argument (differentiating between meaningless numbers that would be impossible to calculate).

No, sprinting is nothing like football because they are two completely different sports. Just like I don't think playing QB is like the javelin because they both throw things. You're f'n doubling down on idiocy today.

Bob is the best at using alot of words to call someone an idiot.
🤣

Nah, Ky played better opposition. He was the best gopher rb this year.
Ky is a great runner in terms of vision ... and best blocker in the backfield besides Bryce (or LeCaptain). A couple of Tanner's TD throws, including one to CrAB against WI, happened only because Ky made a great block. He crumpled WI LB Chenel (262 lbs) on a blitz on CrAB's long-developing crossing route against WI. Ky is one hell of a RB, complete in all phases of the game. Hate to see him go. But with guys routinely playing 5 and 6 years, coming back seemingly forever, some young guys are going to move rather than wait.

I am sad to see him go, really am, he was a beast for us and can only get better. I just don’t understand what people don’t understand about this move though. He showed how elite he is and doesn’t want to be behind anyone on the depth chart. Plain and simple.

The funny thing is that you still can't read. Your semantic obsessed hot take is one thing, but read carefully, I DID NOT SAY 85-90%. I replied to someone who did. My post RESPONDED to the person who said 85-90%.

View attachment 16293
I'm the reply "Yeah, I think we all agree with that". I'm not super shocked that you confused three paragraphs with a book, but I had to write a book because sometimes you have to really slow things down for people missing the point. Again. . . I did not write the 85-90%. I did not correct him for writing the 85-90% because doing so was an idiotic argument (differentiating between meaningless numbers that would be impossible to calculate).

No, sprinting is nothing like football because they are two completely different sports. Just like I don't think playing QB is like the javelin because they both throw things. You're f'n doubling down on idiocy today.
Of course, Bob, you're always right. Sprinting is nothing like running a football because neither one runs. Can't make it up.

Bob is the best at using alot of words to call someone an idiot.
🤣
Even when he is twisting himself in knots explaining how running has nothing to do with running. Bet he's also the only guy who can routinely hurl a javelin 200 feet through a basketball hoop.

The much more logical conclusion is that a coach getting paid millions of dollars a year to win games would purposefully play a player he thinks give us a worse chance to win because he likes that person.

That checks out.
That's not what any one has said but you do you, bob.

Bob was responding to me... I said if mo was at 85-90% of his former self he will carry it over 200 times this season... why does everything here need to become a bitch fest... Fuck..y'all suck ass... Just fucking move on... Every damn thread... bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch...... Get off the computer and go bust a nut and relieve some stress

If Potts comes back 100%, (which I believe he will), then I see no real difference between Potts & Thomas. Similar size, similar styles, similar production, etc. I guess you get an extra year of eligibility out of Thomas, but this is not an insurmountable loss. Mo/Potts/Bucky (will get his for sure)/ and Williams. We're good.

On the "open competition" thing:

Look, Fleck is extremely loyal to his veteran players, especially for guys like Morgan and Mo who have literally been with Fleck starting with his first season at MN.

And, for the most part, they have been very productive players.

So yes, they are going to get the benefit of the doubt when deciding who starts and allocating playing time.

Now, I tend to believe that, if another player was clearly head & shoulders better at QB or RB, that player would start. But, if it's very close to a tie, the older player will get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to starting.

So, it's not a case of someone else being equal to Morgan or Mo. It would have to be a case where the other player was clearly, no question, 100% better in order for that player to start. and I don't think we've reached that threshold.

Look, Fleck is extremely loyal to his veteran players, especially for guys like Morgan and Mo who have literally been with Fleck starting with his first season at MN.

So yes, they are going to get the benefit of the doubt when deciding who starts and allocating playing time.

Now, I tend to believe that, if another player was clearly head & shoulders better at QB or RB, that player would start. But, if it's very close to a tie, the older player will get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to starting.

So, it's not a case of someone else being equal to Morgan or Mo. It would have to be a case where the other player was clearly, no question, 100% better in order for that player to start. and I don't think we've reached that threshold.
Agreed... I believe there is a competition at every position.. however you must CLEARLY beat out the incumbent.. as game experience can not be replaced....

That's a really solid angle. In a couple of games, a little better is all we needed to pull out a W.

You and btown win the Gullibility Award. You guys literally believe every word from Fleck, don't you? 😂
This isn't even about agreeing with something Fleck said. This is about disagreeing with fictional words being put in his mouth by people that are just assuming things that make no logical sense.

But sure, go ahead and try to make it into something it isn't.

This happens all the time. You talk to players about their role. And if you blow smoke up your players’ asses your program falls apart long term

Do you think coaches don’t meet with players? Or do you think they tell players whatever they want to hear? Short term that might be better but long term not sustainable
Everybody was happy to hear the injured RB’s were coming back, unfortunately it pushes back the younger RB’s and they have new freshmen coming in. This whole Covid situation creates a backlog at many positions that hurts the younger players. Same thing with Tanner…. It is nice to have the experience back, but college sports is a based upon constant turnover.

If Potts comes back 100%, (which I believe he will), then I see no real difference between Potts & Thomas. Similar size, similar styles, similar production, etc. I guess you get an extra year of eligibility out of Thomas, but this is not an insurmountable loss. Mo/Potts/Bucky (will get his for sure)/ and Williams. We're good.
Good take, although I think Ky had a bit more speed than Trey. Bucky is the blazer of the group and the most shifty. Mo is phenomenal in nearly all phases, can he be the same? If so they will be fine at RB. Definitely don’t fault Ky because of wanting to be the feature back and looking at NIL deals and the NFL after next year (I think he will go after next year to the NFL if he has a good year). Thanks for the great year here and best of luck to you!

And you seem convinced he is lying because....why? I get that Morgan isn't the second coming of Tom Brady, but he's a proven winner. You might have noticed that ZA and Clark are still floating in the portal.
I think the debate here is what Fleck actually means by an open competition. There may very well be a truly open competition at some positions but few believe Tanner will have to prove himself to keep his QB1 job.

So long as Tanner doesn't come into the season having forgot the plays and/or can no longer throw a remotely accurate ball more than 10 yards he will be our QB1.

Do you think ZA or Clark haven't received offers yet?

Bob was responding to me... I said if mo was at 85-90% of his former self he will carry it over 200 times this season... why does everything here need to become a bitch fest... Fuck..y'all suck ass... Just fucking move on... Every damn thread... bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch...... Get off the computer and go bust a nut and relieve some stress
I believe that a number of the posters you are addressing with your comments may need to stay on their computers to get this accomplished.

I have zero insight, but at the beginning of the year, I kept wondering where Ky was. It's as if he was forgotten or not even considered. Even after the first couple of injuries, Bucky got into games and Ky was no where to be seen. I honestly think that caused a little resentment in Ky, probably not buying 100% into Fleck anymore. And now knowing these injured guys are coming back, he would just rather go elsewhere, where he hopes to be the feature back.

I don't think this is a smart move at all for him. Grass ain't always greener. I honestly think his best option is here. He'd be 2nd or 3rd next year.
Agreed, also, health is an asset. Don't think you really want to be a bellcow back in college anymore.

for 2021: catches by RB's

Ky -- 6 rec - 44 yds - 7.3 avg
Bucky -- 8 rec - 73 yds - 9.1 avg
Potts -- 2 rec - 14 yds - 7.0 avg
Bryce -- 1 rec - 19 yds - 19.0 avg
LeCaptain -- 1 rec - 11 yds -- 11.0 avg

No RB's caught a TD pass this season.

Out of 152 completed passes, 18 went to RB's. - 11.8%
I guess I was imprecise with my remark. I meant with an overabundance of RBs, could not one or more of them be assigned a WR position to keep them on the roster?

I think the debate here is what Fleck actually means by an open competition. There may very well be a truly open competition at some positions but few believe Tanner will have to prove himself to keep his QB1 job.

So long as Tanner doesn't come into the season having forgot the plays and/or can no longer throw a remotely accurate ball more than 10 yards he will be our QB1.

Do you think ZA or Clark haven't received offers yet?
To your last part, they may have gotten offers but clearly haven't gotten one that they like since they are still sitting out there without a 2022 destination.

To the first part, Tanner absolutely has to prove himself to keep the job, and he has done that, time and time and time again.

Fleck has shown he isn't the kind of coach that is just going to bench a guy for struggling a little bit. Some will see that as a good thing and others will see that as a fault.

I guess I was imprecise with my remark. I meant with an overabundance of RBs, could not one or more of them be assigned a WR position to keep them on the roster?
I get where you are coming from with the idea but to do that it means you take a WR out of the mix to line another player up in his spot who is playing out of position and is almost certainly a downgrade at the position the same way it would be a downgrade in most cases to take a WR and move him to RB.

Plus the RB would have to be on board with the position change, and a lot of guys aren't going to be in the current landscape where they can jump into the portal if they are not happy with their current situation.

Everybody was happy to hear the injured RB’s were coming back, unfortunately it pushes back the younger RB’s and they have new freshmen coming in. This whole Covid situation creates a backlog at many positions that hurts the younger players. Same thing with Tanner…. It is nice to have the experience back, but college sports is a based upon constant turnover.
Exactly. Young guys are being asked to wait longer because COVID tenures are six years for many …

To your last part, they may have gotten offers but clearly haven't gotten one that they like since they are still sitting out there without a 2022 destination.

To the first part, Tanner absolutely has to prove himself to keep the job, and he has done that, time and time and time again.

Fleck has shown he isn't the kind of coach that is just going to bench a guy for struggling a little bit. Some will see that as a good thing and others will see that as a fault.
Last graph not entirel true. He will pull backs for fumbling -- Shannon Brooks, Wiley. He replaced the right tackle in 2018 and took time away from Dunlap in 2021. I am sure there are other examples such as James Gordon disappearing from playing time.

It is pretty clear PJ has a different standard for QB position. In time we may find out it was not about Morgan as much as the position itself. He did stay with Zach a game or two after he was limping.

I'm disappointed we are losing Ky and I really enjoyed his power running style. He had a knack of always gaining positive yardage. I can understand this move in search of a more permanent starting role at a different school and wish him the best of luck.

Unless he goes to another B1G school. Then he's dead to me.

I know for a FACT that the coaches sit down with each and every player at the end of the year and go over what they need to do in the offseason. Are they told where they are on the depth chart? Probably not, but if questions are asked, it’s part of the conversation. I know this from when Limegrower was here and I assume this continues……good luck Ky….enjoyed watched you run!!!

Top Bottom