Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

for some reason, I thought Esko was out in the boonies, but it's not that far from Duluth.

just off the top of my head, I can't think of too many 4* players from outstate MN. Maybe someone with more computer skills than I possess can check into that.

as a guy who grew up in rural MN, it's fun to see players from smaller communities getting recognized. back in the 1960's, there was an OL from Peterson, MN who played for the Gophers. (can't remember the name.......)

Getting Antoine Winfield to stay at Minnesota when he took over the helm was PJ's best recruitment so far as even Antoine SR wanted him to leave and now to have Antoine Winfield help seal the deal on a 4 Star Recruit shows you just strong the Culture is at Minnesota. I'm sure the kid is turning down a lot of NIL upfront money from Helmet Schools, but he is buying into Flecks program. Fleck said he wanted to close the border when it comes to recruiting, this is a major step in that direction. Kudo's to the program that Fleck has created and Welcome to the Maroon and Gold young man!

for some reason, I thought Esko was out in the boonies, but it's not that far from Duluth.

just off the top of my head, I can't think of too many 4* players from outstate MN. Maybe someone with more computer skills than I possess can check into that.

as a guy who grew up in rural MN, it's fun to see players from smaller communities getting recognized. back in the 1960's, there was an OL from Peterson, MN who played for the Gophers. (can't remember the name.......)
According to 24/7 in the last 5 years:
2020 - Yahya Black from Marshall (didn't commit anywhere?)
2019 - Jason Williamson from Owatonna (Minnesota)

Admittedly, I never heard of Yahya Black but looks like he signed with Iowa.

Having grown up in Duluth, we always considered it the boonies.

While he wasn't a 4star, I always take pride at seeing Ham of the Vikings on tv as he came from my HS(Denfeld).

Getting Antoine Winfield to stay at Minnesota when he took over the helm was PJ's best recruitment so far as even Antoine SR wanted him to leave and now to have Antoine Winfield help seal the deal on a 4 Star Recruit shows you just strong the Culture is at Minnesota. I'm sure the kid is turning down a lot of NIL upfront money from Helmet Schools, but he is buying into Flecks program. Fleck said he wanted to close the border when it comes to recruiting, this is a major step in that direction. Kudo's to the program that Fleck has created and Welcome to the Maroon and Gold young man!
What are you referring to here?

I assume it's just that they had a conversation at the weekend scrimmage and it couldn't have hurt the recruitment. I would think it was helpful to have an NFL safety on campus when you are recruiting a kid at the same position.
Thanks. I didn't hear about that.

Already mentioned, but for me the most satisfying thing was PJ and Rossi reeling in a Minnesota kid who has potential to develop into a star … when 247 had him 100% to the fadgers. This is really a feel good commitment. Welcome Koi!

What are you referring to here?
From Gopher Illustrated

Perich enjoyed getting to meet Winfield Jr. in person for the first time.

"He's cool, man. He's laid back and chill. He's real, too. He didn't try to tell me that Minnesota is just the greatest college ever, but he told me it's about fit and that was the right fit for him was with the Gophers. He just gave me and Wyatt Gilmore some advice because we were pretty much together the whole time.

Already mentioned, but for me the most satisfying thing was PJ and Rossi reeling in a Minnesota kid who has potential to develop into a star … when 247 had him 100% to the fadgers. This is really a feel good commitment. Welcome Koi!
I'm curious about what that ONE Crystal ball to the Badgers on 247 was based off of... it was done early in the process. Not very legit in my eyes, but if it makes us all feel better that we stole one from the Badgers, then great.

I'm curious about what that ONE Crystal ball to the Badgers on 247 was based off of... it was done early in the process. Not very legit in my eyes, but if it makes us all feel better that we stole one from the Badgers, then great.
The crystal ball was entered the day after Wisconsin offered him so not sure it had to do with anything other than that.

If I’m not mistaken the crystal ball means that one guy who is “insider” enough to be recognized by the recruiting website was confident enough to predict him to wisconsin.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as many Gopher Holers do, but this kid's offer list is really impressive to me. I'm genuinely curious: how many Minnesota high school football players get that many impressive offers from top-notch football programs?

Last edited:

I don't follow recruiting as closely as many Gopher Holers do, but this kid's offer list is really impressive to me. I'm genuinely curious: how many Minnesota high school football players get that many impressive offers from top-notch football programs?
Probably about 5-8 each year can pull off that type of offer list. Some shut down recruitment if they commit early, so you don't get to see the full list.

I agree, it’s fun to to see Northern MN kids being recruited by the Gophers. Growing up in Northern MN myself, my dad often talked about his hometown hero’s from Biwabik, Kraig Lofquist and Jim Fulgham. Lofquist was All Big Ten in 1964. He had 6 interceptions as a d back and also played RB on offense. Fulgham was on the D line. I guess Warmath was one of the last Big Ten coach’s who preferred 2 way players. Maybe PJ will have caravans of cars coming down from Northern MN like the glory days! Good for the Perich kid!

From Gopher Illustrated

Perich enjoyed getting to meet Winfield Jr. in person for the first time.

"He's cool, man. He's laid back and chill. He's real, too. He didn't try to tell me that Minnesota is just the greatest college ever, but he told me it's about fit and that was the right fit for him was with the Gophers. He just gave me and Wyatt Gilmore some advice because we were pretty much together the whole time.
Wonder what Whyatt Gilmore is thinking now?

The predictions are not very legit from what I’ve seen because they are allowed to change them. I’ve seen it a lot where they change right before an announcement.

Antoine Winfield Jr being around the practice, and talking with Perich was great.

In addition to that Perich also had a chance to chat with Dom Barber, another former Gopher safety with NFL cred, plus Tyler Nubin is projected as a 1st or 2nd rounder next year, and Jordan Howden may have moved himself into the late rounds of the NFL draft this year.

Check out Wyatt Gilmore’s offer list. And his unofficial visits, chronicled on his Twitter account. He’d be another great get for this class if he stays home.

I agree, it’s fun to to see Northern MN kids being recruited by the Gophers. Growing up in Northern MN myself, my dad often talked about his hometown hero’s from Biwabik, Kraig Lofquist and Jim Fulgham. Lofquist was All Big Ten in 1964. He had 6 interceptions as a d back and also played RB on offense. Fulgham was on the D line. I guess Warmath was one of the last Big Ten coach’s who preferred 2 way players. Maybe PJ will have caravans of cars coming down from Northern MN like the glory days! Good for the Perich kid!
Add in Frank Youso from IF who played in NFL and a guy by the name of Bud Grant from Superior.

Man this kid has a serious offer list. Must have torn it up at the camps and is the real deal! Glad to see you are staying! Keep it rolling PJ, looks like a very good class so far!

Top Bottom