Koi Perich Commits to Gophers!!!!!!!!!

for some reason, I thought Esko was out in the boonies, but it's not that far from Duluth.

just off the top of my head, I can't think of too many 4* players from outstate MN. Maybe someone with more computer skills than I possess can check into that.

as a guy who grew up in rural MN, it's fun to see players from smaller communities getting recognized. back in the 1960's, there was an OL from Peterson, MN who played for the Gophers. (can't remember the name.......)
Highly recruited (multiple listed Power 5 offers, not necessarily 4-star) players from outstate MN (using Rivals since 247's site is screwed up for historical searches) since 2003:
2003 John Carlson, Litchfield (Notre Dame)
2004 Lydon Murtha, Hutchinson (Nebraska)
2004 Nathan Swift, Hutchinson (Nebraska)
2006 Kyle Sheehan, Fairmont (Purdue)
2009 Casey Dehn, Owatonna (wisconsin)
2011 Tyler Marz, Springfield (wisconsin)
2012 Jonah Pirsig, Blue Earth (Minnesota)
2014 Andrew Stelter, Owatonna (Minnesota)
2017 Blaise Andries, Marshall (Minnesota)
2018 Brevyn Spann-Ford, St. Cloud (Minnesota)

2020 Aaron Witt, Winona (wisconsin)
2020 Yahya Black, Marshall (Iowa)
2022 Deylin Hasert, Marshall (Iowa St.)
2022 Mehki Collins, Mankato (NDAC)
2022 Kristen Hoskins, Alexandria (Minnesota)
2023 Elinneus Davis, Moorhead (Washington)
2023 Reese Tripp, Kasson-Mantorville (Minnesota)

That's a mangy looking gopher!
AI stuff is hilarious to me. It has that uncanny valley quality where it's so close it's weird.

The one thing that's interesting is that AI always struggles with hands. There are AI generated photos of fake people and the hands are off and this Gopher appears to be 6-7 fingers and they kind of look like stringy worms.

for some reason, I thought Esko was out in the boonies, but it's not that far from Duluth.

just off the top of my head, I can't think of too many 4* players from outstate MN. Maybe someone with more computer skills than I possess can check into that.

as a guy who grew up in rural MN, it's fun to see players from smaller communities getting recognized. back in the 1960's, there was an OL from Peterson, MN who played for the Gophers. (can't remember the name.......)
I can remember an OL from Caledonia in about 1970. Caledonia is about 20 miles or so from Peterson named Darrel Bunge who started for the Gophers. Also, in the 60s, the King brothers from Chatfield played LB for the Gophers. Wayne and Ron King. I grew up in SE Minnesota and remember them

That offer list includes Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Michigan, Nebraska, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Washington, Wisconsin.

Wowza!

Many of these are top schools academically, too. Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Michigan, etc. He must be an excellent student as well.

I can remember an OL from Caledonia in about 1970. Caledonia is about 20 miles or so from Peterson named Darrel Bunge who started for the Gophers. Also, in the 60s, the King brothers from Chatfield played LB for the Gophers. Wayne and Ron King. I grew up in SE Minnesota and remember them

I think the guy from Peterson was named Dale Hegland. Peterson had some good teams back then. they had a RB named Terry Highum who was a heck of an athlete.

and now that you bring it up, I remember Bunge too. So there were a couple of guys from that area with the Gophers in the early 70's. I grew up in Houston - graduated from HS in '73.

I think the guy from Peterson was named Dale Hegland. Peterson had some good teams back then. they had a RB named Terry Highum who was a heck of an athlete.

and now that you bring it up, I remember Bunge too. So there were a couple of guys from that area with the Gophers in the early 70's. I grew up in Houston - graduated from HS in '73.
I grew up in Spring Valley (71) and Highum was my Mom's maiden name.

This is an interesting recruiting year watching all the local kids commit. I know it’s a stretch but does anyone think it might be related to NIL in some way? Something’s changed. It co

This is an interesting recruiting year watching all the local kids commit. I know it’s a stretch but does anyone think it might be related to NIL in some way? Something’s changed. It co
Minnesota had 7 of the top 11 in state last year as well. As Well as picking up 15 as a walk on punter

Probably more of a focus on local recruits as they are less likely to transfer. More portal related than NIL in my opinion.

It's related to 29 wins in the last three full seasons.

He is gone. No more mention of the Gophers on his profile. As the local hotshot he never had the feeling he is getting from the NFL factories.

He is gone. No more mention of the Gophers on his profile. As the local hotshot he never had the feeling he is getting from the NFL factories.
It does not hurt that Minnesota has been sending DBs into the NFL with a bit of regularity lately.

How can we compete when one of the big boys gives our commits eleven offers?
Gotta hope that he really, really wants to row the boat... If PJ can get (and keep) the kid engaged and buying into his Row The Boat philosophy, the Gophers have a chance to keep him home.

If not, he goes wherever he gets the best offer.

Gophers fans are like the Woody Allen of the college football world: neurotic and insecure. If I was a young football recruit today I'd consider that a negative factor.

Perich is a genuine talent who could turn out to be a very good football player, and I hope we get him. But if not, the Gophers will roll without him.

The #1 example of this, is of course, the best recruit we ever had. Bronko.

Top Bottom