Knuth No Longer with Team

If you are going to encourage a Nekton Mentality (which is good) you can't be surprised when guys don't just sit around and idly wait for their shot.

Barring injury to AK he was never going to play for years. Who knows what other QBs will be added by then.
Yeah, I think the days of most QBs patiently waiting 3 years to play their senior year are pretty much over. They will all just transfer to a lower level.

Yeah, I think the days of most QBs patiently waiting 3 years to play their senior year are pretty much over. They will all just transfer to a lower level.
Yeah I remember during FSU’s dominance they’d always have a junior or senior at QB. Now the only chance is maybe if you get a local guy like Kramer, but not sure a more polished local guy would even wait.

The timing for many of these seems so weird. It’s not a surprise he was going to be a backup at best. If he wants to play, I get it. But why not transfer earlier so he can be in spring ball for his new team?
Portal opens on Saturday I believe.

Max's son will now, probably, run as the No. 4 QB in 2023 (unless PJ takes a transfer). That's OK. Local kid; good game resume; ... could stand to add 20+ pounds!

As for Cole K at No. 2, he's smart and experienced. Might not have the deep throw skill of Knuth, but, maybe, in our new offense--possible throws to RBs, fair amount of TE throws, quick RPO throws to slot receiver--he would be a good performer. And he can take off and run, adding a "QB option" element to the binary RB run/QB pass RPO employed for Tanner.

Max's son will now, probably, run as the No. 4 QB in 2023 (unless PJ takes a transfer). That's OK. Local kid; good game resume; ... could stand to add 20+ pounds!

As for Cole K at No. 2, he's smart and experienced. Might not have the deep throw skill of Knuth, but, maybe, in our new offense--possible throws to RBs, fair amount of TE throws, quick RPO throws to slot receiver--he would be a good performer. And he can take off and run, adding a "QB option" element to the binary RB run/QB pass RPO employed for Tanner.

He hasn't proven he can run well at all. He's just big. He runs about as well as he throws.

Why would he want to sit behind Athan for 3 more years just to maybe have a chance to play 1?

Viotto's highlights are impressive as well.....he had a Maryland offer. He didn't put up gaudy stats because he had Darius Taylor running the ball. If, in fact, he had passed up Knuth (first i've heard that was on here) than it makes sense with Knuth would want to leave.

Last edited:

Wasn't Iowa recruiting him too? Odds that Gophers_4life's head explodes if he transfers there (or any other B1G team)?
His runner-up was Kansas State. Visited there a week before signing day and PJ was unsure he would sign with us until his fax came in. And yes his 247 profile lists an Iowa offer.

Barring injury to AK he was never going to play for years. Who knows what other QBs will be added by then.
I really think it could be simple as this.

Think about this: you've been built up during high school, as the next coming of John Elway, whatever. Your parents, your extended family, your friends, your coaches, all want a piece of you and your "brand" because you're going to the NFL to be a national star soon.

And then you get here .... and you're just average. You're not going to be the starter this year year or next year or maybe the year after that.

That has to be incredible hard to deal, for some. I don't think some can deal with it.

Fleck talked about an egg smashing against the wall an yoke pouring down, or you break through the wall.

Problem is the vast majority of these kids are not going to transfer into any better of a situation.
If you want to play, now, transfer down.

Agree with you though because a lot of kids are trying to transfer sideways, thinking they just happened to land at a bad situation.

Not likely to get anything in the portal at QB. Good ones are moving to start at a better school, not to back up a sophomore.

The best way to look at this is to realize Knuth has had the opportunity to see Viotto play. It's not about Kramer.
Yeah I think this is the most likely explanantion. My guess is that Kramer graduates and is gone after this season as well.

Not likely to get anything in the portal at QB. Good ones are moving to start at a better school, not to back up a sophomore.

The best way to look at this is to realize Knuth has had the opportunity to see Viotto play. It's not about Kramer.
PJ has a knack for finding guys playing at a lower level who have demonstrated growth/ability to play at a higher level. Maybe he’s on to a lower level QB who wants to, and deserves to, transfer up and hasn’t yet declared in the portal. Parents talk; coached talk. Might be related to why Knuth and Philo both hit the road within a few days of each other. Pure speculation, of course. Knuth and Philo, on the other hand, could well be totally unrelated and coincidental. I’m rambling …

He is likely a better judge of his competition than any of us are. Trust his judgment.
When it comes to committing and also the portal, I thought we were supposed to trust in God?

I'm confused.

Anyone who transfers out for playing time is doing so based on their own assessment of the competition. They are there every day at practice, in workouts, in position meetings, and listening to coaches.

We are in cyberspace, posting on a message board, reacting to crap that is on average 92.684% buffalo chips.

Trust the kids. They all know where they stand and what they need to do.
There you go being reasonable and making sense again. :)

PJ has a knack for finding guys playing at a lower level who have demonstrated growth/ability to play at a higher level. Maybe he’s on to a lower level QB who wants to, and deserves to, transfer up and hasn’t yet declared in the portal.
So you're suggesting that a QB who is currently successful at a lower level would enter the portal to come here...and be a backup?

Yeah, I think you're just rambling, like you said.

Portal opens on Saturday I believe.
I'm talking about the winter window. It's no surprise he probably isn't going to get to play much or at all for a few years. Just seems like it would have made sense to transfer then so he's in spring ball with his new team.

Something seems up when the top 2024 QB recruit decommits and the RS QB is hitting the bricks. Meanwhile WI has every single QB known to man on their roster.
I am guessing a number of the WI QBs will transfer once spring is done and they get a read of where they are on the depth chart. There is no clear starter there and I think Athan has the job here where some of our players thought they may compete for a starting role.

I am guessing a number of the WI QBs will transfer once spring is done and they get a read of where they are on the depth chart. There is no clear starter there and I think Athan has the job here where some of our players thought they may compete for a starting role.
I would think the 3 or so that transferred in would definitely have to sit a year if they transferred out again after this spring. Unless, I suppose, they were able to get their degree in their 1 semester at WI.

If you want to play, now, transfer down.

Agree with you though because a lot of kids are trying to transfer sideways, thinking they just happened to land at a bad situation.
And then when you graduate after 4 years, some transfer back up.

PJ has a knack for finding guys playing at a lower level who have demonstrated growth/ability to play at a higher level. Maybe he’s on to a lower level QB who wants to, and deserves to, transfer up and hasn’t yet declared in the portal. Parents talk; coached talk. Might be related to why Knuth and Philo both hit the road within a few days of each other. Pure speculation, of course. Knuth and Philo, on the other hand, could well be totally unrelated and coincidental. I’m rambling …
I doubt the Knuth and Philo situations are connected.

Top Bottom