Kill addresses previous comments on Fleck: "I said my piece and that was it. I moved on...I said what I said and move on in life."

BleedGopher

Reaction score
On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie interviewed Kill about him being a "fix it guy", his fond memories of Minnesota and the fans, etc. Towards the end of the interview Doogie asked Kill about his comments on Fleck.

Doogie: Your comments on PJ Fleck, is everything in the past now?

Kill: I need to focus on what I need to do. PJ needs to focus on what he needs to do. I've got enough things I need to worry about and I'm sure he's got a lot more to worry about than Jerry Kill. Like I said I moved on with my life, I have a lot of things going on. And I moved away from that, I'm not dealing with it, I said my piece, and that was it. I moved on...Life is very short and you only get to go around it one time and sometimes I think we get focused on all those things and so forth and my focus needs to be on things I can control and take care of my family and PJ has to do things the way he wants to do them and focus in on his family and he's won ball games, so hey! At the end of the day I did give him his start...it's gone, I'm not worried about it and I don't have time to worry about it. It's not worth it. I said what I said and move on in life.

Go Gophers!!

On his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie interviewed Kill about him being a "fix it guy", his fond memories of Minnesota and the fans, etc. Towards the end of the interview Doogie asked Kill about his comments on Fleck.

Doogie: Your comments on PJ Fleck, is everything in the past now?

Kill: I need to focus on what I need to do. PJ needs to focus on what he needs to do. I've got enough things I need to worry about and I'm sure he's got a lot more to worry about than Jerry Kill. Like I said I moved on with my life, I have a lot of things going on. And I moved away from that, I'm not dealing with it, I said my piece, and that was it. I moved on...Life is very short and you only get to go around it one time and sometimes I think we get focused on all those things and so forth and my focus needs to be on things I can control and take care of my family and PJ has to do things the way he wants to do them and focus in on his family and he's won ball games, so hey! At the end of the day I did give him his start...it's gone, I'm not worried about it and I don't have time to worry about it. It's not worth it. I said what I said and move on in life.

Go Gophers!!
go away jerry.

btw ... you gave PJ his start? did I read that right? Jerry... you're a dumbling idiot.

<corrected a spelling error>

Whoops. Someone has some letting go to do.

I was a student during Kill’s first couple of seasons and had fond memories of him. Unfortunately, his insecurity and passive aggressive public statements have permanently tarnished his reputation in my mind.

I liked Kill. I liked Claeys, and I like PJ.

How about we stop interviewing Kill altogether, unless there is a really significant reason. He has been gone for five years now.

The program has moved on from his stamp, we are in VERY capable hands, and we do not need his approval.

He's moved on a few times already. Last move was to TCU.
I echo a lot of comments here. I liked him when he was here, but the State of Minnesota has and needs to continue to move on also and look to the present/future. Thanks Jerry for what you did, but time to focus on what we have currently.

Go Gophers!!

Reading that "answer" from Kill the only thing that comes to mind is......

Kill wasn't the problem. The problem was Doogie. No need to ask that question.

While I agree the question was unnecessary you know Dougie was hoping Kill would step in it again.

I don't see what's wrong with his latest comments and why some of you are taking shots? He sounds like he's moving on to me.

Yep. Doogie is just throwing click bait out there. No reason for Doogie to go there and absolutely no reason for ol' Country Jer to answer as he did. It is over and done with. PJF has been a great hire and Jer was a good hire at the time. But Jer didn't have to answer as he did!!

Kill is stubborn and holds grudges, like many of us.

Fleck and AD Mark Coil pissed him off, due to the criticisms of the culture and in Mark Coil's case, for also firing his loyal DC who won 9 games.

Kill probably realizes now he was being an A'hole, and the comments about Fleck were over the line but he is stubborn and all he could offer up was what he said. He probably respects Fleck more now, based on what happened this year, but he is not going to come out and say it.

I liked JK then and hope he does well at TCU, but for a simple ol' country boy, he is pretty arrogant,, thin skinned and complex, and a sponge for attention.

Kill is stubborn and holds grudges, like many of us.

Fleck and AD Mark Coil pissed him off, due to the criticisms of the culture and in Mark Coil's case, for also firing his loyal DC who won 9 games.

Kill probably realizes now he was being an A'hole, and the comments about Fleck were over the line but he is stubborn and all he could offer up was what he said. He probably respects Fleck more now, based on what happened this year, but he is not going to come out and say it.

I liked JK then and hope he does well at TCU, but for a simple ol' country boy, he is pretty arrogant,, thin skinned and complex, and a sponge for attention.

The "Coil" thing has to be a joke, yeah?

Reporter asks question ANY reporter would ask, Kill knew would be asked, still ***** up answer, and the reporter is the problem?

Nope, dont think so.

there was a time when I would have supported naming the football field after Kill but not now. Kill could have been gracious, taken the high ground but ...

I liked the job Jerry Kill did for us. He rescued us from the abyss after Brewster. I did not care for the gutless dropping of UNC or his conservative offense but he gave me a reason to believe we could beat anyone we played. I felt this was with Mason as well. I loved the wins over Michigan, Nebrask, Iowa and even how well we played USC at the Colosseum.

It was horrible that Jerry had to leave with his health problems but he has sure job hopped since then. I also do not like the "I gave PJ his start" comments. Totally untrue and self-serving. More importantly, I will never understand the fascination of some of our media members that they feel the need to interview him a couple of times a year. I do not remember this with any other former Gopher coach outside of Mason who now is an analyst. Media - move on and let Jerry move on. I sure have and believe that vast majority of fans have as well.

Last edited:

there was a time when I would have supported naming the football field after Kill but not now.
There are many Kill fans who still think the football field should be named after him. Kill was a good coach who brought the U’s football program back to respectability. That’s it nothing more. He certainly isn't name the football field after worthy.

Kill has proven to be what many thought he was when he was here. Just another good college football coach with a huge ego.

Back when this all started, Jerry wasn't responding to questions about PJ. He steered an already-completed interview on a topic that had absolutely nothing to do with the Gophers into a highly personal diatribe about PJ Fleck and "his first wife." It's entirely fair game that Jerry be asked about it. He created the issue and now he has to live with it.

Top Bottom