Kill addresses previous comments on Fleck: "I said my piece and that was it. I moved on...I said what I said and move on in life."

Reporter asks question ANY reporter would ask, Kill knew would be asked, still ***** up answer, and the reporter is the problem?

Nope, dont think so.
Yup.
All that fraud had to say was, “I’m happy for him and team. The team, university, and state will always have a special place in my heart”.

But he didn't do that. People show their true colors once they leave and/or don’t need you anymore. Glad Kill is gone.

I liked the job Jerry Kill did for us. He rescued us from the abyss after Brewster. I did not care for the gutless dropping of UNC or his conservative offense but he gave me a reason to believe we could beat anyone we played. I felt this was with Mason as well. I loved the wins over Michigan, Nebrask, Iowa and even how well we played USC at the Colosseum.

It was horrible that Jerry had to leave with his health problems but he has sure job hopped since then. I also do not like the "I gave PJ his start" comments. Totally untrue and self-serving. More importantly, I will never understand the fascination of some of our media members that they feel the need to interview him a couple of times a year. I do not remember this with any other former Gopher coach outside of Mason who now is an analyst. Media - move on and let Jerry move on. I sure have and believe that vast majority of fans have as well.
They interview him because he keeps saying S he shouldn’t say, which in turn provides something to write about and gets clicks from people like us. He will be interviewed again and he will F up again. Very similar to his handling of quarterbacks.

I haven't heard any talk about naming the field after Kill. If naming the field after anyone is even being considered, how about naming it after someone who has won something? Bierman, Warmath, Bruce Smith, Bronco?
Brewster Field on Wacker Avenue?

Kill's legacy is cleaning up and the Gopher Football program after Brewster and the hard push for the Athletic Village to the finish line.

His legacy may be tarnished by one faux pas.

That is really really sad IMHO. He has done so much for Gopher Football. It was under Claeys that player accountability went out the door. Shenanigans happened under Claeys' watch. He is a good X & O guy. But, he lacked the other skills required of a football coach. It would have been different if Kill didn't have the seizures and was still the head coach.

I don't think keeping Claeys was in Coyle's long term plans. He wants Gopher Football to reach prominence. Claeys' public support for the player protest and the sex scandal gave Coyle a perfect cover to make the move to replace him with Fleck. The rest is history which is still being written.

When Coyle and Fleck were talking about culture, Kill took it personally as an affront to the football culture he created at the U. A tad of jealousy probably made things worse. He lashed out in a public way and said very personal things about Fleck he probably regrets. This will haunt him forever.

It is time to move on. Let time heal old wounds, and focus on college football restarting.

The Fleck comments were the last straw for a lot of people but Kill did plenty prior to that to tarnish his legacy here. Had he retired and stayed retired he would have been a folk hero.....but of course we all know that didn't happen as he is on what job 5 since he left?

Kill's place in the history of Gopher football should be very similar to Mason's. Good coach, did some good things, had some obvious shortcomings as well and was never able to get the team to the next level. He doesn't deserve anything more then that because he didn't earn it.

Kill is a football guy through and through and I can respect that about him. But even when he was still here, his "I'm a homely guy with a hot wife. Do the math." schtick got old with me. His skin is thinner than an onion's and he plays full-contact checkers. I get all that, but I think he needs to take a step back and think his responses through.

Doogie is just stirring the pot as is the rest of the Twin Cities media whenever they sit down with Kill. Same thing is going on in Green Bay after the Packers drafted Jordan Love. Instead of just leaving things sit, reporters just dig on every angle ad nauseum. I'm not going to rag on him for asking the question, but it does get old. Kill doesn't like Fleck. It's a non-story.

It must be a reference to those things in the ground that heat the field. But they were removed so I'm not sure why he brought them up.
Some folks just cant move on.

ol' jer' is a egotistical and self-serving ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men, then abandons them all and spits on them--and football is his vehicle. if jer' hasn't moved on from him blasting fleck and his wife, he's not moving on because he's focusing on impacting the boys in texas so that he can abandon them as well.

Kill is just lucky he coached after Brewster instead of Mason. People vastly over estimate the size of the hole Brewster put the program in, and thus elevate the amount of success they attribute to Kill. It's not like Brew inherited a stacked roster from Mason either.

Jerry, thanks for everything , but take a page from Lou Holtz and just pretend you never coached here. We've heard enough.

The saddest moment of my decades long Gopher football fandom was Kill's seizure on the sidelines. The man's health sufferings and whole soul efforts for the Gophers make him off limits for some stray comment about Fleck.
Worse than the SDSU beating? How about when Jerry’s NIU team pulled our pants down so far the ad went and pulled a Monson? And the losS to nmsu

Last edited:

I got your point.

But that's an assumption, not a fact.

Thus, it doesn't count on his coaching record. It really is that simple.
Hence why it's perfectly reasonable to conjecture just barely outside the official coaching record, as is the case if, for example, he hadn't been forced to leave NIU before the bowl game that they won anyway and would've won by just as much if he hadn't been required to leave.

I really wish Coach Kill would have taken the opportunity to explain his previous comments better so everyone could move on. If he'd said he had an emotional response after interpreting some of Coach Fleck's comments as criticism of how he ran his program, I think we'd understand. If he took the time to realize that Coach Fleck was simply installing HIS culture, not trashing Kill's culture, we could all move on. The defensive nature of his response lets everything linger.

Thank you Coach Kill for getting us out of the muck. Thank you Coach Fleck for giving the program wings.
Ha .. ha ha ... ha ha .. hahahaha

Yep, seems like people have "moved on" pretty well, judging by this thread!

Here's all I need to know about Coach Kill.....I read that he liked to fish so at a Signing Day Social his first year I bought him my favorite Rapala lure and presented it to him and said I heard you like to fish, this one has been good for me here in MN, I hope you get a chance to use it on some local lakes.

Kill asked me for my name and address and a couple of weeks later he sent me a very nice personalized hand written Thank you note.

That's all I need to know about the man. He'll always be classy and OK in my book.

Did he get a little riled up when asked an emotional question? Probably..... but who amongst us has not done the same? I know I have.

Here's all I need to know about Coach Kill.....I read that he liked to fish so at a Signing Day Social his first year I bought him my favorite Rapala lure and presented it to him and said I heard you like to fish, this one has been good for me here in MN, I hope you get a chance to use it on some local lakes.

Kill asked me for my name and address and a couple of weeks later he sent me a very nice personalized hand written Thank you note.

That's all I need to know about the man. He'll always be classy and OK in my book.

Did he get a little riled up when asked an emotional question? Probably..... but who amongst us has not done the same? I know I have.
People are complex. Kill, like most humans, has both positive characteristics and flaws. Way too many people these days view the world in black and white.

Kill clearly is a class guy to a point. Unfortunately he tarnished himself all due to Fleck being here. If it were any other coach I'm not so certain he would have gotten all riled up. Kill has to understand that every coach has a different way of running the program. Fleck clearly wasn't accepted 100% when he first got here. My hats to Fleck for staying out of the fray with Kill.

Good gesture on behalf of Triple D for giving Kill a fishing lure for Minnesota lakes. Gifts like that goes a long ways.

I have moved on from Kill for the most part, but still enjoy having a laugh at the various things that come out of his mouth. I will ask one question - if Kill is a "fix-it" guy, explain the Gophers' offense during his tenure or the Rutgers offense when he was OC. Not sure he "fixed" anything.

I have moved on from Kill for the most part, but still enjoy having a laugh at the various things that come out of his mouth. I will ask one question - if Kill is a "fix-it" guy, explain the Gophers' offense during his tenure or the Rutgers offense when he was OC. Not sure he "fixed" anything.
How about a “Look for situations where there
is nowhere to go but up” guy.

every qb was like u are starting leidner instead a me? I’m gone

2010 he "won" the bowl game NIU played in (and won), he simply was hired by Minnesota before the game and couldn't stay with the team.

2015 he resigned middle of the season, but we went on to win the Quick Lane bowl.
14-21

Agreed. If you were going to name the field after anyone wouldn't Bierman/Warmath top the list?...national championships, Rose Bowls...Kill? Really? These are probably the same fans who couldn't believe the U wouldn't hire Jay Sawvel after they fired Tracey Claeys.

We should name it after recently retired turf manager Mike McDonald!

Top Bottom