Kill addresses previous comments on Fleck: "I said my piece and that was it. I moved on...I said what I said and move on in life."

A big part of the Gophers failures, especially when you compare them to rivals Wisconsin and Iowa lie with poor choices for coaches as well as lack of support for them. We finally have a guy in Coyle who looks like he is pretty good at making the right choices for his coaches.

Going back to 1984, their extended search committee yielded Les Steckel who turned down the job to take the Vikings job and go 3-13. They then announced Lavelle Edwards from BYU who probably would have been a great choice except he never put in for the job at all!!! They were then going back to square one and starting all over again but got lucky when Lou Holtz fell into their lap in late December. From there, Bobby Ross really wanted the job and would go on to win a national championship at Georgia Tech but they chose John Gutekunst who turned a team on the upswing into a .500 team and never was a head coach again. Jim Wacker was a disaster but Glen Mason wasn't a bad choice. If he would have recruited defense and placed a priority, he could have been a fantastic coach. Then you have the Brewster hire which was an epic disaster, literally the worst possible choice and you can see why this team has had such a hard time winning games. Jerry Kill was a better choice than I thought he would be, but I am on record for saying we should have gone with Mike Leach. That would have been interesting to say the least.

So a lot of our problems have come from inept athletic directors who ALWAYS seem to get it wrong!!
What sums up Mason is that he got JJ Watt to commit and intended to play him as a TE instead of DE. I also don't understand him turning Alex Daniels into a RB.

College AD's get coaching hires wrong all the time. It's nothing new. Alabama went quite a few years after Bear Bryant with one coaching miss after another. And, of course, Nortre Dame is still looking for the coach who will get them back to their former glory and start winning national championships again after far too many years. Was the Gopher's hiring of Brewster as bad as the Fighting Irish hiring a high school coach after Ara retired? I don't think so - not even close.

Lack of support by the U's administration and bad coaching hires by Gopher AD's has only been part of the problem. The other part has been a Gopher fan base that had gotten so used to losing since the 1960's they starting accepting 6 wins and a 3rd rate bowl game as successful seasons. That is something Alabama and Notre Dame fans never did even when their programs were at their lowest.
I just hope that, if it is going to be Fleck, he wins the Big Ten and a Rose Bowl here before he leaves.

Fleck would have the Pope rowing the boat!!

What sums up Mason is that he got JJ Watt to commit and intended to play him as a TE instead of DE. I also don't understand him turning Alex Daniels into a RB.

Matt Spaeth was also considered to be more of a defensive player coming out of high school and that's one instance where Mason's offensive-centric view worked well. Maybe he saw Watt as the same type of player.

Top Bottom