Kill addresses previous comments on Fleck: "I said my piece and that was it. I moved on...I said what I said and move on in life."

Jerry. Jerry. Jerry. Jerry! Had hoped better from ya! Be humble!

I liked Kill. I liked Claeys, and I like PJ.

How about we stop interviewing Kill altogether, unless there is a really significant reason. He has been gone for five years now.

The program has moved on from his stamp, we are in VERY capable hands, and we do not need his approval.
Because it -- still -- gets clicks, from Gopher fans.

There's already 30+ responses on GopherHole, to this crap.

Same exact reason Reusse trolls us, whenever he gets the urge to itch his nutsack. Because he knows damn well that we're not good enough to stop ourselves from taking the bait. He gets the clicks, every time, and laughs all the way to the bank.

ol' jer' is a ball coach. it's who he is, it's in his blood. he turns boys into men and football is his vehicle. if jer' has moved on from him blasting fleck and his wife, he's moving on because he's focusing on impacting the boys in texas.

“...At the end of the day I did give him his start...”

According to PJ’s wiki page, Joe Novak gave him his start
Ha!

Yes indeed, any way you can possibly slice it, Jerry Kill did not give PJ Fleck his start.

Fleck played for Novak 1999-2003. Jim Tressel hired him as a GA assistant in 2006, after Fleck's two seasons in the NFL. And Novak hired Fleck as WR coach in 2007.

Then Jerry was hired as NIU head coach in 2008.

There are many Kill fans who still think the football field should be named after him. Kill was a good coach who brought the U’s football program back to respectability. That’s it nothing more. He certainly isn't name the football field after worthy.

Kill has proven to be what many thought he was when he was here. Just another good college football coach with a huge ego.

This is what I don't understand about Kill and the perception of him.

Some folks on here laud him for bringing the program back to respectability and I can go with that. But honestly, that's all he did. And that was all he was ever going to do.

As a Division I head coach, he had exactly two jobs (Northern Illinois and Minnesota). He went a combined 52-45 at those two stops and never even won bowl game in his career. Yet, with the reverence some fans and those in the media have for him, you would have thought he had led the program to the highest of highs.

On top of that, he's clearly bitter about how much success Fleck has had here and it's both sad and funny at the same time. He then decided to go public with his personal grudge against P.J. and is too stubborn to apologize or acknowledge he was out of line.

It's actually quite pathetic.

I am convinced that if Jerry wins that orange bowl he was gone. Now he spends his time with what ifs.

Some folks on here laud him for bringing the program back to respectability and I can go with that. But honestly, that's all he did. And that was all he was ever going to do.

As a Division I head coach, he had exactly two jobs (Northern Illinois and Minnesota). He went a combined 52-45 at those two stops and never even won bowl game in his career. Yet, with the reverence some fans and those in the media have for him, you would have thought he had led the program to the highest of highs.

On top of that, he's clearly bitter about how much success Fleck has had here and it's both sad and funny at the same time. He then decided to go public with his personal grudge against P.J. and is too stubborn to apologize or acknowledge he was out of line.

2010 he "won" the bowl game NIU played in (and won), he simply was hired by Minnesota before the game and couldn't stay with the team.

2015 he resigned middle of the season, but we went on to win the Quick Lane bowl.

I am convinced that if Jerry wins that orange bowl he was gone. Now he spends his time with what ifs.
Citrus Bowl, in 2014 season?

Would've been 9-4 overall, still on an upward trajectory (8-5 previous season), but still 5-3 in conference.

If he had beat Wisconsin that same season, would've won the West, gone to the championship game, probably lost, but then talking 6-3 in conf and perhaps 10-4 overall. Then maybe.

Where would he have gone to, though? Would be interesting to look at what high profile jobs were open after the 2014 season.

The saddest moment of my decades long Gopher football fandom was Kill's seizure on the sidelines. The man's health sufferings and whole soul efforts for the Gophers make him off limits for some stray comment about Fleck.

2010 he "won" the bowl game NIU played in (and won), he simply was hired by Minnesota before the game and couldn't stay with the team.

2015 he resigned middle of the season, but we went on to win the Quick Lane bowl.

WTF?

No, he didn't "win" any bowl games during his career.

He resigned during the 2015 season, but gets credit for a bowl-game win in Detroit? A bowl game they literally backed into while going 5-7 during the regular season? Nope, not how it works. He wasn't on the sideline and didn't coach in the game. Please don't try to revise his record to give him credit for things he didn't do.

Same story with Northern Illinois.

He resigned from Northern Illinois before their bowl game to take the job here (which pissed off the players there by the way) and they basically won that game while trying to shove it in Jerry's face. So you want to give him credit for that "win" as well.

Nope. Don't agree with you here at all.

WTF?

No, he didn't "win" any bowl games during his career.

He resigned during the 2015 season, but gets credit for a bowl-game win in Detroit? A bowl game they literally backed into while going 5-7 during the regular season? Nope, not how it works. He wasn't on the sideline and didn't coach in the game. Please don't try to revise his record to give him credit for things he didn't do.

Same story with Northern Illinois.

He resigned from Northern Illinois before their bowl game to take the job here (which pissed off the players there by the way) and they basically won that game while trying to shove it in Jerry's face. So you want to give him credit for that "win" as well.

Nope. Don't agree with you here at all.
That's perfectly valid and just fine. Hence why I used "won" in quotation marks.

I will give him credit for 2010 regardless. He was never given the option to stay with NIU for the bowl game, and most coaches don't stay with the team for the bowl when they move up. Standard operating protocol.

In 2015, if he had officially stayed on as the head coach and just taken a leave of absence, and the season went on exactly the same way it did otherwise, he would've gone down in the books as having won that bowl game (as a 5-7 team going to the game, and against Central Michigan, keep in mind ... so like the least legit bowl win for a Big Ten team of all time).

I don't see what's wrong with his latest comments and why some of you are taking shots? He sounds like he's moving on to me.
You clearly aren't as big of a PJ fan as some others. That is how you show it.

That's perfectly valid and just fine. Hence why I used "won" in quotation marks.

I will give him credit for 2010 regardless. He was never given the option to stay with NIU for the bowl game, and most coaches don't stay with the team for the bowl when they move up. Standard operating protocol.

In 2015, if he had officially stayed on as the head coach and just taken a leave of absence, and the season went on exactly the same way it did otherwise, he would've gone down in the books as having won that bowl game (as a 5-7 team going to the game, and against Central Michigan, keep in mind ... so like the least legit bowl win for a Big Ten team of all time).

I get it, he put together the teams that won those bowl games.

He just didn't actually coach in any of them.

That was my point.

I get it, he put together the teams that won those bowl games.

He just didn't actually coach in any of them.

That was my point.
But they would’ve won if he had coached in them, is my point.

There are many Kill fans who still think the football field should be named after him. Kill was a good coach who brought the U’s football program back to respectability. That’s it nothing more. He certainly isn't name the football field after worthy.

Kill has proven to be what many thought he was when he was here. Just another good college football coach with a huge ego.

Agreed. If you were going to name the field after anyone wouldn't Bierman/Warmath top the list?...national championships, Rose Bowls...Kill? Really? These are probably the same fans who couldn't believe the U wouldn't hire Jay Sawvel after they fired Tracey Claeys.

Your point is dumb though.

We would win the national championship if I was the head coach, please give me credit for the ring.
Not at all the same thing, because we’re talking about the same season that he was the head coach, not a future hypothetical season when you’ve never been the head coach.

But they would’ve won if he had coached in them, is my point.

I got your point.

But that's an assumption, not a fact.

Thus, it doesn't count on his coaching record. It really is that simple.

He did good things. To hold him up like Bernie Bierman or Murray Warmath is just silly. I also believe that Mason inherited a much tougher situation.

I initially and still do blame Doogie for asking the question but Coach Kill did not need to ramble on like he did. It sounded like he has not moved on at all...just my opinion. Again - I do not understand our media's desire to keep contact this guy. He has been gone for five years.

The Myth and Legend of Jerry Kill will forever be far greater than the man actually was for a lot of our fans. He was not in demand when he was hired here but he came in and righted the ship after the mess of the Brewster years. His down home country boy schtick played well with fans and then he became a tragic hero due to the health issues that forced him to "retire".

He was a good coach, and he laid a solid foundation for Fleck to build off of. Under Kill we never would have come anywhere close to what we are experiencing right now with Fleck. Recruiting would have been middle to bottom of the pack in the conference and we would have been good but never great, not a pushover, but never a true threat to move into the upper echelon of the conference.

I'm hopeful that here at some point in the near future our local media will stop going to Kill for any interviews, his time here is over, and as he clearly indicated to Doogie, he has moved on, hopefully never to be heard from again out here.

I really wish Coach Kill would have taken the opportunity to explain his previous comments better so everyone could move on. If he'd said he had an emotional response after interpreting some of Coach Fleck's comments as criticism of how he ran his program, I think we'd understand. If he took the time to realize that Coach Fleck was simply installing HIS culture, not trashing Kill's culture, we could all move on. The defensive nature of his response lets everything linger.

Thank you Coach Kill for getting us out of the muck. Thank you Coach Fleck for giving the program wings.

there was a time when I would have supported naming the football field after Kill but not now. Kill could have been gracious, taken the high ground but ...
I haven't heard any talk about naming the field after Kill. If naming the field after anyone is even being considered, how about naming it after someone who has won something? Bierman, Warmath, Bruce Smith, Bronco?

The Myth and Legend of Jerry Kill will forever be far greater than the man actually was for a lot of our fans. He was not in demand when he was hired here but he came in and righted the ship after the mess of the Brewster years. His down home country boy schtick played well with fans and then he became a tragic hero due to the health issues that forced him to "retire".

He was a good coach, and he laid a solid foundation for Fleck to build off of. Under Kill we never would have come anywhere close to what we are experiencing right now with Fleck. Recruiting would have been middle to bottom of the pack in the conference and we would have been good but never great, not a pushover, but never a true threat to move into the upper echelon of the conference.

I'm hopeful that here at some point in the near future our local media will stop going to Kill for any interviews, his time here is over, and as he clearly indicated to Doogie, he has moved on, hopefully never to be heard from again out here.

Agreed. He did a nice job and I was disappointed when he had to step down. However, it was obvious in the way he coached the Missouri game (not to lose) that made it clear we would be a good but middling team. There is no way, in my opinion, that our profile is at the level it is now with him and certainly not Tracey Claeys who would never have been a head coach other than the situation the program was in.

You new here?

Not at all. But it's easy to lose track of who is funny and who just plain doesn't know how to spell names. Do you know how many people there have been who are still horribly misspelling a player's name even during his 3rd or 4th year in the program?

Kill's legacy is cleaning up and the Gopher Football program after Brewster and the hard push for the Athletic Village to the finish line.

His legacy may be tarnished by one faux pas.

That is really really sad IMHO. He has done so much for Gopher Football. It was under Claeys that player accountability went out the door. Shenanigans happened under Claeys' watch. He is a good X & O guy. But, he lacked the other skills required of a football coach. It would have been different if Kill didn't have the seizures and was still the head coach.

I don't think keeping Claeys was in Coyle's long term plans. He wants Gopher Football to reach prominence. Claeys' public support for the player protest and the sex scandal gave Coyle a perfect cover to make the move to replace him with Fleck. The rest is history which is still being written.

When Coyle and Fleck were talking about culture, Kill took it personally as an affront to the football culture he created at the U. A tad of jealousy probably made things worse. He lashed out in a public way and said very personal things about Fleck he probably regrets. This will haunt him forever.

It is time to move on. Let time heal old wounds, and focus on college football restarting.

Top Bottom